PDA

View Full Version : Water Report: Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana

ChinMusic
11-01-2010, 12:42
We are dry as a bone here in Illinois. I've been watching the weather for the area south of the Smokies and it seems like they got some good rains last week.

How are the water sources for this section? Any marked source, especially at shelters, known to be dry?

A few of us are heading out on 11/6.

Cabin Fever
11-01-2010, 19:25
I did Fontana to NOC a couple of weeks ago and it was very dry. We found water near the top of the first climb out of Fontana (Walker something) and then at Locust Cove Gap on the north side of Cheaoh Bald, but that was very sketchy. We had to do it Bear Grylls style (hole, puddle, pump dry, repeat). Other hikers said that there was good water at Sassafrass Gap. We did not stop there. There were also reports of a small source along a private drive near Stecoah Gap, but we never found it. I would consider stashing water at Stecoah if you have the opportunity.

ChinMusic
11-02-2010, 10:00
Thanks. Anyone else got any info on water sources?

brian2o0o
11-02-2010, 14:05
I did Albert Mtn to Wayah Bald a couple of weekends ago before we got the rain. The two or three piped springs were flowing pretty good, and the bigger creeks around Wallace Gap and Hwy 64 had plenty of water. I filled up at the spring near Siler Bald shelter, it was flowing pretty good.

Ron Haven
11-03-2010, 00:31
We are dry as a bone here in Illinois. I've been watching the weather for the area south of the Smokies and it seems like they got some good rains last week.

How are the water sources for this section? Any marked source, especially at shelters, known to be dry?

A few of us are heading out on 11/6.I haven't heard any of the water supplies were dry but some were reported low. We have rain in the forecast for tomorrow though.