PDA

View Full Version : BMT: Hwy GA 60 to US76 trail conditions?

Mocs123
11-02-2010, 10:04
I am doing the BMT section from GA 60 (BMT mile 17.9) to US76 (BMT mile 48.5) this weekend and was curious if anyone had done that section lately and could give me a water report and overview of trail conditions?

I would like to camp between Tipton Mountain (BMT mile 30.1) and Garland Gap (BMT mile 33) does anyone have a suggestion for the best campsite in the area? We will have a group of 3 with three tarps/tents. There are intermittent springs listed at mile 29.7 and 30.8 but I am assuming that they will probably not be flowing, does anyone know for sure?

Any other trail issues or concerns that I should know about?

Thanks!

tenninstr
11-02-2010, 13:29
Hi Mocs, just did mm0-mm36.4 at Shallowford Bridge about 2 weeks ago. Trail is in good shape and well marked. I could not find water at Payne Gap and I didn't check the intermittent springs you mention (I din't pass them-see below). When we hit GA60 at mm28.8 we needed water and could not find any. We thought we may have to hitch to Martin's Depot but as we walked sown the road in that direction we came across a nice spring. I'd say it was about .5 to .75 miles from the trail head. From there we bushwacked up the mountain and connected with FS45. We had planned on camping on Tipton Mountain but we were exhausted and since FS45 reconnects with the trail at the fire tower we just followed it a couple miles. In those couple miles we found a tiny spring that we were able to cook at and then a nice field to camp in (we weren't too interested in going up to Tipton because of the lack of water). I assume you know that at mm36.4 you will pass a very good resupply at the market there. Good hamburgers too. That's all I can think of right now. Sorry I don't have more info. Have fun and be safe.

royalusa
11-02-2010, 15:00
Hi Mocs. You might want to check out our trail journal for that area as it does contain some water and camping info for the section you are referring to. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317031

I would ignore our comments in the journal about it being really overgrown as the trail crews have been quite busy resolving that issue since we hiked it a few months ago.

Have a fun trip!