PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a good tent?

flatfeet
11-01-2010, 00:24
Narrowed it down to a few. Currently trying to decide between the
MSR Hubba, The Hubba HP and the Hillenberg Akto.

I'm wondering about the MSRs. Particularly how does the HP do with
breathability/ condensation. I like that it has more fabric and less no-see ums.
How does the HP compare to the original? Is it worth the extra cost...it is lighter too....:-?

SweetAss03
11-01-2010, 00:38
Can't go wrong with MSR. Condensation has never been a problem in my hubba. Some make lighter tents but MSR is a great company to deal with if you have issues later on.

bigcranky
11-01-2010, 07:32
Is this tent for a standard AT thru-hike? Then the Akto is likely overkill. Plenty of Hubbas out there, and people seem happy with them.

Chaco Taco
11-01-2010, 07:42
go for the Hubba. You can find them pretty cheap right about now and they are very popular. We have the Hubba Hubba and love it. No condensation issues at all, nice size vestibule. Great tent!

nox
11-01-2010, 10:11
Did you check out the REI Quarterdome? I have one and it is a sweet tent. Definitely take a look at it before you drop the money.

sbhikes
11-01-2010, 10:26
What about one of the lightweight tents from Gossamer Gear, Six Moons Designs, Tarptent? Since people on the AT use shelters periodically, I would think you'd want to save weight on a piece of gear that isn't necessarily used every day.

DapperD
11-01-2010, 11:08
What about one of the lightweight tents from Gossamer Gear, Six Moons Designs, Tarptent? Since people on the AT use shelters periodically, I would think you'd want to save weight on a piece of gear that isn't necessarily used every day.I'm sure these are all good, but it appears he has already narrowed down his decision to these select few:-?.

Narrowed it down to a few. Currently trying to decide between the
MSR Hubba, The Hubba HP and the Hillenberg Akto.

I'm wondering about the MSRs. Particularly how does the HP do with
breathability/ condensation. I like that it has more fabric and less no-see ums.
How does the HP compare to the original? Is it worth the extra cost...it is lighter too....:-?I would consider either of the Hubba's, the HP being probably better for the colder times. The Akto would be better for bad, stormy, cold weather, not so much for the summer months.

BSF-Hiker
11-01-2010, 12:30
I've got the MSR Hubba. It's a great tent and no problems with it at all.

swjohnsey
11-01-2010, 14:57
Eureka Backcountry I is a little heavier 3' 12" (actual weight) and a lot cheaper but a good, durable tent.

Many Walks
11-01-2010, 18:52
The wife and I thru'd with the MSR Hubba Hubba. It was a great tent and it held up well even in the worst of weather. Since then we got a REI Quarterdome T2. We had it on the Lost Coast Trail and one day we went up high on rattlesnake ridge where the winds really kicked up pushing the tent over sideways. It was so strong I thought the poIes were going to break. While the wife was holding it down on the inside I went out to tie some guy lines to hold it against the wind. It held up well and is basically the same design, but at less cost than the MSR. I actually caught the floor display on sale in San Jose for $149 (lucky day). You can't go wrong with either tent IMO.

jabowman7
11-01-2010, 19:04
I've heard nothing but good things about the Hubba models. Personally, I'm a big fan of my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room to stretch out. No problems with condensation so far and pretty darn sturdy—last time I used it was during high winds and heavy rain, and there was no leakage throughout the night. The vestibule is big enough for your pack and boots, so you don't have to make room for them inside should the weather get nasty.

I think my favorite feature, however, is the 360 degree bug screen. If the weather is nice, you can leave the rain cover off and stare up at the stars without worrying about man-eating mosquitos. I think the Hubba only has half a screen on the tent, so that's actually one of the main reasons I went with BA. I think the tent usually runs for about $220-$250, but keep your eyes open for sales: I got mine at REI for $150. It's a solid choice.

Tim51
11-02-2010, 18:07
Im using a Black Diamond HiLite. It's about 3 Lbs.... I almost went with the Six Moons Lunar solo, it's lighter and cheaper, but given the fact that i am starting in Feb...and intend to rarely use the trail shelters, i wanted something that wasn't too flimsy. I think i will be happy with it, it's roomy...and will hold up well in bad weather, although a bit pricey.

gungho
11-02-2010, 18:27
lightheart duo is awesome

redwing
11-02-2010, 21:04
Have used my Hubba in driving rain and 50mph winds...bone dry. Everytime, always!

mateozzz
11-02-2010, 21:54
I really like the Sierra Designs XT 1. As long as you are 5'11" or less you'll fit. Tall enough to sit up in, wide enough to put boots and stuff next to you. Vestibule is big enough to lay your pack in. The door also zips from the top to give a nice vent to keep the humidity low. Weighs 3 lbs and is well built, not flimsy material. Needs 3 stakes to tightly stake out.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-124-lightning-xt-1.aspx

pjkirk
11-02-2010, 23:44
Anybody have experience w/ the Mt. Hardwear Sprite?

I have a Quarter-dome 2-person that I bought before I knew what I was really looking for. I like the extra width (I sleep on my side w/ an arm splayed out always), and would be cramped in a normal 1-man tent. The size/weight is an issue though - it's certainly not atrocious, but more than I'd like to carry. Especially given that where I am it's rare to find crowded shelters or very mousy shelters.

The vestibute in the Sprite makes me think I'd find it very nice though....

Buzz Saw
11-03-2010, 07:33
Eureka Spitfire 1 is a 2lb. 12oz. for under $100. I have had mine out in rain and stayed dry also my pack fits inside with me I'm 5' 10". Easy set up can get by with two stakes and side entry door is nice. Seems to be nice tent for the money guess time will tell.

Chrisj
11-10-2010, 02:12
MSR Hubba all the way.
I own a Hubba that I will be using for my Thru-hike this spring...I also have a Hubba Hubba for when my girlfriend goes with me. I wouldn't have any other tent.

Bucherm
11-10-2010, 02:31
I'm liking my Sierra Designs Vapor Light, I also have a Backcountry 1 as my backup/spare tent.

TheChop
11-10-2010, 05:15
Got a Hubba Hubba and have had absolutely no problems with it. I'm considering getting a lighter tent for a thru hike. I'm a little torn. It's weighty but I really love the way it makes this little insulated area for me.

Morpheus
11-10-2010, 15:46
Nemo Meta 1. More interior and vestible room than Hubbas. One pound lighter than Hubbas. And most importantly: Fast easy setup in downpour.
Simply stake out four corners, insert hiking pole, and stake out front and back. Bug netting integrated instead of tarp designs.
I have Hubba Hubba & Big Agnes Emerald Mtn 1. Great tents, but in downpour you have to setup fly first, then tent underneath if you want to keep interior dry.
The trade off for weight is single wall construction (increased condensation). Can't have everything. I saw this @ Traildaze and was very impressed.
Oh one more thing. It's Soylent green for stealthy camping and makes a great snack!;)

SawnieRobertson
11-10-2010, 18:38
lightheart duo is awesome

You mention this but give no info about why you find it so good. Please do. I'm interested, and so are others.--Kinnickinic

skinewmexico
11-11-2010, 17:43
You mention this but give no info about why you find it so good. Please do. I'm interested, and so are others.--Kinnickinic

But.........but............but............. Lightheart is a cottage manufacturer, and not from a monster conglomerate sold at REI!! And it's not heavy! How could it be any good?