PDA

View Full Version : Documentaries

strollingalong
11-03-2010, 00:46
I'm planning on filming a documentary of the AT during my 2012 thru.... does anyone have any tips, links? ... so far I'm planning a "exit through the gift shop" strategy of documentary film making.... anyone else interested in doing the same in 2012?

I've spent a long time searching for documentaries of the AT online and there's so many things i would class as great... any tips on good ones? I think I've found and seen all AT stuff on the net. I wish my location and pay would allow online dvd purchase... but it doesn't.

strollingalong
11-03-2010, 00:47
that should say there arent many things...

fiddlehead
11-03-2010, 07:44
I will recommend to you something that bothers me when i see most of the AT videos:
Don't Whine!
I am tired of seeing peoples hikes where they complain about the bugs, the mice, too much snow, too cold, dirty, etc.
Try to find the good parts about hiking and focus more on that.
Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy!

nitewalker
11-03-2010, 08:23
go watch the videos that tuts put together. he did a set on the AT and then did a set on the LT. both were relly good. im sure you can pick up some good tips from his style of doing things with the vid camera. there is a thread here on whiteblaze that will provide you the link to his videos. this is the link to his video page..

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tuts999

strollingalong
11-03-2010, 10:50
Yeah... I've been watching a lot of them this past couple of holiday days here in Mexico and maing tons of random thoughts notes.... many of them consist of don't bloody well whinge all the time.

My girlfriend sees one, no mention of name..... por que quieres caminar el AT con esos pinches mamones?

I've seen most of tuts stuff, but a while back, will be sure to check out his stuff again soon.

Luddite
11-03-2010, 11:51
Watch all the AT documentaries and then make your own film nothing like those.

If your budget allows it, you should bring the smallest, most compact HD camera you can find. Or get a camera thats shoots in 24p.

"exit through the gift shop"

I never got around to seeing that film, but I really wanted to. Thats the Banksy Documentary, right?

Lion King
11-03-2010, 12:11
be true to your hike

say what you want, and I dont give a rats ass who you are
you will have days when you whine, even its to yourself.

thats real, if its not there, then it aint.

Ive hiked a gazillion miles on a gazillion trails and every trip, someone or many someones whine about the cold, rain, lack of water, heat, bugs, etc...

dont make a film you think people will want, make a film you like

Jeff
11-03-2010, 12:33
Hey LionKing,

Your filmwork is some of the best ever done on long distance hiking. Love the soundtracks too....great for working out all winter long !!

Lion King
11-03-2010, 13:33
Hey LionKing,

Your filmwork is some of the best ever done on long distance hiking. Love the soundtracks too....great for working out all winter long !!

Thank you.

And you can always MUTE when I whine.:D

strollingalong
11-03-2010, 14:56
Lionking... your stuff was the first I ever saw about hiking and inspired me to set a 2011 date. now I'm gonna do 2012........ I should go back and look at it over again now I'm thinking of getting into video making.

Sure of course, of course there will be whinging.... White Whine is my favourite drink. But not like one docu I saw that was all whining apart from the 1st 2 minutes. I mainly want to not have a more or less continuous whine throughout by structuring the work well.

It's something I want to get away from as it's a bad habit of mine in day to day life and I annoy myself!

Those of you out there who have experience making vids, what camera do/did you use and how would you rate it?

strollingalong
11-03-2010, 15:05
I never got around to seeing that film, but I really wanted to. Thats the Banksy Documentary, right?

Yes it is.... I don't want to spoil the suprise but it's not what you'd exactly expect. It was an awesome suprise for me and the film makers method is the one IŽll be following!

Raul Perez
11-03-2010, 15:59
[QUOTE=Ingles;1065150]

My girlfriend sees one, no mention of name..... por que quieres caminar el AT con esos pinches mamones?
QUOTE]

I see your girlfriend is very supportive lol

Raul Perez
11-03-2010, 16:01
btw where can I view some of lion king's vids?

strollingalong
11-03-2010, 16:08
I see your girlfriend is very supportive lol

jaja... that was just a one time comment but then when she joins me for a month of it, you'll truly see some whining! :D

nitewalker
11-03-2010, 16:17
btw where can I view some of lion king's vids?

u can try this link..

<LI class="video-list-item ">http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/gpQefZcaaV4/default.jpg 5:43 http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif Add tohttp://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif Added to queue Episode Fifty-Two American Discovery Trailby DEVELOPEXEC1,083 views (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpQefZcaaV4&feature=related)

Raul Perez
11-03-2010, 16:30
sweet thanks nitewalker just subbed his videos will check out tonight

Ingles - good luck on your trip!

Tuts
11-04-2010, 14:24
Thanks to nightwalker for the plug. If I could offer some advice... try not to spend too much on tons of gadgets and equipment to help you make the film. On the AT I didn't have anything but the camera. The LT only had the addition of a gorillapod. Some people also get the mount for the bottom of their trekking poles. Lol I'm not great at this, but if you need anything let me know. I'm glad to help. Oh, and good luck!

strollingalong
11-04-2010, 18:02
Thanks to nightwalker for the plug. If I could offer some advice... try not to spend too much on tons of gadgets and equipment to help you make the film. On the AT I didn't have anything but the camera. The LT only had the addition of a gorillapod. Some people also get the mount for the bottom of their trekking poles. Lol I'm not great at this, but if you need anything let me know. I'm glad to help. Oh, and good luck!

Cheers Tuts. Enjoy your vids....halfway thru your LT one... Gorilla jobbie will be mighty useful i feel