PDA

View Full Version : critique my AT thru kit

Thoreau-going
11-08-2010, 02:28
-Starting in March, either the second or third week. NOBO
-yellow highlights mark gear that I DO NOT have yet.. So it is the easiest for me to switch out. But everything is open to change.
-not attached to my pack at all. considering a CDT or Mariposa in its stead.
-base weight is about 14 right now (winter) would love to be nearer to 12 and sub 10 lb in the summer.

Other than that, I welcome your advice: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-C9WE2DZ4xLZDFlMGViZTAtZTk2Yi00ZWUwLTgxNWEtODA1MjA4 ZDNlNmUz&hl=en

Nathan

flemdawg1
11-09-2010, 13:42
You'll have more responses perhaps, if you cut and paste your gear list to the forum. I can't access it thru your link.

Bubble Toes
11-09-2010, 16:46
You don't need a windshirt and a rain jacket. Down booties are a little fussier than heavy socks - can you walk around in them with out shoes? If not, will they fit in your shoes? (Think bathroom at night and mud) Don't carry more than 1 guide book. Pick one with info and the data. Don't bring a compass unless you are bring maps. Wait for the headnet and DEET. Try to minimize your stuff sacks - use ziplocs where you can. You can also line a stuff sack with a plastic bag instead of a dry bag. Yes, there are very light dry bags, but they are also more delicate. The Cap 3 is nice, pricey but nice.

daddytwosticks
11-09-2010, 17:10
I'm not a thru-hiker but when I did my 5 day section hike from AFSP to Neel's this April, the gnats were horrible durring the day. I was glad to use my headnet when taking a break or setting up camp at the end of the day. Weighed one ounce from WalMart. :)

bigcranky
11-09-2010, 19:20
You don't need a windshirt and a rain jacket.

I do. They perform very different jobs. A four layer system of base layer/wind shirt/insulation/rain shell works well over a wide variety of weather conditions.

For example, hiking on a cold and windy, but clear, day, a wind shirt over a base layer is very comfortable, while wearing my rain shell would be sweaty and uncomfortable.

As usual, YMMV, and different people find different solutions for the same issues.

pafarmboy
11-09-2010, 20:38
Ditch the soap and compass (lose 3.5 oz). Switch out the knife with a leatherman micro (lose 1 oz.) Only need 25 feet of cord for bear bagging (minus another 1.5 oz.)

6 more ounces shaved!

Focus on the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves.

Good luck and have fun!

mountain squid
11-09-2010, 21:41
Some observations:

be absolutely sure you will be warm in a hammock before hitting the trail
does hammock have bug protection for when mosquitoes start attacking?
do you have something for legs besides just rain pants? it will be cold
camp footwear
regular size bic lighter
maps
guidebook or data book - no need for both
hand sanitizer
whistle
sun screen (no leaves on the trees)
needle for draining blisters
ear plugs
duct tape

and, of course, don't forget ID/ATM/credit cards.

Disagree:
keep compass - you shouldn't need it for following trail, but if you do get lost . . .
keep Swiss Army Knife, if it has scissors and tweezers
25ft of cord may not be enough - stick with 50ft

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Thoreau-going
11-10-2010, 14:02
Thanks for the replies. I was starting to think maybe people couldn't open the file.

Some thoughts:

-I'm going with two friends so one of us will take maps, one the data book, and one a trail guide.. Overkill?

-I haven't tried my hammock in below freezing weather yet, so I'm looking forward to being able to this winter.. I might switch to a tent/shelters for the first few weeks.

-I think I need both my windshirt and rain shell. But in the cold, I might not need my wind shirt at first. That might go in my Fontana mail drop.

-I was planning on long underwear under my rain pants in the cold.. should I bring two sets of heavy weight in the winter? One for sleep, one for hiking?

- Duct tape is wrapped around my toothbrush.

Some good advice so far! Thanks everyone.

scope
11-10-2010, 15:36
Your hammock setup appears to be golden, although since its all DIY stuff, its hard to say for sure. Definitely test. Taking the Zlite pad will be a nice supplement if needed. A little bulky, though. I prefer an inflatable (air, not open cell foam) because they are thicker (inflated) and less bulky in the pack.

Need to stay dry when its cold, but you won't stay dry when its warm (rain jacket or not), except when you stop for the night and climb into your dry set of clothes - which I don't see on the list, but should be there.

cravj1988
11-10-2010, 16:24
As Mt. Squid mentioned, a 2 oz bottle of Hand Sanitizer is crucial to keeping good hygiene on the trail.

Mason String is a good light weight alternative to the paracord for hanging food.

jesse
11-10-2010, 16:36
If you can stay dry and warm in your hammock, I'd say you are good to go. You'll figure out the rest along the way.

Crunchygroovesbra
11-10-2010, 16:37
dude u are going to freeze in that hammock....even with all ur clothes, the liner and your pad in there it still gets freeezing. Last season I didn't really get comfortable in my hammock until late may, i'd def try it out one night b4 u leave. Also, maps and compass are virtually useless, one guidebook is fine,use the sun!. Soap? Sanitizer? not even needed, i started with some soap and ditched it by the time i got to fontana. Maybe i'm just a dirtbag though...u Don't even need to double up on anything except socks, ur going to smell no matter how many pairs of stuff u have.....oh and a camera is a def added bonus, i still look at all the pics i took and wish i took even more

scope
11-10-2010, 19:07
dude u are going to freeze in that hammock....even with all ur clothes, the liner and your pad in there it still gets freeezing. Last season I didn't really get comfortable in my hammock until late may, i'd def try it out one night b4 u leave.

The guy has obviously been doing his homework on HammockForums.net... believe me, he will be no worse than a tent or shelter with the cold, probably much better.

Crunchygroovesbra
11-11-2010, 12:10
All i'm saying is when I hiked from Springer last year I was NOT as comfortable as in a shelter. The airflow underneath the hammock was freezing and I had the same EXACT z-lite pad under myself as he will. I also would wear a balaclava and a wool hat when i went to be and I was still cold. I understand each person sleeps differently, but from my own experience on the AT the hammock wasnt totally comfortable until later in the year. By all means bring it, I brought mine and never switched it out and survived, but i def slept on the ground a few nights all the way up until TN, including one night where i woke up and made a fire to sleep next to i was so cold even in my 15 degree down bag.....its just something to think about...

Crunchygroovesbra
11-11-2010, 12:13
oh.... i forgot, u should look into either at least pad extenders or a pea pod, the pea pod is prob ur best bet to stay warm in the hammock, but its like 200 beans....pretty pricey....

slugger
11-17-2010, 00:09
Few little things I saw like others mentioned.

The big thing that caught my eye is it looks like your only bringing one layer of sumer cloths. When you are washing your 1 Nike shirt and your 1 pair of shorts are you going to wear your winter base layer? Also I know I find it nice to have a second pair of everything to change in to at night when your done hiking for the day to let your dirties hang dry. this also gives you a clean dirty rotation for when you do hit the laundry mat. Also, you don't have hiking socks listed for summer or winter.