PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on how to start planning!!

Chrisj
11-03-2010, 21:39
I'm planning on thru hiking starting around March 1-14 2011. I have been trying to get everything planned out, but I'm just overwhelmed. Can someone please give me some suggestions on where and how to start planning??

Mags
11-03-2010, 21:48
A shameless plug for a quick and dirty AT guide I wrote..

http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-the-appalachian-trail

Just a way to get the ball rolling on planning w/o getting overwhelmed.

At the very least, this link from the ATC is helpful:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm

Once you get the basics you can fine tune your specific questions here. :sun

Good luck!

Wise Old Owl
11-03-2010, 21:50
You are at the right place as there are articles here on this database and at Sgt Rocks site.
http://hikinghq.net/
An outside site is here
http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/atplanning.html

Mountain Wildman
11-03-2010, 21:55
Being that you only have 4 solid months to plan, I would get a book, Mag's book looks good though I am not familiar with it, It looks to have all bases covered.
I used the Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike Planner by the A.T.C.
You have plenty of time but a structured approach with a book to guide you couldn't hurt. In my opinion.

Spokes
11-03-2010, 21:56
This is really all you need to know:

Backpacker Magazine- Hiking the AT (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530). 10 page article that covers almost everything.

Mountain Crossings Gear List (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). This list gives you an 18-19 lb. base weight pack. Tweak for summer.

Chrisj
11-03-2010, 22:00
I have The Thru-Hikers Handbook and The Thru-hikers companion. I just dont know where to start with them.

aaronthebugbuffet
11-03-2010, 22:03
I have The Thru-Hikers Handbook and The Thru-hikers companion. I just dont know where to start with them.
Figure out what gear you need.
Get a ride to Springer and start walking.

Mags
11-03-2010, 22:06

Start at Springer Mtn with 4 days of food. Walk north. Resupply. Repeat until Katahdin. :sun

Being serious, don't get overwhelmed. If you have not done any extensive backpacking, figure about 10-12 MPD to start. So, figure what town you want to hit at the the 40-50 mile mark. Get some more food to last another ~45 miles when you arrive. Figure out the next town up the trail where you'll buy food. Repeat.

As you get stronger, you'll do more miles per day. Adjust accordingly.

That's an AT hike in a nutshell. What type of gear to bring, what clothing to wear, etc. are just fine details.

Good luck!

singing wind
11-03-2010, 22:27
Hi chrisj,

Lots of good suggestions here.

Yes, planning a big trip like this can be overwhelming at times. You might try taking small steps - ie choose 50 or 100 miles of trail at a time and concentrate on that ... set a goal for the day and work towards completing it. By breaking things down into smaller pieces and staying focused the task can be completed. And it's great practice for when you get on the trail as well.

Imagine trying to eat a whole pie all at once - much easier to cut it into pieces and take small bites...

Good luck with your planning and I certainly hope you enjoy your trip!

DapperD
11-03-2010, 23:43
I'm planning on thru hiking starting around March 1-14 2011. I have been trying to get everything planned out, but I'm just overwhelmed. Can someone please give me some suggestions on where and how to start planning??Read the Spirit Eagle Thru-Hiking Papers for some good info and plenty of food for thought:http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html

4shot
11-04-2010, 09:00
I was in your shoes this time last year. In retrospect, the gear and logistics part of the hike are in reality the simplest part. I would tell you to decide what gear you want without stewing over it (and it doesn't really matter if you get "this pack" or "that sleeping bag" or whatever). After that it truly is a matter of many short section hikes strung together. Resupply is rather simple and their are plenty of outfitters along the way to deal with gear issues. You can adjust your strategy along the way - for example, I chose initially not to do any maildrops. However I started getting a few of them midway because I got tired of "trail food" and wanted some "homemade" dehydrated food.

Before I did my thru-hike I was a "newbie" and had not done anything more than overnight trips (I did however do two 3-day shakedown trips last winter after I decided to thru-hike).

In thinking back on the planning aspect and seeing the posts on WB related to the subject I think the underlying asumption that most (not all) have is that the potential thru-hiker will be in the wilderness for months ala Lewis and Clark so therefore every "i" must be dotted and "t" crossed and that "success" or "failure" will be determined upfront in the planning and gear selection. Pick your gear, based on what you like and have budgeted, relax and enjoy the hike.

Grampie
11-04-2010, 11:09
Chris..Lot's good stuff posted so far. Try to find someone who has thru-hiked and ask for advise. Most thru-hikers will be more than glad to help you get started.
My advise would be.. Don't over plan. Happy trails. Grampie -N->2001

Lone Wolf
11-04-2010, 11:11
I'm planning on thru hiking starting around March 1-14 2011. I have been trying to get everything planned out, but I'm just overwhelmed. Can someone please give me some suggestions on where and how to start planning??

there's not much to "plan". the only thing i planned was the day i started and transportation to the trail. i had no mail drops. i had a data book, maps and a guidebook. at the time there were no websites to overwhelm you. just get your eqipment and go walkin'. add and subtract gear as you go

Chaco Taco
11-04-2010, 11:27
Wolf is right. Any plan you make will go straight out the window once you get to Georgia. Things unplanned for are things like if there is alot of rain those first couple of days. Really, focus on your gear and food. Figure out what you like that is light and easy. Get a guidebook and get familiar with the towns. That way you will know ahead of time where to resupply. Mags info is great. Just search old threads here. Get a ride to Springer and start walking. Just really plan on about 3-4 days of food, each time you leave town.

Lyle
11-04-2010, 11:30
Other than planning for money and time off from the "real world", it's simple.

1) Plan a one-week hike north from Springer.
2) Take a rest day.
3) Plan a one-week hike from your rest day.
4) Take a rest day.
5) Plan a one-week hike from...

You get the idea. That's about all it is really. By the time you hit Fontana, you'll be a seasoned pro. :-)

emerald
11-04-2010, 12:21
This question should be answerable with a single link to ATC's website. Part of the problem today is information overload made worse by multiple websites that provide the same information.

Step by Step: An Introduction to Walking the Appalachian Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{D25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1}/Step%20by%20Step%20Fall%2006.pdf) (PDF).

I continue to believe the best use of this website is getting quick answers to specific questions.

Awol2003
11-04-2010, 12:49
there's not much to "plan". the only thing i planned was the day i started and transportation to the trail. i had no mail drops. i had a data book, maps and a guidebook. at the time there were no websites to overwhelm you. just get your eqipment and go walkin'. add and subtract gear as you go

This is an excellent approach.

For those not as comfortable winging it, go to the WB home page and look at "Articles" in the box on the left. For even more detail, I have sample daily plans here:
http://theatguide.com/HikePlans.html

Odd Man Out
11-04-2010, 13:56

I too vote for the "not planning" plan. Odd though, that we have this forum with thousands and thousands of post to help us not plan :rolleyes:

Pony
11-04-2010, 15:16
I spent the better part of six months prior to my attempted thru in 2008 immersed in planning for the trail. By the time I got on the trail I felt burned out on all the trail info that I had been studying. couldn't really get into the hike and got off the trail in Damascus.

This year I decided to pick the trail back up in Damascus, and other than taking care of a few gear issues before I left, I didn't plan at all, other than getting to the trail. I didn't even get my gear together until the day before I left. The trail felt fresh and new this year, and I never once thought about getting off for any reason.

I think it's easy to get carried away with planning, and I believe it can take away from some of the spontanity of the trail. Get your gear, make arrangements to get to Springer, and start walking. Any issues can be resolved on the trail with relative ease.

DapperD
11-05-2010, 12:03
More good reads:http://www.appalachiantrail.com/thru-hiking-preparation.html

Spokes
11-05-2010, 12:35
I agree with Lyle.

What I found, on both my thru hike and trans-am bicycle trip, is all you need to know is how to get through one cycle of re-supply. Once you get past that the routine is pretty much established.

Deadeye
11-05-2010, 17:17
So, a plan for the development of a plan, hmmm. You may have been working too long already. At work we have committees for planning, and planning committees, and plans for committee review of the plan developed by the committees for planning as well as (you can't just say 'and') committees to review the planning committees' plans.

Hike till you run out of food, or need to change gear, then re-supply and hike some more. Repeat as needed until you run out of trail or desire, whichever comes first.

Blissful
11-05-2010, 20:19
Hike till you run out of food, or need to change gear, then re-supply and hike some more. Repeat as needed until you run out of trail or desire, whichever comes first.

Are you kidding?
I would not want to run out of food stuck on Roan Mtn in a snowstorm.
I've been there (at Overmountain in '07) and it was awful. Since then I always carried an extra day of food just in case

Some planning is definitely needed. And esp while you are on the hike too so you DON'T run out of food.

To the hiker - The biggest thing you need to settle on beforehand is your gear. And how you want to get your food, whether by buying on the way, maildrops, or combination. If you do want some drops, check here for places that might be good to have them and what people include in them. I used drops and liked it very much. Esp this year with my SOBO. It was too expensive buying at convenience stores and many grocery stores in the small towns (that don't have a Dollar General or Wally world). I spent more there then what it cost for the box and the food. And the choices were poor or the same ol' thing.

Deadeye
11-06-2010, 19:17
OK, so hike until the day before you run out of food. Of course I don't mean hike until you're out and then figure out you're 2 days from the next town... c'mon.

It ain't that complicated - you take the gear and food you need for a week long hike and resupply at appropriate intervals (yes... before you actually run out of food) and repeat. If you want to plan the whole trip, go ahead, some folks feel the need. Beyond checking out where the next town is, I don't.

emerald
11-06-2010, 20:52
Sometimes it's helpful when people realize a through hike is little more than a series of day hikes that involves camping and resupply, but even through hikers who come to believe they are special forget.

DapperD
11-06-2010, 23:03
OK, so hike until the day before you run out of food. Of course I don't mean hike until you're out and then figure out you're 2 days from the next town... c'mon.

Just a rule of thumb when/before posting, reread it multiple times or prepare to be befuddled:D. Don't worry Deadeye, I for one understood you just fine:sun.

TEXMAN
11-21-2010, 22:19

Start planning by doing .... by walking everyday so your hiking shoes/boots/trail runners are broken in and your feet are used to the routine ...this will prevent a lot of the blister problems everyone has at the beginning ...
By the week before you leave you should have worked up to a 15 mile day and a 75 mile week ....
Practice with your pack so you get used to it ...

O.M. River