PDA

View Full Version : Microspikes vs. Yaktrax XTR

FWB
11-06-2010, 17:32
I was ready to get a pair of Microspikes until I ran across the XTRs at EMS today. Does anyone have experience with the XTRs? How do they compare to Microspikes?
My first impressions just from a side-by-side comparison:
- similar binding system
- similar traction system
- XTR $10 cheaper
- XTR come with a storage bag
Thanks!

Ironbelly
11-06-2010, 20:17
Kahtoola microspikes are $$.

There are microspikes, and then there are the rest. The extra 10$ is worth it.

msujay
11-06-2010, 21:39
I have used Yaktrax twice. The first time I used the cheapest ones and the second time I used the XTR's. Both times, they last about 2 days before the metal and rubber started to seperate. To their defense, they still stayed on my feet and made it through both 3-day trips, but next time I hike the AT in the winter, I plan to invest in the microspikes. By the way, the conditions were 75% snow/ice cover, 25% uncovered "typical" AT pathway, so the rocks took their toll. They would have last MUCH longer had I only been hiking on snow and ice.

Elder
11-06-2010, 22:06
Look at www.icetrekkers.com (http://www.icetrekkers.com) for ths Diamond Grips Icetrekkers.
They really are snowchains for your feet. They also walk/run comfortably on all terrain, ice, snow, rock and dirt. :D

And Yes, I am the rep in the South. :eek:

LIhikers
11-06-2010, 23:00
For trails that are covered in ice or packed snow I like Stabilicers.
Not the sport version, they're practically useless, but the ones that attach with the velcro straps.

leaftye
11-06-2010, 23:21
It really depends on your needs, although Yaktrax doesn't have the best reputation.

It does look like the Yaktrax XTR and Kahtoola Microspikes are comparable. Stabilicers with the full sole and screws are good for flat icy surfaces. Microspikes are a good all around snow/ice trail walking shoe. I like the Kahtoola aluminum crampons when there's plenty of icy snow and no rocks. I would also like to try out the Hillsound Trail Crampons as they appear to be comparable to the Microspikes but with slightly longer spikes.

Chop
11-06-2010, 23:38
Haven't used the newer XTR version of the Yaktracks...but have used the microspikes a bit up here in the Whites. Really, really like the microspikes...They are tough.

Tinker
11-06-2010, 23:57
Look at www.icetrekkers.com (http://www.icetrekkers.com) for ths Diamond Grips Icetrekkers.
They really are snowchains for your feet. They also walk/run comfortably on all terrain, ice, snow, rock and dirt. :D

And Yes, I am the rep in the South. :eek:
The diamond grip model looks like it would have some bite ($39.95). The spikes look to be practical for flat, icy surfaces, and the chains - they look like Stabilicers, which are good ice skates on icy surfaces that aren't dead flat.
I still prefere good ol' fashioned crampons (10 point for hiking). Heavier but bulletproof.

Elder
11-07-2010, 00:32
Hi Tinker. Icetrekkers do not "skate " even on flat clean ice as the diamond grips roll..much like snow chains. The biggest difference I find is that while crampons are needed for steep ice, microspikes are secure on pure ice, the points are awkward and put a lot of torgue on feet, knees and ankles, especially on mixed terrian when just walking.
Icetrekkers are not designed for vertical, but for walking, they are very comfortable and secure. They are also very durable. Much more than the creepers designed for urban use.

Elder
11-07-2010, 00:34
Oh, We are talking about the Diamond Grips, the Chains and even the Spikes are more urban or pure snow use, not backcountry hiking.

Roland
11-07-2010, 06:01
I was ready to get a pair of Microspikes until I ran across the XTRs at EMS today. Does anyone have experience with the XTRs? How do they compare to Microspikes?
My first impressions just from a side-by-side comparison:
- similar binding system
- similar traction system
- XTR $10 cheaper
- XTR come with a storage bag
Thanks!

I've not seen the XTRs, but from studying photos, I agree with your assessment; they look very similar to Microspikes--better, perhaps, in some respects.

As long as other traction devices have been mentioned, let me give you a summary of my experience.

I put more than 500 miles on my Microspikes. I prefer them to Stabilicers, which I used for years prior, although both are good products, each with their strengths and weaknesses. The Stabilicers are heavier, but are very resistant to balling. Stabilicers may lose screws, if you are prone to dragging your feet. Screws are easily replaced though, and if you inject SuperGlue in the hole, they will hold securely.

Microspikes are light weight and durable. They attach easily and securely. I've had two problems with Microspikes. The chain links which attach to the mini-crampons, eventually stretch open. This was resolved by TIG welding the links closed. I've not heard of anyone else who experienced this problem. To be fair, I should say the Microspikes were worn while running. Pushing-off with each step eventually stretched the chain links.

The second problem I had with Microspikes was balling. In certain conditions, snow will build-up under them, until my boots look like Herman Munster shoes. The balling snow will build to 4-6 inches thick and result in a lot of extra weight. Then, when the snow can no longer support my weight, the elevator shoe crumbles and the process repeats itself. Snow and temperature must be perfect for this to happen, but when it does, I cannot walk with the Microspikes.

Yaktrax incorporated anti-balling plates in the design of the XTRs and may have found a way to prevent this problem. Give them a try and let us know how they function.

Raul Perez
11-07-2010, 10:46
I walked on pure ice on the trail in January with the microspikes. Lasted a 10 mile round trip and took a beating. Still in really great condition. I support the microspikes.

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcxoF99zNtA

2:20 into the video you see the microspikes in action.

peakbagger
11-08-2010, 08:39
I have run into a couple of people who have bought Hillsounds http://hillsound.com/02product/trampon.php in place of microspikes. They are harder to find but priced about the same as microspikes.

There is a alos a "lookalike" microspike that is getting less than good reviews, thaey are cheap but a lot less durable.

StormBird
11-08-2010, 19:15
Looks like Yaktrax just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and take back some of the business they were loosing to microspikes.

I've only used Microspikes and have loved them. I suggest investing the extra $10

mudhead
11-08-2010, 19:24
The second problem I had with Microspikes was balling. In certain conditions, snow will build-up under them, until my boots look like Herman Munster shoes. The balling snow will build to 4-6 inches thick and result in a lot of extra weight. Then, when the snow can no longer support my weight, the elevator shoe crumbles and the process repeats itself. Snow and temperature must be perfect for this to happen, but when it does, I cannot walk with the Microspikes.

When it is this sticky snow condition, could you get by with just boot? I get wet/sticky snow here at times that has alot of grip. Sometimes there is ice under and it does take several days for it all to clot up.

Yaktrax incorporated anti-balling plates in the design of the XTRs and may have found a way to prevent this problem. Give them a try and let us know how they function.

And if you have a buddy with microspikes, try a swap comparison test.

FWB
11-09-2010, 01:11
Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I guess the jury is still out as the XTRs are fairly new and haven't been out for a full winter yet.
I'll probably follow StormBird and shell out the extra 10 bucks for a proven design.
FB