PDA

View Full Version : Data Book/Thur Hikers Handbook/AT Guide

tawa
11-01-2010, 14:08
I want to purchase the best one of these three books for my NOBO thru hike. Interesting in which one others have used and their recommendation. Also, will the 2011 editions be out in time for me to get one before leaving March 1st?
If the Thru Hikers Handbook by Bob McCaw is the one I'm thinking of it has a green outter cover correct? I do like the fact that it has the elevation chart across the bottom of each page that you are currently hiking.
Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.
Tawa
PS: I have also ordered a set of maps.

tawa
11-01-2010, 14:09
Ops that should read ---Thru Hikers Handbook.

emerald
11-01-2010, 14:13
A link to the online Companion appears at the bottom of my post. Someone else will post the links to the other two handbooks.

Wrangler88
11-01-2010, 14:35
AT Guide

A ton of info in a great format.
Has the elevation profile as well.

emerald
11-01-2010, 14:53
Appalachian Trail Data Book is an Appalachian Trail Conservancy publication available from The Ultimate Appalachian Trail Store.

A consolidation of the basic information from all 11 A.T. guidebooks into a lightweight table of distances between major Appalachian Trail shelters, road crossings, and features--divided according to the guidebook volumes and updated each fall to account for relocations, new or removed shelters, and other changes. Also keyed to maps.

SGT Rock
11-01-2010, 14:54
AT Guide for hiking, Companion for carrying on my phone and a hard copy of the Companion for leaving with my HQ.

RevLee
11-01-2010, 15:22
The AT Guide worked well for me. I had an unbound copy divided among my supply boxes and a bound copy at home.

Near the back of the guide is a high level map of the trail that I wished I had taken at the beginning. It gives you an indication of the cities and highways are around you, something I felt a little clueless about at times.

Awol2003
11-01-2010, 15:50
2011 editions for all of your choices are typically available by mid-January. Using the up-to-date book is recommended; you'd be surprised by how many changes are made to them each year.
Websites:
trailplace.com - Thru-Hiker's Handbook
theATguide.com - The A.T. Guide

Luddite
11-01-2010, 16:35
I like the Thru Hiker's Handbook the best. I find the maps useless.

Trailbender
11-01-2010, 17:16
I used the Data Book on my thru and it was ok, but I regretted the lack of more detailed information sometimes. I would probably take something else next time, even for extra weight.

Praha4
11-01-2010, 17:18
I've used AWOL's AT Guide for 2010 and highly recommend it. Looking for the 2011 edition early next year.

Luddite
11-01-2010, 17:35
I've used AWOL's AT Guide for 2010 and highly recommend it. Looking for the 2011 edition early next year.

Whats good about it? You think its better than Wingfoot? I've never heard of it.

Red Hat
11-01-2010, 17:42
The AT Guide worked well for me. I had an unbound copy divided among my supply boxes and a bound copy at home.

That is exactly what I did. It worked great! Couldn't find a better guide.

Red Hat
11-01-2010, 17:46
Whats good about it? You think its better than Wingfoot? I've never heard of it.

Wingfoot stopped doing the book several years ago, now McCaw does the Thru Hiker Handbook. Awol started the AT Guide about the same time and it has gotten better each year. What's good: descriptions and details in same area (within a page or two, at least), town maps, profiles, accurate info about water, shelters, campsites, etc.

LIhikers
11-01-2010, 22:27
As some one who does short section hikes of the AT I've had good luck with The Thruhikers Handbook.

alverhootzt
12-12-2010, 18:47
Didn't I read something about the A.T. Guide and Thru-Hiker Companion being combined?

Roland
12-12-2010, 18:52
Didn't I read something about the A.T. Guide and Thru-Hiker Companion being combined?

Yes (http://www.theatguide.com/HowDiff.html) you did. Well, sort of. The AT Guide and the Thru-Hikers Handbook have merged.

The AT Companion (http://aldha.org/companyn.htm) is a document published by ALDHA.

Lauriep
12-12-2010, 19:50
The A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion is edited by ALDHA, published by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

The Companion does not have the profiles, but the official A.T. maps (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?catid=150&submit.x=12&submit.y=9)do. You rarely need maps to follow the A.T. itself, but they can be critical if you or someone else you encounter has an emergency.

If you want to have any understanding of the lay of the land, the mountains you are on, or what you are seeing at a viewpoint, only the maps can give you that. None of the thru-hiker guides (including the Companion) can give you that. In many places the A.T. does anything but go in a straight line; without a map you really don't have much of an idea where you are.

Laurie P.
ATC

Roland
12-12-2010, 19:51
The A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion is edited by ALDHA, published by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
~
Laurie P.
ATC

Thanks for clearing that up, Laurie.

Pony
12-12-2010, 23:13
If you want to have any understanding of the lay of the land, the mountains you are on, or what you are seeing at a viewpoint, only the maps can give you that. None of the thru-hiker guides (including the Companion) can give you that. In many places the A.T. does anything but go in a straight line; without a map you really don't have much of an idea where you are.

ATC

Best argument I've heard on the whole map vs. no map argument.

BrianLe
12-13-2010, 14:26
I think it's going to be tough to get a good comparative review of guides, as most people only use one at a time --- a lot of "I happened to have used this one and liked it" comments aren't IMO going to do you a lot of good.

However, since you can get the Companion in pdf format for free, it was easy to compare that to what I "happened to have" used, the Awol's AT Guide.

More useful in comparing was when my hiking partner would mention something from his guidebook (I forget which one, not the AT Guide or the Companion) that either provided data mine didn't or conflicted with it. My overall feeling, however, is that they're all pretty good.

I liked the AT Guide a lot, and would recommend it in particular for those going SOBO (there's a SOBO edition), or those who like the idea of buying an unbound version --- i.e., easy to split up into per-maildrop and per-day chunks. I used my bandsaw to cut up the guidebooks for the PCT.

The one thing I would caution for anyone using the AT Guide is to not get too wrapped around the axel with regards to the elevation profiles. This is one of the cool things about the AT Guide, the elevation profile being sort of integrated into the data. But it's just hard to avoid the trap of trying to look at that too literally, and being thus somewhat disappointed or annoyed as a result. Look at the profile as a general idea of what's coming ahead, but not as a really specific thing. Since it's right there on the page, however, I found myself looking too literally for much of the trip, it just took a long time to sort of "de-focus" on that part of the ~data.

Fredsnow
12-13-2010, 14:31
I like the companion

tawa
12-19-2010, 16:09
Thanks Roland. Do u know where I could order the new book for 2011--Thru Hikers Handbook or the merged one. I really liked the elevation chart on the same page that u are currently hiking on.
Thanks for your help.
Tawa
PS: In 3010 this book had a green cover I believe.

Sly
12-19-2010, 16:29
Yes (http://www.theatguide.com/HowDiff.html) you did. Well, sort of. The AT Guide and the Thru-Hikers Handbook have merged.

The AT Companion (http://aldha.org/companyn.htm) is a document published by ALDHA.

Actually it's edited by ALDHA but, it's published by and proceeds from sales go to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. I believe the original intent was a companion book to the maps and data book.

Ooops, saw where it was explained in the very next post.

Roland
12-19-2010, 16:46
Thanks Roland. Do u know where I could order the new book for 2011--Thru Hikers Handbook or the merged one. I really liked the elevation chart on the same page that u are currently hiking on.
Thanks for your help.
Tawa
PS: In 3010 this book had a green cover I believe.

You can pre-order (http://www.shop.theatguide.com/) it directly from Awol. Note that it is available in NOBO and SOBO versions, bound or loose-leaf.

RockDoc
12-20-2010, 01:08

Excellent statement.

If you have a good map and know how to read it, there's little reason to have any of those guide books. A map simply answers more questions more accurately than any other source.

except perhaps for notes about where to stay or eat in towns, which you can often find out more accurately by word of mouth

10-K
12-20-2010, 08:36
Excellent statement.

If you have a good map and know how to read it, there's little reason to have any of those guide books. A map simply answers more questions more accurately than any other source.

except perhaps for notes about where to stay or eat in towns, which you can often find out more accurately by word of mouth

I carry both but if I had to only carrry one (guidebook or map) I'd take a guidebook.

Guidebooks may not show the lay of the land but they do tell you where road crossings and services are - which in an emergency is probably going to be more helpful than a picture of the land around you.... maybe not - but probably.

firestarter
12-20-2010, 21:13
I started at Katahdin with the Thru-Hiker's Companion, and loved being able to read all the information that put the trail in historical and cultural context/was frustrated by all that the somewhat significant (though perhaps nameless climbs) that the mileage breakdown seemed to have left out.

I switched to the AT Southbound Guide in Harper's Ferry for the elevation profile, in hope of eliminating the "surprises" of a data book style guide, and for the parking lot waypoints (should anyone want to meet me or slackpack me). Took it to Springer, well worth the $15 bucks.

And maps, ahhhh, maps are a solo female hiker's best friend. Yes, a guidebook will tell you about the roads intersecting the trail, but for one's own safety, it's nice to know what roads/civilization are around you and generally try to avoid camping anywhere near them (if you're me!). This is mostly important in the middle third of the trail...