PDA

View Full Version : SNP Day Hike "Must Do's"

jerseydave
11-06-2010, 20:12
Hi all, I'm new here and am going to pester you all with a "nube" question, so please forgive me.

I'm going to be visiting the SNP area in ealy February (2011) for a week.
We'll be staying just outside of Elkton.

I'm new to "actual" hiking, but am in good shape, exercise regularly, work & play outdoors, and have spent many hours in the mountains of Va in the past.

I'm hoping to be able to steal 2 or 3 days for INDIVIDUAL DAY HIKES.

Would most likely be entering the park at the Swift Run Gap entrance.

Since I only have a couple day hikes in mind, I'd like to make them enjoyable.

Looking for loops or out and backs, moderate to strenuous, 6 to 10 miles (maybe a little more if daylight allows).

Want some scenic adventures............

What are your favorites that might fit the bill.

Thanks in advance.

ps: yes, I know that the weather might be the deciding factor as to if this is even possible due to snow and such.

Helios
11-06-2010, 21:21
There are a few awesome hikes listed near the bottom of this page: http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_8872.asp

Also note the guide book cited. Definatley worth picking up. http://www.patc.us/store/PC100.htm

Blissful
11-06-2010, 22:59
There's a great circuit hike near there that starts at South River Falls picnic area, goes to the base of the falls, on to the Pocosin Cabin and the ruins of the mission (and also by an old cemetery) and returns via the AT to the parking lot. About nine miles total. Refer to the central SNP map for the route.

Furlough
11-07-2010, 11:58
Big Devils Stairs round trip from off the AT at Gravel Spings Hut has canyon views, and falls. Not sure how the water is running this time of year.

From Rock Spring Hut you can hike North on the AT to the Salamander Trail to Bird's Nest #2 and then on up to Hawksbill Summit, you can eitehr go back the way you came to the AT, or continue down Lower Hawksbill trail to intersect back with the AT. This time of year the views from the summit are great.

Attached link has many other recommended hikes in the SNP.
http://www.guidetosnp.com/web/RecommendedHikes.aspx

Furlough

johnnybgood
11-07-2010, 17:18
If you're looking for a scenic " moderately difficult " loop hike , then then one will fit the bill. Doyles River , Jones Run Trail - AT loop hike is 7.8 miles of waterfalls and stream fording mixed in with some steep climbs .
Personally , I think this hike is a perfect day hike to do in the spring when the waterfalls at Doyles River and Jones Run are flowing strong after recent rains and wildflowers are gracing the trail.

The trailhead is at milepost 81 on the right side of the Skyline Drive .
There will be abundant opportunities for water on this hike even in February.

Be cautious for slick spots on rocks at the falls and other areas where descending.

This hike is featured in numerous hiking guides related to Shenandoah Nat'l Park.

Ol Mole
11-07-2010, 18:38
[QUOTE=jerseydave;1066162]Hi all, I'm new here and am going to pester you all with a "nube" question, so please forgive me.

There is a good chance that the Drive will be closed at that time of the year. Look at the fire roads that go up the mountain from the west or east. These are almost always accessable as a starting point. Just south of ELkton is a fire road that goes up to Brown Mountain gap. It can make a good loop.

On the east side, going up the fire road (Rapidan River) to Camp Hoover is great in the snow.

Hope your hike is great.

nox
11-07-2010, 19:03
Check out hikingupward.com. It has a ton of hikes listed with pictures and trip details.

jerseydave
11-07-2010, 21:09
Wow, thanks for all the ideas.

I'm gonna have to do a little research but I'm sure there's something listed that will do nicely.

Thanks again,
Dave

Blissful
11-08-2010, 12:16
The drive will only be closed with snow/ice. I have driven it in Feb.

Hikerhead
11-08-2010, 13:35
The Wildcat and RipRap loop is a nice hike either as a dayhike or as an easy overnighter. Excellent water in the bottom and some nice rocky overlooks. This also includes about 4 miles of the AT. It's in the southern section.

jerseydave
11-09-2010, 06:56
I'd like to get a GOOD book or two about the SNP and trails in it.

If I could find a single book that gave detailed trail info, accurate maps, and general overall info about the Park itself I'd be interested.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks
Dave

dcmidnight
11-09-2010, 09:37
One thing to keep in mind, that no one seemed to mentioned, is acual snow. Feb could be a tough time to keep up with some of the backcountry trail markings. It might be a mild winter in which case no problem - or it could be like last winter where we had 3 separate storms of over 24" each. In that case I might imagine you'd need snowshoes and a really good map to reasonably hike on the AT or back trails.

jerseydave
11-09-2010, 20:14
One thing to keep in mind, that no one seemed to mentioned, is acual snow. Feb could be a tough time to keep up with some of the backcountry trail markings. It might be a mild winter in which case no problem - or it could be like last winter where we had 3 separate storms of over 24" each. In that case I might imagine you'd need snowshoes and a really good map to reasonably hike on the AT or back trails.

If that were the case I'd be back in the condo in front of a fire or on the ski slopes. I might venture out in an inch or two, but any more than that and I'll find a different activity.......... playstation anyone?

Cookerhiker
11-09-2010, 20:24
First of all, I trust you're aware that in February, no Park facilities are open at all - no Visitors Centers, no lodges, no eateries.

I've hiked from Swift Run Gap when Skyline Drive is closed from both directions. I've parked just past the entrance station (which is usually staffed) and hiked on the trail, including a 2 night overnight (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=125152).

The Park's priority for maintenance on Skyline Drive is the section from Thornton Gap to Big Meadows so if you're not sure, contact the Park at the time you're ready.

As others have said, becareful of snow & icy conditions. If you fall, no one is likely to come by so please make sure someone knows where you are. And have a great trip!

Cookerhiker
11-09-2010, 20:28
I'd like to get a GOOD book or two about the SNP and trails in it.

If I could find a single book that gave detailed trail info, accurate maps, and general overall info about the Park itself I'd be interested.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks
Dave

Your best best is publications of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. Re. SNP, their "Circuit Hikes" book is excellent as is their maps.

Unfortunately their website has been acting up lately and I wasn't able to provide a live link but you can search for them on Google or Yahoo.

jerseydave
11-09-2010, 20:29
Thanks for the concern, I'm always careful (famous last words) and will likely be hiking with a friend.

Just day hikes, less than an hour from a cozy condo..... no lodges or eateries needed.

If this becomes a reality I'll be sure to have a good trip and post up some pics as proof!

How about suggestions on those trail books for the park?........ anything?

jerseydave
11-09-2010, 20:31
Thanks for the concern, I'm always careful (famous last words) and will likely be hiking with a friend.

Just day hikes, less than an hour from a cozy condo..... no lodges or eateries needed.

If this becomes a reality I'll be sure to have a good trip and post up some pics as proof!

How about suggestions on those trail books for the park?........ anything?

Your best best is publications of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. Re. SNP, their "Circuit Hikes" book is excellent as is their maps.

Unfortunately their website has been acting up lately and I wasn't able to provide a live link but you can search for them on Google or Yahoo.

That was kinda creepy.......... I've seen the site and thought about getting their book.......

A customer review is always good verification.

Thanks

Cookerhiker
11-09-2010, 20:36
I hesitate to suggest this hike because you're on the "wrong" side of the mountain, but if you can cross Thornton Gap and get over to the east slope, a wonderful winter hiker is up the White Oak Canyon. I did this hike on a 14 degree January day and got some great pics of ice on the waterfalls. The ice formations were like stalactites! Had to be careful of a few slippery spots though.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2010, 20:42
Dave, your best bet is to give PATC a call and ask about the Circuit Hikes in Shenandoah National Park book.

Number: 703-242-0315

Hours: Monday & Thursday, 7 PM to 9 PM
Thursday & Friday, Noon to 2 PM

The limited hours are because they are a volunteer organization with a small staff. You can probably call the number any time and leave a voice message asking them to return your call.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2010, 20:44
Finally got it!

http://www.patc.us/store/PC100.htm

jerseydave
11-09-2010, 20:46
Dave, your best bet is to give PATC a call and ask about the Circuit Hikes in Shenandoah National Park book.

Number: 703-242-0315

Hours: Monday & Thursday, 7 PM to 9 PM
Thursday & Friday, Noon to 2 PM

The limited hours are because they are a volunteer organization with a small staff. You can probably call the number any time and leave a voice message asking them to return your call.

Thank you, all the ideas and assistance are greatly appreciated........ that goes for everyone.... sincere thanks, I always appreciate help I may get and hope to someday be able to return some.

johnnybgood
11-09-2010, 20:53
I'd recommend 75 Hikes in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park.It's a very well written book with great information on trails, lodging , and also highlighting trail attractions .

Picked this up at Big Meadows , but their website is www.mountaineersbooks.org (http://www.mountaineersbooks.org)

jerseydave
12-07-2010, 07:57
I'd recommend 75 Hikes in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park.It's a very well written book with great information on trails, lodging , and also highlighting trail attractions .

Picked this up at Big Meadows , but their website is www.mountaineersbooks.org (http://www.mountaineersbooks.org)

I some how missed this suggestion, thanks.

C Seeker
12-07-2010, 08:10
[QUOTE=jerseydave;1066162]Hi all, I'm new here and am going to pester you all with a "nube" question, so please forgive me.

There is a good chance that the Drive will be closed at that time of the year. Look at the fire roads that go up the mountain from the west or east. These are almost always accessable as a starting point. Just south of ELkton is a fire road that goes up to Brown Mountain gap. It can make a good loop.

On the east side, going up the fire road (Rapidan River) to Camp Hoover is great in the snow.

Hope your hike is great.

After years of living right next to the drive, I can say that close the drive when they get weather. In February we will have snow, if it's like all the other years. The best thing you can do is buy the SNP hike book/ books. There are trails that start on the outside of the park which you can hike.

jlb2012
12-07-2010, 08:12
if Skyline Drive is closed I very often will hike from Swift Run Gap south on the AT up to Hightop summit - very good view from the top - then down to Hightop Hut for lunch and to read the register - from there I usually take an unofficial trail back down to Swift Run Overlook but since it is an unmarked trail I would not recommend it solo unless you are good following old trails - this trail branches from the trail that leads to the spring at Hightop Hut and follows an old road that goes basically North - for a little longer hike I'll hike the AT down to Smith Roach Gap and then road walk back to the car