PDA

View Full Version : parking at either terminus?

Peanut
11-07-2010, 17:53
I was thinking about doing a road trip to and from CA to do the trail (I have a bunch of places and people I would like to visit). I was wondering if it was possible/safe to park at either terminus for the duration of my JMT hike.

Thanks for any help :)

topshelf
11-07-2010, 18:26
You should contact Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks to see what they can tell ya.

tuswm
11-07-2010, 18:56
I know there is trail head long term parking and a backpackers camp ground near the trail head in yosemite and u can take public transportation back

Helmuth.Fishmonger
11-08-2010, 13:21
I've left cars at either end for weeks. As long as you clean the vehicle from anything that could smell tasty to a bear, you're not looking at a big risk. No food in the car, no french fries under the seats, and nothing in view that could even remotely look like food or a food container. If you bring a cooler, cutting board, etc - all that pack into a bear locker near the car for the time you're on the trail.

There were some two-legged critter problems early in the season at Whitney Portal this year with some break ins reported, but those are pretty rare.

I think in total, I've had cars on these parking lots for almost a year combined and never had the slightest problem.

el31415
11-13-2010, 01:09
If you are parking in the Yosemite valley at the backpacker parking
the ranger station do issue a kind of "permit" that you put on your windshield,
Highly recommended as you will get peace of mind and not be afraid to have your car towed away.
On my last trip I left my car there for 2 weeks and my car was so dusty it looked like an abandoned vehicle.

Cookerhiker
06-11-2012, 17:20
I've left cars at either end for weeks. As long as you clean the vehicle from anything that could smell tasty to a bear, you're not looking at a big risk. No food in the car, no french fries under the seats, and nothing in view that could even remotely look like food or a food container. If you bring a cooler, cutting board, etc - all that pack into a bear locker near the car for the time you're on the trail.

There were some two-legged critter problems early in the season at Whitney Portal this year with some break ins reported, but those are pretty rare.

I think in total, I've had cars on these parking lots for almost a year combined and never had the slightest problem.

We had planned to leave my car at Tuolumne and take the bus back but it looks like our likely completion date is Labor Day Weekend when the buses don't run. So now, we're looking at leaving our car at the southern end. Any changes to the Whitney Portal parking situation; is it still a good place to leave a car? Are there any hostels or motels in Lone Pine where we could leave it? On the latter, we'd commit to spending a night there after the hike's completion.

UltraRunner
06-11-2012, 18:18
We had planned to leave my car at Tuolumne and take the bus back but it looks like our likely completion date is Labor Day Weekend when the buses don't run. So now, we're looking at leaving our car at the southern end. Any changes to the Whitney Portal parking situation; is it still a good place to leave a car? Are there any hostels or motels in Lone Pine where we could leave it? On the latter, we'd commit to spending a night there after the hike's completion.
Plenty of parking at The Portal. I've left a vehicle there on several of my JMT hikes. There's a hostel in Lone Pine but parking is VERY limited. I doubt they'd let you leave a vehicle there for an extended period of time due to the few parking spaces they have.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-12-2012, 11:33
Good parking at the Portal, long term lot is the lower one and no problem to leave your car there for weeks, just like on the long term lots in Tuolumne Meadows. In Yos Valley, the lot sucks, but if you don't mind finding a 2" layer of dust on it, you can park there as well (next to Curry Village).

Anywhere you leave your car, make sure it is CLEAN, and that means every old french fry that may have fallen under the seat, or the smell of that last fishing trip in the trunk has to go, completely, or you will find a car that's broken into by our furry friends, plus an expensive ticket from a ranger for not following the rules.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-12-2012, 11:36
Plenty of parking at The Portal. I've left a vehicle there on several of my JMT hikes. There's a hostel in Lone Pine but parking is VERY limited. I doubt they'd let you leave a vehicle there for an extended period of time due to the few parking spaces they have.

I think the Dow Villa hotel has room for some long term parking. Call and ask. The Hostel has very limited parking and during the season, you really can't leave your car there. I've done it in April, but that isn't JMT season for most people.

Cookerhiker
06-12-2012, 14:52
Great - thanks for the prompt replies. We'll leave the car at Whitney Portal, thumb to Lone Pine & spend the night there, catch the early morning bus to Lee Vining and YARTS to Tuolumne to start our hike.