PDA

View Full Version : Practical (and less discussed) Advantages of a Section Hike

drastic_quench
11-05-2010, 14:33
My plans from a year ago have changed. I'm in education now, and while I can't afford a leave of absence, I can put together an AT thru hike over two summer breaks. Ideally, I'd like to be out there with 90% of the other hikers and do a traditionally NOBO on a standard start date, but that's not in the cards.

So, I got thinking - mostly just to sell myself on the idea - of all the advantages a section hike would grant me.

First up was that it absolutely increases my odds of completion. The likelyhood of some sort of chronic injury has to decrease if I'm hiking for only three months at a go, and not six.

Secondly, a summer break is long enough to get my trail legs and really whip myself into shape without getting too stringy and being becoming one of the occasional bag of bones to finish on Katahdin.

What else is there?

Pony
11-05-2010, 14:39
Doing the trail in two sections isn't that much different than a thru. Three months is still a long time on the trail. I think your biggest advantage is that you get to go back to the trail a second time for a long hike. If it were me I would be tempted to stretch it out into three or four summers.

FlyPaper
11-05-2010, 14:50
My plans from a year ago have changed. I'm in education now, and while I can't afford a leave of absence, I can put together an AT thru hike over two summer breaks. Ideally, I'd like to be out there with 90% of the other hikers and do a traditionally NOBO on a standard start date, but that's not in the cards.

So, I got thinking - mostly just to sell myself on the idea - of all the advantages a section hike would grant me.

First up was that it absolutely increases my odds of completion. The likelyhood of some sort of chronic injury has to decrease if I'm hiking for only three months at a go, and not six.

Secondly, a summer break is long enough to get my trail legs and really whip myself into shape without getting too stringy and being becoming one of the occasional bag of bones to finish on Katahdin.

What else is there?

One big advantage is the ability to avoid the crowd. With the large number of thru-hikers starting each year and the fairly short window available for starting (in hopes of finishing) a thru-hike, I would think the shelters and campsites are overrun with people. If you start at the end of a school year, you're missing the crowd coming out of Springer. You'll still have the opportunity to meet people on the trail, but without so much of a crowd.

Secondly, once you let go of the possibility of a thru-hike and break it down to at least two years, there is no real barrier, including a psychological barrier in going to 3 or 4 years. Bottom line, you won't have to hurry. If you feel like walking 25 miles in a day, you can, but if you don't, you don't have to. You can enjoy the scenery more. Sleep in more. The cool thing is that when you begin your hike, you really don't even have to decide ahead of time if you're going to break it down into 2, 3 or 4 years.

I have not thru-hiked. But even if I won the lottery and had the opportunity, I'd rather section hike. If you're in a job that has summers off, that's a good place to be for that.

Cookerhiker
11-05-2010, 15:02
I think your schedule appears more conducive to 3-4 years rather than 2 (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that). I say that because if you're a teacher, your summer break probably isn't more than 2 months and as you've acknowledged yourself, some break-in time is necessary to get your trail legs.

For me, the biggest advantage of section hiking is choosing your season. In this regard, you're at a disadvantage because IMO July is frankly a lousy time to hike the AT except for the high elevations of the Whites and Maine. Aside from these places, the rest of the Trail is hot, humid, buggy, and often devoid of water sources depending on the year. Perhaps that's not an issue for you - it certainly isn't for many other hikers. But I note you're from a cool-weather state so be prepared mentally if not physically. It's too bad that your schedule as well as your distance from the Trail doesn't permit you to hike in Spring or Fall.

Hiking in summer over 2-4 years means some years you'll be among the throng of thrus and other years you'll be on a less-crowded trail.

Jonnycat
11-05-2010, 15:03
[QUOTE=FlyPaper;1065923]One big advantage is the ability to avoid the crowd.[QUOTE]

Amen to that!

halftime
11-05-2010, 15:43
Great idea. Would start at Harpers Ferry and hike north to Katahdin then south to Springer...or vise versa. Go as far as you can each year until you finish.

jesse
11-05-2010, 16:27
I'd focus on starting, not finishing.

BrianLe
11-05-2010, 16:46
"What else is there?"

I don't think your chance of injury goes down, FWIW, but I do think that doing a long trail in two or three big gulps rather than swallowing one whole has a big advantage in that some people just get quite tired (mentally, emotionally) of walking all day every day for month after month. I think something like 2 or 2+ month trips are perhaps more sane.

For most trails, to include the AT a little (not much) weather conditions make a true thru-hike a real push --- for the PCT and CDT you have to either walk in snow on the early side or push hard to avoid too much snow on the late side of the trip. Or both.

It is indeed nice to go long enough that you push through the "warming back up to this" period, get your trail legs, lose some body fat, just in general toughen up to the trail, and THEN have enough time after that to really reap the benefits of being in great shape. But certainly also nice to not feel at the end like you're just gritting your teeth and hanging in there so you can say you did a complete thru-hike. This latter hasn't yet happened to me, for whatever reason, but I know that it does get to folks.

Yet another reason is that it's quite common for folks to have to get off trail for a while. Sometimes forced off by injury or illness, sometimes social or economic reasons --- very common seems to be attend a wedding that "cannot be missed". If you're not trying to completely thru-hike in one go anyway, I think this sort of thing adds a bit less pressure over all.

Lemons from lemonade indeed --- good on you!

Kerosene
11-05-2010, 17:42
I agree with BrianLe, hiking an extended (3-mo) section doesn't decrease your chance of injury by much, in that most people seem to succumb in the first 4-6 weeks.

Also, trying to complete over two summers means that you will run into the crowds for one of those summers. Splitting your 2000-miler across 3-4 years would allow you to minimize such an overlap.

Almost all of my 16+ section hikes have been in the pre-Memorial Day or post-Labor Day, which is a much nicer time to be out there.

At this point, I wouldn't try to overplan; just get out there and start hiking!

Pedaling Fool
11-05-2010, 18:02
Doing the trail in two sections isn't that much different than a thru. Three months is still a long time on the trail.
I agree, this is basically a thru in many respects. Your chances for injury are about the same since most injuries happen in the beginning. To the plus you probably won't feel that burned out feeling many thrus feel at the end. The operative word being "probably". Three months of walking day-after-day is a long time.

Boo-shay
11-05-2010, 18:14
"Only 3 months" go hike for 3 months and then say only ,lol.

Odd Man Out
11-05-2010, 18:53
I too am on an academic schedule. Could potentially be available to hike from May 1 through mid August, our until I've had enough. I guess that would make me a "through hiker" instead of a "thru hiker"! I also had the idea of starting in HF and going either North or South. In fact I even entertained the idea of showing up at the ATC HQ and flipping a coin. Heads north, Tails south.

tzbrown
11-05-2010, 19:08
Well here is another vote for section hiking.

My wife and myself started on the AT about 10 years ago and only had about 3 weeks per year to hike.

In 9 years we went from Springer to Daleville. about 800 miles
This year we had 30 days and went another 400 miles, Daleville to Duncannon.

The best part about doing short sections is that the enthusiasm is always high. And you meet many hikers and make many new friends.

The worst part is trying to make your mileage per day goals and stay on schedule. Stress planning for each hike can be high.

This year with more time, we enjoyed hiking more, met fewer new friends, but got to spend more time with the ones we did meet.

We may finish the remaining miles in 2011, or stretch it to 2012. It just depends on where we are when we decide we would rather be canoeing or somewhere else.

HYOH

TZ

Blissful
11-05-2010, 20:06

What else is there?

Chances of injury increase with a section hike (though with a three month plan as you have it, it would be better). Overuse injury occurs usually in the first six weeks. And no matter what, you can sprain an ankle or fall any time on your hike. So injury is always a possibility.

If you do your sections in the summer, the south will be hot and humid (but the north can be as well). Water sources are big issues. Biting flies, deerflies, mosquitoes, ticks, etc are factors as well as other animals like the bears and poison ivy. You will be hot, sticky, sweaty smelly. You will miss great views in the south (but of course there are still good views in the summer). It will be a green tunnel hike. You will have groups galore at shelters and tent sites many times. Things to consider when just summer hiking the AT.

excuses
11-05-2010, 21:08
I too section hike and am an educator. I wouldn't say 3 months, 2 more like it. Three years wouldn't rush you and you could break the trail into manageable sections. That way those late July early August waterless routes wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Red Hat
11-05-2010, 21:29
One big advantage of sectioning is that you are less likely to get bored with hiking and will always love the trail instead of growing tired of it. As much as I love the AT, I did get tired of it after four or five months and just wanted to be done.

tiptoe
11-05-2010, 21:30
I've enjoyed my time section hiking. Doing the trail in chunks allows me to stay employed, manage a big garden, and have a pet, among other things. As others have said, you can pick your season and take time to smell the flowers and see the sights.

4shot
11-06-2010, 11:26
I have never sectioned hike but I think in retrospect it would be a great way to do the trail. A section hike would (it seems) allow one to let go of the timetable aspect of ''wanting to finish by X date" or "need to do this many miles each day" and just go out and enjoy each day as it comes. Takes the (admittedly self-inflicted) pressure off so to speak and permits one to enjoy the trail for the vary reason we are attracted to it in the first place. I do not regret doing a thru-hike but I didn't get to just "hang out in the woods" as much as I would have liked.

Alpine Jack
11-06-2010, 13:43
This is very encouraging to me, since I have a young family and a great career. I've always accepted that I have to wait until my 50's to start my thru-hike, but now, I can start immediately. One more benefit... you won't have to finance an entire thru-hike in one season!!!!
However, would I regret not doing it in one try? Your thoughts?

4shot
11-06-2010, 14:12
However, would I regret not doing it in one try? Your thoughts?

if you can section hike now given your circumstances, do it. You can always do a thru-hike later if you still choose to do so. Might be helpful to have prior knowledge of the trail/towns/resupply. It was always helpful to get "insider" info from somebody who had hiked a particular stretch of trail.(Just don't be the guy in the shelter who talks about how brutal the next day's hike will be or how much tougher a particular section of the trail was back when you hiked it in 2011 or whenever!;))

The only avenue of regret is never attempting a thru-hike IF that is something that you want to do. (or possibly having to leave the trail due to injury,illness, or other circumstances beyond one's control.)

Pedaling Fool
11-06-2010, 14:25
As I read some of these posts it seems as if some are saying don't hike the trail so fast (As if to say, "Your hiking days are over once you complete the AT").

My preference is to do as much as you can, I kind of like the Baptism by Fire method, and once you've built your body to deal with the hardships of hiking (with weight) then the real enjoyment comes.

Furthermore, if you can't do it until retirement, the more you work at it now will only make it easier later in life. Hiking ain't all about enjoying the outdoors, for that there's camping, hiking requires a strong body. Best to build it up now, easier to build the foundation.

Driver8
11-06-2010, 19:12
I have never sectioned hike but I think in retrospect it would be a great way to do the trail. A section hike would (it seems) allow one to let go of the timetable aspect of ''wanting to finish by X date" or "need to do this many miles each day" and just go out and enjoy each day as it comes. Takes the (admittedly self-inflicted) pressure off so to speak and permits one to enjoy the trail for the vary reason we are attracted to it in the first place. I do not regret doing a thru-hike but I didn't get to just "hang out in the woods" as much as I would have liked.

This is why I see myself hiking desired stretches at my own pace. Feel no need to complete the whole AT, in any event, just stretches I want to, intermingled with PCT stretches, CDT, etc., plus other nice places.

4eyedbuzzard
11-06-2010, 22:58
I don't know if doing the entire AT in two or three years is really what comes to most people's minds when they think of sectioning. That would be more like two or three really long hikes.

Sectioning a week or two at a time is much different. You won't do the miles per day a thru-hiker does, but as one person noted it will always be fresh with the enthusiasm that accompanies going on a hike. You'll also experience the trail differently. You'll hike a lot more side trails and approaches, and see a lot more of the country and local culture than a thru-hiker ever sees, as you'll be travelling to and through a lot of different areas. You'll also be able to take interesting side trips if desired. Shuttling a vehicle becomes a logistical problem at times, but usually can be overcome without too much problem by pre-arranging rides, hitching, etc. You can tailor your gear better for the conditions in the area and weather you'll likely have, and can generally pack better food and such as miles per day will not be as big an issue (you don't have to make Katahdin by Oct. if you're sectioning). It is a much more expensive undertaking though, when you consider the time and money spent getting to and from the trail. Then again, if sectioning is the only way you can or want to do it, that shouldn't be a big issue - just a vacation expense, and hiking isn't expensive as vacations go.

BrianLe
11-07-2010, 02:19
As 4shot said, you can always do an all-at-once thru-hike later if you want to, when life permits. If you do so, however, I'd suggest that you instead reflect on the fact that you've already walked the entire AT, even if "just" in 2 - 3 big pieces. So go on and do the PCT next if you still want to thru-hike. Or maybe also do the PCT in perhaps three sections (SoCal, NorCal, OR/WA perhaps). Lots and lots of possibilities once you're good and hooked!

earlyriser26
11-07-2010, 10:55
I agree with BrianLe, hiking an extended (3-mo) section doesn't decrease your chance of injury by much, in that most people seem to succumb in the first 4-6 weeks.

Also, trying to complete over two summers means that you will run into the crowds for one of those summers. Splitting your 2000-miler across 3-4 years would allow you to minimize such an overlap.

Almost all of my 16+ section hikes have been in the pre-Memorial Day or post-Labor Day, which is a much nicer time to be out there.

At this point, I wouldn't try to overplan; just get out there and start hiking!
The best thing about section hikes is the choice of time and direction. This applies even more to shorter hikes. It has been many years since I hiked in June, July, or August. 90% of my hikes are now in April, May, and October.

tuswm
11-08-2010, 18:59
I know if you want to hike the AT you will hike the AT.
I was in a similar situation. I have about 3 months every winter but I did something a little bit different. You may or may not like this idea.
What I did was pack skis, mountain bike, clothes, food, and my backpacking gear in my car along with a map of all the national parks. I was able to fit everything in a Subaru immpreza. I mostly backpacked. I only ended up buying 1 hotel room each winter. I usually spent between 3 days and a week per park. Within 2 winters I backed in Yellowstone, glacier, Yosemite, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, canyon lands, sequoia, kings’ canyon, Death Valley, and many other parks and forests.
Some advantages are…………
A car is a big bounce box
New scenery whenever you want.
You have a relative of a friend of a friend in every city in the country.
Buying food and fuel in bulk saves money
REI is every where
You have a car.
You can take gear for different situations.
Ac to dc adaptor + surge protector = never having to buy batteries, having a laptop, and whatever else you need.
You do meet other people doing the same thing. You will see them in park after park.
Car days are like zeroes with scenery.
You can buy souvenirs.
You don’t have to worry about having too much gear or mailing anything home.
Picking up hitchhikers is fun.
Just think of all the things in the national parks you could see in one summer instead of the same forest all down the east coast.

1azarus
11-08-2010, 19:21
here you are posting about hiking options -- a sure sign you enjoy the planning process (Sometimes I think I enjoy the planning as much as the hiking!). one of the real pleasures of section hiking is that you are always anticipating -- and planning-- for the next hike. you write of injuries -- well, the thought of the hike-to-come will nudge you into staying healthier. you may, in fact, find that you just can't wait 12 months between hikes, and you find that your academic schedule allows you to hike in the South in the winter -- intense, but very doable. You will also have a chance to gracefully revise your gear from hike to hike. That academic schedule? You are lucky beyond words to have so much time off, year after year. Enjoy!!!

peakbagger
11-09-2010, 08:45
An issue to consider when hiking down south during the summer is water sources. Most of the reporting of the adequacy of water sources is based on the typical thruhiker schedule. As you are going to be two or three months later than a typical hike, you need to plan your water a bit more. Its not a show stopper, but when you see references to an upcoming campsite having a marginal water source, you may want to considerin advance heading to a location with more reliable water.

sbhikes
11-09-2010, 11:18
I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail in two long sections.

Advantages:
- I started at the same time as most people and became a member of the trail community. Nobody would believe me when I insisted I wasn't going all the way to Canada. They considered me a thru-hiker no matter what I would say.

- I was on the trail for just under 3 months my first go around. That is a very very long time. I was totally immersed in trail life. I had the same sort of readjustment to regular life when I came back.

- I went home when I was tired of the experience. I didn't grit my teeth through another thousand miles.

- On my second journey, I would tell people way up in Oregon that no, I wasn't a thru-hiker. I'd tell them I started in Santa Barbara, not Mexico, and they would for some reason be more impressed and think I was more a thru-hiker than other thru-hikers. Nobody would let me be a section hiker.

- I got to do 2 long hikes 2 years in a row. Not just one long hike.

- On my second time around, I still had my trail legs, believe it or not. I went out immediately with 20 mile days. And this wasn't even on the PCT yet. It took me 100 miles of insane bushwhacking through the Dick Smith, Matillija and Sespe Wilderness just to get to the PCT where the walking was easy as pie.

- In between my two hikes I had a chance to really hone down my gear, make some homemade gear and really get my pack weight down.

- In between my two hikes I didn't have a regular job, just a seasonal one and a volunteer one. This was quite a happy experience for me. Very relaxing not to have that work pressure. A lot of daydreaming time, time to turn my journal into a book, etc.

- The entire journey is a single journey in my mind. It's all in order in my memories.

Disadvantages:
- I had to readjust to civilization twice. Readjusting the first time was the most difficult because of the nagging drive that I wanted to go back to the trail. (I hadn't originally planned to.)

- My second hike was exactly 3 months. It seemed longer than that. I did grit my teeth toward the end. Mostly because I went through Oregon at a bad time of year.

- I was not within the herd during my second hike. The experience was sort of lonely but also sort of nice because I made friends with other long-distance section hikers. This is a really fun bunch of people. They seemed more humble, more grateful for the experience.

In short, I found nothing about doing two large sections to be inferior to one single thru-hike. I think it was better this way.