PDA

View Full Version : Used a filter and still got sick?

pgustaf249
11-06-2010, 23:37
I was wondering if anyone had ever used a filter and still got sick from the water.

Moose2001
11-06-2010, 23:39
The majority of people that get sick don't get it from the water. Most hikers get sick because of poor hygiene and sanitation habits.

4eyedbuzzard
11-07-2010, 00:21
And from other sick people and just plain old bad luck - like anywhere else.

Lyle
11-07-2010, 01:00
While I tend to believe the same as those who posted above, I'm not sure it's really cut and dried. I doubt any real studies have been done.

One other area that I "believe" probably contributes to sickness from water is those who do not handle and store their filters properly, and thus cross-contaminate. It is fairly difficult to actually do this properly. Most will say that they take proper care to avoid the cross-contamination, but this is not borne out by the observations I have made.

This is one of the reasons I choose to use Aqua Mira - it's easier to assure proper technique, besides it's much more compact and lighter.

gumball
11-07-2010, 06:39
While I tend to believe the same as those who posted above, I'm not sure it's really cut and dried. I doubt any real studies have been done.

One other area that I "believe" probably contributes to sickness from water is those who do not handle and store their filters properly, and thus cross-contaminate. It is fairly difficult to actually do this properly. Most will say that they take proper care to avoid the cross-contamination, but this is not borne out by the observations I have made.

This is one of the reasons I choose to use Aqua Mira - it's easier to assure proper technique, besides it's much more compact and lighter.

Most definitely. I got sick after drinking water that was filtered by a friend--after I realized it wasn't water we'd filter in our filter, I knew why I got sick. Their filter is stored without cleaning it and I believe more nasty things were in the filter than in the water itself.

I use a steripen and Aqua Mira if needed.

Spokes
11-07-2010, 06:54
The majority of people that get sick don't get it from the water. Most hikers get sick because of poor hygiene and sanitation habits.

That's so true....... Better to resist the urge to "reach in and grab" when the gorp bag gets passed around.

Trailbender
11-07-2010, 08:12
I used bleach on my water on my thru, and almost never washed my hands. I never got sick. I almost never wash my hands at home either, probably one of the reasons I have such a strong immune system. I think the last time I had the flu was 3 or 4 years ago.

Grinder
11-07-2010, 08:57
LYLE
There was a study done that I read a few years ago. I'm sorry, but I don't have the link.

The author polled a large number of thru-hikers about filtering and gastro-intestinal sickness and personal hygiene.

The results indicated that personal hygiene was the big common factor

The "always filter" and the "never filter" had no statistical difference in the frequency of illness.

Just saying.

Kerosene
11-07-2010, 09:32
One other area that I "believe" probably contributes to sickness from water is those who do not handle and store their filters properly, and thus cross-contaminate. It is fairly difficult to actually do this properly.This is the primary reason why I no longer filter. Secondary reasons are clogging and weight. Aqua Mira works fine for me, especially if I pair it with a basic pre-filter setup.

Pedaling Fool
11-07-2010, 10:12
There have been other articles about this, but here's one http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54146

And his follow up.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54146

I don't filter and I've drank water from some really questionable sources.

I've only been sick once, but not sure if it was the water, but don't care my immune system is much stronger now. I'm ready for the apocalypse:D

Don H
11-07-2010, 10:25
LYLE
There was a study done that I read a few years ago. I'm sorry, but I don't have the link.

The author polled a large number of thru-hikers about filtering and gastro-intestinal sickness and personal hygiene.

The results indicated that personal hygiene was the big common factor

The "always filter" and the "never filter" had no statistical difference in the frequency of illness.

Just saying.

You're probably thinking of Roland Mueser's book "Long - Distance Hiking, Lessons from the Appalachian Trail" written in 1998. He dedicates an entire chapter to water purification methods and water borne illnesses. He sites studies that show that 3 to 4 percent of the general population carry Giardia lamblia and considered sharing food and drink the main source of infection.

leaftye
11-07-2010, 14:58
That's so true....... Better to resist the urge to "reach in and grab" when the gorp bag gets passed around.

Yep, I don't even touch my own gorp with my bare hands.

garlic08
11-07-2010, 16:31
Excellent posts above regarding hygiene and sharing food. Since I stopped treating all my water (still carry AquaMira in cattle country), I'm hiking farther and healthier than ever. I believe I hydrate better (drink more and more often) when I don't throw chemicals in the water or when I don't have to work at pumping it. There's nothing like coming across a clean spring and drinking a liter on the fly with barely a stop. I tend to carry much less water, too, when I don't treat it, so my pack is lighter and there's less wear and tear on me and my gear.

By the way and this is anecdotal, the last five seasons I've hiked without treating water, the only times I've gotten sick is when I get back to town. I attribute it to door handles, backs of chairs and bus seats, shaking hands with old friends, coughing sick people, etc.

As far as carrying a filter, I heard good but gross advice once. If you believe the water is contaminated, you should treat is as hazardous material. Picture dirty toilet water. That way, you will not cross-contaminate your tubing, you'll wash your hands well after getting them wet, etc.

QiWiz
11-07-2010, 16:55
The "always filter" and the "never filter" had no statistical difference in the frequency of illness. Just saying.

I'm sure that hygiene is a huge factor, but . . . You don't get giardia from hygiene but from contaminated water. Personally know a number of people who got infected with Giardia on the AT, after drinking untreated water from "springs". No fun. It's so easy to bring Aqua Mira and use it - why not? If you are in a big hurry to drink water right now, treat water right now with a SteriPen and use Aqua Mira in camp or overnight.

rickb
11-07-2010, 17:41
You don't get giardia from hygiene but from contaminated water.

Here is a link from the CDC that identifies other vectors:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/giardiasis/factsht_giardia.htm#transmission

Luddite
11-07-2010, 18:12
Their filter is stored without cleaning it and I believe more nasty things were in the filter than in the water itself.

But wouldn't the nasty things in the filter get filtered...?

Skidsteer
11-07-2010, 19:30
But wouldn't the nasty things in the filter get filtered...?

It's a matter of cross-contamination. Something as seemingly innocent as storing your grey water hose in the same bag with with your clean-water hose.

Personally, I think it doesn't make enough difference to bother but to each his own.

Tilly
11-07-2010, 21:00

My hiking partner got giardia from a contaminated stream. I treated, he didn't. He became horribly ill, I didn't.

We still selectively treat and have never been sick otherwise.

Egads
11-07-2010, 21:07
Filters suck. Way too easy to contaminate. Too bulky. I treat with Aquamira

leaftye
11-07-2010, 21:13
It's a matter of cross-contamination. Something as seemingly innocent as storing your grey water hose in the same bag with with your clean-water hose.

Personally, I think it doesn't make enough difference to bother but to each his own.

That's definitely a possibility. I try to shake out my filter and then I store it, the clean hose and water bag adapter in a ziplock. It's still possible to get some contamination, but filters and chemicals are about mitigating risk, not eliminating it entirely. By using a filter and storing it carefully, adding bleach and using good hygiene practices I believe my risk is fairly low.

Skidsteer
11-07-2010, 21:19
That's definitely a possibility. I try to shake out my filter and then I store it, the clean hose and water bag adapter in a ziplock. It's still possible to get some contamination, but filters and chemicals are about mitigating risk, not eliminating it entirely. By using a filter and storing it carefully, adding bleach and using good hygiene practices I believe my risk is fairly low.

I believe my risk is so low I don't carry a filter.

pgustaf249
11-07-2010, 23:02
I'm sure that hygiene is a huge factor, but . . . You don't get giardia from hygiene but from contaminated water. Personally know a number of people who got infected with Giardia on the AT, after drinking untreated water from "springs". No fun. It's so easy to bring Aqua Mira and use it - why not? If you are in a big hurry to drink water right now, treat water right now with a SteriPen and use Aqua Mira in camp or overnight.

With respect to the SteriPen, what volume of water is it capable of treating? How long does it take to treat it. Is it just a matter of swishing it around in the water?

4eyedbuzzard
11-07-2010, 23:14
With respect to the SteriPen, what volume of water is it capable of treating? How long does it take to treat it. Is it just a matter of swishing it around in the water?
Either 1/2 liter or 1 liter at a time. 48 and 90 seconds respectively. You just hold it in the water and stir slowly. Wide mouth bottles (at least gatorade width) are required. Specs on bulb and battery life and FAQ's etc are on their website http://www.steripen.com/

Ironbelly
11-11-2010, 19:20
For whatever reason alot of people don't realize that most bacteria etc that one can pick up from water have a 2 week incubation period +/- a few days. That means it is almost impossible for you to get sick within a few hours or even a day after you drink infected water. Unless you are injesting infected water constantly for days then your getting sick was probally due to something else.

Most people that get sick from infected water end up blaming it on something like food poisoning etc when they get back into town, and a week and a half later start having the beaver fever.

randyg45
11-12-2010, 17:46
I have never filtered OR treated and only have gotten sick once. One of my daughters was on that trip with me, drinking from the same containers, and she didn't get sick. I doubt it was the water.
Everyone should have had to buy food at a Vietnamese fish market and a French meat market in the mid-70s. Both were huge shocks to prissy Americans...
Mexicans drink their water....
It's all a matter of either living in a bubble or exercising your immune system...

SouthMark
11-12-2010, 18:30
I believe my risk is so low I don't carry a filter.

What he said.

mweinstone
11-12-2010, 18:58
dont need filters. got my own. called a liver. aint benn pussyfootin around washin stuff off and bein scared all my life. gotr more important things to do like boost my imune system and tecniques to accomodate needs.filters. ha! the industry of manufacturing filters pollutes the waters but only not buying them and drinking the water can save us.their isnnt enough raw materials to make one for all the humans. so only the rich get them. i die with the poor and die well. you do as death suits you. filter water! ha!

misfit88
02-03-2011, 17:03
which Aqua Mira product do you all use? i am new to this. thanks

DrRichardCranium
02-03-2011, 17:42
I have never filtered OR treated and only have gotten sick once. One of my daughters was on that trip with me, drinking from the same containers, and she didn't get sick. I doubt it was the water.
Everyone should have had to buy food at a Vietnamese fish market and a French meat market in the mid-70s. Both were huge shocks to prissy Americans...
Mexicans drink their water....
It's all a matter of either living in a bubble or exercising your immune system...

Not necessarily a good idea, because many places that have lower hygiene standards also have much higher rates of stomach cancer than Americans do.

10-K
02-03-2011, 19:38
I didn't read the entire thread so this has probably already been said but it's pretty interesting to watch people filter water.

I don't filter, use drops or nuke my water - I'm selective about my sources and just fill up my water bottles straight from the source.