PDA

View Full Version : Trail Report BMT Deals Gap to Unicoi Gap...

SGT Rock
11-01-2010, 15:07
I just got in yesterday from hiking this section. I'll post some pictures and a more informative trip report in a couple of days. For now...

The trail is in this area is mostly excellent shape. A lot of trail work has been done over the past year especially in the "Heart of Darkness" which is also known as the State Line Trail between Unicoi Gap and Sled Runner Gap. There are a couple of very small pieces that could use some light brush work, but with winter coming on some of that will die back until spring anyway. The blow downs were mostly all taken care of until the big storm last week, and now there are a few fresh ones that need cut, but it is an easy bypass on all of them.

Water is fine in all creeks and streams, some springs and seeps are very low. Hopefully snow and rain pick back up in the coming winter. With a little work of clearing leaves out of pools you can still get water at almost every source listed in my book and the Data Book.

Something I alluded to earlier and want to expand on is the "Heart of Darkness". In 2008 when I hiked it, the only reason I could still get through this section was due to unauthorized ATV traffic keeping the brush down in a "path" that could be followed on the ridge. At that time I could occasionally see blazes in the middle of brier patches off to the side of my path that I could not have reached. This year some new trail maintainers were recruited and a lot of effort was put into getting that section cleared. Now there is a clear trail with about 4' wide of total area cleared in most places. Only a couple of very recent blow downs were in this section, and the blazing is now very easy to follow. It is probably the best blazed section of the BMT now. Finding water and camp sites is still a little sketchy since there hasn't been a lot of camping along this portion of the trail for many years. But there are now blue blazes leading to the known water sources and there are a couple of places along the ridge where camping could be done - but there are not any established fire rings that normally highlight established campsites to most hikers.

Hikerhead
11-01-2010, 19:00
I just got in yesterday from hiking this section. I'll post some pictures and a more informative trip report in a couple of days. For now...

The trail is in this area is mostly excellent shape. A lot of trail work has been done over the past year especially in the "Heart of Darkness" which is also known as the State Line Trail between Unicoi Gap and Sled Runner Gap. There are a couple of very small pieces that could use some light brush work, but with winter coming on some of that will die back until spring anyway. The blow downs were mostly all taken care of until the big storm last week, and now there are a few fresh ones that need cut, but it is an easy bypass on all of them.

Water is fine in all creeks and streams, some springs and seeps are very low. Hopefully snow and rain pick back up in the coming winter. With a little work of clearing leaves out of pools you can still get water at almost every source listed in my book and the Data Book.

Something I alluded to earlier and want to expand on is the "Heart of Darkness". In 2008 when I hiked it, the only reason I could still get through this section was due to unauthorized ATV traffic keeping the brush down in a "path" that could be followed on the ridge. At that time I could occasionally see blazes in the middle of brier patches off to the side of my path that I could not have reached. This year some new trail maintainers were recruited and a lot of effort was put into getting that section cleared. Now there is a clear trail with about 4' wide of total area cleared in most places. Only a couple of very recent blow downs were in this section, and the blazing is now very easy to follow. It is probably the best blazed section of the BMT now. Finding water and camp sites is still a little sketchy since there hasn't been a lot of camping along this portion of the trail for many years. But there are now blue blazes leading to the known water sources and there are a couple of places along the ridge where camping could be done - but there are not any established fire rings that normally highlight established campsites to most hikers.

I agree about the Heart of Darkness. The 4 wheelers made it a little easier to get thru that section. The 4 foot high May Apples were the biggest problem there for me and I don't know if there's much that you can do about them. My hiking poles have almost no paint left on them mostly because of that section. At least they don't have thorns. Good report.

Bearpaw
11-01-2010, 21:12
The walk along Little Slickrock Creek is still pretty confusing. I made a wrong turn and wound up fording the Little Tennessee River a couple of confusing miles of bushwhack later.

I didn't see any blazes in the Citico or Kilmer-Slickrock Creek Wilderness areas. I could have used a couple along the many stream crossings of Little Slickrock Creek. I appreciated the signs along Slickrock Creek the next day when I backtracked to cover the trail I missed from my losing the trail.

The walk along the ridgeline was remarkably smooth, MUCH better than what I experienced in the wilderness portions of the BMT in Georgia in 2005.

I'll post a trip report when I finally have some down time from school.

I'm looking forward to finishing the BMT this December through the Smokies.

SGT Rock
11-02-2010, 06:58
The walk along Little Slickrock Creek is still pretty confusing. I made a wrong turn and wound up fording the Little Tennessee River a couple of confusing miles of bushwhack later.

I didn't see any blazes in the Citico or Kilmer-Slickrock Creek Wilderness areas. I could have used a couple along the many stream crossings of Little Slickrock Creek. I appreciated the signs along Slickrock Creek the next day when I backtracked to cover the trail I missed from my losing the trail.

We can't blaze in that section.

There are some new posts with trail directions in the wilderness areas of TN/NC but they only make sense north bound or if you have hiked the area before. They are not great for southbounders. Also, apparently they are made of some sort of wood bears like to eat because despite being new, bears are already gnawing the hell out of 'em.

Pedaling Fool
11-02-2010, 07:17
I agree about the Heart of Darkness. The 4 wheelers made it a little easier to get thru that section. The 4 foot high May Apples were the biggest problem there for me and I don't know if there's much that you can do about them. My hiking poles have almost no paint left on them mostly because of that section. At least they don't have thorns. Good report.
Is this what you're talking about? http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/food/edibleplants/mayapple/index.html

And more info http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_mayapple.htm

Hikerhead
11-02-2010, 08:07
Is this what you're talking about? http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/food/edibleplants/mayapple/index.html

And more info http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_mayapple.htm

I saw where it says May Apples grow to 2 feet high so these were something else evidently. These were taller than my hiking poles which the second pic will show standing up among them.

jlb2012
11-02-2010, 09:36
HH - looks more like cow parsnip (Heracleum spp.) to me

Hikerhead
11-02-2010, 18:12
HH - looks more like cow parsnip (Heracleum spp.) to me

Thanks HOI... you..you...you... you exceptional plant identifier you.

royalusa
11-14-2010, 18:29
Wow, I think I'm glad we didn't realize that was cow parsnip that we bushwhacked through (waist-high) in early June of this year.

Just read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_Parsnip) that "the juices of all parts contain a phototoxin that can act on contact with skin and exposure to ultraviolet light (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Ultraviolet_light), causing anything from a mild rash to a blistering, severe dermatitis (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Dermatitis), depending on the sensitivity of the individual."

Luckily we were hiking in long pants due to all the poison ivy.