PDA

View Full Version : Specific headlamps

cotter
11-02-2010, 10:33
From the general lack of discussion on this topic, I figure this is not that important; but... just wondering if people have any strong opinions about what headlamp is a good blend of price / weight / lumens /battery / ease of use.

swjohnsey
11-02-2010, 10:43
Don't know 'bout strong opinion but if you can get by with the amount of light (completely adequate IMHO for breaking camp, cooking after dark, etc.) the Petzel Elite is about as small, light and compact as you can get. Not too expensive.

Helios
11-02-2010, 10:52
I picked up a small photon light that I use around my tarp for late night nature calls, etc... I got a pack of 5 for $2. They last forever, are extremely light and small, and are more than adequate for my needs. I don't night hike, and therefore don't need a headlamp.

Petzel Tika's seemed to be popular, from what I've noted.

garlic08
11-02-2010, 11:00
My Petzl Tikka has worked for me for about a decade, but I only use it around camp. It's barely OK for hiking, on a well marked, well-worn footpath like the AT. With average battery strength, you can see just past your feet and that's about it. If you plan on serious night hiking, get something more powerful than three LEDs.

If you only need something around camp, those little LED keychain lights are nice. Get one with a clip that can attach to the beak of a cap. I know a few thru hikers who use them.

I even know one hiker who lost his headlamp a few years ago and hasn't replaced it yet. He just sleeps at night. That's the simple way to go.

Grinder
11-02-2010, 11:03
I always seem to run out of time and then buy a walmart headlamp.

It's just fine except that the switch is exposed and tends to turn on in the pack and ,thus, kill the battery.

An extra set of batteries takes care of that.

At $10 or $15 they are a fair value. I would buy a name brand "good one" if:
1. I could integrate the purchase with other items to defray freight.
2 There was a consensus on a "best moderate price".

fehchet
11-02-2010, 11:09
Princeton Tec has some good ones. I have the Quad.

Spokes
11-02-2010, 11:22
Had a Petzl Tikka for years but traded it in for the Zipka when I thru hiked. Loved it and saved 12 grams.

http://www.petzl.com/files/imagecache/product_outdoor_slideshow_image/files/node_media/zipka_.jpg

Many Walks
11-02-2010, 11:43
Don't know 'bout strong opinion but if you can get by with the amount of light (completely adequate IMHO for breaking camp, cooking after dark, etc.) the Petzel Elite is about as small, light and compact as you can get. Not too expensive.
That's my vote too!

Boothill
11-02-2010, 11:51
i have a Princeton Tec Fuel, that is just a great light, puts out lots of light, has 3 output settings, is good and batteries and a good value, picked mine up for about $25

boot

Luddite
11-02-2010, 11:56

Yes, get the Elite. It weighs just under an ounce and is bright enough that you can walk around camp and read. You might be able to night hike with it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/ProductDisplay?partNumber=10085412&searchDisplay=1&langId=-1&storeId=10208&searchTerm=petzl+e+lite&catalogId=&cmCat=-10020&searchBean=com.moosejaw.commerce.search.beans.Sear chResultViewBean%4043bd7220

BobTheBuilder
11-02-2010, 12:16
I have a Black Diamond Spot, which is a great headlamp at 1.5 ounces + 3 AAA batteries, but this past section I took a Princeton Tec Scout, which is an ounce and a half, batteries included. It lasted the week without noticeable dimming, but I just used it around camp in the evening. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. The light was about 15 bucks and the replacement batteries are about 5 bucks. For a week long hike, it's a good deal.

verber
11-02-2010, 12:18
For just around camp task lighting just about anything works. If I need to do night time wayfinding with little light (young moon or clouds) I want something with good throw and decent brightness. The Zebralight H51 is my fav, though I am still very fond of the iTP A3 Updated flashlight. More thoughts on my recommended flashlight (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/misc.html#flashlights) page

--Mark

Rick500
11-02-2010, 13:57
I have a Princeton Quad and a Princeton Tec Fuel... both are perfectly adequate; no complaints with either.

Serial 07
11-02-2010, 14:17
Petzel Elite is great for around camp, it's bright enough and has a red light...but if you are a night hiker, i'd recommend the Black Diamond Spot...

bigcranky
11-02-2010, 15:17
I have a very strong opinion of the Petzl Zipka. I own two of them, and want to buy the most recent version with the second red LED.

The Zipka is light weight, provides plenty of light for various hiking use, and can be worn on the head, attached to a pack or a branch or a shelter ceiling (or a dog collar -- don't ask), and the batteries last forever.

Odd Man Out
11-02-2010, 15:35
I know this isn't exactly ultra-light, but they are cool and different. I have a Krill Light

http://www.kriana.com/aa-krill-lights

It is basically a plastic tube with two AA batteries inside and a screw cap at either end. There is a thin plastic sheet that lines the inside of the tube. When you tighten the screw cap, electric current flows though and it glows (electroluminescent). When on, it looks like a chemical glow stick. Unlike LED, these emit light in all directions. You can get a 180 degree model or 360 degree model. Because the light is not focused into a beam, during the day or at dusk they don't seem to do much. But when it is very dark, they throw out a surprising amount of light. I have used them while camping to find the latrine in the middle of the night. In the tent, you can hang them from a clip and light the whole tent. At first my family laughed at my new toy. But to demonstrate I took them into my bedroom at night and turned out all the lights. It was pitch black (couldn't see a thing). When I turned on the light, the whole room (12'x12') was illuminated. It probably wouldn't be my first choice for a thru hike, but convenient for camping/short trips.

leaftye
11-02-2010, 15:41
From the general lack of discussion on this topic, I figure this is not that important; but... just wondering if people have any strong opinions about what headlamp is a good blend of price / weight / lumens /battery / ease of use.

What do you mean? Type, life or both?

If it's merely about type, then the Zebralight H51. If it's about life and a little about type, then the Fenix HP10. If type doesn't matter but life does, then the Spark ST6-360. But the Pak-lite may also skew the numbers due to being weighing very very little and having long battery life.

What you really need is a weighting system or preferences. There's no best light when all the categories are wide open.

StubbleJumper
11-02-2010, 16:15
I don't generally feel the need to hike after dark because I usually wake up with the sun and that gives me plenty of time to do my miles. As a result, I've found that those little keychains provide more than enough light to take a pee or adjust my gear in the dark. I don't remember how many grams they weight, but I seem to recall that they are lighter than 10 grams. I'm not too sure what I'd do if the battery died and there wasn't a decent resupply option close at hand, but for the function/weight, I'll happily take my chances.

Spokes
11-02-2010, 16:22
I have a very strong opinion of the Petzl Zipka. I own two of them, and want to buy the most recent version with the second red LED.......

I ended up buying a red lens for the old Zipka model to maintain night vision. What amazed me was how many compliments I got from other hikers who appreciated not being "blinded" by my headlamp inside the shelter.

Sierra Echo
11-02-2010, 16:51
I have a black diamond spot. 75 lumens. I totally blinded my brother with it! :D:banana

Deadpete
11-02-2010, 17:17
Anyone have/use a SureFire Saint Minimus? If so, how do you feel about it?

I'm planning a thru, and plan on night hiking as much as I can when it's safe. I've read in reviews that some people can't get used to how the light emitted is flood like and not beamy. I understand only I can make that call for myself, but how did you adjust to it/feel about it?

Are the 123A lithium batteries hard to come by in resupply stops without mailing them ahead?

Thanks for your time : )

burntoutphilosopher
11-02-2010, 17:52
i have a black diamond spot, a princeton tech remix (2 actually) and a tikka.

... i like black diamond products, but that headlamp is the most poorly constructed i have ever owned. i would strongly recommend against it, it is not waterproof, the door does not close tightly on mine, and the length of push on the button is uneven.

the princeton tech remix is the best i think for compactness, construction, and output.

i have found they are all bright enough, it's being dim enough on low to still be functional that is hardest to find. the drown out the tent in light even on low.

surefire makes a headlamp that goes all the way down to one lumen (analogue) ... but i dont have it for two reasons, one is it is like 150$ !~! and two, it runs on CR123's.

i can't recommend the Princeton Tech Remix highly enough.

burntoutphilosopher
11-02-2010, 17:54
deadpete, we posted at the same time,

the minnimus is the one i was thinking of in my above post.

CR 123's were not anywhere that i saw on the PCT , but i only did south of KM.

i love that concept of being able to turn it way down. for the 2011 thru hike my wife and i are going to have one headlamp, and one little keychain light (the princeton tech scout i think it's called) dim, wide angled light PERFECT for in the tent at night.

Mountain Wildman
11-02-2010, 19:03
I have the Princeton Tec Remix, It weighs 3.0 ounces with 3 "AAA" batteries installed, It is so light that I cannot even tell I am wearing it!! Has a Super Bright LED and 3 standard LED's. I bought the 3 green LED version but they also have one with red or all regular clear LED's. I think I paid $35.00 for mine. It's an awesomely bright light, On my last trip everyone else from a distance looked like they had tiny dull candles on their heads while I had to apologize to everyone for blinding them for a second until I switched to the low setting.:sun

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2010, 19:17
1. LED Headlamps are horribly marked up.
2. a single LED isn't enough light for hiking as you get older. (Doesn't provide definition for roots and rocks) some units compensate with a big plastic reflector.
3. Watch batteries may be hard to find in trail towns, AAA lithium might provide an advantage.

leaftye
11-02-2010, 19:29
2. a single LED isn't enough light for hiking as you get older. (Doesn't provide definition for roots and rocks) some units compensate with a big plastic reflector.
3. Watch batteries may be hard to find in trail towns, AAA lithium might provide an advantage.

2. There are some very bright LED headlamps out there. Some people say they get much better definition if they wear their headlamp around their neck.

3. Agreed. I wouldn't want to bother with the hassle unless I had a bounce box to put spares in.

Sarcasm the elf
11-02-2010, 21:07
I currently use a PETZL Tikka Plus 1 high output led, 1 red light. It's a decent lamp and it works well enough for night hiking.

Whatever you decide on, I'd recommend getting one that also has the red light, works well when used around others who are sleeping without waking them up.

cotter
11-02-2010, 21:15
Just to clarify;

I am looking for something bright enough to night hike, with a red setting for camp, AA or AAA batteries, long battery life. Its for a thru.

I have a Petzl Tikka Plus but was shocked by a buddy who bought a black diamond light that lit up the whole forest...

Sierra Echo
11-02-2010, 21:23
Just to clarify;

I am looking for something bright enough to night hike, with a red setting for camp, AA or AAA batteries, long battery life. Its for a thru.

I have a Petzl Tikka Plus but was shocked by a buddy who bought a black diamond light that lit up the whole forest...

my black diamond can light up a cave and has all of your requirements!

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2010, 21:33
2. There are some very bright LED headlamps out there. Some people say they get much better definition if they wear their headlamp around their neck.

3. Agreed. I wouldn't want to bother with the hassle unless I had a bounce box to put spares in.

I have been thinking that if two were mounted 7 inches apart with a simmilar reflector that Maglight uses, One could 3D a night trail. Like the new car headlights.... Hey I won't even patent it... a freebee.

LIhikers
11-03-2010, 16:30
I have a Princeton Tec Quad, and like it.
It's bright, when set on high, and has lower settings; the AAA batteries last a long time and are easy to change; and the price was reasonable. I can easily night hike with it on high and then dim it a bit for use around camp.

Luddite
11-03-2010, 17:03

Aren't there Rite-Aids, CVS's, and other pharmacies in alot of the trail towns? They all carry watch batteries.

amac
11-03-2010, 18:03
PrincetonTec Scout. Inexpensive and this from the Campmor page:

The term 'ultra-light and compact' is re-defined with the Scout LED Headlamp. Offering waterproof integrity and weighing only 2 ounces, it's small enough to fit into your pocket and forget it's there. The unique multi-functional hinged lamp housing directs light where you need it, and is designed to detach quickly and easily from the head strap for use on your hat, backpack, belt, or other gear. Powered by 4 lithium coin cell batteries (included) the Scout offers burn times up to 30 times greater than incandescent AA or AAA cell headlamps. Engineered to last a lifetime, the illumination comes from 2 high output LED's that are impact resistant, shockproof, and never require replacement- ensuring you will always have light when you need it. Features an electronically controlled switch system which provides easy switching between 3 levels of light output and two emergency signal modes.

leaftye
11-03-2010, 20:27