PDA

View Full Version : The new type of MRE's

Mother Natures Son
11-01-2010, 17:35
In the old days, I love winter camping & a good pack of MRE's. Today they have MCW/LRP (Cold Weather/Long Range Partrol). Does anyone sell them for a low price on the net? I can't seem to find any.

Luddite
11-01-2010, 17:38
Try Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Food-Packet-Cold-Weather-MCW-MRE-x5-/190463133806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c587cc86e#ht_500wt_949

Theres a lot of regular MREs on there too.

The Old Fhart
11-01-2010, 17:56
One of the best selection of MRE meal components and commercial freeze-dried foods is TheEpicenter.com (http://theepicenter.com/mre_freeze_dried_dehydrated_foods.html). I've bought a number of items from them without any problems. Like most Freeze-dried food and MREs you are paying for convenience so I use them to treat myself rather than eat them at every meal.

I will add the "hot pocket" type of MRE sandwiches (FSR) are really great!

Mags
11-01-2010, 21:54
Costco has 10 packs of the Mtn House meals (double pouches at about 600 calories total per pouch) for $40...or $4/ per pack. Compared to $6.50 per double pack at REI, not a bad price. As with OF, they can be a nice treat and/or something quick.

(I don't care for them generally. If I do a hot meal, there are bulk items like bulk just-add-water lentils, beans, cous cous, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes etc that are less expensive, better tasting, and less processed. The freeze dried meals are convenient, though!)

As a side note, Looking at the site OF mentioned, people must be getting ready for the Zombie Apocalypse!!! :)

12-MONTH SUPPLY - 3 Servings per Day (36 Buckets, 4320 Servings):

Brown Sugar Oatmeal (480)
Honey Glazed Granola (480)
Multi-Grain Cereal (480)
Stroganoff (288)
Beef Teriyaki and Rice (288)
Cheesy Macaroni (288)
Creamy Chicken Pasta (288)
Chicken Teriyaki and Rice (288)
Creamy Potato Soup (288)
Chicken Ala King (288)
Cheesy Lasagna (288)
Southwest Beans and Rice (288)
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup (288)

Wise-4320 Serving food supply. Price $6,495.00

fredmugs
11-02-2010, 06:30
I guess I can call myself Old Corps because I was on active duty when we switched my C-Rats to MREs. I got food poisoning and was so sick they almost helo-vac'ed me out of the field. Just seeing the letters MRE together make me nauseous.

Ironbelly
11-02-2010, 06:31
Cold Weather/LRP MREs arn't exactly new, they have been around since about the dawn of humanity... Ok, maybe I exagerate, but quite a while none the less.

wornoutboots
11-02-2010, 08:56
One of the best selection of MRE meal components and commercial freeze-dried foods is TheEpicenter.com (http://theepicenter.com/mre_freeze_dried_dehydrated_foods.html). I've bought a number of items from them without any problems. Like most Freeze-dried food and MREs you are paying for convenience so I use them to treat myself rather than eat them at every meal.

I will add the "hot pocket" type of MRE sandwiches (FSR) are really great!
I went to this site and an employee called me back the same day & is sending me a sample in the mail, seemed like there running a real good business.

mweinstone
11-02-2010, 13:08
member c rats? mmmmm.......rats. sokay....lets see if i remember the meals. there was fake ham and eggs that was my fave.and the peanut butter can was like sweet as hell. and their was jelly and crackers and knife fork spoonhalf pack o matches napkin mint toothpick hand wipe salt pepper instant coffie creamer sugar fruit cocktail,.....um,.........what else? i miss c rats!

Luddite
11-02-2010, 14:08
"the recent growth of MREs listed on eBay (2005) has resulted in a government investigation of whether they were intended for Hurricane Katrina victims, and the news media nickname "Meals Ready for eBay."[14] Some cases are being sold from Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and other Gulf states affected by Katrina. The internal cost of a 12 pack case of MREs is $86.98 (approx. $7.25 a meal) to the government, much higher than what is actually paid to vendors.[14] That said, MREs can be purchased by civilians directly from the contractors who supply MREs to the United States Government. These MREs are very similar to genuine US Government MREs, differing only in minor details (i.e. design of case and bag or type of spoon)."

I always thought the gum in MREs was a laxative, but Wikipedia says its a myth,

fredmugs
11-02-2010, 20:07
member c rats? mmmmm.......rats. sokay....lets see if i remember the meals. there was fake ham and eggs that was my fave.and the peanut butter can was like sweet as hell. and their was jelly and crackers and knife fork spoonhalf pack o matches napkin mint toothpick hand wipe salt pepper instant coffie creamer sugar fruit cocktail,.....um,.........what else? i miss c rats!

Turns out we're wrong. We were actually eating Meal, Combat, Individual rations which replaced C-Rats in 1958.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meal,_Combat,_Individual_ration

Beans and weenies, cheese spread, and the toffee for me. I worked in supply so I took what I wanted first. I'll take that over an MRE anyday. Still have my P-38 too.

Old Hiker
11-03-2010, 11:50

Pound cake in the can - put the fruit cocktail juice over it and enjoy!

Also have my P-38(s) - plural - as well!