PDA

View Full Version : Gear List thus far - Help Appreciated

Wuff
11-07-2010, 17:04
Currently planning out my 2011 thru of the AT. I thought it was time to open myself up to criticism, so if you have a moment let me know what you think about my gear list so far. Some of this is already purchased, some of it is not.

Pack
Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian 56oz
Trash Compactor bag liner 2.2oz

Shelter
Mont-bell Crescent 1 37oz
Stuff sack 0.9oz

Sleep System
REI Mojave +15 down 40oz
Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite 14oz
Stuff Sack 0.9oz
Silk Sleeping bag liner 4.3oz
Total 59.2oz

Cook System
.9 liter T-ware pot 5.2oz
spork 0.3oz
PocketRocket stove 4.5oz
extra fuel canister (2 total)
lighter (2) 1.0 oz
Titanium mug 3.0 oz
Pot scrubber 0.1 oz
Food bag (stuff sack) 0.9 oz
Cord for hanging food (how much do I need?)
Total 16.3oz

Clothing System (nothing purchased yet, although)
Lightweight long underwear
Midweight long underwear
Short sleeve synthetic shirt
Nylon/synthetic shorts
Rain jacket
Rain pants
Down/synthetic or fleece jacket (haven't made a decision on this yet)
Socks (2) wool - for hiking
Socks (1) thicker wool - for camp
Bandanna (2)
Mittens
Beanie
Hiking boot/trail runner
Crocs

Toiletrees
Toilet paper 1.9oz
Toothbrush cut in half 0.1oz
Nail clippers 0.7oz
Campsuds (soap) 1.5oz
Pack Towel?
4.2oz

First Aid kit
Meds
Insect repellent
Antibiotic lotion
4" x 4" gauze pads (3)
Bandages (8)
Blister treatment
Athletic tape
Ear plugs

Water System
70 oz platypus 5.5oz
2 liter fold up water tote
Gatorade bottles (2)
Chlorine dioxide drops

Miscellaneous
Book
AT Companion and data book
Headlamp
Pocket knife
Camera 6oz
Journal
iPod 4.9oz
Cell Phone 3.53oz
Compass 0.2oz
Chargers

"Grand" Total = 178.8oz (12ish pounds, but missing weight on some items so I'm assuming I'm going to be heavier than this..)

What am I missing folks? Appreciate any feedback you might have.

Jeff

leaftye
11-07-2010, 17:22
Shelter
Stuff sack 0.9oz -- not needed

Sleep System
Stuff Sack 0.9oz -- not needed
Silk Sleeping bag liner 4.3oz -- why?

Cook System
lighter (2) 1.0 oz -- I like having a different type of fire starter instead of 2 of the same
Titanium mug 3.0 oz -- can you drink out of your pot?
Cord for hanging food (how much do I need?) -- 50 feet should do it. Rock sack?

Lightweight long underwear -- I would do without
Midweight long underwear -- I would do without

Pack Towel? -- bandanas should be good enough

Water System -- That's a lot of water capacity for the AT

Stuff sacks aren't needed if you stuff your shelter and sleeping bag in the bottom of your pack...maybe use that trash compacter to separate things if the shelter is wet or it's raining.

I personally always use long sleeves and long pants for sun and rain protection, but that's personal preference.

I find long underwear too heavy, bulky and cold to warrant carrying on long hikes. They're almost never needed while hiking unless it's well below freezing. I much prefer a very lightweight puffy layer for breaks and camp. BPL makes very light puffy pants and Montbell makes very light thin down jackets, although there are many light puffy jackets if you want something puffier.

Trekking poles, sunscreen, hat?

Luddite
11-07-2010, 17:52
http://www.froggtoggs.com/#outerwear/driducks/

You should check out the Dri Ducks rain gear. They're UL, very breathable, and cheap.

I don't know what month you plan to start you hike in, but with a 15* bag you can probably do without the liner. Instead of the liner you should get another sleeping pad, maybe a torso length for added insulation. Another way you can save some weight is to cut your sleeping pad down and maybe leave the crocs at home, they're heavier than you think.

Appalachian Tater
11-07-2010, 23:33
Carry your tent on the outside of your pack, vertically. That way when it is raining you can set it up without opening your pack and same for breaking down your tent in the rain. Works well with the Nimbus line.

Don't think you need two pairs of long underwear. Even if it gets wet, it dries very fast. You might consider a wool shirt or sweater with a zip or button neck to hike in when it is cold, over a shirt.

If you haven't bought your pack yet, consider the Nimbus Ozone instead of the Meridian and save 8 oz. which is a good bit of weight. Then you can keep your toothbrush handle for the few grams it weighs so you can do a proper job brushing your teeth and won't have to spend a lot of time in the dentist's chair later.

Bandanas make awful towels, they aren't very absorbent. I use a cellulose sponge to wipe sweat. I found about eight bandannas along the trail on my thru. Lots of hiking pole tips, too. No need to buy either one!

If you start before the leaves are on the trees, you need sunscreen at first but not insect repellant.

I love my iPod but would use up the battery in one day and then would have to carry it a week until it could be recharged.

Forget the two liter water tote.

You don't need an extra fuel canister.

You don't need an extra lighter but maybe some waterproof matches or some other method of firestarting as a backup.

If you are prone to blisters, get some cheap nylon dress socks from the discount store for under $2.00 for sock liners.

Crocs are heavy, get some $1 flip flops for camp and those nasty showers at some of the places you will be staying. Stick to trail runners, not boots.

Are you going to use hiking poles?

If you are used to using a spork then use it but if not just get one of those $0.69 cent spoons they sell loose at stores with camping supplies--get the bigger size so you can stir.

For your choice of jacket, there are plenty of threads about the decision you have to make. Read them.

Anything you think will be nice to have that you don't really need, leave at home. Make sure your pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and tent are light because you can't leave those at home and they can be expensive to switch out.

Wuff
11-08-2010, 15:56
All great suggestions, especially...

leaftye - I think you're right on the two sets of thermals, but I may bring one set since I tend to sleep cold. I can always ship home. Also good call on the water - I'm prone to dehydration but the water tote is probably overkill.

To clarify on the sleeping, you just stuff in the bottom of the pack without a stuff sack?

Luddite - The Dri Drucks look nice, were you thinking the $20 pair or the step up?

The silk liner was based on a suggestion that it would keep the bag from getting funky too quickly and would be easier to wash than the bag. Since it wasn't a super expensive purchase I perhaps shouldn't worry about it - it'd just one more thing to carry.

Appalachian Tater -

I was thinking the same on how to carry the tent. I was planning on getting the Ozone and not the Meridian, but found a brand new Meridian for $28. Which I took as a sign that it was the pack for me (also it was enough karma to request a LOA from work). I was thinking about dropping the removable hip pack to save some weight..

As I said earlier I'll take all your suggestions about the water tote and just stick with the platy and gatorade bottles..

I'm still undecided on trekking poles, but if I can find a pair on sale I'll probably bring them. Never used them before, but then I've never done a thru-hike.

Thanks for all your suggestions, its great to have the help! I'd insert the dancing banana here, but I find it slightly irritating..

Luddite
11-08-2010, 16:52
Luddite - The Dri Drucks look nice, were you thinking the $20 pair or the step up?

The silk liner was based on a suggestion that it would keep the bag from getting funky too quickly and would be easier to wash than the bag. Since it wasn't a super expensive purchase I perhaps shouldn't worry about it - it'd just one more thing to carry.

The Ultralight or the TrailPac will both work. They aren't very strong and will tear very easily, so you kind of have to baby them.

Sleeping bags usually only get smelly down by the foot area. Just change you socks before you get in it.

Rocket Jones
11-08-2010, 17:19
Someone else first mentioned this, and I think it's a great idea. Include a small laminated card in your first aid kit that has info like your blood type, any allergies you have, daily meds (and dosages), emergency contact info, health insurance info, etc.

Also have a page tucked away somewhere with contact info for all your gear in case you need repairs or replacement, under warranty or not. Things like tent manufacturer, shoes or boots, etc. Make, models, serial numbers, and if it is under warranty, knowing where the original receipt is would be a good thing.

These are all things you hope never to have to need, but if you do... Better to prepare and not need it than have to try to wing it from the trail.

sbhikes
11-08-2010, 17:51
My gear was about 12lbs. That was a perfect weight for me. Felt like nothing.

StormBird
11-08-2010, 19:06
Sleep System
REI Mojave +15 down 40oz
Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite 14oz
Stuff Sack 0.9oz
Silk Sleeping bag liner 4.3oz you don't need this
Total 59.2oz

Cook System
.9 liter T-ware pot 5.2oz
spork 0.3oz
PocketRocket stove 4.5oz
extra fuel canister (2 total) You only need one at a time
lighter (2) 1.0 oz Drop a lighter and add waterproof matches
Titanium mug 3.0 oz
Pot scrubber 0.1 oz Use dry leaves, then you don't have a smelly sponge in your pot
Food bag (stuff sack) 0.9 oz
Cord for hanging food (how much do I need?) 50 - 100 ft
Total 16.3oz

Lightweight long underwear
Midweight long underwear drop the mid weight and just carry the light weight
Short sleeve synthetic shirt
Nylon/synthetic shorts
Rain jacket
Rain pants you don't need rain pants unless it's cold and even then you can do without. I wore shorts my whole hike. When I was wet, I was fine while I was moving. When you get to camp, put on dry clothes and get into your sleeping bag. Easy, peasy.
Down/synthetic or fleece jacket (haven't made a decision on this yet)
Socks (2) wool - for hiking
Socks (1) thicker wool - for camp
Bandanna (2)
Mittens
Beanie
Hiking boot/trail runner do the trail runners
Crocs

Toiletrees
Toilet paper 1.9oz
Toothbrush cut in half 0.1oz
Nail clippers 0.7oz you could get a multi-tool and drop the knife and clippers
Campsuds (soap) 1.5oz
Pack Towel? either carry the bandanas OR towel, not both
4.2oz

First Aid kit
Meds
Insect repellent you don't need it
Antibiotic lotion
4" x 4" gauze pads (3)
Bandages (8) use tape and guaze
Blister treatment use sports tape or duct tape
Athletic tape
Ear plugs

Water System
70 oz platypus 5.5oz
2 liter fold up water tote Over kill
Gatorade bottles (2)
Chlorine dioxide drops

Miscellaneous
Book
AT Companion and data book cut book up. i found AWOL's guide to be better since it had elevation profiles. Check it out.
Headlamp
Pocket knife see above for clippers
Camera 6oz
Journal
iPod 4.9oz
Cell Phone 3.53oz
Compass 0.2oz
Chargers

"Grand" Total = 178.8oz (12ish pounds, but missing weight on some items so I'm assuming I'm going to be heavier than this..)

What am I missing folks? Appreciate any feedback you might have.

Jeff

Maybe add in a long sleeve base layer. It can also act as your second layer when you get to camp and your shirt is wet and it is cold outside.

hope this helps! Happy trails!:banana

leaftye
11-12-2010, 03:20
I have to disagree with AT about the bandana. Sure, a sponge may work better, but I'm a heavy sweater and a bandana works well enough.

leaftye -

To clarify on the sleeping, you just stuff in the bottom of the pack without a stuff sack?

Earlier this year I was using a stuff sack for my quilt and bivy, but then I realized I almost always use my bivy. Why not use the bivy like a stuff sack? It helps me pack and unpack a lot faster. That quickness really helps me get out on the trail on cold mornings...sometimes I'm hiking before I'm awake enough to think about the cold. Also, I've been using fewer stuff sacks too. Now I throw most of my little things in my big clothing stuff sack. That's the only real stuff sack I have now.

So yeah, you got it right.

burntoutphilosopher
11-12-2010, 07:33
i'm late to jump on this thread... but wanted to say i get MORE room in my pack without using stuffsacks for everything. i find they all mash together better.

but when doing that i'd try and find a way to strap yoru shelter to the outside of your pack (not an issue for you since you're on the AT and it doesn't seem like you're carrying a shelter).

as for the jacket i'm going through the same hting right now, just ordered a mont bell and i will make some comparisons when i get it ... i am going on a 7 night trip here first week of december so if it comes in time i will check it out. nothing 'wrong' with a fleece, just bulky / heavy

burntoutphilosopher
11-12-2010, 07:36
sorry you do have a shelter, it had been edited from the above reply so i didn't see.

Sierra Echo
11-12-2010, 07:37
lose the crocs and get some teva sandals instead. Tevas have good tread and arent as heavy and clunky as crocs.

Wuff
11-12-2010, 12:04
but when doing that i'd try and find a way to strap yoru shelter to the outside of your pack (not an issue for you since you're on the AT and it doesn't seem like you're carrying a shelter).

as for the jacket i'm going through the same hting right now, just ordered a mont bell and i will make some comparisons when i get it ... i am going on a 7 night trip here first week of december so if it comes in time i will check it out. nothing 'wrong' with a fleece, just bulky / heavy

Yeah I agree, I will be strapping the shelter to the outside, probably vertically.

I'm also leaning towards a montbell jacket or maybe a patagonia down sweater. I love fleece but it is definitely bulky.

Stormbird:

You pushed me over the edge on the silk liner, I'll drop it. That seems to be the consensus anyway. I also didn't really consider the fact that I won't need insect repellent until later in the trip. I'm used to backpacking in the summer obviously.

Sierra Echo:

I love my Tevas. I love my Crocs. I could go either way - probably use whichever is still in good shape come March.

Iceaxe
11-12-2010, 12:43
Hi Wuff.
I have been following this thread and there is some great advice here from folks.
Anyhow, I can't find where anyone has mentioned this so here goes: Your pack, the Granite gear nimbus is 3.8lbs. Since you seem open to the idea of lightening up, based on your responses to folk's advice, perhaps you might consider that a 3.8 lb pack is not neccesary to carry a sub-12 lb base weight.
I found that my 8.5 lbs of gear in my 2lb GoLite Pinnacle was quite comfortable for the entire PCT as were many other hikers that used a similar frameless pack. My longest carry was 8 days with a bear can and food totaling about 32 lbs in the Pinnacle.. it was a little uncomfortable for a few days until i ate some of the food.
I carried 10 lbs in a 14 ounce Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus on the CDT and it was quite comfortable. My longest carry was 7 days so that meant about 25 lbs max in the Exodus with no problems.
I know packs and the reason folks chose them can be almost as individual as shoes so please take my words as just a suggestion. Not everyone likes frameless packs and they definitely require a careful loading strategy to keep them comfy.
Anyways, if you could make it work, there is the potential to save 2lbs right off the bat.
Cheers-Iceaxe
Mountain Laurel Design Exodus Loaded for 6 days of food and snow gear=24 lbs. The gear stuffed into this pack provides the rigidity of a frame.. without the frame..
http://postholer.com/journal/images/1100/full-568-12607-CDT_2010_Prep_005.JPG

BrianLe
11-12-2010, 13:22
General suggestion for thru-hike gear lists: state when you plan to start, and in which direction. It helps in looking at clothing, sleeping bag, etc.

"What am I missing folks? Appreciate any feedback you might have."

I suggest that the "what am I missing" question isn't one that's efficiently answered by the online community --- asking many people to review for missing stuff is a whole lot less efficient than the O.P. scanning any of a number of very complete gear lists and comparing to see what might not be represented. So for example, I can tell you "you listed a toothbrush but no toothpaste", but much more efficient might be for you to just look at a list that purports to be really complete and see what sort of things you might want there that aren't on your list. For example, you could look at my (NOBO AT) list (http://www.nwlink.com/~brianle/AT_Gear_List_Gadget.pdf) made prior to starting in late Feb last year.

Sorry, don't mean to be grumpy, I just think in general that folks posting gear lists can do a lot to help out those who they're asking to do some work for them. Checking ahead of time for anything missing is IMO one of those. Of course it's still fine to ask "is there something I've *chosen* not to list that you think I should carry" --- that's a different thing entirely from "I've not bothered to review my list for completeness, you do it for me".

Spork: individual preference, perhaps, but in the context of stuff I personally eat on a thru-hike, I've never wanted anything fork-like, a spoon is IMO better. Factor in that I use the freezer bag cooking method, sharp tines aren't good when eating out of a ziplock.

How do you get the Montbell Crescent at 1 pound 37 oz? Manufacturer claims a higher weight, I doubt they're being pessimistic. I suggest you invest in a postal type scale from an office supply store.

Sierra Echo said:

"lose the crocs and get some teva sandals instead."

FWIW, I'm in the camp that says "lose the crocs and bring nothing else instead". I didn't get any nasty issues on my feet in various hostel showers, and with the laces loosened my trail runners made great slippers. And there are very very few wet stream crossings on the AT, and all of those are easy and safe.

You're 26 years old, and list a 14 oz 72" long sleeping pad. This is something you can easily adjust on-trail, but you might find yourself fine with a shorter pad, just put your empty pack under your legs. OTOH, in colder weather you might or might not find the z-lite sufficient (?) with an R-value of 2.2. Again, knowing when you're starting and what direction is helpful.

You list both a pot and a titanium mug. Consider just a large titanium mug; going solo you don't need a ton of pot capacity, depending on your cooking style. Something like the 700 ml Snow Peak titanium mug (http://www.rei.com/product/708071), for example. I personally suggest an alcohol stove too, as I would find dealing with cannisters a PITA on a thru-hike, but I know that other thru-hikers like their cannister stoves, so each to their own.

I just can't say much about clothing without knowing when and what direction ...

Might not be politically correct, but I don't use campsuds. FBC method of eating means no pot to clean, I use purell for my hands (which I recommend that you add to your list).

2-liter fold-up water tote is a good idea, and in fact I suggest you look for something with even more capacity. I was happy in camp to have a 4-liter platypus unit with a handle, just get water once to last through dinner and breakfast and have water to start walking with the next morning. I've never found one of those that I really like, however; I don't trust the ziplock closures, and I like one with a comfortable handle. Anyway, consider sizing this up, doesn't add significant weight.

Camera, ipod, cell phone --- very personal, of course, but I like using my cell phone camera to save one device (and charging cord). Rather than an iPod, I quite liked having a very light MP3 player that uses a single AAA battery. Yet one less thing to recharge. There really are useable media players that are not made by Apple :-)

Your "grand total" down to a tenth of an ounce is IMO not too meaningful until you have a complete list with everything weighed --- the sum of "all the little stuff" can be surprising.

You might also consider having in essence two lists, depending (broken record time) on when you're starting and in which direction. For me, a big switch came at Pearisburg, swapped for a lighter bag, less clothing, etc, and basically went to a substantially lighter base weight. Factoring that sort of thing into your gear list also makes it easier for folks to review and give feedback.

Please don't take any of the above as negatives aimed at you, Wuff (!), just "feedback". I wish you the very best in prep and in hiking the trail next year.

burntoutphilosopher
11-12-2010, 21:34
^^ to add to this...

... i spent some time night before last and said 'okay, sure i can eplace stuff with lighter gear ... but if i left tomorrow morning what would my pack look like'

by the time i had first aid, extra batteries, cords / chargers ... oh and this, oh and that

my 9 pound baseweight was up to 13.5lbs.

i can improve on that by replacing stuff, but the point brianle made is a good one, all the extras really add up. i have a cheap fish scale accurate to 1/4 ounce and hang my pack on it. all loaded and wow, things often weight more than manufacturer states

Wuff
11-17-2010, 14:59
Iceax -

Anyhow, I can't find where anyone has mentioned this so here goes: Your pack, the Granite gear nimbus is 3.8lbs. Since you seem open to the idea of lightening up, based on your responses to folk's advice, perhaps you might consider that a 3.8 lb pack is not neccesary to carry a sub-12 lb base weight.

You are totally right about this - and I may end up switching to a lighter or smaller pack. I'm hesitant for a couple reasons, mainly I'm not sure that my final weight will be sub-12 - although hopefully it is.

BrianLe -

Hmm a lot to respond to here, but first of all you're right - I should have noted that I'll be a northbounder headed to the trail in mid to late March.

Sorry, don't mean to be grumpy, I just think in general that folks posting gear lists can do a lot to help out those who they're asking to do some work for them. Checking ahead of time for anything missing is IMO one of those. Of course it's still fine to ask "is there something I've *chosen* not to list that you think I should carry" --- that's a different thing entirely from "I've not bothered to review my list for completeness, you do it for me".

I agree that posters should check gear lists before posting their own, and I have done this extensively (thank you for sharing yours), and I'm sure I'll keep obsessing about it. The implication that I haven't bothered to review my list for completeness confuses me. If it takes too much of your time to review a gear list, by all means don't feel like you are required to. I appreciate any help, and look forward to helping others review their lists after I (hopefully) complete my hike.

How do you get the Montbell Crescent at 1 pound 37 oz? Manufacturer claims a higher weight, I doubt they're being pessimistic. I suggest you invest in a postal type scale from an office supply store.

The manufacturer lists this as 38 oz packaged, so I was off by one ounce. I have not purchased my tent yet, so I'll get a more official weight at that point.

You list both a pot and a titanium mug. Consider just a large titanium mug; going solo you don't need a ton of pot capacity, depending on your cooking style. Something like the 700 ml Snow Peak titanium mug, for example.

Funny you mention this - I had just switched my pot over to this exact mug. Saving space and time sounds good to me!

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback and ideas - even if you do think that I was saying "I've not bothered to review my list for completeness, you do it for me". No harm done, I'm kidding with you.

burntoutphilosopher
11-17-2010, 18:49
go wuff... only 13 posts and already not feeding the trolls !