PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Clothing at 30 degrees

TheYoungOne
11-03-2010, 16:42
Temps are starting to drop here in PA. My next dayhike may start off around freezing with a daytime high maybe in the 40's. I'm basically thinking of going out wearing a lightweight MTP baselayer, a Microfleece 1/4 zip top, and a pair of KuhlDry Pants (which are lightweight, and quick drying, but a little thicker than my regular nylon hiking pants). I will have lightweight gloves and a cap. I will probably also pack an underarmor T-shirt, neck gaiters, a Fleece vest, and maybe either another 200 weight fleece jacket or a softshell, as backup.

Is this too much or too little? Will I freeze or overheat?

ChinMusic
11-03-2010, 16:49
For 30 I don't wear nearly that much for a dayhike. But with a dayhike sweating isn't a big concern as you have a car waiting for you when you are done.

Pants: Just my regular REI Saharas.
Top: Merino wool T and a windshirt. If the terrain is easy (flat) I might add another layer but if it is fairly hard the windshirt is good enough for 30. I want to be cool.
Head: A simple Buff and ball cap
Hands: Nothing

Many Walks
11-03-2010, 17:04
For me that would be a lot of clothes for a 40 degree day hike. Most of that is what I would have worn when we lived in Iowa and had 30 degree below temps. I like to start out a little on the chilly side as I know I'll warm up right away. Then I generally put on my rain jacket to keep in the warmth when I stop. If you start out too warm you'll be stopping to take things off. If you don't have something to put on when you stop you'll get chilled pretty fast, especially if you've been sweating and there is a breeze. My recommendation is to take your stuff and see what works for you. Your list isn't that heavy for just a day hike to figure it out.

StubbleJumper
11-03-2010, 17:06
For dayhiking/snowshoeing, I tend to wear a 100 weight fleece for temperatures ranging from 20-35. On the bottom, just regular underarmor type of underwear (probably WalMart knockoffs!) and synthetic pants. From 10-15 degrees, I bust out the capilene long underwear as a base layer.

I find that I sweat too much if I dress any warmer than that. I always carry a 200 weight fleece in my day pack for when I stop and as a contingency measure.

Winter is a wonderful time to hike because the air is cool and clean, the views in the forest are much better, and there are no bugs. But hypothermia in the winter is probably the single largest risk that I take while hiking (that and driving my car to the trailhead!)

leaftye
11-03-2010, 17:13
That's way too much unless the wind is really blowing. No wind and the thinnest nylon pants and shirt would be okay.

bigcranky
11-03-2010, 19:40
A light long sleeve base layer top (I like wool), nylon hiking shorts, an ultralight wind shirt, microfleece beanie, and maybe some very light wind resistant gloves if it's windy. Wool crew socks and trail runners. If it's really windy I might put on light long john bottoms under the shorts. (Looks goofy but works well.)

hal0ofwint3r
11-07-2010, 14:51
nylon hiking shorts(i'll put the bottoms on if it's 30 and really windy), lightweight long sleeve techwick shirt and a lightweight fleece vest if it's windy.

hal0ofwint3r
11-07-2010, 14:56
this should be good if you're on the move. when you're sitting to eat, bring a down vest or jacket. shouldn't need baselayer pants as you're going to be moving again after you eat, too much to dangle with and take them off when you start moving again. not saying you can't take them, if you want to take them go ahead, wouldn't hurt. sometimes when i'm just doing a short hike i'll take extra stuff because i'm not going far so i'll bring some extra stuff.

hal0ofwint3r
11-07-2010, 14:58
sorry, the down is if it's really windy too, today(november 7th, literally) you wouldn't need it, it's nice out!

QiWiz
11-07-2010, 16:47
Have a layer to put on when you stop, but a thin merino LS top, windshirt, and whatever nylon pants you like would be what I would wear. Stocking cap can be worn or removed as need for further temperature regulation.