PDA

View Full Version : New Day Pack

Doc Mike
11-09-2010, 14:54
What would be the best day pack, that could also be used as a carry on(planes) while traveling. Weight is not that important but durability and size are very important.

Thanks in advance
Doc Mike

burntoutphilosopher
11-09-2010, 19:39
ULA CDT ?

or perhaps a camino if you like that style.

after owning 2 ospreys and an REI flash, my ULA circuit has caused me to believe in their company's products. incredibly quality, functionality etc. and made in Utah not china.

burntoutphilosopher
11-09-2010, 19:40
oh i didn't see, if weight doesn't matter and it's all about durability, some of the ospreys out there are downright bomb proof. gotta run to the grocery, but i can look for the specific osprey i am thinkign of's name.

Luddite
11-09-2010, 19:47
ULA CDT ?

The CDT would be a great day pack. People Thru hike with that pack and it weighs just over a pound.

http://ula-equipment.com/cdt.asp

If weight isn't an issue I would get a Gregory day pack. They make the most comfortable pack I've ever tried and they are extremely durable.

http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/92/torre-33

Johnny Thunder
11-09-2010, 19:54
i have an osprey talon that is pretty nice. there're a whole host of sizes in that line so you can't go wrong there.

BARKEATER
11-09-2010, 19:56
I just got a Mystery Ranch, Snapdragon day pack, this pack looks great! made in USA. I plan on useing it for travel & day hikes

mykl
11-11-2010, 02:37
i have an osprey talon that is pretty nice. there're a whole host of sizes in that line so you can't go wrong there.

I agree. I have the Talon 44. It's good/light for day hikes and big enough to pack for a few nights. I've been beating one up for a few months now and really like it. Very comfortable.

Doc Mike
11-11-2010, 09:37
Thanks for the excellent suggestions so far.
Will all the above metioned pack fit in the overhead compartment on a plane?

Doc Mike

jabber
11-14-2010, 12:30
I use a Osprey Manta 25 for day hikes, very comfortable & well made. It would be great for travel also, no problem fitting in an overhead.

l8r,
Jab.

burntoutphilosopher
11-14-2010, 12:55
for the overhead hanger compartment, the CDT or some other frameless pack will fit a lot easier ...

but for carrying long term the hard frame of the osprey talon will be better. almost gurantee that talon will not feet in the overhead bin... never tried though.

Johnny Thunder
11-14-2010, 20:19
for the overhead hanger compartment, the CDT or some other frameless pack will fit a lot easier ...

but for carrying long term the hard frame of the osprey talon will be better. almost gurantee that talon will not feet in the overhead bin... never tried though.

all the talon series will fit in the overhead. my ula circuit fits in the overhead. my girlfriend's gregory jade fits. they're pretty deep.

my talon 22 fits sideways under the seat in front of me.

I travel a lot.

Bucherm
11-15-2010, 03:18
I use a Marmot Aspen 35.