PDA

View Full Version : Ever been caught rockin' it out alone to tunes on a day hike?

GracefulRoll
11-05-2010, 17:25
Normally, I let the sounds of nature fill my ears on the trail. The sounds are lovely. There is that and also it's easier to hear if people are coming up behind you.

However, it was early morning on a Tuesday when I was hiking up on the AT and I figured I could use some tunes, as it was pretty deserted. Luckily, I had some pretty awesome tunes on the good old smart phone. I didn't want to use headphones.

I was totally caught by a local couple and their dog while downhill dancing. I was side stepping, singing, even spinning around, shaking my ass, belting it out, closing my eyes as I hit a high note here and there. Think Risky Business but more clothes.

The song? "Cry to Me" by the late, great Mr. Solomon Burke.

Hilarious.

Ranc0r
11-05-2010, 19:12
Totally busted.

Once-upon-a, I was traipsing UP hill to a great old 70's album, pausing to drift off-trail and add in air-effects, when an older (than me at the time, maybe late 30's?) couple and their dog came round the bend downhill with eyes a yard wide and snickering all the while. They told me how long the uphill was (their downhill run) and expecting to wipe the embarrassed grin from my face, but I was totally in my element with my cassette Walkman taped to the top bar on my old Jansport external frame pack and 3 sides of a double album yet to go.

I hike with much more dignity and statuesque grace now. :cool:

HYOH, and bring tunes.

Ranc0r

johnnyblisters
11-05-2010, 19:21
I was just talking to my significant other about this today, ironic!

On the Long Trail, just south of Middlebury Gap there are a few xc ski bridges over some small streams. It was really wet out and I was dancing to some oldies hiking downhill. I started to do the "moonwalk" over this one slimy bridge, ended up slipping, laughing, and turning around to see a father and son laughing their heads off as well. "What in the world are you doing?!?!?!"

Pedaling Fool
11-05-2010, 19:28
I seem to get caught a lot while taking a piss and it's always by a female at which time I do a little jig, no music necessary.

Luddite
11-05-2010, 19:33
I seem to get caught a lot while taking a piss and it's always by a female at which time I do a little jig, no music necessary.

Same here. I won't see anyone all day and as soon as I decide to take a piss here comes some chick.

johnnybgood
11-05-2010, 20:07
I have been on the other side of this scenario once while hiking sobo to Punchbowl last year , while approaching the shelter from the rear, I heard a guy singing to the top of his lungs to some song I didn't recognize.

As I walked in front of the shelter I kinda nodded approvingly while keeping a straight face...that is until getting about 100 ft down the trail - I couldn't control the laughter any longer. :D

GracefulRoll
11-05-2010, 20:12
They told me how long the uphill was (their downhill run) and expecting to wipe the embarrassed grin from my face, but I was totally in my element with my cassette Walkman taped to the top bar on my old Jansport external frame pack and 3 sides of a double album yet to go.

Oh, I was busted, but I owned it. I kept my poker face, wished them a good day, gave the dog a pat, and kept on my way back to the car. lol If anything, I laughed more.

HYOH, yes.

GracefulRoll
11-05-2010, 20:17
I have been on the other side of this scenario once while hiking sobo to Punchbowl last year , while approaching the shelter from the rear, I heard a guy singing to the top of his lungs to some song I didn't recognize.

As I walked in front of the shelter I kinda nodded approvingly while keeping a straight face...that is until getting about 100 ft down the trail - I couldn't control the laughter any longer. :D

I can only hope I made their day.

darkage
11-05-2010, 20:50
I normally don't take my mp3 battery operated player with on day hikes ... BUT, when i'm out for a week or more i have been busted a few times .... i rock out and sing along my way alot and i've expected to be heard .... good thing my voice isn't that bad. =P

mweinstone
11-05-2010, 22:21
was singing loudly a corny ass song while on a rock breaking, got up to hike and two dudes were on the other side of the tree listening. they thaught it was a radio and had no idea i was so close. very very embarassing. great thread.

Carbo
11-05-2010, 22:31
I just sing in my mind. Doesn't scare the bears or any other wildlife. If I really let one loose, I'd probably do a good job in scaring other hikers. Especially when I sing the songs from the 60's.

GracefulRoll
11-05-2010, 22:38
I'd love to carry a giant fake foam microphone to hand to people I bust doing it. Or, you know, be caught using it myself.

Must make room in the pack.

Tinker
11-05-2010, 23:20
I've probably sent more than one hiker fleeing in terror :D. I've never been caught in the act, to my knowledge.

Different Socks
11-06-2010, 01:30
I still belt out tunes all the time. Just a few years ago while hiking on a trail in Glacier, I was belting out a Mac Davis song called, "Why Don't We All Just Get Stoned?". I came around a huge trailside boulder and ran right into this female hiker with a look of disdain on her face.
I apologized for the singing, saying something about scaring away the grizzilies, when she pointed at somethng behind me. I turn around and lo and behold there is a mama mtn goat and her two youngin's resting on top of that big boulder. All my singing didn't scare them away, but the lady wasn't happy.

Different Socks
11-06-2010, 01:31
BTW, I don't care who hears me or how bad i am singing.

TOW
11-06-2010, 07:51
i caught lone wolf rocking out several times on our recent hike..........

Trailbender
11-06-2010, 08:12
I do sometimes, but I generally listen to Norwegian black metal.

GracefulRoll
11-06-2010, 09:05
I still belt out tunes all the time. Just a few years ago while hiking on a trail in Glacier, I was belting out a Mac Davis song called, "Why Don't We All Just Get Stoned?". I came around a huge trailside boulder and ran right into this female hiker with a look of disdain on her face.
I apologized for the singing, saying something about scaring away the grizzilies, when she pointed at somethng behind me. I turn around and lo and behold there is a mama mtn goat and her two youngin's resting on top of that big boulder. All my singing didn't scare them away, but the lady wasn't happy.

I would have asked, "What? You don't like my outfit?"

Mizirlou
11-06-2010, 11:49
was singing loudly a corny ass song while on a rock breaking, got up to hike and two dudes were on the other side of the tree listening. they thaught it was a radio and had no idea i was so close. very very embarassing. great thread.

Was your singing inspired by the man-kiss you gave LW? ;) Name that tune…

mad4scrapping
11-06-2010, 12:02
I listen to obsure Elton John songs and sing along with them all the time. It puts me in the element and elevates my mood. So, since I'm 50 years old, I don't care who hears me or what they think!

darkage
11-06-2010, 13:49
I do sometimes, but I generally listen to Norwegian black metal.

Dimmu Borgir!

Rick500
11-06-2010, 15:42
I listen to obsure Elton John songs and sing along with them all the time. It puts me in the element and elevates my mood. So, since I'm 50 years old, I don't care who hears me or what they think!

Heh...glad it's not only me.

GracefulRoll
11-06-2010, 16:27
Was your singing inspired by the man-kiss you gave LW? ;) Name that tune…

Hrrmmm? Go on...