PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the heat off

sbhikes
11-09-2010, 11:27
It's gotten colder recently. We're keeping the heater turned off so we will be more used to the cold for our little section hike coming up over Thanksgiving. Anybody else do this?

Many Walks
11-09-2010, 12:13
For us it's a preferred lifestyle. We keep our home cooler in winter and burn wood just to take off the morning chill. In the summer we avoid air conditioning and go with fans when it's really hot. We've learned if we artificially temper our home it's harder to take the extreme temp swings outdoors. Since I'm outdoors most of the time, that's the temp I prefer to be conditioned to. When temps drop (say to 25 – 30 degrees) I'll be comfortable wearing a light jacket when most others are in parkas with hoods up and teeth chattering.

tuswm
11-09-2010, 12:16
I have yet to turn on the heat. But I have had a lot of fun with the chain saw.

Rocket Jones
11-09-2010, 12:39
We like it cool. We just turned on the heat this weekend when the nights got down into the 20's and the thermostat stays at 65 or 63 on all but the most frigid weeks.

Summer? If I have to be inside then I want the AC on.

sbhikes
11-09-2010, 13:56
We don't have air-conditioning, but we don't have summer, either. I suppose you can say we don't have winter, either. Just a little bit of autumn, a little bit of spring and fog the rest of the time.

Luddite
11-09-2010, 14:23
I think thats a good idea. I've been in Florida for the past 8 months so I'm gunna have a tough time transitioning. It was in the mid fifties here the other night and I was freezing!

Many Walks
11-09-2010, 14:46
It's funny. I lived in Iowa most of my life where winter temps can hit 80 degrees below 0 wind chills. We moved to California where people are all bundled up in their parkas, gloves and boots just freezing at 50, while I think it's a great day in my t-shirt and nylon hiking pants.

Marta
11-10-2010, 08:02
We keep the thermostat at 50-55 in the winter, and use a space heater in in the office and a fireplace in the family room to keep warm while sitting around. Does wonders for the budget, and I don't wake up with a stuffed-up nose and dry throat.

It does help make going outdoors easier. When we have guests, we turn the heat up to 60, and it feels like a sauna.

yari
11-10-2010, 08:19
I haven't turned the heat on yet either. It has been down to 55 inside and in the 20s during the night outsidea couple of times. I find that comfortable even when wearing just pajamas and my quilted flannel shirt. When it gets under 50 inside I will turn the heat on. I hate to pay money to the utility companies but, the landlord would get cranky if I froze his pipes.

John B
11-10-2010, 12:07
The New York Times had a great article about people who deliberately use NO heat in the winter. We're not talking about people who live in Key West, either, but people in NYC and other northern locations. Check out the article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/garden/21cold.html

At my house, I turn off the heat during the day and turn it on to 55 from 6-9pm.

Blissful
11-10-2010, 12:47
I use heat indoors. That's what my down jacket and 15 degree bag is for outdoors. :)

tiptoe
11-10-2010, 13:45
I turned on the heat the first weekend in November, when my New York City based daughter and granddaughter were visiting (in nyc, the apartments are like the AT in summer). Since then, I've used it sparingly, with a fire in the woodstove in the evenings. AC in summer? Never!

10-K
11-10-2010, 14:03
We definitely use our heater (gas heat pump) and stay warm in the winter - we stay around 73*.

I haven't found that it impacts my ability to hike in cold weather by being warm inside the house. :)

Highway Man
11-10-2010, 19:10
My gas heater is already on for the mornings and evenings. The temperature is set up at 67*F, or maybe a little more in really cold days. I just can't afford getting caught in cold to lose some productivity.

yari
11-10-2010, 19:26
The New York Times had a great article about people who deliberately use NO heat in the winter. We're not talking about people who live in Key West, either, but people in NYC and other northern locations. Check out the article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/garden/21cold.html

At my house, I turn off the heat during the day and turn it on to 55 from 6-9pm.

Thanks for linking the article, I bookmarked it. I have a few family members and friends who are going to have to read that. They think I am the only cold loving crazy person. :D