PDA

View Full Version : finishing GA 1st week of Dec?

trixie
11-01-2010, 09:07
Hey guys - I'm thinking of hiking south from North Carolina to Neels Gap the first week of December. I've looked at the weather in places close by and it looks like highs in 50s and lows in 30s. What do you guys think about it? I think 5 or 6 days should be sufficient. Is the weather generally ok? Anything else I need to be thinking about? Thanks!

bigcranky
11-01-2010, 10:23
That sounds about right. I'd be prepared for a cold snap, and darkness, but in general I like hiking that time of year.

Wear some blaze orange. I have a blaze orange silnylon pack cover that I use in the fall.

Slo-go'en
11-01-2010, 11:39
You just never know what to expect weather wise until a few days before the trip and even then you can't count on it for sure. Just hope its a dry cold and not a wet cold!

One thing you know for sure is a lack of daylight hours. That means you'll be spending a lot of time in the sleeping bag or just hanging out. So make sure your bag and cloths are good for a lot colder temps then the averages might lead you to belive you'll need. Bring a good book (or two) and spare batteries for the headlamp!

FatMan
11-01-2010, 14:52
What I can tell you is that it most likely won't be the averages you stated above. It will either be much colder or much warmer. December is not a month that follows averages in these parts. It is the mild warmth and freezing that make up the averages. December can be one of the best months to hike GA, it can also be one of the worst. Also, remember to subtract about 5-8 degrees from the forecast because of the elevation difference between the local towns and the trail.

trixie
11-03-2010, 10:30
Thanks guys! :)

scope
11-03-2010, 10:38
What I can tell you is that it most likely won't be the averages you stated above. It will either be much colder or much warmer. December is not a month that follows averages in these parts. It is the mild warmth and freezing that make up the averages. December can be one of the best months to hike GA, it can also be one of the worst. Also, remember to subtract about 5-8 degrees from the forecast because of the elevation difference between the local towns and the trail.

Yeah, I would be prepared for freezing weather at night (water bottle?) and early morning, but certainly be prepared to have to strip to a tshirt some afternoons.