PDA

View Full Version : Ohm Vs. Gorilla

KMACK
11-03-2010, 19:06
ULA Ohm vs. Gossamer Gear Gorilla...I'm leaning towards the Gorilla but I'm looking to see if anyone has owned/tried both for better insight.

Miner
11-03-2010, 19:53
It would be easier if you mentioned what you were looking for and what your gear was like (type, volume, weight). But mostly, I think its a matter of personal preference as I don't think one is clearly better then the other except maybe in a few specific cases that may not apply to everyone.

The problem with comparing them is Gossemer Gear has been beefing up their packs in recent years so anyone who has compared them in the past will remember when they weren't as durable and would maybe last one thru-hike while the ULAs last for years. ULA packs are traditionally more durable then Gossemer Gear ones though either should last you for a thru-hike without trouble.

The Ohm is slightly bigger. You can store some of your clothes in the padding/straps of the Gossemer Pack, but that means the comfort of the padding is dependent on what you carry and aren't using at the time. For the most part, they are very comparable and you'll likely be happy with either. Both have good cusomter service.

If you are out in Southern California in April, you could visit the ADZPCTKO in April and try them both out since both companies always show up. Because the easiest way to make up your mind is load both packs with your gear and try them out. As a personal preference, I like the Ohm better and I think it carries a bear can better (but this may not be an issue for an east coast hiker), but I'm biased as I've owned 2 other ULA packs and have been most satisfied with them.

KMACK
11-03-2010, 21:40
I'll keep it short. Most hikes are one/three nights. Mostly hike in spring/fall and some one nighters in winter. Hang in a hammock except winter. Base pack weight is around 10/15lbs all depending on what where when. East coast only. I would love to see both packs side by side but I dont think that is going to happen. My concerns w/the Ohm are the thin hip belt/buckle and straight bar they use for the frame. The Gorilla's curved frame looks more form fitting and it can be removed. Just having a hard time committing to one or the other. "just get both" some will say but the wallet is having issues.

KMACK
11-03-2010, 21:44
Oh, currant pack is an EMS brand 50 liter w/lid removed along w/some other straps and stuff. Weighs in at about 2.5 lbs. No outside pockets except side H2O holders.

skinewmexico
11-03-2010, 23:31
Ohm is the only ULA pack I don't own. I do like my Gorilla a lot, but it takes a little time to figure out how to pack it where it fits right. From a quality standpoint, you can't go wrong with either. Probably get more answers if you ask this on BPL.