PDA

View Full Version : Candles/Candle Lanterns

Lyle
11-01-2010, 12:13
Just wondering, does anyone still use candles and candle lanterns any more? It's been a few years since I've seen them used on the trail. Before the advent of LED headlamps, candle use was VERY prevalent.

I still enjoy the warmth inside a tent from a candle lantern in the winter. Staring into a candle flame is also soothing, just like a camp-fire. Plus, a candle makes an excellent emergency fire starter. I kinda miss candles, but must admit, for most hiking, they get left home.

How about you?

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2010, 13:13
Yea they still sell-they offer a little warmth in the tent and can be switched for citronella otherwise too heavy.

flemdawg1
11-01-2010, 14:29
Nope, they don't provide enough light to do anything useful with. I carried mine twice, and have since left it behind. I just use my headlamp whenever I actually need to see, otherwise I like it dark.

WinterWarlock
11-01-2010, 14:32
I still use mine (as long as the tent is vented) - it does add some warmth to the tent, and is easier to use for general lighting than the headlamp.

leaftye
11-01-2010, 14:52
I would love to use mine, but I don't want to carry it. I haven't used it since my Boy Scout days.

mykl
11-01-2010, 15:38
I always bring mine. My friend does to. Use them for added light, great for when there is no fire pit and want some light at your site that you don't have to keep turning on and off. Adds nice atmosphere as well. Never thought of using them to heat a tent, but can't imagine it doing much. They also work well to mark were your tent is or a pee spot or something like that. I find the weight worth it.

Toolshed
11-01-2010, 15:43
I still carry mine - I use to to provide a little warmth an ambience in my tent in Late autumn, winter and early spring. One would be surprised at how much heat it puts out - Especially in a small 1.5-2 person tent.

I love the design and the simplicity. Mine is around 21 years old now - I can still remember the day I got it in '89 - I thought it was one of the coolest things around.

Pedaling Fool
11-01-2010, 16:19
Never carried a lantern, but I have carried little candles because the wax is a good fire starter when in wet conditions -- I'm always building a fire.

JEBjr
11-01-2010, 18:49
Anyone tried a water lite from minibull designs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9f5LNSEO-c

Hikes in Rain
11-01-2010, 20:11
Almost always carry the candle lantern. When the sun goes down, everyone gathers around the natural light.

10-K
11-01-2010, 20:31
Sometimes I'll take my candle lantern on a short hike in the winter. It's pretty neat actually.

nox
11-01-2010, 21:20
I keep two little tea candles in my first aid kit, never used them and now that i think about it they are probably about 6 years old. I'll still leave them in there just in case i need some light and my headlamps dead or to start a small fire if i can't find any dry kindling.

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2010, 21:21
I gave my lantern up for lent ... One has to respectfully give something up .. Mine was the light at the end of the tent..... hmmm the perverbal light at the end of the tunnel... due to cap and trade....taxes... etc,

rainmaker
11-01-2010, 22:04
It seems that a candle lantern, along with a wee bit of Brandy, is the one luxury that Madame always insists on carrying. We learned many years ago when staying in shelters that mice do not like that flickering light. It spooks them. Also, we found that a candle served as a beacon when we had to get up during very dark and foggy nights.

Of course we always asked if our shelter mates objected. None ever did.

Erin
11-02-2010, 00:13
My brother loaned me one in a little light weight lantern and candle when I first started hiking. I gave it back because it was too heavy and I use a headlamp. I also thought I might burn my tent down. But he used it in the 70's on the AT and know he has hung on to it.

verber
11-02-2010, 12:22
I used to use a candle lantern and/or a small oil/wick candle replacement. They were nice, and sometimes I miss them on winter trips for the extra warmth... but I find LED lights much easier to use, and much more efficient from weight -vs- amount/runtime of the light.

--Mark

mykl
11-02-2010, 12:34
I still carry mine - I use to to provide a little warmth an ambience in my tent in Late autumn, winter and early spring. One would be surprised at how much heat it puts out - Especially in a small 1.5-2 person tent.

I love the design and the simplicity. Mine is around 21 years old now - I can still remember the day I got it in '89 - I thought it was one of the coolest things around.

Again, I never thought of using my candle lantern to add some heat to a tent. I never even used it in the tent. I'm going to give it a try next week.
Has anyone experienced or heard of a candle lantern catching a tent on fire? I can't see how really, but you never know.

pjkirk
11-02-2010, 12:53
I like them a lot, so I just bought one a couple weeks ago. I don't know if I'd carry it for a thru-hike, but for a few days, I definitely would (I got the tea-light version). I'm making my own candles for it though, since the normal tea lights don't provide much light on their own...I'm making ones w/ larger wicks/shorter burn-times.

Yeah, I can get light from a headlamp, but this is just nice and comforting when you can't have a fire.

grayfox
11-02-2010, 13:02
I like them a lot, so I just bought one a couple weeks ago. I don't know if I'd carry it for a thru-hike, but for a few days, I definitely would (I got the tea-light version). I'm making my own candles for it though, since the normal tea lights don't provide much light on their own...I'm making ones w/ larger wicks/shorter burn-times.

Yeah, I can get light from a headlamp, but this is just nice and comforting when you can't have a fire.

If you find the ones that are solid wax, as opposed to compressed little beads of wax, they work better. I like to change the wicks to just a bit larger than what they come with. I found several sizes at Hobby Lobby.

QUOTE=mykl;1064916]Again, I never thought of using my candle lantern to add some heat to a tent. I never even used it in the tent. I'm going to give it a try next week.
Has anyone experienced or heard of a candle lantern catching a tent on fire? I can't see how really, but you never know.[/QUOTE]

Usually they just drip wax on your sleeping bag. When there is enough room, I put my lantern, the tall version, in my shoe so it stays upright and out of the way.

Miner
11-02-2010, 13:03
I use to take mine all the time. I have a reflector that fits over the top to reflect all the light downward so I could read under it with it hanging over me in my tent (make sure there is at least several inches between the lantern top and the tent fabric and your tent has some ventilation). I occasionally take it today if I'm going to be on a social group trip where no fires are allowed or if I'm going out in winter (for the small warmth factor in the tent). Otherwise it stays behind due to weight. Which is a shame since I still like the idea of it.

Lyle
11-02-2010, 13:51
Again, I never thought of using my candle lantern to add some heat to a tent. I never even used it in the tent. I'm going to give it a try next week.
Has anyone experienced or heard of a candle lantern catching a tent on fire? I can't see how really, but you never know.

I've even used open candles in my old tents. Candles generally go out if they tip over. Bigger concern is something getting too close, so have to use proper diligence - don't fall asleep with one burning. Candle lanterns offer more protection, plus you get less flickering and the candles last much longer as a result.

Older coated nylon tents were treated to be fire resistant by law. New tents, made of silnylon are VERY flammable, so even more care would be needed. Keeping a knife handy, just in case you need to create a quick emergency exit is probably wise also if you break out a candle inside a tent. Place the candle in a cooking pot if using it on the floor or hang it several inches down from the ceiling. Fire of any kind inside a tent demands care. Also make sure there is adequate ventilation - most tents have this automatically. Biggest concern would be once the tent gets covered with snow or ice.

medicjimr
11-03-2010, 16:18
I use mine all the time switched to tea light now little lighter

LIhikers
11-03-2010, 16:24
I haven't used my candle lantern in years.
It was nice to have along when I used to do bicycle camping trips. That little bit of extra weight and bulk didn't mean as much then when the weight was hanging off my bicycle's rack instead of my back.

lustreking
11-03-2010, 20:18
Anyone tried a water lite from minibull designs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9f5LNSEO-c

I probably won't ever carry it (I haven't carried my UCO candle lantern since Scouts), but I'm definitely going to build one of these. Thanks for the link!

mykl
11-04-2010, 10:05
Anyone carry/use the butane lanterns? Like this kind:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85283

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2010, 12:59
I suspect Europe is more into the butane lantern, as a side kick to cooking on the cylinders. More common in Mountaineering.

10-K
11-04-2010, 14:38
http://stpeters.scouting.org.nz/gallery/5_Tent_Fire_%20Photos/Tent%20Burning%20004.jpg

Candle lantern gone wild.

Tinker
11-04-2010, 14:58
I had one of the heavy spring loaded ones that took a full candle - sold it. Bought one of the lighter tea light models - still have it - use it occasionally for car camping, mostly because I still carry tea light candles as fire starters - they're cheaper than Esbit tabs and don't stink as much.
Would I buy one now?
Nope! LED lights are far more efficient and safer, too (if you really want a dedicated camp light, that is).

mykl
11-04-2010, 20:40
I suspect Europe is more into the butane lantern, as a side kick to cooking on the cylinders. More common in Mountaineering.
I would think that the butane would not work so well in cold, mountaineering conditions.

Bama Jack & Sadie
11-04-2010, 21:04
I still carry my spring loaded wind resistant candle. I usually get a chuckle when I break it out in a shelter but everyone usually digs it once it is lit. I also like to have it at the tent sometimes as a front porch light so I can find my way back from the privy.

burntoutphilosopher
11-04-2010, 21:57
i can attest to butane not working in the cold climates ...

in EU and even up here NAPTHA of many forms 'white gas' is still quite popular for cold weather camping.

The Snowman
11-05-2010, 16:16
still use my little tea light lamp almost every trip. try warming up your hands on a LED and you will apracate the candle

mykl
11-05-2010, 19:42
try warming up your hands on a LED and you will apracate the candle

LOL
True....

Blissful
11-05-2010, 19:53
I wouldn't burn a candle in my tent, but that's me.

lustreking
11-08-2010, 21:16
I probably won't ever carry it (I haven't carried my UCO candle lantern since Scouts), but I'm definitely going to build one of these. Thanks for the link!

Finished my waterlite today. I wasn't able to find the Dole juice bottle, so I used a 15.2 oz Ocean Spray bottle and a Sprite Zero bottle. Works fine. Weighs under 2.2 oz, with a heavier handle than the video, but without the cover.