PDA

View Full Version : footprint

inavacuum
11-03-2010, 23:34
How necessary is it to have a footprint?

Mountain Wildman
11-03-2010, 23:45
It is really just extra protection, If you are real careful about the surface you pitch your tent on you don't need one, Although if you are using a tent like the Gossamer Gear "The One" I have coming on Friday then they recommend using at least a polycro ground sheet because the tent floor is the same lightweight Spinnaker material that the rest of the tent is made from. If you have a heavy floor like a 70D Nylon for example, You should not need one but you still have to be careful of the surface.

Limo
11-04-2010, 08:32
I never use a footprint, because I don't like getting wet. I know that a footprint will protect the floor, but I'd rather be dry. If it rains, a footprint traps water between the floor and footprint, and that water eventually seeps through the floor. Instead, I use a piece of Tyvek cut a bit bigger than my floor. I put it inside the tent and let it run up the sides a bit; a Tyvek bathtub. If it rains, the water may get between the tent floor and the Tyvek, but I stay dry on top. I learned this from an old river guide. It was counter-intuitive to everything I had ever been taught, and it took me quite some time before I tried it. Now, I won't set up my tent any other way. I'm careful about the surfaces where I set up my tent, and I really have not had any issues with floor damage. If I do, I carry a lightweight roll of tent tape for repairs. I'd rather be setup to stay dry than worry about damage to the tent floor, which can easily be repaired.

Spokes
11-04-2010, 08:46
I also use a Tyvek sheet when tenting and make sure it's folded sightly smaller than the tent floor so water shedding off the tent drips on the ground instead of in-between. Never been flooded out yet.

It's also handy as a shelter floor cover and gear layout mat.

Doc Mike
11-04-2010, 08:51
Have never used one. It's had to justify a benifit with the hammock.

Doc Mike

halftime
11-04-2010, 08:52
I never use a footprint, because I don't like getting wet. I know that a footprint will protect the floor, but I'd rather be dry. If it rains, a footprint traps water between the floor and footprint, and that water eventually seeps through the floor. Instead, I use a piece of Tyvek cut a bit bigger than my floor. I put it inside the tent and let it run up the sides a bit; a Tyvek bathtub. If it rains, the water may get between the tent floor and the Tyvek, but I stay dry on top. I learned this from an old river guide. It was counter-intuitive to everything I had ever been taught, and it took me quite some time before I tried it. Now, I won't set up my tent any other way. I'm careful about the surfaces where I set up my tent, and I really have not had any issues with floor damage. If I do, I carry a lightweight roll of tent tape for repairs. I'd rather be setup to stay dry than worry about damage to the tent floor, which can easily be repaired.

Agree... not as heavy as standard footprint and keeps your tent floor cleaner as well as help protect from inside....also multipurpose (such as ground sheet on day breaks) or in shelters.

Serial 07
11-04-2010, 08:55
I also use a Tyvek sheet when tenting and make sure it's folded sightly smaller than the tent floor so water shedding off the tent drips on the ground instead of in-between. Never been flooded out yet.

It's also handy as a shelter floor cover and gear layout mat.

well said...

Pedaling Fool
11-04-2010, 09:03
How necessary is it to have a footprint?
It's a complete waste of time and money. I don't know how clean it keeps the bottom of them tent, then agian I couldn't care less of how clean the bottom of my tent is. The floor will not wear out any time soon, mine hasn't and if it ever does I got duct tape...

It's a big marketing gimmick...

garlic08
11-04-2010, 09:50
I have not used anything under my tent floor in about 8000 trail miles. My current shelter has a silnylon floor with 6000 miles on it and it looks ready for 6000 more. Henry Shires, who makes silnylon shelters, says he never gets an old tent back for floor repair.

It does take some experience and skill in site selection to stay out of the puddles and sharp stuff.

Blissful
11-04-2010, 09:53
I used my tyvek sheet this year and it weighs nothing. On sopping wet ground it was nice to spread out under the vestibule for resting my gear.

SMSP
11-04-2010, 10:51
I made a Tyvek footprint for my Kelty Teton 2, which included the vestibule area. This set-up weighed MORE than the Kelty footprint for the tent itself along with a peice of Tyvek just for the vesitbule area. Interesting. So I am choosing to use the Kelty footprint and peice of Tyvek when I use this tent because I can then use that peice of Tyvek (for the vesitbule area) as a siitng peice while on the trail without using an entire Tyvek footprint for sitting on the trail. I'll have to refer to my notes for the numbers (weight) and update soon.

So I like the footprints, YMMV.

SMSP

Lyle
11-04-2010, 11:55
If it rains, a footprint traps water between the floor and footprint, and that water eventually seeps through the floor. Instead, I use a piece of Tyvek cut a bit bigger than my floor. I put it inside the tent and let it run up the sides a bit; a Tyvek bathtub. If it rains, the water may get between the tent floor and the Tyvek, but I stay dry on top.

Water won't be trapped between a ground cloth/footprint and tent floor if you use a footprint properly. You must make sure that the footprint does not extend out from the perimeter of the tent floor. One always sees folks out there with their footprint/ground cloth sticking out all around their tent, just waiting to funnel any falling rain right under the tent.

Tyvek is not waterproof, so any water trapped between it and the tent floor will be pushed through it as you lay on it and roll around. For my money, I will take the added benefit - the reason I use a ground cloth - of protecting the expensive tent floor from abrasion and reduce the chance of puncture.

Been using the polycryo that Gossamer Gear sells for a number of years now. Very tough, light, and inexpensive stuff. No need to buy a "footprint", just place the ground cloth underneath where you will be laying and putting the most abrasive forces on the tent floor.

YMMV, as with most everything, is all a personal choice.

Tilly
11-04-2010, 14:07
I like carrying a tyvek sheet because when it's nice out I can sleep out on that instead of using the tent.

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2010, 14:16
Footprints, ground cloths, and 5mill plastic is all about making the tent floor last longer. Some of my tents are over ten years old because I used them to death, but always used a sheet. On the other hand one cheap dome tent was purchased for hiking with the clear intention of tossing it after the season, so I didn't use a footprint. At the end I tossed it anyway because the sun made UV holes in it.

If after a severe downpour the "footprint" which is smaller than the tent allows you to pack the tent "clean" without all the mud & dirt. It also prevents small punctures of the self inflating air mats from sticks.

In a Survival situation the footprint can used as a tarp to keep wood & tinder, or your dog dry. Otherwise its dead weight.

Ok Limo is doing this upside down.

inavacuum
11-07-2010, 13:27
so I've got a Ketly Teton 2.

What's my best option to stay dry? Forget about any kind of ground sheet?

garlic08
11-07-2010, 16:34
Best way to stay dry is be smart in site selection. Choose well-drained ground. Do not camp in a dirt bowl in a pounded site if rain is expected. If staying dry is critical, look for a virgin site and do your best to leave it that way--no trenching, fire rings, chopping wood, etc.

Big Dawg
11-07-2010, 20:24
I apply this (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html) treatment to my tent floor. It works great,,, for silnylon tents, that is.

Toolshed
11-07-2010, 21:08
It all depends on your needs... If you want to have your tent looking like new after 5 years (which is great if you are like me and buy cheaply on closeouts and turn around after a few trips and sell items on ebay) to resell it and make as much as possible, then use a footprint outside the tent and protect your investment. As others said - Cut a few inches smaller than the tent floor.

If you just don't care, then don't bother.
I'm pretty meticulous with my gear and I keep it in brand new condition. pots get scrubbed after trips - Black comes off. Stoves & Filters get cleaned and air-dried. all nylon equipment gets aired out, hung and dried outside (or hung inside in wet weather) and packed lightly upstairs where it is usually less humid than the basement. Ground cloths (3mil walamart plastic) get hosed down and aired dried.
I have friends who finish trips and don't even empty their packss for weeks sometimes because it simply isn't important to them.
Take all kinds......

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2010, 21:15
I apply this (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html) treatment to my tent floor. It works great,,, for silnylon tents, that is.

Great find Big Dawg! - good article!

Toolshed whats a packss?

leaftye
11-07-2010, 21:43
I like a ground sheet for at least two reasons. 1. It prevents ground moisture from wetting the bottom of my shelter. 2. It helps reduce the risk of puncture and abrasion damage.

I use a polycro sheet most of the time.

SMSP
11-07-2010, 23:02
so I've got a Ketly Teton 2.

What's my best option to stay dry? Forget about any kind of ground sheet?

I havent expereinced any rain while using my Teton 2 as of yet. But, from the reviews I've read, it has been solid in the weather.

SMSP