PDA

View Full Version : BushBuddy Windscreen

Chance09
11-09-2010, 10:08
Any bushbuddy users out there have a good recommendation for a lightweight windscreen? I'm not sure what would be tall enough to cover where the flames come out, yet still small enough to be practical.

unclemjm
11-17-2010, 14:21
I've not had the need for one in most normal conditions. I do carry some extra layers of heavy duty Al Foil for such a need if it arose.

JERMM
11-17-2010, 14:31
I've used stacked rocks, logs, foil, even my sit pad

VTATHiker
11-17-2010, 14:43
Have you tried making one out of oven-liner? I bet you could make one tall enough. I use one for my alcohol stove and it folds down flat. I've used the same one for years so it seems durable enough to last quite a while.

Chance09
11-18-2010, 15:24
I've not had the need for one in most normal conditions. I do carry some extra layers of heavy duty Al Foil for such a need if it arose.

My bushbuddy works fine on the AT where there is shelter, but it wasn't quite as efficent on the PCT in the wind. I want to take it on the CDT with me next year but I want a windscreen to save myself some time.

I've thought about using a cheap alluminum cookie sheet but i worry about the bulk if I do that. What is an oven liner?

thomas533
11-18-2010, 16:34
I made one for my DIY Quart Can Bushbuddy based off of Agfadoc's pictures over at HammockForums:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=7875&catid=member&imageuser=4120

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=7851&catid=member&imageuser=4120

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3h3yxwAO8

It is essentially two pieces of aluminum flashing that stack to give good vertical coverage. He used rivets and slots to stack the two pieces together. I did it just by making matching slots of both pieces. The two pieces, when collapsed fit inside the main can.

Farr Away
11-19-2010, 14:34
... I've thought about using a cheap alluminum cookie sheet but i worry about the bulk if I do that. What is an oven liner?

Basically a disposable aluminum cookie sheet. You can find them with the aluminum turkey roasting pans, possibly near the aluminum foil.

-FA

rip waverly
11-28-2010, 10:20
+1 on the foil tin cookie sheet.

300winmag
01-18-2011, 15:56
... get a Caldera Cone Tri Ti Inferno with a windscreen that fits ENTIRELY around your pot for max. heat conservation.

Oogie Boogie
01-18-2011, 16:57
To make a windscreen, I took some 14" wide aluminum flashing, and cut four 6" long strips then bent a 1/4" of each edge over to improve rigidity so that is actually doesn't deform in a breeze, then made six small rings out of some coat hanger wire and bound the edges together. There's about 1/8" between each panel, and in higher winds, I put a stake through the two lower outer rings to secure the screen in place. It works the charm, weighs very little and folds flat. Also quite versatile for numerous cooking situations and devices.

Spider
01-18-2011, 17:26
Second on the cooking pan idea. I just made one a few minutes actually and although I obviously haven't tried it out yet (I'll be trying it out tomorrow), it seems like it'll work great. Took about 5 minutes to make- used a cooking pan I bought for $1.99 and an exacto knife to cut it. Folds up nice and is very lightweight. Much better than spending the $15 for a model I saw at EMS which would do the same thing.