PDA

View Full Version : NB in May, 150 lbs, 5% body fat, cold sleeper. What bag do I need?

travisap
11-08-2010, 22:06
I'm doing a NB thru hike, starting in the middle of May (have to graduate from college first). I'm 150lbs, roughly 5% body fat and a fairly cold sleeper.

From what I've read and when I'm starting it sounds like I would need a 25-30 degree bag with a liner. Is that correct? Should I get a warmer bag and switch it out later or get a 40 degree bag, liner, and dress warm when I sleep? Thoughts?

Appalachian Tater
11-08-2010, 22:37
Rethink the northbound part if you want to start in May.

You don't say how tall you are but it sounds like you can't afford to lose a lot of weight and stay healthy. Try to get light equipment so you can carry more food.

Skidsteer
11-08-2010, 22:40
In May a 25-30 should be plenty. You can get by without the liner.

Johnny Thunder
11-08-2010, 22:42
the marmot 30 degree...hydrogen, i think...is really sweet and would be enough to get you through to katahdin if you finish in the normal season. a liner can extend the bag's rating. you probably won't NEED one, you might want one to cut down on the smell/washing and to use alone in the summer.

SectionHiker2011
11-08-2010, 23:04
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm planning to do a section hike of GA the week of Memorial Day and I've been wondering the same thing. I've read that using a 20 degree bag with a full zipper and a liner can allow you to regulate the temperature while keeping the bag a little cleaner. I'll be waiting to read the other responses.

Serial 07
11-08-2010, 23:21
i'm thinking a 20* bag would do you fine...the weight difference between that and a 30*, which are the coldest temps you'd probably see, is very minimal and being a cold sleeper this would give you a little extra...i'm a big fan of my montbell super stretch burrow bag...it's synthetic and very comfortable...

buz
11-09-2010, 11:07
I agree with other posters that if you are going to buy a nice, new bag, and are a cold sleeper, buy a 20 ish degree rated one over a 30 degree one. Weight difference is minimal, usually way warmer, and have warmer features, like draft collars, etc. Get a full zipper model, can unzip and use like quilt. Liner, try before you buy for real. I can't use them, flippy floppy side sleeper, wake up in knot, not fun.

Spend the dollars on an 800 fp bag, you will not regret it. Starting that time, you won't need much clothing insulation, so use the bag itself to stay warm at night, another reason for the 20 over a 30. Way easier to deal with too hot at night then the other way around. Good luck.

travisap
11-11-2010, 21:39
I'm looking into the marmot arroyo (30 degree, 800 fill, 32 oz) or the marmot hydrogen (30 degree, 850 fill, 24 oz). The hydrogen is $40 more expensive but probably worth the investment.

Would a 30 degree bag be sufficient for the entire hike or would I need to switch out the bag later on?

4eyedbuzzard
11-11-2010, 23:48
I'm looking into the marmot arroyo (30 degree, 800 fill, 32 oz) or the marmot hydrogen (30 degree, 850 fill, 24 oz). The hydrogen is $40 more expensive but probably worth the investment.

Would a 30 degree bag be sufficient for the entire hike or would I need to switch out the bag later on?
Depends upon when you finish and what mother nature does. And bag ratings are very subjective, even EN 13537. If the 30 rated bag keeps YOU warm enough at 30, then an early Sept finish, okay. Late Sept / early Oct, on the edge. Mid Oct, you'll likely be cold a few nights, but you could just wear your base layer, socks, etc. to compensate. Sleeping in a tent vs a shelter adds some warmth as well, so consider that into the equation. Past mid-Oct is a crapshoot for several reasons. 1) It complicates the Katahdin summit hike as you have camp outside Baxter. 2) The weather gets really unpredictable, days get even shorter, and Katahdin gets shut down more often. It's beautiful up here in NH and ME right now, with highs in the low 50's and lows in the upper 20's, but it could just as easily be 10 or 20 degrees colder and raining or snowing sideways. If you're going to finish before Baxter State Park closes to overnight camping (typically Oct 15), you'll probably be fine with the 30 -just add clothing if needed.