PDA

View Full Version : Hiker saved by a picture of boots!

StorminMormon
11-08-2010, 14:38
Altadena Patch (http://altadena.patch.com/articles/saved-by-a-photo-of-boots-lost-hiker-shows-value-of-taking-precautions)

Awesome story. I always leave very detailed plans with my family members when I go hiking. This seems a bit extreme...but it worked in his favor!

Namaste
11-08-2010, 16:04
WOW! Great story All the years I've been teaching Wilderness Skills I never even thought of that. I'll be copying the idea, and attaching to my itinerary and topo map that I leave with family for each trip (which I've always done). Thanks for sharing that!

StorminMormon
11-08-2010, 16:36
I was blown away by that article, too. I leave such detailed itineraries (maps, milestones, "what if" scenarios that I may use because of weather, injury/illness, and more...) of my trips that it's ridiculous, but I never considered that before.

I know this may be taking it a little too far, but I shared that story with another friend of mine and we joked about leaving a dirty shirt in a plastic bag behind so that someone could give it to a tracking dog to find us. At first we laughed, but after a few seconds...we both kinda' looked at each other and said, "well, it's not a bad idea...".

I mean, if I actually was hurt, sick, or otherwise stuck on a trail - I don't think I'd feel bad about leaving any possible help or clues to give search and rescue a leg up on finding me.

Just a thought...

Trailbender
11-08-2010, 22:53
This is just another reminder of why it is important to learn basic survival skills and have a firestarter, ect, handy.

Erin
11-09-2010, 01:38
A very good emphasis that hikers should leave routes with friends and family. We are group hikers and and leave a cell list and route list/where we expect to camp list with family. We also designate one person a day who keeps a cell phone on for emergency contact purposes. Not necessary for most, but this group does have children/elderly parents.
My brother calls it the "I know where to start looking list..." joke. But not joke. It works.

Puppy
11-09-2010, 09:51
The search and rescue team I worked with advised this to many groups.

It is regularly advised to nursing homes to photograph residents footwear .... or take impressions (can use foil laid on top of a folded towel, then have the person stand on it to create the impression). A picture of the person also helps a lot.

Especially for alzheimers patients.

Hikers, kids, anyone that might get lost I guess....

Family members can really save a LOT of time and help lost folks by having a current photo and any accurate clues. Tracks are huge clues in many cases....so yes, those photos are great to have ....just make sure they are the right pair of boots/shoes the person has on at the time.

I have experienced several times where it was a shoe/boot print that got the resouces to the right area to find a lost person.