PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Dining Experiences on the Trail

tanichols
12-11-2004, 03:36
All,

I always like to hear peoples dining stories.

So here's 2 questions for those who feel inclined to participate.

1) What was your best dining experience on the trail? Elaborate
2) What was your worst dining experience on the trail? Elaborate.

Just because someone has a bad experience at a restaurant doesn't necessarily mean that the place is "bad." The experience could have been due to other people in the restaurant, or it could be food/service related. We all know that some restaurants have a bad day, so no harm to any that get named. I've been to several of my favorite restaurants and had a bad experience.

I look forward to reading what you guys post.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2004, 10:43
Best? Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba, Virginia. No explanation needed.
Worst? The Chinese restaurant in Hiawassee, Georgia. 2 fat, white guys were cooking in the back. I've had better from a can.

Jaybird
12-11-2004, 10:52
i'm a NOBO section hiker...so, my dining experiences are limited to the trail down south...@ this time....but in my 3 years of section hiking (Springer to Damascus...so far) my best expereince has been ....after we ("TeePee" & i)were picked up by our wives @ Standing Indian & driven to our lunch "surprise" locale....

the Dillard House (Dillard,GA)..an all-u-can-eat....(& we did) place ....man, i think they told us never to come back on the way out....

not had any really BAD experiences....(i guess thats because....all food tastes better on the trail) but, sure i will eventually....i've had some bad freeze-dried food...does that count? :D

Tha Wookie
12-11-2004, 12:20
Ok, sorry this is not from the AT, but rather the WCT.

At a famous California-stlye BBQ place in the middle of nowhere near the coast, Island Mama and I stopped in with our backpacks for a dinner. I was expecting a southern-style BBQ place, but instead of chopped pork sandwiches for 2 bucks it was bbq steak for $45. Vegetables were separate, at 7 bucks a pop.

We had been walking over a grand, so were of course starving out of our gourds, so were going to get some veggies anyway because it was the only restaurant in fifty miles. Even, though, I peered through the window at the cattle in the surrounding fields and wondered how a freakin steak here could cost $45. But it was ok.

That was until the waitress came up and said, "hey there. If you guys could do us a favor and leave the table as soon as you're done eating, that would be great -we need the table for other customers."

Huh?

They got their table back real quick, and in a matter of seconds we were walking down the dusty road with grumbling stomachs.

One Leg
12-11-2004, 12:24
the Dillard House (Dillard,GA)..an all-u-can-eat.... :D

I'll echo that.....Dillard House rocks--almost as good as the Homeplace.

Glee
12-11-2004, 13:17
The Worst:
Chinese restaurant in Gorham. The waiter was a major jerk and threw the check onto the table. When I went to pay the bill I was going to say something after I got my change.. However, the guy threw the money and it went all over. I just had to laugh at how stupid this guy was acting. We had the all u can eat buffet, so it was not like we had to ask him for anything except for maybe one refill on our drinks.

The Best:
Chinese restaurant in Waynesboro...
Great food, and service at the all u can eat buffet....

rocket04
12-11-2004, 13:33
Best:
The one pound burger at White House Landing. I'd just dreamed of it for so long it made it the best.

Worst:
The half-gallon challenge (not quite dining, but it's food). I don't think my system handled the lactose too well, and I did throw a burger on top of it after... That night, I felt like crap and the next day I felt too sick to hike. A zero day at a shelter feeling miserable was the result of that "meal".

Moose2001
12-11-2004, 15:52
Wow...my mouth started to water just thinking of some of the places to eat along the trail. I can't say I had a "bad" dining experience anywhere on the trail. Just about anything in town is better than what you're eating on the trail. Here's a list of places I recall. I'm sure I left many out. Ohhh...my stomach is rumbling just thinking of these!

Cookie Jar - Blairsville, GA
Smoky Mt. Diner - Hot Springs
Erwin Burrito - Erwin, TN
Homeplace - Catawba, VA
Chinese AYCE - Waynesboro, VA
Pizza at the Doyle!! Beer and pizza...perfect hiker food!
Blue Mountain B&B - PA309
Mountainside Cafe - on US7 in CT (killer omlets and pancakes)
Duff and Dells Variety, Dalton MA
Whistlestop Resturant - VT103 Clarendon, VT
Bar food at the Inn at Long Trail. Biggest nachos I've ever seen
Harrisons Pierce Pond Camps, Pierce Pond, ME
Burgers at Whitehouse Landing.

Footslogger
12-11-2004, 16:27
Best had to be the Family Restaurand in Catawba, VA. Hiked over Dragon's Tooth and got in just in time to FEAST !!

Worst ??? ...that's a toughie. It would probably be something I threw together on the trail from left overs in my food bag the night before I went into town for re-supply.

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Solemates
12-12-2004, 17:11
As most have agreed, hands-down The Homeplace is my favorite on the trail. I had eaten there before we thru-hiked so I new how good it was, and when we passed by the Catawba valley on a tuesday (its only open Thurs-Sun), we were mad. So when we reached Peaks of Otter or so we got a hitch back down to the restaraunt, by this time it was Sat I think, and gorged ourselves.

The worst would have to be something we made ourselves while on the trail. But the worst food establishment experience would probably be a place off US19E in the Roan Highlands area. The people were downright rude, the food wasnt that great, and it was pouring raining and we had nowhere to go but back out in it. I dont even know the name of the place.

Haiku
12-12-2004, 22:28
Best: AYCE Pizza Hut buffet in Marion, VA (near Partnership Shelter). The first of two AYCE Pizza Hut buffets I hit, the next was in Pearisburg. Cinnamon sticks, dessert pizza, what can I say?

Worst: I read a register in Virginia near Glasgow about making breakfast of Ramen and hot chocolate (obviously not adding the flavour packet). I forget who wrote it (good thing, too, or I'd be tracking them down now), but they said "I know it sounds bad, but don't knock it until you've tried it." I tried it, and it's the only meal I ever had to throw out. I felt like I was going to hurl. ...Okay, I thought I was going to hurl after both of the Pizza Hut buffets too, but that was an entirely different problem.

Haiku.

jackiebolen
12-12-2004, 22:40
Haiku...I'll have to add a strong second to the Pizza Hut buffet in Marion. I still remember fondly the stack of plates on the table!

Mountain Dew
12-13-2004, 02:39
Miss Janets biscuits and gravy are the BOMB !

TankHiker
12-13-2004, 11:23
Best:
1. Homeplace, Catawba (damn good food, fun "family-style" atmosphere)
2. The Bakery, Delaware Water Gap (awesome pastries and veggies)
3. Breakfast Restaurant, New York (I don't know the name of this place. It was near that water-spigot shower on the power plant. Breakfast was incredible)

Worst:
1. AYCE Chinese restaurant near Kincora (even my hiker appetite couldn't make this food appetizing)
2. Pizza Hut, Daleville (made me sick for 4 days)
3. King's Pizza, Harper's Ferry (again, made me puke)

bearbait2k4
12-13-2004, 16:04
Best dining experience, although it was takeout, was at the chinese restaurant in Palmerton. The people asked if we were hikers, and when we replied yes, they yelled back to the kitchen, "they're hikers!," and we then saw them dump A LOT of extra food into the fryers.

Worst dining experience, this year, was the River's End Restaurant at the NOC. We night-hiked into the shelter a couple of miles out of town, and I was dreaming of nachos that night. In the morning, we ran down to the NOC, only to get there maybe 15-20 minutes too early for lunch. We sat outside on the patio (we'd just come out of the woods), and ordered coffee and drinks, and told the waiter we would order at 11, when lunch started up. Half an hour went by, and we never saw the waiter even give us a second glance in our direction. We had to refill our sodas and coffees, and then were reprimanded by the staff for doing so, even after the explanation that our waiter wasn't offering the refills for us. After about 11:15, we still had not seen our waiter, and were growing hungry. So, at almost 11:30, I went to talk to the hostess, who then had the manager come out to tell us, quite curtly, that they had JUST started taking orders for lunch, without an apology, and that our waiter had told her he had been by the table several times. Coincidentally enough, as she was explaining to us that they had JUST started taking lunch orders, there were 2 tables in the background being served burgers. The waiter finally came out about 5 minutes later, with lunch menues, and I saw that they no longer served the nachos because of a menu change. So, we were basically treated like dirt, lied to, and then my favorite menu item had been removed from the menu. Apparently, the restaurant changed hands over the past year, and it's such a dissapointment, because we had such great service the previous year.

It's too bad things like this happen.

rickb
12-13-2004, 16:38
Best (in no particular order):

1. Fried Chicken, milk, pie and all the otherstuff at Shaws July 1983. Never had a better meal since.

2. Turkey, stuffing, yams, rolls, cranberry sauce with my wife one Thanksgiving at Ethan Pond Shelter in 1998 (+/- ?)

3. Meal at the Pondorosa Steak House as guest of the Shipes (Bonnie was the legendary Ice Cream Lady, her wonderfull husband Steve and children) in the fall of 1983 somewhere in the middle of the Cumberland Valley Road Walk..

Worse:

1. Can number 140 (+/-) of sardines eaten as part of solitary trail lunch number 130

2. Can number 139 (+/-) of sardines eaten ast part of solitary trail lunch number 129

3-130 See above :-)

Tim Rich
12-13-2004, 16:59
I came into the Whistlestop in Clarendon hungry, hungry, hungry. That may have affected my recollections, but it was unbelievably good. To top it off, I took a sandwich to the next shelter for supper.

saimyoji
12-13-2004, 17:59
...I stumbled back off the ridgeline down into the nearest town (2200 ft off the ridge down to the fishing village) and into the first restaraunt I found. The raw sea urchin bowl was to die for. A little shredded seaweed and soysauce made my summer. I caught a ride along with some divers and was treated to some fresh-off-the-bottom-urchins. How about a Scott Peterson burger?

Cehoffpauir
12-21-2004, 03:32
Miss Janets biscuits and gravy are the BOMB !

Shaw's 5-up French toast is pretty fookin awesome too.

Best meal--breakfast at Shaw's. Home-cooking, AYCE.
Worst--oatmeal. I got so--sick of it I still can't eat it.

Food at Port Clinton Hotel bar is really good and sizeable. (You don't need to shower for bar dining.)
Food at The Doyle is really good. The owners were very hiker-friendly.
Erwin Burrito.
Ramunto's Pizza (Hanover).

Just a few. Come to think, I rarely had a meal I didn't like out there.

oyvay
12-28-2004, 16:38
Worst--oatmeal. I got so--sick of it I still can't eat it.

I second the oatmeal, I would have scattered it in the 100-mile, but then I wouldn't have had food and it would have been littering.

neo
12-28-2004, 16:52
i have always liked the rivers end at noc,dont recall any bad dining experience in trail towns:sun neo

grrickar
12-28-2004, 17:17
Best was a bacon cheesebruger at the Peppercorn Restaurant in the Fontana Village. Worst? I guess that was a alfredo noodle dish I made that I added too much water to. The stove was misbehaving, so I ended up eating cold crunchy noodles and bland white sauce as thin as milk. Still wasn't bad...:o I guess when you are hungry, most anything will do.

neo
12-29-2004, 15:07
my woarst dining experience was on the north south trail at land between the lakes march 2001,i was out of food nothing to eat last 7 miles,hungry like a wolf:sun neo

SGT Rock
12-29-2004, 18:06
One of the worst would have to be MREs, bad idea. The best (no this isn't sucking up) was the breakfast I had at Miss Janet's place. Well, that and dinner at Kincora - nothing beats home cooking. I know Jack did the dinner at Kincora.

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2004, 19:39
Rock:

Thanks for the kind words. I recently checked many years of journals and made the extraordinary discovery that something like 1,000 thru-hikers, at one time or another, have eaten some Baltimore Jack lasagna, mostly at Kincora, Miss Janet's, or at one of the Dartmouth dorms (The lasagna-fests at the old Tabard dorm at Dartmouth went on for seven years in a row!)

That's a LOT of pasta.

Good news is that to date, I have received no reports of fatalities.

As for me, my best Trail meals were:

*Breakfast at either Miss Janet's or Keith Shaw's in Monson
*Lunch at the great Chinese Buffet in Waynesboro next to the Kroger's
*Dinner at the Homeplace in Catawba

Best meal while actually on the Trail would either be at one of the many Brown Fork Gap Rat Patrol fests, where folks like Rat, Wolf, Ox, and their friends cooked up some amazing ribeyes with all the extras; or at any of the Billville feeds put on by Jester, Bag 'O Trix and their friends.

Most memorable Trail meal might have been the time Trix showed up at the Eckville shelter with two cases of beer and thirty-seven Whoppers (!!!); most singularly unusual meal might've been the blackened cajun chipmunk that I was served one year at Piazza Gap shelter in Maine (and yeah, it tasted like chicken if you're interested); this was also the place I hiked into one year with two live lobsters, which made for a hell of an entrance and a pretty special dinner, tho in retrospect, I don't advise trying to cook lobster in a one-quart pot; it is awkward for the chef and not particularly pleasant for the lobster.

Worst Trail meal I had was probably the entire barbequed chicken and two liters of Hawaiian Punch I consumed just before discovering the dead guy at the Doyle back in '99. I'll spare you the details but I've avoided Hawaiian Punch ever since.

Pooja Blue
12-29-2004, 20:07
Hanover, NH: AYCE Indian buffet at the Jewel of India. Marvelous!

yogi clyde
01-06-2005, 13:41
Best: Breakfast at Miss Janet's - stayed an extra day :clap

Worst: Dahlonaga GA - some bar that served Italian food - my first lesson on the the trail, do not eat Italian food in the South.

Grimace
01-07-2005, 13:49
Best: Spring House in Dahlonega (sp) after our SOBO hike.

Worst: Slippery Pot Pie is some crappy Diner in Blue Mtn PA near PenMar.

Mother Nature
01-07-2005, 14:56
Absolutely best..The Homeplace in Catawba. The worst would be arriving early in the week and missing this place! The atmosphere and food are like arriving at Grandma's house at Christmas.

I'll second the Erwin Burrito with their two-fisted homemade burritos!

Mother Nature

minnesotasmith
01-08-2005, 05:48
"Worst: Dahlonaga GA - some bar that served Italian food - my first lesson on the the trail, do not eat Italian food in the South."

You just have to know where to go. There's a pretty fair Italian place in Cumming on the main highway there, and numerous ones in Atlanta proper.

MOWGLI
01-08-2005, 07:26
[i]
You just have to know where to go. There's a pretty fair Italian place in Cumming on the main highway there, and numerous ones in Atlanta proper.

Pretty fair doesn't cut it when you're from New York. Especially if you've spent any time in Little Italy.

I will say I had some surprisingly good Italian food in Birmingham, AL this summer. The place looked pretty shabby from the exterior, but inside, it was all good.

I believe this was the joint;

Formaggio's Italian Bistro
1713 10th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35205

minnesotasmith
01-08-2005, 07:38
In Jasper, Alabama, about 30 miles WNW of B'ham, there was as of about 10 years ago a nondescript chain-looking place called Momma Mia's (trite name, yes). Oh, the pizza there...

Oh, and as far as being from NY, if you're from NYC, you may have access to culture and food, but the standards of what you have to put up with in almost everything else... yecch.

MOWGLI
01-08-2005, 07:50
Oh, and as far as being from NY, if you're from NYC, you may have access to culture and food, but the standards of what you have to put up with in almost everything else... yecch.

MS, do you have any idea what you are typing about? Or is this just one more thing that that you read on the internet or that you learned fourth hand? (please spare me the details - those were rhetorical questions)

New Yorker's don't actually "put up" with a whole lot. Most of 'em certainly wouldn't "put up" with your sorry act. That is for certain.

Personally, I think I'd rather spend a night in a NYC crack house than in a shelter having to listen to your nonsense.

MOWGLI
01-08-2005, 08:08
Stand by for more social commentary from our resident social moron.

Back to food, I wish I'd known about the Indian Food joint in Hanover when I passed by there in December '03. The pizza I ate there was marginal at best.

What's the name of the joint on the corner in Andover, ME - near the Andover Guerst House? I believe the building was red. They had some really good breakfasts there as I recall.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2005, 08:43
"Addie's Place"

ffstenger
01-08-2005, 08:44
The best; Mountain Blackberry sunday at the Big Meadows wayside, SNP
I'm lookin' forward to some of the places mentioned above on my next
hike ! Should I plan my next section based on going to a good place to
eat??? Oh yea, say on more.......mmmmm Showme

MOWGLI
01-08-2005, 08:52
"Addie's Place"

Yup, that place was pretty good. In fact, I ate there, went back to Pegleg's place, tossed my cookies (I had a stomach bug), and went back and ate at Addies again the next morning! That could only happen on the trail!!

superman
01-08-2005, 11:09
Homeplace was the best. There were a bunch of us and they let us camp on the side lawn. When they cleaned up at night they brought out all the leftovers. I hiked out the next morning with a big bag of chicken. We stop in there ever time we go to Trail Days or Florida.

That diner in Andover, ME was the worst. They turned the burner on to cook my frozen burger and turned the burner off when it was half cooked. The burger was the nastiest I've ever eaten….it had that old, cold grease thing going. The next morning I went across the street to the general store and got a foot long sub sandwich for the trail. When I opened it I couldn't believe how small the one piece of meat was.

The worst trail meals are most any meal that I make. When I hike with Pat from Maine (GA>ME 2000) she cooks and I fiddle with the tent.

papa john
01-08-2005, 11:13
Best breakfast EVER was at the BB Patch!

PJ

Seraphim
01-08-2005, 17:35
[QUOTE=rocket04]Best:
The one pound burger at White House Landing. I'd just dreamed of it for so long it made it the best.

Yep, that was a DAMN good burger. I even broke my promise of not going to WHL because I wanted that burger so bad. Hiked that ".5" in practically running because lunch is over at 1. So I get there at 12:57, a few of my group were sitting eating their cookies they had just purchased, talking about the food they just ate, and how I can't get any because it's too late! So I blow the horn and they leave, dude came and dropped me on their front porch, where I proceeded to sit for THREE hours until "dinner". It was cold, other hikers came, and eventually, there were seven others there! Gordy started up her stove on the bench, she was starving- we ALL were! They finally let us in, on time of course, we all ordered fast, it came slow. But I savoured every bite, washed it down with an ice cold Bud, and got kicked the **** out shortly after! We weren't paying customers, therefore, we were treated like hiker TRASH. It was the best burger, for all the trouble, for the fact that I was dreaming about it (and I still am)- but it was almost $10 with everything, and the owners probably spit on it! So should I consider that the best or the worst- or both?!

The chinese restaurant in Buena Vista. I don't remember what it was called, but it was fine cuisine. A bit pricey for hikers, but if you're a foodie, you'll love it. The Diner in DWG has great Greek food (moousaka is superb), and the place next to it has the best pies and donuts EVER!

And The Homeplace goes without saying... that was one of the worst days I had on the trail-- my mind wasn't in the right place and I was miserable, Dragon's Tooth didn't even cheer me up... But when I got into town and into those mash'taters, nothin but grins full of slop were coming from me, as I reached for another hunk of meat and more gravy. :D I remember that night fondly, because eating food like Mama's, drinking sweet tea like Mammy's, and AYCE family-style with some of my favourite hikers was like heaven after a day in hell.

Waynesboro: when you go to Pizza Hut, tell them I said hello! Maybe they'll hook you up! The Chinese place there was good too, and so was the Italian restaurant next to it. And if you feel like hitching, there's a AYCE Shoney's on the other side of town. Country Cookin in Daleville was also great AYCE.
Salisbury- home of Bev's, best ice cream shop on the trail. If you're lucky, the cute boy will give you free ice cream. :) Rutland, the Twelve Tribes place has healthy, scrumptiously fresh food and nice atmosphere... Addie's Place... The Red Onion in Rangeley is good, and so are the people.

The White Wolf in Stratton: Wolfburger and a Shipyard. Get it. And then get another one.

Bad? Sportsbar in Pearisburg. Falls Village, CT only has a hotel with high priced sandwiches and fancy crap and Cokes for $2 with NO refills! VT: Manchester Center's Pizza House's "best Pizza" isn't special- go to Little Rooster Cafe- good bkfst, drinks and prices! And in Bennington, the Apple Barn is worth the trip for some pie and fun.

But my all-time favourite is Tom's house in Dalton MA. A few nights on his porch and I ate like a queen. Ice cream sundaes and pasta, fresh veggies and soft bread with BUTTER... Trail magic is better than any restaurant. OH, how I love the trail.:sun

A-Train
01-09-2005, 23:46
Guess I'll add to the list

Best:

Homeplace was everything I imagined it to be and more.

The AYCE buffet in Hiawasee was pretty good but it was one of those breakthrough thru-hiker moments when I knew I was part of the tribe.

Kings Pizza in Harpers Ferry was pretty good for italian fare by trail standards.

The Doyle burger is incredible though i'm a bit biased since I ate there a couple nights a go. Wow what a good burger!

Ramunto's brick oven pizza in Hanover was pretty tasty as well

Elmers- never had a meal so good without meat. Great soup, salad, bread, desert and conversation.

And for the losers:

Fontana Village. They advertised AYCE and realized that after 12-15 thru-hikers paid for dinner they couldn't accomadate them all (aka they didn't have nearly enough food). I ordered off the menu and it pretty poor.

Addies in Andover ME- man I hope breakfast is better than dinner. Both me and my buddy had pretty terrible dinners here. Nice place but the food was questionable.

Yahtzee
07-14-2005, 15:39
Best---Home Place
Worst---Daniel's (i believe) in Hiawassee. Horrible spaghetti buffet. Ugh.

The Solemates
07-14-2005, 16:37
Best---Home Place
Worst---Daniel's (i believe) in Hiawassee. Horrible spaghetti buffet. Ugh.

i think daniels burnt down.

TakeABreak
07-14-2005, 17:01
The worst food I had was at the frontana Inn, in febraury 2000. It was awful, but I contributed it to being early season and not many guests at the hotel. If there is an excuse for food tasting as horrible as what it did.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2005, 17:10
Daniel's burnt down last fall/winter but was rebuilt and opened this past April.

sliderule
07-14-2005, 18:08
Without a doubt the worst service that I have ever experienced was at the Italian restaurant on the main street in Damascus. The food was relatively good, once I finally got it.

SGT Rock
07-14-2005, 19:30
I didn't have a problem there. Was it during Trail Days?

Hikerhead
07-14-2005, 19:51
Without a doubt the worst service that I have ever experienced was at the Italian restaurant on the main street in Damascus. The food was relatively good, once I finally got it.

I agree. A couple of year ago I sat at a table with 5 of us and all of us got our meals about 30 minutes apart. We ordered at the same time.

A couple of weeks ago I ate there and had Iced Tea. The waitress filled my glass a couple of times and at the cash register they tried to bill me for each glass that I got. I don't know how they bill for Iced Tea in Italy but in the Southern United States, refills of tea are free.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2005, 20:21
The owners are Egyptian.

Whistler
07-14-2005, 20:43
Without a doubt the worst service that I have ever experienced was at the Italian restaurant on the main street in Damascus. The food was relatively good, once I finally got it.I didn't have any problems there back in June, neither with service or with extra tea charges.And the veggie calzone was amazing.
-Mark

Sly
07-14-2005, 21:55
There should be a law, only Italians can have an Italian restaurant!!!

Skyline
07-14-2005, 23:03
It's a tie.

The Chinese AYCE in Franklin NC (is it still there?) and the Homeplace in Catawba (been there several times now).

With one exception (food poisoning in Maine) I never had a bad dining experience on the AT or nearby towns.

sliderule
07-14-2005, 23:29
I don't know how they bill for Iced Tea in Italy but in the Southern United States, refills of tea are free.Well, I can tell you. They don't know what iced tea is in Italy. Most folks in Italy drink wine. If you want water, it comes in a bottle and you get charged for it. If you want Coke, you get a little tiny glass, it is warm (no ice) and costs more than wine.
If I never go back to Italy again, it will be too soon.

fiddlehead
07-14-2005, 23:38
best: there's a restaurant in the town of Waterton Lake, BC (the northern terminus of the CDT) that serves 7 course meals which include caribou and other exotic dishes. I don't know if it was the occasion, or the location, but it was the best meal i remember having on a trail when hiking. (although i had finished hiking about 3 hours before)
On the AT though, i would have to say it was Shaw's breakfast with the 6,6 and 6!

worst: Rainman's cooking on the PCT when he was trying to relieve Blister Sister of cooking as she had about 40 blisters, many bleeding. He cooked corn pasta, didn't stir it, and didn't put in enough water. (very few seasonings too) Blister took one look at it and said, "i'm not eating that". Rainman said: we'll give it to fiddlehead, he'll eat anything! (i tried but couldn't finish it)

Heater
07-14-2005, 23:40
Well, I can tell you. They don't know what iced tea is in Italy. Most folks in Italy drink wine. If you want water, it comes in a bottle and you get charged for it. If you want Coke, you get a little tiny glass, it is warm (no ice) and costs more than wine.
My parents are from New England. (Vernon/Rockville, Connecticut)

My Dad and Aunt went to Italy on their Europe vacation. They both said the Italian food in Italy was the worst Italian food they ever had! They said it was very bland. I guess it is nothing like the good Italian food In New England.:)

saimyoji
07-15-2005, 00:07
Hmm...funny. I have friends and relatives that say the same thing about Japanese food. They actually prefer the 'Japanese' food at the local joint run by Chinese people, or the 'supermarket sushi' found at Giant or Superfresh to the authentic version. No surprise here. Most people are accustomed to certain tastes, and the local businesses know this and cater to these tastes in order to sell and make a profit. (Just try to get a 'California Roll' in a sushi shop in Japan!!) To eat real ethnic food you must go to the place and eat the real deal and decide if you like the original version, or the Americanized version.

No judgement drawn here, to each his own. Food is a very important part of life. Myself, there are some dishes I prefer to be authentic, and others I prefer to be Americanized.

Heater
07-15-2005, 00:46
Hmm...funny. I have friends and relatives that say the same thing about Japanese food. They actually prefer the 'Japanese' food at the local joint run by Chinese people, or the 'supermarket sushi' found at Giant or Superfresh to the authentic version. No surprise here. Most people are accustomed to certain tastes, and the local businesses know this and cater to these tastes in order to sell and make a profit. (Just try to get a 'California Roll' in a sushi shop in Japan!!) To eat real ethnic food you must go to the place and eat the real deal and decide if you like the original version, or the Americanized version.

No judgement drawn here, to each his own. Food is a very important part of life. Myself, there are some dishes I prefer to be authentic, and others I prefer to be Americanized.
I much prefer the americanized mexican food (TexMex) to what is referred to as "interior mexican food" in these parts. Of course, the americanized TexMex is different than the americanized New Mexico style Mexican food. I think that the the widespread version is more along the "TexMex" line like the americanized version of Italian food is more like what you'd get in New York or New England.

I also prefer Texas style barbecue as opposed to the other variations that are very different from state to state.

Mags
07-15-2005, 10:58
My parents are from New England. (Vernon/Rockville, Connecticut)

My Dad and Aunt went to Italy on their Europe vacation. They both said the Italian food in Italy was the worst Italian food they ever had! They said it was very bland. I guess it is nothing like the good Italian food In New England.:)

I guess it depends where you go to in Italy. When people in America think "Italian food" they think the Italian-American cuisine which is maniy southern Italian based. Of course, most of the food you get in so-called Italian restaraunts (outside of a few pockets like Boston, Providence, NY and where ever there is a large Italo-American community) is not even that great IMHO. To get the really good Italian food, go to a little whole in the wall place. I went a restaurant in a basement of a church social club on my visit back to RI in January. It was 4 blocks from where my grandfather grew up. The cook? The owner's wife. My good..was the food good.

Anyway, northern Italy - where most tourists go - has two stike against it food wise:
1) Any tourist area (Florence, Venice, et al) is going to be like any tourist area everywhere in the world: expensive prices, not the best quality
2) Northern Italy has much different cuisine than southern Italy...and is probably not what most Americans think of as "Italian" food. Not that is isn't good.. but it is different. Again, in a tourist area, it probably is not good as well.

"Italian" is a recent concept anyway. Even today, people will call themselves "Siciilian", "Abruzzese", etc. etc. Different regions, different cultures even very different dialects that are almost a different language.

Supposed to be going to Italy in the fall. (If I can get a decent priced ticker..that's another story). Will be going to the Abruzzo region..well off the beaten path and supposed to have excellent food.

WE'll see....

(and if you have't guess it Mags is short for Magnanti...which ain' t a German name. :D)

Lone Wolf
07-15-2005, 11:09
Hey Mags, ever eat at The Old Canteen on Federal Hill? Good ******* chow there.

Roland
07-15-2005, 11:14
Hey Mags, ever eat at The Old Canteen on Federal Hill? Good ******* chow there.
I had a few good meals at Mama Rosa's, in Wakefield, back in the day.

Lone Wolf
07-15-2005, 11:39
How about Terminisi's in Narraagansett?

Roland
07-15-2005, 11:46
How about Terminisi's in Narraagansett? I don't remember Terminisi's. Narragansett and Scarborough were hotspots. I have vague recollections of the BonZoo in Point Jude.

Smile
07-15-2005, 11:56
Worst: Harper's Ferry "something" Eagle in an old railroad car. Microwaved eggs, and the worst everything else you can possibly imagine.. not real hiker friendly.

Best: Old South Mountain Inn ( Turner's Gap, just after Dahlgren LOUD campground) incredible food, great service.

NOTE: South Mountain, PA - there is a nice hiker friendly, short term supply deli across from the P.O. which is not listed in the 2004 - not to be mistaken as the tavern listed in the THHandbook that is reportedly not hiker friendly - different place.

One thing we did do when we went to places that served us that gave us that "hu-oh it's another hiker" look- was let them know that if they take care of us, we'll take care of them, and will tip appropriately. After several discussions with servers at different places, the gripe seems to be that tips are lacking from hikers - this may not always be the case, but seems to be the stereotype out there.

Mags
07-15-2005, 12:29
I don't remember Terminisi's. Narragansett and Scarborough were hotspots. I have vague recollections of the BonZoo in Point Jude.

One of the few things LW and I like about our home state is the food. :)

Ah..yes, Scarborough aka Cranston by the Sea. Where it was mandatory to wear gold jewlery and drive an Iroc... If you yelled "Yo! Tony!", sure you would get a few people coming up to you. :)

Had a buddy who was a life guard at Scarborough. Lived at nearby Bonnet SHores for two summers in a small cottage his folks owned. Cripe..that was 10 yrs ago exactly as it was the summer I turned 21. Good times...

Time flies...

SnakebiteSurvivor
07-15-2005, 13:07
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Shaw's in Monson as "best place". I still remember the great home-cooked dinners and the famous breakfasts there (of course, I'd just finished the 100-miles wilderness, SOBO, so my hunger may have contributed to my enjoyment!). This was a couple years ago, while old Keith Shaw was still alive. I hope they're continuing the tradition since his much-regretted passing.

chknfngrs
07-15-2005, 23:20
Best: cous cous and veggie wrap on McAfee Knob
Worst: graham cracker and garlic salt wrap in Ramsey's Draft Wildernes VA

Cookerhiker
07-16-2005, 08:47
Haven't had alot of experience because most of my section hikes have been short until the last 2 years. Have to put in a word for the Port Clinton Hotel with its burgers and huge portions of "small" fries, to say nothing of the Yuengling!

LIhikers
07-18-2005, 07:22
My worst dining experience when out hiking is when I try to cook! I can boil water, but beyond that I'd be better off chewing on bark.

prozac
07-18-2005, 11:59
Have to agree with Smile on the South Mountain Inn. It isn't often you find a 3 to 4 star restaurant right on the trail. The fact that it is only 100 yds. from Dahlgren camping site with one of the only free hot showers on the trail makes it twice as nice. Felt nice to clean up and sit down to a gourmet meal and play civilized for one night. Although I don't imbibe, my hiking partner at the time Portugee raved over the Martinis and said they were worth walking from Ga. for. I think the reason it hasn't been mentioned more often is the price probably scares off most thruhikers but its worth every penny.

Jester2000
07-27-2005, 22:32

Hmmm. I imagine the Italians feel the same way about you going back to Italy.

Anyway. Best meal? Breakfast at Shaw's in 2000. Someone wrote in the first register after Monson what I think is the best description of breakfast at Shaw's: "Keith Shaw will feed you to a standstill."

Also, though not technically a "meal," I really loved the cold Coke given to me by someone after I woke up from passing out after coming off of Katahdin in 2003. That was the best.

Worst dining experience? Day 47. More oatmeal.
Never had a bad meal in town. Maybe my expectations are lower.

Lilred
07-28-2005, 01:13
So far, Elmer's gourmet vegetarian dinners in Hot Springs rates as the best I've had. Course, I got a long way to go.

Red Hat
07-28-2005, 12:57
Best trail breakfasts: several hostels including Hiker Hostel (Dahlonega, GA), Blueberry Hostel (Hiawassee, GA), Miss Janet's (Erwin, TN), and Bears Den (WVA)-usually just serves dinner, but I got lucky!

Best restaurant breakfast: Blueberry pancakes at any of the waysides in Shenandoah National Park

Best dinners: lasagna dinner in Damascus for hikers by trail angels in their home
AYCE chinese in Franklin NC, seafood buffet at The Inn in Damascus

Of course, some dinners were special just because of the commaraderie like the AYCE in Hiawassee, The Pub in Hot Springs, Fontana Inn (usually crummy food, but good times), some Barbeque place in Erwin and any other place where 10 or more thruhikers would meet up and take over large tables. Did we have fun or what?! Red Hat

foodbag
07-29-2005, 03:53
Best meal = A Baltimore Jack feast at Kincorra (1999). Best 5 pounds of green salad I ever ate.

Worst meal = My own cooking, day after day after day after day...................

Stale Cracker
07-29-2005, 09:07
Thanksgiving dinner, 2004 at Miss Janet's in Erwin TN. I had planned to do a 40 mile section south of Erwin that weekend but my arthritis flared up and I called it off. Spent a night and a day at Miss Janets where a group had congregated. Her back porch dining room was elbow room only and the spread went from Turkey and Ham to an unimaginable array of desserts and back again for seconds. As a lot of you know the atmosphere and bon amis at Janet's cannot really be described but in my limited experience her place more than any other typifies the "trail" experience at least from the social perspective.

snowman2005
12-14-2005, 16:59
Went into Shoneys for their Breakfast Buffet at 9am with a couple other hikers and walked out at 5pm for $7

Had breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon barbecue and lots of dessert :clap plus a good discussion on the morals of doing this.

Bankrobber
12-14-2005, 18:33
Wow,
The Homeplace was the highlight. I lived 120 miles from there for a few years, and would occasionally make the trip just for the food.
Close seconds included the breakfast made by the late great Keith Shaw, the dinner made by his wife, the Smokey Mountain Diner in Hot Springs, and the dinner at Elmer's Hot Springs.
There were some bla meals, most of them occurring when I went for Chinese food.

Moxie00
12-15-2005, 11:40
Homeplace, #1,,, Shaw's What a breakfast, dinner is outstanding. The bakery at Delaware Water Gap is outstanding. At Deleware Water Gap I went across the street from the church and had a pizza, then I went to the bakery and ordered an apple pie for desert. While they were getting the pie I had two hot dogs. I was sharing the pie with "Crash 60" at an outside table when we noticed the diner next door had a prime rib dinner for $10.95 so we all went in and had it. I don't remember what I had for breakfast the next day. My worst experience was at Shenondoah National Park when "Pat From Maine" an I busted our butts getting to Skyland for dinner and found it had closed a half hour before we got there. To make matters worse the outside coke machine was busted.

max patch
12-15-2005, 11:54
Went into Shoneys for their Breakfast Buffet at 9am with a couple other hikers and walked out at 5pm for $7

Had breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon barbecue and lots of dessert :clap plus a good discussion on the morals of doing this.

I had breakfast at a different Shoneys with my wife who was amazed at how much food I put away.

What was the conclusion you reached re your discussion of morals?

Was your group ever approached by management re your long stay?

3 meals for the price of 1! Was Warren part of your group?

(Just kidding about the last question.)

the goat
12-15-2005, 14:35
Best: the spring creek cookhouse in monson. the smoked ribs & bar-b-que are money!

worst: gotta go w/ the chinese place in hiawassee.

Gray Blazer
12-15-2005, 15:04
But the worst food establishment experience would probably be a place off US19E in the Roan Highlands area. The people were downright rude, the food wasnt that great, and it was pouring raining and we had nowhere to go but back out in it. I dont even know the name of the place.[/quote from the solemates page one]

I don't know what place that was, but, if you go north on 19E there is a small hamburger place on the right in Roan Mountain (the town) that serves delicious milkshakes.

Singe03
12-15-2005, 16:03
I wish I could remember the name of the place...

Its off a major road a bit more than halfway through the rollercoaster section, they had a sign posted at the trailhead. Awesome meal and really awesome story, one of the best days on the trail for me.

Laughing Bird and I decided to do the rollercoaster in one day when most of our friends were breaking it up in to two. Were taking a quick break and saw the sign advertising hamburgers, which sounded REALLY good to us at that point in time, but it also said it was 5 or so miles down the road. We considered hitching but were kind of waffling about it when she said, "Well if a car pulls up in the next couple minutes and offers us a ride, its a sign from the universe that we should go" (We were out of sight of the road). Almost immediately a car pulls up, guy was pulling off to sit in the shade for a bit, no AC in his car and said hello, we talked a little.

He said that the place advertised was closed on (Mondays?) which a closer look at the menu told us was true, but he knew a better place anyway that also had good burgers. He very nicely offered a ride, well we wanted to make miles but afterall, it was a sign from the universe and who are we to argue :)

We get to the burger joint and it turns out to be a rather nice resturant, big wooden deck, very clean, spotless bathrooms, etc. We're a little nervious being that far off the trail and appropriately sweaty and stinky from being halfway through the rollercoaster on a 90 degree day, but we are totally welcomed, seated and treated like GOLD. Turns out they really want hiker business, huge burgers, fries, excellent pie, sweet tea and an "error" on the check which resulted in it all costing about half as much as it should have that they "did not feel like" correcting. They even filled our water bottles.

So we're gorged and working up the will to hitch back to the trail, very happy but also wondering if we could make it back to the trail in time to make our destination...

A couple starts talking to us, asking about our trips. it turns out their daughter is hiking the PCT and has told them that it can be hard getting rides sometimes. Before the thought could even hit us to ask, they asked if we needed a ride anywhere, 15-20 minutes later we are back on the rollercoaster, moving a bit slower after all the food.

Krewzer
12-15-2005, 23:43
Best:
Shepherd's pie, strawberry shortcake and a large cheeseburger to go at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

A very very close second is the pancake breakfast at Pierce Pond.

Shaw's is pretty hard to beat also. I'm going to miss Keith clowning around the breakfast table...and that bottle he kept hid out in the garage.

Worst:
Even though I didn't complain in the least at the time, the worst meal had to be lunch at a road side fruit stand somewhere in Conn; a can of sardines, a bagel with peanut butter and honey, three plums, a snicker bar, a couple hand fulls of GORP, and five Stewart's Orange and Cream Soda's. I still love those sodas, but can't say the same for sardines and peanut butter.

Papa Razzi
12-17-2005, 16:48
Best:

- Any of the meals I ate at The Cabin in Andover. Honey's cooking is unbelievable, and the spread that Bear puts out for breakfast can't be beat.

- Breakfast at Harrison Camps. Of course, it certainly helped that I was quite excited about seeing my first moose ever mere minutes before breakfast...

- Pizza Hut buffett in Pearisburg. The pizza was pretty standard, but there's just something about 15-20 hikers demolishing a buffett that makes a meal memorable. You had to watch closely for when the pizza was brought out, otherwise you'd be left in the dust. I've got a great picture somewhere of a row of packs lining the wall outside the restaurant.

- After I finished the trail, I went to Acadia National Park for a few days. I got up early one morning to watch a rather spectacular sunrise from the campground where I was staying. One other gentleman was up that morning watching it, too. We got to talking, and it came up that I had just finished the Appalachian Trail a few days ago. He insisted on making me a celebratory breakfast, so I joined him and his wife for coffee, hash browns, eggs, toast, sausage, and some wonderful conversation a half an hour later.

Worst:

- Jelly on corn tortillas for lunch. It seemed like such a good idea at the time... ugh. Unfortunately, I packed it for three lunches in a stretch with no resupply options, so I just had to suck it up. It beat hunger, but that's about all I can say for it.

Grampie
12-18-2005, 16:06
I'm suprised that knowone mentioned the breakfast served at Upper Goose Pond cabin. Pancakes and coffee, right on the trail and for such a good price.:jump

Klezmorim
03-09-2006, 15:32
If you head into Blairsville, GA (about 15 minute ride north of Neels Gap) there is an AYCE Chinese restaurant next door to AYCE pizza in the Bi-Lo Plaza. We ate at the pizza buffet, Downtown Pizza, before our section hike. The variety and quality is good - not great, but good. The price? $4.50 per adult!!

Bi-Lo Plaza is a walk across a couple of busy roads in front of the Holiday Inn Express, where we stayed. This was a nice, clean motel, BTW, with a terrific breakfast bar. If you want a REAL room and a full belly for the night and next morning, check it out.

BooBoo
05-07-2006, 16:01
Shaws,Homeplace, to name a few.

LW for some reason I can't remember the former name of Sicily's in Damascus. The food and service to kicked *ss before it was sold to the current owners.

Worst: That place in DWG where Tricks and I allmost got kicked out. THe food was good but the waiter was a jack*ss. The funy thing is that place burned to the ground a few weeks later. No matter what Tricks tells ya, I didn't do it!

Lone Wolf
05-07-2006, 16:17
Quincy's Pizza is the former name.

Nean
05-07-2006, 16:35
Worst: That place in DWG where Tricks and I allmost got kicked out. THe food was good but the waiter was a jack*ss. The funy thing is that place burned to the ground a few weeks later. No matter what Tricks tells ya, I didn't do it!

Was it Browns or Brownies? Never ate there but enjoyed the pool table.

Spock
05-07-2006, 18:34
Worst: What easterners call barbeque. Especially south of Mason-Dixon Line
Best: The BBQ place at Monson, Maine. The owner learned his craft in Houston.
Buying BBQ from white people is like having an internist who isn't Jewish. Sometimes it is OK, but it's serious stuff, so why take the chance?

cannonball
05-07-2006, 19:21
Sorry but I just could'nt resist:

The best meal was at Ms. Janets this past Easter.
Sincerely, Boulder

docllamacoy
05-12-2006, 10:54
Best: The Homeplace in Catawba
Worst: I can't think of anything. I usually had a few drinks in me so if it was bad, I didn't notice.

fredmugs
07-06-2006, 11:58
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a worst dining experience but during my recent 150 mile section hike I was looking at places where I could eat and not have to carry additional food. In Cascade, MD there is a post office about a mile off the trail and there was a website for a place call Rocky's New York pizza. I figured I could do a mail drop to the post office and hit Rocky's at the same time. When I got to Rocky's it looked like it had been out of business for some time. The guy at the post office confirmed that when I picked up my mail drop. Fortunately I still had enough food and only 40 miles to complete my hike but that could have been an ugly situation.

Best (so far): Cheese steak, fires, and Yuengling at the Doyle.

Time To Fly 97
07-06-2006, 12:13
Mama's Country Kitchen, GA

How do you wanch yo eggs boyee?

TTF: Over Easy Please

Looks at me, then to the one cook:

"Scrambled!"

Then he looks my friend JC and says:

An how do you wan YO eggs?

JC: Scrambled?

Looks at the chef with a little smirk:

Scrambled!

So...we ended up having scambled eggs, which weren't bad at all. : )

TTF

mdionne
07-06-2006, 14:12
worst: pizza hut AYCE buffet in waynesboro (got stared at by 9 local rednecks for the entire hour that we ate, not a minute went by when they did not stare at our table. the most uncomfortable dining experience ever, let alone on the trail)

best: probably the pot lucks we had out on the trail, trying out everyone else's food was great! and gave me ideas for my own food.

jaywalke
07-06-2006, 14:16
Pretty fair doesn't cut it when you're from New York. Especially if you've spent any time in Little Italy.

I've lived in NYC, and spent plenty of time in Little Italy. There's nothing there that's better than Sal's in Radford, VA. It's off the trail (10 miles SW of Blacksburg), but if you are passing through on the highway it's well worth a stop.

mrc237
07-06-2006, 14:55
I didn't eat it, but I once saw a hiker make some sort of a gravy with peanut butter and other stuff that he sort of poured over some spagetti-ooosh. The Guinness beef stew at the IATLT as the best 2nd Baggettes and butter in Kent (just for you LW) 3rd anything at Shaw's. 4th Sirloin in Manch. Cen. The worst: anyplace that is rude to hikers esp. if they don't serve beer. BTW I had a great dining experience at SeeSaw Johnnies east of the AT/LT on rt 11 on Bromley Mtn not only fine food but $50 rooms with b'fast inc. Never had the opportunity to dine at the Homeplace but someday I will.

Doc
07-06-2006, 15:42
I would agree that Harrison's at Pierce Pond served about the best breakfast on the trail. Unfortunately I heard today that they are not open this year. Anyone know for sure what the situation really is? This is usually on my list of things to do here in Maine during the summer. I hike up to Pierce Pond, swim, look for loons and moose, and enjoy a fabulous breakfast before heading back to the ferry across the Kennebec.

Doc

SawnieRobertson
07-06-2006, 18:19
I much prefer the americanized mexican food (TexMex) to what is referred to as "interior mexican food" in these parts. Of course, the americanized TexMex is different than the americanized New Mexico style Mexican food. I think that the the widespread version is more along the "TexMex" line like the americanized version of Italian food is more like what you'd get in New York or New England.

I also prefer Texas style barbecue as opposed to the other variations that are very different from state to state.

And so, Austex, which Austin Mexican restaurant gets your dinero?
--Kinnickinic

Skidsteer
07-06-2006, 18:30
--Kinnickinic

If you live in Austin there's only one place to go for the best Tex/Mex.

San Antonio. ;)

Ridge
07-06-2006, 23:36
About the only restaurants I ate at where the ayce breakfast places, but the best, or the most memorable dining experience was as follows: I met my ole lady at Max Patch, she had brought rib-eyes, iced Heineken, pre-cooked bake potatoes, salad, a cd player with smooth jazz cd's, and a small grill etc. Best trail magic this kid had.

JohnK
07-07-2006, 08:02
Worst: What easterners call barbeque. Especially south of Mason-Dixon Line
What are your favorite bbq places in Austin?

Peaks
07-07-2006, 08:13
Best: Food brought in by Old Buffalo's family for us at Daicey Pond. Nice to have fresh food and vegatables after living off backpacking food all the way through the last 100 miles.

max patch
07-07-2006, 10:24
Worst: Buying BBQ from white people is like having an internist who isn't Jewish.

Dumbest comment of the day so far.

BTW, BBQ = pig.

Fofer
07-07-2006, 11:53
Its kind of funny reading the posts, I was thinking trail food. IN that case the best was when i was in scouts on the Loyalsock trail in PA. We had a good porton of the troop with us so we split up alot of gear and food and baked in a card board box, don't know if any of you have done that but its really easy, we had brownies. And we had pasta, chicken patties (already cooked, just heat up), and some vegies.:D

Worst: I bought a backpack cook book and tried to make a beef and veggie wrap, I screwed up by adding to much starch so i added more water but that made it soupy and it just tasted awful, I ended up chocking it down then having like a gallon of bug juice.:(

As for a resturant I've been thrown out of an all you can eat resturant in PA, again with my scout troop. we were there for about an hour and were asked to leave, we didn't get all we could eat.:mad:

But I love cooking on the trail, not just putting boiling water in a bag. I fing it more fulfilling too.

the goat
07-07-2006, 12:29
the worst is easily the restaurant on the main drag in palmerton....can't remember what it's called, but it was foul. it's not that far from the jailhouse.

Ridge
07-07-2006, 14:05
........ it's not that far from the jailhouse.

Yea, where the restaurant owners oughta be put.

BooBoo
07-08-2006, 01:00
Dumbest comment of the day so far.

BTW, BBQ = pig.

Depends on where you're from. In Texas is Beef Ribs and Brisket. Other places it may pork or Chicken.

btw: I worked at a BBQ joint in Arkansas called Brents Ribhouse. Both of the regular drivers from our food supplier where black and they told us we had the best BBQ they'd ever had. I think one driver was from Memphis and the other was from KC so these guys knew good BBQ.

BooBoo
07-08-2006, 01:03
Yogi and I put away 9 plates apiece when we ate B'fast at Shoneys i Gatlinburgh. Our server started giving us mean looks somewhere around plate # 4.

TOW
07-08-2006, 09:30
The best for me are three different places, two are still open and the other one has changed hands.

#1. The Appalachian Trail Cafe in Hot Springs is in my opinion hands down home style cooking at its best! When I go in there I feel as I am a part of the community as well!

#2. Quincy's in Damascus. Ron and Deb sold the place. But when I was here in 2001 and the day I hiked in that was just the best place to eat for me. Deb rocked on a good wholesome meal.

#3. Dot's Inn in Damascus. Undoubtedly the best tasting hamburger on the trail and plenty of it too. Suzanne from the Hikers Inn and I along with Local were in there one day not too long ago theorizing why Dot's burgers tasted so well? We realized it was because when she was forming the patty in her hand she had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and the ashes probably fell into the mixture and that is why they tasted like home......

The worse?

Sicily's in Damascus. Was formely Quincy's These people in my humble opinion just don't know how to cook good Italian food or American food. And I have told them this. I also suggested that if they were to cook food from their native land, where ever that was, then they would probably be more successful. They didn't care for my opinion one bit I could tell.

Heater
07-09-2006, 07:00
--Kinnickinic

Since I wrote that Curra's (Burnet road location) is probably my favorite and it is a cross between Interior Mexican food and TexMex.

Of the "mainstay" Mexican restauraunts of which none are great across the board, Chuy's is the most consistent and has good food. I really depends on what I am in the mood for. I know the menus pretty well but the quality and service varies with Chuys being the exception...

Hmmm... Tamale House #3 or Taco Shack for to go orders.

If you live in Austin there's only one place to go for the best Tex/Mex.

The best places to go are the little places that pop up. Small family owned places that are every bit as good or better than what is in S.A.

Also, don't forget the taco stands! There must be one on every corner that has been opened over the last few years. I always hit those for breakfast.

Now, I'm hungry! :D :D :D

Heater
07-09-2006, 07:11
Since I wrote that Curra's (Burnet road location) is probably my favorite and it is a cross between Interior Mexican food and TexMex.

Of the "mainstay" Mexican restauraunts of which none are great across the board, Chuy's is the most consistent and has good food. I really depends on what I am in the mood for. I know the menus pretty well but the quality and service varies with Chuys being the exception...

Hmmm... Tamale House #3 or Taco Shack for to go orders.

The best places to go are the little places that pop up. Small family owned places that are every bit as good or better than what is in S.A.

Also, don't forget the taco stands! There must be one on every corner that has been opened over the last few years. I always hit those for breakfast.

Now, I'm hungry! :D

I should say that sometimes the little places you try really ****.
I have been to two places that the food was too salty to eat. Completely inedible. I really think they did it on purpose 'cause they didn't want me to come back. I wasn't the right type of clientele. :mad: One other was completely rude.
Two of those places has since CLOSED. :sun

I am very active on the Austin food boards sometimes. :cool:

But you never know till you try them.

Heater
07-09-2006, 07:38
What are your favorite bbq places in Austin?

There is an area where the best is outside of Austin. Mueller's in Taylor of his kid's (Johnny Mueller) place that just moved from Austin to One block of my brothers new house in Bastrop. A few good places in Lockhart. (Black's BBQ comes to mind but skip the Sausage.)

There is a lot of good BBQ in Austin, though. Sam's, House Park ("Don't need teef to eat my beef" :D ) and a few others. Hoover's home cookin' is good too.

BTW. This is not totally off topic since most of these are on the "Texas BBQ Trail" :D

http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/taylor.php

Heater
07-09-2006, 07:50
BTW, BBQ = pig.

I prefer Pork Ribs to beef and make the Best Pulled Pork Sandwich you would ever eat.

...But in Texas and most everywhere else outside the Southern Appalachians... BEEF is king. :D
In Mexico, Cabrito come in a close second.

(and yes, dumb comment by Spock.)

mrc237
07-09-2006, 08:39
Any PCTers out there ever eat at the Mobile Station in Lee Vining. I read about it in an online review of restaurants near the PCT. The review was very favorful but its a GAS STATION. I get there around 2:00 PM and have a few cold ones no menu but a board and some pretty interesting fare. No real waiter service you order at the counter and they bring it to you. EXCELLENT FOOD! Great service and super hiker friendly. Awhile later a band set-up on the lawn and music was played all night. Drink special Mango Margaritas $9.00 for a pitcher. GREAT! Camped out up on a nearby hill with other hiker trash and watched the sunrise over a huge lake. Strolled back down the hill for some wonderful b'fast. Turns out the Chef's brother lives in my old neighborhood back in Brooklyn. Took a zero for some more fun and games etc.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2006, 10:11
You trash you!:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-09-2006, 10:40
Took a zero for some more fun and games etc. :eek: Gasp :eek:
You actually prioritized enjoyment over speed and lived to tell about it.
Hiker trash has all the fun.

mrc237
07-09-2006, 13:38
Just Me, My Backpack, Visa, Amex And I Have All The Fun I Can Handle.

rambunny
07-10-2006, 09:06
The Cabin,Shaw's,Home Place,A place i think called Michael's AYCE Sunday buffet in Hiawasee,for best. Worst Mountain House blueberry pancakes i tried to make at Moreland Gap shelter-a section hiker was like wow i've never seen a thru hiker pack out cooked food before!

DavidNH
06-08-2007, 16:36
Mexican restaurant in Erwin

Breakfast at Elms Restaurant in Erwin. WOW! Biscuits and gravey and three egg omlettes all for under 8 bucks and there was too much to finish. Mmmmm.

Inn at Long Trail in Vermont. Guiness Brew pub!
also this place had the finest Hot Cocoa on AT followed closely by Dalton, MA. Damn good breakfasts also..included in room rate. Plan to stay here if you possibly can!

Shaws hostel in Monson... wow! The finests breakfasts on the trail. Huge or modest portions..one price.

Smokey Mountain Diner in Hot Springs

Oh I should also mention the Dutch Haus in Virginia. WOW. The lady there can cook! Be advised..they sere a full lunch FREE to AT backpackers. It is two miles or so off trail though.

Waynesborough, VA. Hmm..chinese restaurant and what's that place with the all yo ucan eat pancake special? I didnt get through 4 of em but it was good!

I will add in here my two finest trail magic Feeds:
the BBQ in Georgia put on by Mother Nature and her friends (believe it was a Sunday in late March)
the July fiesta in Falls Village, CT
Hiker feed at Pavillion in Port Clinton, PA

worst experience.... diner in Stratton Maine. Only place I have ever been any where in the world where if you don't ask for cheese on the omlet they don't give you any. If anything in life is to be automatic with out question...it oghtta be cheese in an omlette! Anyway..the omlet was totally dry. Sigh.

Not bad but not great experiences..

port clinton hotel in Port Clinton, PA portions where absurdley huge even for a thru hiker.

Most any restaurant in Damasucs. Besides.. After the deal in Irwin..bound to be a let down.

Lastly..to this day I remain unimpressed by Gritz. Not much more than oatmeal. And so many of you southern guys make such a fuss over it! Just give me pancakes,eggs,omlettes, cocoa and the like. I will admit..I DO love the biscuits and gravey!!!

David

leeki pole
06-08-2007, 16:51
Maine Reds and burgers on the grill at Katahdin Spring Campground, with a few cold ones...does it get better;)

mweinstone
06-08-2007, 16:56
white heart . with ms on summit day. steaks good! went back second night with mari. salsburry conn.

leeki pole
06-08-2007, 16:56
Sorry, I meant Stream, not Spring.. old age brain malfunction;)

mrc237
06-08-2007, 19:49
Had two woderful dining pleasures on my recent hike #1 Lone Wolf took me to a Chinese Buffet in Bristol where we all feasted on great chinese cuisine the best part was when the check came it was 29.83 for five people and LW paid the bill. #2 The Homeplace!!!

Lone Wolf
06-08-2007, 21:21
Had two woderful dining pleasures on my recent hike #1 Lone Wolf took me to a Chinese Buffet in Bristol where we all feasted on great chinese cuisine the best part was when the check came it was 29.83 for five people and LW paid the bill. #2 The Homeplace!!!

took baltimore jack there last nite. paid the bill again. i'm a great friggin guy!:banana

Appalachian Tater
06-08-2007, 21:39
No one has mentioned breakfast at the Lazy Fox or at Mountain Harbor?

Lone Wolf
06-08-2007, 21:43
No one has mentioned breakfast at the Lazy Fox or at Mountain Harbor?

breakfast at lazy fox has been mentioned in MANY other threads by me. What and where is mountain Harbor?

mrc237
06-08-2007, 21:49
took baltimore jack there last nite. paid the bill again. i'm a great friggin guy!:banana

Independently wealthy is what I heard;)

Lone Wolf
06-08-2007, 21:51
Independently wealthy is what I heard;)

you heard right and then some! filthy f ckn rich!:banana

Yahtzee
06-08-2007, 21:54
Best: Lobster at the Cabin in Maine. HomePlace. First deli you get to in N.J./N.Y whereever you can get to one. The South got the biscuits, the North got the rolls.

Worst: Daniel's in Hiawassee.

Appalachian Tater
06-08-2007, 22:12
breakfast at lazy fox has been mentioned in MANY other threads by me. What and where is mountain Harbor?

http://www.mountainharbour.net/

Gaiter
06-08-2007, 23:38
i don't think i've seen this thread before, and i'm wondering how, who knows maybe i've done a drunk post here...

anyways: worst service at a resturant on the trail... the elm in erwin..me and lil'red were there, it was our table, one other table and three waitresses... so lil'red asked about their salads and our waitress starts to describe it "ya know its got like lettuce and carrots and ummm, umm that purple stuff" ... lil'red "red cabbage" waitress "yeah yeah thats it, i think"... so after a while we finally get our food, and i ask for catsup, and after a while she brings an empty bottle of catsup, but quickly dissappears before i realized that the bottle was empty.... so after a while i finally get her attention and ask for a bottle w/ catsup in it, and after another little bit she brings me another bottle and quickly disappears like before and yep it was a second empty bottle of catsup... i couldn't believe it, its not like they were busy... so finally i get a hold of another waitress that brings a bottle that wasn't empty....

another one... speaking of mtn harbour which is a great place, mary and terry are really nice people, he doesn't talk much because of a stroke, but she makes up for the two of them, good place to send mail drop, not much for resupply around there... anyways terry dropped us off at the restraunt down the road, don't recall its name, me, lil'red, and a couple other hikers,... we order our food and after a while it finally came... now i must mention one thing about our order, it had one common theme among us all, we all had something w/ cheese.... after a long wait our food finally came along w/ our appetizers... they had run out of cheese, so the cheese fries i ordered for an appetizer, one big plate of fries one little slice of cheese, one of us got a slice on our baked potatoe, the other's baked potatoe was lacking cheese, and the cheese burgers and anything else that was suppose to have cheese didn't..... never bothered to tell us 'hey we ran out of cheese'

mweinstone
06-09-2007, 01:08
the elms in erwin . by matthewski.
one fine thruhike attempt in 2006 i walked into the elms unsuspectingly. i ordered my usual trail thing for a place like this. may i please have two of your largest bacon cheeseburgers please i asked. one for here and one to go. thinking i would be getting hamburgers i waited. out came the woman with a paper shopping bag in one hand and a dinnerplate in the other with a meatloaf on a loaf of bread with a pound of bacon on it and a bottle of barbaque sauce on it. i asked what was happening.the nice woman told me she thaught i might not be aware of the size of there famouse burgers by the way i ordered my food. she was profusely sorry and gave me the second one for free. bluebird and abandon ate it back at janets. then at the register while paying, she threw in the milkshake free saying she works the night shift and dosnt make them good.it was good though. and all for 5.99. next person who badmouths the elms ,....may your cheese mold and your knife dull. may the pepperonie in your pack leak oil onto your toilet paper. may the gods of trail magic abandon ye!

DavidNH
06-09-2007, 10:31
the elms in erwin . by matthewski.
one fine thruhike attempt in 2006 i walked into the elms unsuspectingly. i ordered my usual trail thing for a place like this. may i please have two of your largest bacon cheeseburgers please i asked. one for here and one to go. thinking i would be getting hamburgers i waited. out came the woman with a paper shopping bag in one hand and a dinnerplate in the other with a meatloaf on a loaf of bread with a pound of bacon on it and a bottle of barbaque sauce on it. i asked what was happening.the nice woman told me she thaught i might not be aware of the size of there famouse burgers by the way i ordered my food. she was profusely sorry and gave me the second one for free. bluebird and abandon ate it back at janets. then at the register while paying, she threw in the milkshake free saying she works the night shift and dosnt make them good.it was good though. and all for 5.99. next person who badmouths the elms ,....may your cheese mold and your knife dull. may the pepperonie in your pack leak oil onto your toilet paper. may the gods of trail magic abandon ye!

Hey Mathewski... like I said in my previous post.. I got nothin but great memories of Elms. Some of the best breakfast food on the trail. Imagine paying 8 bucks and getting so much food that you can't finish?? Happened to me twice. Fortunatel, I was eating with hikers so nothin went to waste. Omlettes and biscuits and gravey. MMMM.

Regarding anyone else that would critisize Elms..I echo Mathewski's comments.. may your cheese mold, your peperonni leak, and your chocolate melt in your pack!

David

Gaiter
06-09-2007, 10:51
i wasn't criticizing the elm, just one waitress at the elm, how would you feel if you got not one but two empty bottles of catsup? i should have mentioned that my food was good and it was a huge plate, more than i could eat.

mweinstone
06-09-2007, 11:36
the elms rocks .the women and men who work there are above reproch. for these are the hiker feeders. theirs is the quest of filling what is empty in our world. stomachs!

camojack
06-09-2007, 11:44
"Surf & turf" (Crawdads & steak) at the "secret" shelter a couple of weekends ago was pretty damned good... :banana

chief
06-09-2007, 12:43
Dude, crawdads ain't seafood! it's called "mud & cud".

chief

camojack
06-09-2007, 12:46
chief

Artistic license... :D

Dranoel
06-15-2007, 19:39

chief

:banana Now that's friggin funny right there!! LMAO!

Faulkner
07-30-2007, 16:19
Without a doubt, the finest meal I haver ever eaten on the trail was free AYCE blackberries picked on the trail at the Dawson Forest WMA. Unforgettable.

Rain Man
07-31-2007, 09:32
Last week my daughter Grass and I did the AT through the Shenandoah National Park. We cowboy camped a few miles south of Thornton Gap/Hwy 211. We skipped breakfast that morning to hit the trail early; not to mention, we had studied the ATC Trail Guide that I had purchased at the Loft Mtn Wayside, and it said the Panorama Restaurant was at Thornton Gap. We planned a breakfast stop there. We hiked those miles with thoughts of food, drink, and tables and chairs, dancing in our heads.

Imagine our despair and DISGUST when we walked out of the woods only to see "CLOSED" on the Panorama building!!! A state trooper in the parking lot told me the place had been closed for a couple of years! Yet the ATC Guide, sold by the SNP at its official wayside, publicized it as an open restaurant! ARGHHHHH.

My worst dining experience... to date.

Rain Man

The Weasel
07-31-2007, 11:39
Elmer's.

I think we had Hot-and Sweet Soup, followed by Spinach Lasagna with Bechamel sauce, with fresh kitchen-made cheesecake and coffee.

If you have been to Elmer's you agree with me. If you haven't, any place you list is only second-place.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The Weasel

The Weasel

minnesotasmith
08-01-2007, 14:38
Elmer's.

I think we had Hot-and Sweet Soup, followed by Spinach Lasagna with Bechamel sauce, with fresh kitchen-made cheesecake and coffee.

If you have been to Elmer's you agree with me. If you haven't, any place you list is only second-place.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The Weasel

The Weasel
===========================================

Had about 4 meals at Elmer's in '06. The breakfasts were overpriced, really mainly just cheap white-flour starches, with milk severely rationed (toddler-sized cups). Dinners were fancy, served on china, but of little real substance. The salads were >95% lettuce, with a very thin garnish of other stuff on top. Only once in my memory was there a dark green vegetable with any real nutition (broccoli). Without the (white) bread and dessert (latter good but modest-sized), I'd have starved. The DutchHaus had better food from the POV of filling your stomach IMO.

Appalachian Tater
08-01-2007, 14:40

Had about 4 meals at Elmer's in '06. The breakfasts were overpriced, really mainly just cheap white-flour starches, with milk severely rationed (toddler-sized cups). Dinners were fancy, served on china, but of little real substance. The salads were >95% lettuce, with a very thin garnish of other stuff on top. Only once in my memory was there a dark green vegetable with any real nutition (broccoli). Without the (white) bread and dessert (latter good but modest-sized), I'd have starved. The DutchHaus had better food from the POV of filling your stomach IMO.

Yeah, it was so sucky you ate there four times! The meals there are optional but so much in demand that you have to be staying there to eat there. :banana:banana

Miss Janet
08-01-2007, 18:33
Alas, the Elms was closed all this season. Hikers had to put up with my cooking. But the building is for sale if any of you want to buy it and runa hiker friendly restaurant. I promise to bring you lots of tired, hungry hikers for dinner... especially if you recreate the Monster Burger... it was a great photo op!

Pokey2006
08-02-2007, 01:57
Elmers wins for best....runner up was pizza in New York (ALMOST as good as the pizza at home in Mass.). Worst was pizza in Franklin, N.C. And second worst was pizza in Pennsylvania.

mrc237
08-02-2007, 06:27
Last week my daughter Grass and I did the AT through the Shenandoah National Park. We cowboy camped a few miles south of Thornton Gap/Hwy 211. We skipped breakfast that morning to hit the trail early; not to mention, we had studied the ATC Trail Guide that I had purchased at the Loft Mtn Wayside, and it said the Panorama Restaurant was at Thornton Gap. We planned a breakfast stop there. We hiked those miles with thoughts of food, drink, and tables and chairs, dancing in our heads.

Imagine our despair and DISGUST when we walked out of the woods only to see "CLOSED" on the Panorama building!!! A state trooper in the parking lot told me the place had been closed for a couple of years! Yet the ATC Guide, sold by the SNP at its official wayside, publicized it as an open restaurant! ARGHHHHH.

My worst dining experience... to date.

Rain Man

This is beyond a doubt the very worse thing that can happen to a hiker!!!!!!!!

minnesotasmith
08-03-2007, 10:20
Yeah, it was so sucky you ate there four times! The meals there are optional but so much in demand that you have to be staying there to eat there. :banana:banana

Hot Springs had NO buffets when I was there. There really aren't any places that from my POV were that great to eat. I kept hoping the food at Elmer's would improve. Plus, there was the convenience and social factors (latter until I found out what kind of people Elmer did, and did not want at his place...)

Blue Jay
08-03-2007, 10:26

Had about 4 meals at Elmer's in '06. The breakfasts were overpriced, really mainly just cheap white-flour starches, with milk severely rationed (toddler-sized cups). Dinners were fancy, served on china, but of little real substance. The salads were >95% lettuce, with a very thin garnish of other stuff on top. Only once in my memory was there a dark green vegetable with any real nutition (broccoli). Without the (white) bread and dessert (latter good but modest-sized), I'd have starved.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are truly a very low form of life.

sherrill
08-03-2007, 10:40
Hot Springs had NO buffets when I was there.

Still doesn't, at least when I was there last. Probably won't, but I'm not an expert on Hot Springs either.

From many of your posts relating to dining on the trail you appear to consider buffets preferable. Besides the obvious, (volume) why does this factor in so heavily in your food preferences?

minnesotasmith
08-03-2007, 14:06
From many of your posts relating to dining on the trail you appear to consider buffets preferable. Besides the obvious, (volume) why does this factor in so heavily in your food preferences?

It's the selection issue above all. At a pay-by-the-bite place, once you've picked from the menu, you get 3 - 5 items, typically. At a decent buffet, dozens or scores of different dishes are available, as you sample different foods, get told by a dinner partner how tasty something is that you passed up initially, etc. Ah, variety...

minnesotasmith
08-03-2007, 14:08
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are truly a very low form of life.

BC I honestly reported on one of your most fav places on the Trail, where you must have fit in perfectly to be so upset that someone could find fault with the joint in question?:rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
08-03-2007, 14:12
Hot Springs had NO buffets when I was there. There really aren't any places that from my POV were that great to eat. I kept hoping the food at Elmer's would improve. Plus, there was the convenience and social factors (latter until I found out what kind of people Elmer did, and did not want at his place...)

There was nothing wrong with the diner across the street from Elmers. In fact, they had great burgers.

I'm curious about hearing more about the social factors and what kind of people Elmer did and did not want at his place.

bulldog49
08-03-2007, 14:30
There was nothing wrong with the diner across the street from Elmers. In fact, they had great burgers.

I'm curious about hearing more about the social factors and what kind of people Elmer did and did not want at his place.

Elmer's is for the "politically correct" only.

I happen to agree with MS's opinion on his food. When I'm hikeing I want food that fills me up and sticks to my ribs. His cuisine does not have what I consider comfort food.

Heater
08-05-2007, 01:02
Elmer's is for the "politically correct" only.

I happen to agree with MS's opinion on his food. When I'm hikeing I want food that fills me up and sticks to my ribs. His cuisine does not have what I consider comfort food.

What I want to know is, is his piano in tune?

mtnbiker
08-05-2007, 16:19
Been there once years ago. Never again!

mtnbiker
08-05-2007, 16:21
The Worst:
Chinese restaurant in Gorham. The waiter was a major jerk and threw the check onto the table. When I went to pay the bill I was going to say something after I got my change.. However, the guy threw the money and it went all over. I just had to laugh at how stupid this guy was acting. We had the all u can eat buffet, so it was not like we had to ask him for anything except for maybe one refill on our drinks.

The Best:
Chinese restaurant in Waynesboro...
Great food, and service at the all u can eat buffet....

I was there years ago. Never again!

Glo-Worm
09-30-2007, 00:24
Okay imagine Homeplace if you don't eat meat or fried food. After hearing how great a place it was since Hot Springs and hiking three marathon days to make their schedule I was a wee bit disappointed. I guess the mashed potatos were good but...

Glo-Worm 06

Marta
09-30-2007, 07:33
Best...Breakfast at the Pig Hill Inn in Cold Springs, NY

Worst...That's tougher...Probably the stromboli in Wind Gap, PA. I craved greasy food at that point, but that thing was wayyyy toooo greasy.

Paul Bunyan
09-30-2007, 09:08
Okay imagine Homeplace if you don't eat meat or fried food. After hearing how great a place it was since Hot Springs and hiking three marathon days to make their schedule I was a wee bit disappointed. I guess the mashed potatos were good but...

Glo-Worm 06

If you had heard about it since Hot Springs, then you should have heard they served meat and fried food. Don't be disappointed in something you can't (or won't) eat. If you can't eat meat, that is not the kind of place to go.

rafe
09-30-2007, 09:26
Best: Old South Mountain Inn ( Turner's Gap, just after Dahlgren LOUD campground) incredible food, great service.

NOTE: South Mountain, PA - there is a nice hiker friendly, short term supply deli across from the P.O. which is not listed in the 2004 - not to be mistaken as the tavern listed in the THHandbook that is reportedly not hiker friendly - different place.

I stopped at both on my last hike. The food and beer at South Mtn. Inn (in MD) was excellent but not cheap. The "hotel" at the town of South Mountain (PA) has a bar at which I had a cheeseburger and fries. They weren't unfriendly. There's a "Hanoi Jane" sticker in the urinal in the mens room. ;)

South Mountain, PA is fairly useless as trail towns go, but I had an unscheduled mail drop there. Thank g*d my package was waiting at the PO and I was able to move on. 'Nuff said.

I'm surprised to see so few mentions of Elmer's place (Sunnybank Farm) in Hot Springs for "best" meal. Anyway, it has my vote.

Overall tho, I'd have to say that thru-hikers are the worst possible judges of high cuisine. ;)

Appalachian Tater
09-30-2007, 12:02
If you had heard about it since Hot Springs, then you should have heard they served meat and fried food. Don't be disappointed in something you can't (or won't) eat. If you can't eat meat, that is not the kind of place to go.

And don't stay at a place that is listed in the Companion as having "organic vegetarian" meals and then complain that it didn't satisfy your desire for a fried-meat buffet!

rafe
09-30-2007, 12:21
Must say tho, from recent memory... blackberry shake at Elkwallow Gap was incredible. Lunch (w/beer and dessert) at Skyland was excellent, with a fine view as well.

saimyoji
09-30-2007, 12:57
Perhaps pricey on most budgets, but Cabelas near Port Clinton has some damn fine chow.

Blissful
09-30-2007, 15:42
And don't stay at a place that is listed in the Companion as having "organic vegetarian" meals and then complain that it didn't satisfy your desire for a fried-meat buffet!

Vegetarians don't eat fried foods?

I love fried veggies, actually. Except now. Gotta cut back and watch it (sniff). Oh those great glory days of hiking when one could eat whatever they want!

Blissful
09-30-2007, 15:46
Perhaps pricey on most budgets, but Cabelas near Port Clinton has some damn fine chow.

Wish they'd had some good stuff while we were there. :( The buffet that night stunk. I am not a stuffed pepper person. I ate tacos at taco Bell.

I liked the PIzza Place at Gorham. Paul Bunyan disliked their pizza but they served an awesome turkey dinner which I really enjoyed.

Best pizza for me was the delivery we got at Mohican Trail Center.

Best food I had though was the feasts served up at The Cabin hostel. Wow can Honey and bear do it up right!!! Amazing stuff and tons of it.

Appalachian Tater
09-30-2007, 15:46
Vegetarians don't eat fried foods?

I love fried veggies, actually. Except now. Gotta cut back and watch it (sniff). Oh those great glory days of hiking when one could eat whatever they want!

Not if the food happens to be meat!?

Blissful
09-30-2007, 15:52
Homeplace had fried chicken? - can't remember now but i think so.
When I think of fried foods I think of french fries or onion rings. I just thought it was strange to see "fried" meat.

Jack Tarlin
09-30-2007, 15:53
I think the best meal I had this spring or summer was the steak dinner that Rock bought me in Gatlinburg. If Bfitz and I ate better all summer, I'll be damned if I can remember when. And incidentally, if anyone who's following this thread knows Gettysburg at all, where's the best place to get a drink and a steak?

Red Hat
09-30-2007, 17:01
Best meal this year was Jack's amazing lasagna at Miss Janet's. Best meal in 05 was probably the Chinese buffet in Franklin. Lots of memories from other years too. Hilltop House in Harper's Ferry had a nice breakfast.

Worst? Nothing really tastes bad out there!

saimyoji
09-30-2007, 22:24
Wish they'd had some good stuff while we were there. :( The buffet that night stunk. I am not a stuffed pepper person.

I usually steer clear of buffets in places that are primarily retail stores. :)

The smoked elk wrap and wild boar are very good. Buffalo burgers and venison links.....mmmmmmm