PDA

View Full Version : Chafing Fuel Cans?

thelowend
11-07-2010, 02:57
So I was working an event today (wedding), helping serve food.. and I realized that the little chafing fuel cans that lit the bottom of the warm serve trays would be perfect for a stove.. I assume its something akin to esbit inside of them and they would be super easy to deal with (no measuring alcohol, separate bottle for fuel, etc) but I'm just not sure how fast they would heat and what kinda gunk they'd leave on the bottom of the pots (i'd want to buy a separate pot to dedicate to said fuel type).. Does anybody have experience with this method? It's probably a tad heavier than an alcohol stove and whatnot.. but it just seems so easy. :-?

thelowend
11-07-2010, 02:59
Something like this (I just found the "green" version so that's even more desirable =)
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/candle-lamp-green-heat-2-hour-chafer-fuel-3-pack/999PH0011.html

Roland
11-07-2010, 04:54
So I was working an event today (wedding), helping serve food.. and I realized that the little chafing fuel cans that lit the bottom of the warm serve trays would be perfect for a stove.. I assume its something akin to esbit inside of them and they would be super easy to deal with (no measuring alcohol, separate bottle for fuel, etc) but I'm just not sure how fast they would heat and what kinda gunk they'd leave on the bottom of the pots (i'd want to buy a separate pot to dedicate to said fuel type).. Does anybody have experience with this method? It's probably a tad heavier than an alcohol stove and whatnot.. but it just seems so easy. :-?

Your grandfather could answer this question.

Gelled alcohol, or canned heat as it was once called, has been around for generations. Years ago, it was universally referred to as Sterno, the most common brand name.

Sterno produced a folding sheet metal stove, marketed for camping and emergency use. I used one in the late 60s. It was bulky, heavy by today's standard, and slow to boil water.

Although Sterno enjoyed some level of popularity at one time, backpackers were quick to replace these with white gas stoves in the 70s.

If you don't mind the extra weight, Sterno may still work fine for short hikes. Resupply would be a problem on longer hikes.

Toolshed
11-07-2010, 06:44
I'm laughing - Sterno Stoves...we had these in Germany in the 70's when I was stationed on the East German Border. One of my first stoves ever was the fold-away metal sterno stove. Thanks for the walk down memory lane :)

BigHodag
11-07-2010, 08:49
I experimented with chafing "candles," as they're called, last spring. I cut the top off and found the wick was submersd in a blue gel. The left over gel burns off well enough. The can side are weak without the folded edge at the top.

I tried converting the lower can to a supercat stove. The fuel to air ratio was off and never mixed properly. I never got sustainable jets, but the wider can is stable.

I also tried using one as a suppercat windscreen and Hennie pot support. Using a can opener I punched some large holes in the bottom and set a supercat stove inside and lit. Same problem as above, not enouch air flow.

However, don't let my tinkering dissuade you. Your results may differ or you figure out the physics and create the next AT stove.

Sterno produced a folding sheet metal stove,

I still have mine. Its gold flding aluminum with a steel cooking rack. Got it in '79 at the BX at RAF Alconbury in the UK. Backpacked it a few times. Heavy compared to todays stoves. My problem was putting the lid on to squelch the flame while still inside a very hot metal cage.

I saw a similar grey/black folding stove for sale at the BX at Little Rock AFB recently. Perhaps they're making a come back. Chafing candles might work with these, but a stove woul;d be more efficient. Also, I havent seen much Sterno or many chafing candles along the trail.

veteran
11-07-2010, 09:07
Coghlan still makes them:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xiFpdaRwL._SS500_.jpg

Skidsteer
11-07-2010, 09:34
I experimented with chafing "candles," as they're called, last spring. I cut the top off and found the wick was submersd in a blue gel. The left over gel burns off well enough. The can side are weak without the folded edge at the top.

I tried converting the lower can to a supercat stove. The fuel to air ratio was off and never mixed properly. I never got sustainable jets, but the wider can is stable.

I also tried using one as a suppercat windscreen and Hennie pot support. Using a can opener I punched some large holes in the bottom and set a supercat stove inside and lit. Same problem as above, not enouch air flow.

However, don't let my tinkering dissuade you. Your results may differ or you figure out the physics and create the next AT stove.

The big problem using them as a stovebuilding can these days is that for the last couple years the cans are made of steel, not aluminum.

Aluminum Sterno and chafing fuel cans are hard to find.

atraildreamer
11-07-2010, 11:23
I assume its something akin to esbit inside of them ...

The fuel is gelled methanol. I contacted one of the manufacturers of the chafing dish fuel canisters to find out the BTU content of their product, but they refused to give me a figure, saying that it was "proprietary". :(

Stick to Heet Yellow and cat stoves, or soda can stoves, less aggravation, a lot lighter, and easier to use. :)

thelowend
11-07-2010, 11:58
Thanks for the feedback! I WILL let all of these comments dissuade my tinkering mainly because if more efficient cooking means carrying some separate fuel.. then I need to get off my lazy butt and figure out my alc. stove situation :D Thanks again!

grayfox
11-07-2010, 14:52
Even though this is 'indoor' fuel--only use it outside in well vented places. They add something to keep people from drinking it and the fumes should be considered toxic to some extent. And be carefull of the probably toxic-when-heated coatings on the cans you use.

If you have to or want to use the wick form of this fuel here is what I do. Find a can, tuna or cat food size, steel works better but alum is ok, that fits just inside the rim of the fuel can. Remove the lid and use a triangular can opener to put vent holes all around this can which will be your pot support. The little triangles can help stabilize the can by bending them to touch the raised threaded part of the fuel can. Place the vented can upside down over the wick and place your pot on what will now act like a scorch buster to spread the heat of the flame under your pot.

A sturdier version can be made by using the pot support can right side up and putting a hole in the center that just fits over the raised neck with the wick. Take an extra lid and remove the top so that you have an open ring. Screw the ring down so that your pot support can is now firmly attached to the fuel can. You can use a larger can for this pot support, which will then pack upside down over the fuel can for transport.

I really need to get a camera I guess.

At any rate, this set up is good for keeping stuff warm--you need to have a lot of patience. Even so, you can burn food just over the flame, so keep stiring the beans every now and then.

sarbar
11-07-2010, 23:28
Coghlan still makes them:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xiFpdaRwL._SS500_.jpg

As my Dad said a decade ago.....and unchanged since WWII as well. :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
11-08-2010, 08:42
thelowend's thread title-"Chafing Fuel Cans?"I carry my fuel cans in the side pocket of my pack and haven't had any problems with chafing. :D

Bati
11-08-2010, 12:25
Sterno works very poorly at elevation, even when doubled up and with very long "cook" times (based on unfortunate personal experience I gained thanks to the TSA.)

It did OK at lower levels, and worked for an overnighter or two, but if you need a stove, I'd take something more reliable and with stronger output, like an alcohol stove or white gas. You'll also save on weight and cost if you hike much.

zelph
11-25-2010, 20:54
I've built a stove or two out of the cans. I filled the entire opening with a large wick. The fuel has lots of btu's and had boil times equal to alcohol. It does not burn well in cold temperatures. It smells/stinks like esbit when the wick is blown out and smolders for a few minutes.:eek:

If you can get past the smell you got it.....................:confused:

lucidglassj
11-29-2010, 14:12
My mom's a nurse and she says hard-core alcoholics will swallow the alchohol gel stuff even though its not the right kind of alcohol.