PDA

View Full Version : Big Cypress Report

CosmicMiami
11-09-2010, 23:10
I guess I got bad intel. Was told that the water in the BC wasn't that high. Well I guess that is a matter of interpretation :confused:. Went out today for a quick overnighter and ended up hiking out in the dark as conditions were deplorable.

Started at Oasis and headed north. 7 mile camp was dry but everything else was pretty much underwater and/or mud. Ended up hiking out in the dark as I was a muddy mess and didn't want to deal with the mud in all my gear. I guess if I was forced to on a thru-hike it would be different but that wasn't what I was doing.

Bummer. I was looking forward to spending the night in the woods with cooler weather.

erichkopp
11-12-2010, 11:41
North of Alligator Alley was bone dry a few weeks ago, and I'd imagine south would be fairly dry for a ways.

mistiaggie
12-12-2010, 00:12
Any updates of late?

MedicineMan
12-12-2010, 00:37
When I left Oasis within the first 2-3 miles I watched a snake swim over the trail! Before that down a small embankment 2 8 footers were sunning! Now on what other trail system in the US can you get that! Its a beautiful place the Big Cypress but its all perspective....I was told too that it was dry HA!

stumpknocker
12-12-2010, 07:43
When I left Oasis within the first 2-3 miles I watched a snake swim over the trail! Before that down a small embankment 2 8 footers were sunning! Now on what other trail system in the US can you get that! Its a beautiful place the Big Cypress but its all perspective....I was told too that it was dry HA!

Big Cypress is still one of the highlights of all my walkin'. :)

elvisandedgar
12-12-2010, 12:23
I am planning a trip a trip between Christmas and New Years and was told the water is knee to waist deep. How far in did you go? We are planning on trying to do the whole 30 miles if we find someone to shuttle us. I have been getting my gear ready hoping it isn't to cold. last year we did about12 miles and it got pretty cold the last night which was over New Years. I am wondering do you guys wear orange for hunting season or not worry about it? We didn't see anyone except a few other hikers so thinking it is not that big of an issue. Thanks and if anyone knows of someone to shuttle two people we would be willing to pay for gas and something for your time.

lilricky
12-13-2010, 08:24
According to state law, if you are hiking in state forests during hunting season, in a hunting approved area, you must wear at least 50 square inches of blaze orange. But even if your not in a state forest, I would recommend wearing it anyway. Most hunters down here seem to take lots of beer and alcohol, at least from all the beer cans and liquor bottles left strewn around. And anything to reinforce that you're not a deer is a good thing.

elvisandedgar
12-13-2010, 20:31
Talked to the ranger at Oasis today and they said north of seven mile camp is dry, south is under water.

Captain Blue
12-14-2010, 17:07
I hiked the 6 mile Adventure Trail in Collier-Seminole State park yesterday which is part of the Big Cypress Swamp. It was very dry. Only a little mud. The trail map said to expect ankle deep water in spots. None encountered. Read about the trail here: http://www.floridahikes.com/collierseminole