PDA

View Full Version : Solar Power on Trail

art gypsy
11-09-2010, 12:50
I am a photographer preparing for my 2011 NOBO thru hike and am researching solar power for my camera batteries and cellphone. Any advice would be appreciated. I see that REI has some different models and I am not sure which one will work best. Ideally, it would be nice if everything could use USB ports to charge. I have a Nikon D300 and a Nokia cellphone.

StorminMormon
11-09-2010, 13:11
This is the one I use

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-Sc-2800-Solar-Battery-Charger/dp/B003E6J6EI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1289322124&sr=8-4

It will charge a cell phone about 2 times. As far as a camera battery...not sure, haven't had to do that yet. The reason I go this is because it's small and it has a 2800 mAh (milli-amp hour) battery attached. 2800 is quite a bit when we're talking small devices.

Now, the ones at REI are 1600 mAh or less. They might have some different adapters, and that might make all the difference. A couple of them are designed to be rugged and withstand a drop or two, but if you're careful the one from Amazon will do just fine. And by careful I mean, don't step on it or drop it in the river or something like that.

BrianLe
11-09-2010, 15:07
I carried a solar charger for most of the PCT, but didn't even consider one on the AT, and I'm glad that I didn't. For a thru-hiker, I think you're likely to get too little charge relative to the overall weight plus cost plus hassle factor.

I suggest instead --- for the AT --- that you carry extra batteries for whatever devices, and charge them all up in hostels, motels, restaurants, whereever there's an electric plug that you can get permission to use. There are so very many ways to get off trail to resupply along the AT that I think on average I carried maybe 3 days of food, and recharged my smartphone most times I got off trail. That was plenty.

BrianLe
11-09-2010, 15:12
You might also see if you can contact Rooster, who hiked the AT this year with a big honking camera (and no solar charger). Rooster is a professional photographer.

You can look at his stuff and, I think, contact him via his website,
http://benbenvieblog.com/category/personal/
Scroll down a bit on that page and there are a lot of quite nice AT photos from this year too.

Torch09
11-09-2010, 15:15
I carried a solar charger for most of the PCT, but didn't even consider one on the AT, and I'm glad that I didn't. For a thru-hiker, I think you're likely to get too little charge relative to the overall weight plus cost plus hassle factor.

I suggest instead --- for the AT --- that you carry extra batteries for whatever devices, and charge them all up in hostels, motels, restaurants, whereever there's an electric plug that you can get permission to use. There are so very many ways to get off trail to resupply along the AT that I think on average I carried maybe 3 days of food, and recharged my smartphone most times I got off trail. That was plenty.

Agreed. Unless you're hiking in the winter, there is too much tree cover. Maybe someone should invent a portable turbine to put in streams to generate power...

Luddite
11-09-2010, 15:22
Maybe someone should invent a portable turbine to put in streams to generate power...

Hey, thats a cool idea.

Aren't you worried about ruining that awesome camera? You're gunna get some great pictures.

Torch09
11-09-2010, 15:33
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=452

how about this?

JaxHiker
11-09-2010, 16:28
I purchased a Solio Rocksta for my last hike. Having it clipped to my pack didn't work. It's very picky and you'd have to sit in one place for hours for it to charge properly. Of course past experience shows I won't be setting up camp with enough light left to charge it when I stop.

Even when it was fully charged it didn't have enough juice to completely recharge my Blackberry. I guess it did work as far as giving me enough juice to continue using the phone as long as I kept it off when not in use. Suffice to say it didn't work out as I'd hoped.

mweinstone
11-09-2010, 21:26
i tripple double dare anyone to google my newest solar possesion. by far the cutting edge of sol.its uses are wide ranged and it simply is the lightest strongest best cause my gear rules and oneday may attract a mate.

company:blackburn
my discoverys name: flea usb solar 5v std

just the beggining of cool solar power for us.

JaxHiker
11-09-2010, 23:37
That's nice, I guess...if you're looking for a light and not a charger.

mkmangold
11-09-2010, 23:44
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=452

how about this?

Intriguing but heavy. Maybe a light-weight version of this could be made: a titanium piston pounding up and down on a titanium pole driving a small generator comes to mind. Are there light batteries available?

mweinstone
11-10-2010, 02:27
so . you know nothing. your knowlage is so small when put in a petry dish it cannot be divided. so small the hubble telescope cant see it. lol. now. some facts.

their are no batteries. it cant plug into a wall. it has no fear. and it wont stop charging all your usb compatable devises till their all not dead. it dosnt think. it has no feelings. its a machine. and it was sent back from the future to kill your battery needs.

strollingalong
11-10-2010, 02:36
i heard some trees have sockets these days

mweinstone
11-10-2010, 02:56
maby you werent listening. i can charge my phone. i can charge my tent light. i can charge unbeliveably beautiful womens uncharged devises and all with my flea!

strollingalong
11-10-2010, 02:58
you're more irritating when drunk

Torch09
11-10-2010, 06:44
you're more irritating when drunk

How can you tell? :-?

mmais68569
11-10-2010, 14:57
This is what I bought & use for my cell phone. What it is , is a solar charged battery that hooks to your phone when the battery goes dead. You the have 100 talk min. It recharges FAST & stays charged. I would recommend it to anyone that wants a solar charger. And it is small & light weight.

Mike
(Mr. Mean)

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/solar.html?OVRAW=solar%20cell%20phone%20charger%20 circuit&OVKEY=solar%20cell%20phone%20charger&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=16573367511&OVKWID=229012658511

Johnny Thunder
11-10-2010, 20:06
plus one for the extra batteries. i don't think i saw a single solar charger after damascus. most people by then realized that they were never going to take zero days in the woods (and it takes almost a full day with each model to recharge since they have a habit of resetting when the light varies). save the hundred bucks and by some spare batteries off ebay...and maybe a charger that does them all off usb so you only have to carry one for your phone/camera.

4eyedbuzzard
11-10-2010, 23:10
How can you tell [he's drunk]? :-?
His spelling improves and he is slightly less incoherent.