PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Cup

JEBjr
11-04-2010, 15:02
Saw this while playing on the internet, I thought it looked like a good idea.

http://purebound.com/gear/homemade_measuring_cup.htm

Luddite
11-04-2010, 15:10
"Did you know that you are already carrying the weight of a measuring cup in your backpack?"

No...I'm not.

That is a pretty good idea. Thanks for the link.

jdb
11-04-2010, 15:15
Great Idea....One of those "Why didn't I think of that"

daddytwosticks
11-04-2010, 16:19
That's using your dipstick, Jimmy! :)

Kerosene
11-04-2010, 16:36
I've just scratched a few lines on my pot and cup. Perhaps it's not as visible or accurate, but it was a whole lot easier to implement!

Mountain Wildman
11-04-2010, 18:31
I have the Orikaso Solo set, The cup that comes in the set has measure marks on the side and it stores flat, weighs about 1/2 ounce and I use it to drink from.
Multi-use!
Good idea on the link though.

amac
11-04-2010, 18:54
This is a good idea. I would scratch the sides of my pot, as I agree that it is easier to implement, but my pot has that black, no-stick stuff on it. Don't want to encourage it to begin chipping.

Thanks for sharing this, JEBjr.

amac
11-04-2010, 19:05
Just thought of another way of doing this (ya' got me thinking, JEBjr.)
Mark you water bottles at the 1, 2, and 3 cup levels (and maybe the halves, as well). Then when you pour out the water, note how much you are starting at.
Of course, this only works for those who carry see-through bottles.

Hikes in Rain
11-04-2010, 19:48
My pot's old enough, and been used enough, that the marks left on it from many meals cooked in it give a relatively accurate measure. Maybe I should clean it a little better!

SassyWindsor
11-04-2010, 19:58
My brother put small dings/dimples into my different size pots for measuring (I'll pick one to carry/use depending on the occasion ). You would need a different marked utensil for each size pot, this eliminates that. Besides, I'll lose a utensil long before my pot, then a stick will do.

SMSP
11-04-2010, 21:43
K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid

SMSP

Farr Away
11-05-2010, 09:54
I use permanent marker on the outside of the lid of my lemonade jar, then I paint over the marker with clear nail polish.

I change pots based on how many are on the hike, but my lemonade jar almost always goes.

-FA

sarbar
11-05-2010, 12:40
In worst case scenario you stop at a SB's on the way to the trailhead and acquire a paper espresso cup (for straight shots) and use that to measure water ;-) It is 1/2 cup.

BobTheBuilder
11-05-2010, 13:33
In worst case scenario you stop at a SB's on the way to the trailhead and acquire a paper espresso cup (for straight shots) and use that to measure water ;-) It is 1/2 cup.

But what if there wasn't a Starbuck's on the way to the trailhead? Oh, wait, never mind. What was I thinking?

SkraM
11-05-2010, 13:52
Great idea. Just deleted one item off my packing list. Good-bye measuring cup.

Tinker
11-05-2010, 21:49
About the link:
It would be easier to take a dull nail and give it a tap to make a mark on the inside of your pot to indicate the water level (unless it's anodized or coated).

Also: Note the Lexan Spork (it's melted). That's the reason I don't use plastic in my cookset (except for the coffee filter). If you happen to try to stir your food when it's on a campfire, burn yourself and drop the Lexan utensil into the fire it will melt. If you do the same with a metal one (ti, stainless, or aluminum) you should be able to retrieve it and it will have been sterilized as well ;). Also, plastic gets brittle in extreme cold (that's the same reason I abandoned plastic water storage containers in winter a couple of years ago).

Moose2001
11-06-2010, 23:47
I cut apart a Pepsi bottle and just kept the bottom. Used a marker on the outside to give me the measurements I needed. It weighs nothing, fits inside my mug and is almost idiot proof! :)

4eyedbuzzard
11-06-2010, 23:55
But what if there wasn't a Starbuck's on the way to the trailhead? Oh, wait, never mind. What was I thinking?
Yeah, who in their right mind would think of hiking somewhere there wasn't a conveniently located Starbucks. Roughing it is one thing, but no Starbucks? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

sarbar
11-07-2010, 12:00
Yeah, who in their right mind would think of hiking somewhere there wasn't a conveniently located Starbucks. Roughing it is one thing, but no Starbucks? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Hehheh....out here there is one in EVERY little town. All the roads going to the mountains have at minimum one.:D