PDA

View Full Version : Walmart poles

swjohnsey
11-10-2010, 04:36
Just got a pair of Black Diamond Mountain Trail. Picked them over Leki because of reports on the locking mechanism. Turns out the Walmart poles have identical mechanism, looks like they could be made by the same company and at about $30/pair the prices is right. They even come with the rubber cup over the carbide tip. They are sold singley so you can buy just one.

Surplusman
11-10-2010, 06:25
I have a pair of ChinaMart poles, too, and they do fine for walking around town and on rail trails. But I would never take them on backpacking excursions where I may have to put my full weight on them, no matter what locking mechanism they use. For such outings I have a pair of cut down one piece Army ski poles fitted with rubber tips and some handles I recycled from an older cheap pair of poles I had. They work fine and I would have no problem putting my full weight on them.

mmais68569
11-10-2010, 07:33
I used a pair of the cheap Walmart poles & worked great for 6-7 mos. then one of the locks stopped working. But if you look at the back of the cardboard display card when you bought them they have a "LIFETIME " guarantee.So I boxed mine up sent them back & guess what??

:-? :mad:

About 3 weeks later a new set of poles so the Co. ( not Walmart) does stand behind their product.

Mike :banana

canoehead
11-10-2010, 07:55
you get what you pay for..

daddytwosticks
11-10-2010, 08:21
I first used these cheap poles to see if I would like the idea of using walking sticks. They did wonders for my knees. I invested in a better quality set and have been using them for around four years now. The Walmart poles (singly) are used for short walks in the woods around our house. :)

Sierra Echo
11-10-2010, 08:39
you can get trekking poles at some wally worlds in pairs.
The don't lock well and will start collapsing as you walk sometimes.
so my dad put a few screws in them and now they work fine.

gunner76
11-10-2010, 09:04
I have several sets of the blue wally world poles that the familyn uses and they have held up fine (I weight 275)

MkBibble
11-10-2010, 11:32
I first used these cheap poles to see if I would like the idea of using walking sticks. They did wonders for my knees. I invested in a better quality set and have been using them for around four years now.

I also bought Walmart poles to see if I actually liked using poles. They made a world of difference for my knees; I have about 200 miles on them and they are just fine.

BUT, after using a set of Leki poles, I can say that they are vastly superior, lighter, more comfortable, and more solid.

on_the_GOEZ
11-10-2010, 11:45
I used Wally's pole for the LT last fall, until they were stolen. THey WORKED but they wernt Leki or BD. Cork grips and light weight poles can make all of the difference. But being as im a college student $30 seems about juuuuuuust right...

Bags4266
11-10-2010, 11:57
At my Wally World there $18.88. I also have a set of cheapies from Dicks Sporting Goods. 1400 plus miles and no problems. I was going to buy Leki but why? If it ain't broke...

rjhoffmann88
11-10-2010, 12:10
I bought a cheap pair of Wal-Mart poles for a shakedown hike with my newly purchased Tarptent Suall 2. Within 20 minutes of hiking some of the plastic had cracked and after a 15 mile day both of the baskets had fallen off. I wish I would have put that $18 toward a pair of quality poles.

JEBjr
11-10-2010, 12:28
I thought a pair of poles might be nice when I started using a tarp for my shelter. The inexpensive pair from the giant national chain retailer have served me well. After all the complaints I've read, I try to take care of them. No major problems yet. I've hiked with several people this summer who have had to go with one pole after their fancy non inexpensive poles have malfunctioned.

Boothill
11-10-2010, 12:31
i bought my very first pair of trekking poles at the beginning of this summer just to see if i would like them, i paid $18 for a cheap blue pair at wally world and they worked just great.....till i slammed one in the car door a couple of weeks ago

i would guess i put roughly 250 miles on that set this summer and never had any with them at all, they worked great

so i replaced them with another pair from wally world, the kind the OP is talking about with the flick locks ($23) and have had them out 6-7 times and they are working just fine with no problems

boot

Hobbler
11-10-2010, 13:32
First of all, there is no pole designed that will support the full weight of all individuals under all stress conditions of the trail. They are designed as an aid to relieve the body from in-balance and to take some of the weight related stress off of your joints which, when used properly, they do.

Yes, I do subscribe “somewhat” to the adage that you do get what you pay for...Leki Poles are no doubt the top of the line and have a warranty unsurpassed in the industry. However strong and stout, they also can break or might have their own issues. The cost of Lekis are in the range of 4 times the Wally Poles and it is questionable of their service value. That said, I have also tried a lent pair of Lekis and find them of quality and a tad more stable.

However, I own 2 sets of Wally Poles with the flick locks and find them totally satisfactory for most trail conditions and haven't broken one “Yet” If they slip, tighten the set screw a tad and that usually does the trick. If you do bend or break one the fortunate thing is that you can find Wal/Marts in or near every large trail town. For the modest cost of replacement, they are a functional throw-away and you don't have to go the outfitter route to have your warranty honored. There are many outfitters for Leki replacement along the way also. Either way, if broken, you will undoubtedly spend the walk somewhere with only one serviceable pole.

Maybe I just take more care of how I step and that is probably due to me being a section hiker with a variable schedule with no dead-line and being slower than most of the crowd. They work well for me, but, a Thru Hiker might view the warranty/replacement cost situation a little differently though.

davidgen87
11-10-2010, 15:10
I made it from GA - NY with my walmart poles. If you're careful they will last awhile. I replaced them with a pair of Leki ultralights which I love.

flemdawg1
11-11-2010, 12:59
I also own a pair of the WalMart flick-lock poles and have used them for 3 years. I broke one last summer when a slip on a wet rock caused me to put 100% of my 230 lbs on it. For $13 I didn't cry about it. Finished the hike w/ one and went and bought another the next week.

For those complaining of broken baskets, the lekis break pretty often too. Its just plastic on both.

Iceaxe
11-11-2010, 13:29
I've got 5,600 miles on a pair of Leki Makalu's with corklite grips. The tips wear out and need to be replaced approx. every 1000-1200 miles. The ground wears the plastic and steel ring away until the carbide slip out. After the first 2,665 miles I noticed a crack in one of the lower sections. Leki replaced it free of charge.
The twist locks are for the most part reliable. I have found the left pole to come loose more often than the right. I think the slight twisting action on the left tends to unscrew the mechanism.
The locks also tend to slip shortly after I begin to hike over snow. I think the cold travels up the aluminum and cools/shrinks the locks plastic parts.
Anyhow I always have to retighten the poles after contacting snow or cold water then they hold just fine.
The Leki poles have been fine overall but I just wanted to let folks know they are by no means perfect or bombproof. I have never had one fail completely but have met other hikers that did. Leki always sents replacement parts to them on the trail for free though.
As far as the tips wearing out this can be a bit of a hassle if you use your pole to set up your tent/tarp. With the carbide gone there is no tip to thread into the grommet. This was not a fatal flaw, many hikers just poke a twig in the end of the worn out tip each night as a remedy until new tips can be had.
Anyhow, I like my Leki's and feel I have gotten a fair value: $110 for 5,600 miles and they are still going. However I have also spent $75 on replacement tips that Leki does not guarantee since they are a "wear" item. So to be honest I have spent $180 dollars to have leki poles for the last 5,600 miles.
I also have pairs of recycled cut down ski poles I used in the past. They are lighter than the Leki's but they don't collapse down which is helpful for adjusting shelter heights and compactibility when hitching in to resupply.
Anyways I ain't here to sell you one way or the other on Walmart, Leki, or ski poles.. just wanted to add an honest perspective on the overall cost and issues of the "pricier" trekking poles.
http://postholer.com/journal/images/1100/full-568-15867-IMG_1788_1_.jpg

Hikerhead
11-12-2010, 13:13
I bought a walmart pole last week to go with one I already have. Haven't been on the trail with them yet. They look ok but we'll see.

sumnere
11-12-2010, 15:50
Everything breaks.

skinewmexico
11-12-2010, 19:38
My Leki's seem to have vanished, so I had to buy a pair from Wallyworld since I was in a bind. I can't tell any difference. I bet if you painted both brands black, no one else could either. I'll probably end up with another pair of Leki's, but just because I want cushioning, and can get them on a pro form.

Hikerhead
11-12-2010, 19:50
My Leki's seem to have vanished, so I had to buy a pair from Wallyworld since I was in a bind. I can't tell any difference. I bet if you painted both brands black, no one else could either. I'll probably end up with another pair of Leki's, but just because I want cushioning, and can get them on a pro form.

Paint your Leki's red and no one will take them....just a thought.

darkage
11-12-2010, 20:08
Can't tell the difference?? Its like carrying a boulder in your arms vs a pebble .... walmart poles are good if you wanna carry a boulder and have them fail when you need them the most. And yes, i talk from experiance ...

wirerat123
11-24-2010, 16:37
My Wal Mart Swiss Gear poles have been with me for 7 years, I have had to fix the twist locks on them a couple of times, but it's easy to fix. I even still have some of the metal tip still on both of them.

Baskets were gone within the first year. But other than that, they have been durable, reliable, and wonderful.

I have since upgraded to a better set of poles, but my Wal Mart poles to this day get handed out to people joining us on hikes.

I'm getting a pair of the new flick lock versions soon as backups.

People complain about them being cheap and problem proned, but there is also a lot of people who have had them for a very long time. I've also heard of high end Lekis breaking on the trail more than a few times as well.

Wal Mart poles are just fine. And if your arms are delicate enough to not be able to handle the slight extra weight of these poles, then a gym should be a major consideration. For the money, they are the best bang for the buck in the backpacking world.

Sierra Echo
11-27-2010, 16:51
I'm considering investing in a better pair of poles then my walmart. Well I guess I would have to say more expensive pair. Can someone explain to me how one set of poles is better then another set?

Elder
11-27-2010, 18:41
Quality of materials,
Design,
Strenght.
Warranty...
Weight for strength,
ease of use,
trailside repair when needed...

* see Leki.com

YES, I am the Leki rep....Thank you :D

Sierra Echo
11-27-2010, 18:53
Quality of materials,
Design,
Strenght.
Warranty...
Weight for strength,
ease of use,
trailside repair when needed...

* see Leki.com

YES, I am the Leki rep....Thank you :D

yeah but which leki set do you recommend? there are quite a few!

4eyedbuzzard
11-27-2010, 20:04
yeah but which leki set do you recommend? there are quite a few!
They are all fairly similar - just poles after all. But here's the bigger differences

Material of poles. Cheap poles like WM will be of a 6000 series aluminum alloy, while better poles like Leki's, Black Diamond, Komperdell, etc will generally be of 7000 series alloy which is lighter for a given strength. There is also carbon composite, aka graphite, which is lighter. Aluminum vs carbon is hotly debated. Both will do the job.

Material of grips. Cheaper poles will generally have thermoplastic injection moled grips. They aren't as nice on the hands as the better materials used on more expensive poles, such as cork and synthetic rubber mixes, etc.

Anti-shock. Many poles come with a spring built into the locking mechanism of the lower pole section. Proponents say they soften the impact and are less fatiguing to elbows and wrists. Some say they are worse as they don't like any give when they plant the pole. Again, hotly debated.

Flip lock vs twist. The flip locks adjust quicker and easier especially with gloves on. But again, it isn't a huge issue except to a few.

Price. You probably have this figured out already. Cheap poles can be had for as little as $20 or less per pair. Higher end Aluminum $80 to $140. Carbon usually $150 to $200. But check around for sales. I just bought a pair of Leki Makalu's with Corklite grips for $62 on Sierra Trading Post (they're sold out now).

Happy hunting

Sierra Echo
11-27-2010, 20:11
They are all fairly similar - just poles after all. But here's the bigger differences

Material of poles. Cheap poles like WM will be of a 6000 series aluminum alloy, while better poles like Leki's, Black Diamond, Komperdell, etc will generally be of 7000 series alloy which is lighter for a given strength. There is also carbon composite, aka graphite, which is lighter. Aluminum vs carbon is hotly debated. Both will do the job.

Material of grips. Cheaper poles will generally have thermoplastic injection moled grips. They aren't as nice on the hands as the better materials used on more expensive poles, such as cork and synthetic rubber mixes, etc.

Anti-shock. Many poles come with a spring built into the locking mechanism of the lower pole section. Proponents say they soften the impact and are less fatiguing to elbows and wrists. Some say they are worse as they don't like any give when they plant the pole. Again, hotly debated.

Flip lock vs twist. The flip locks adjust quicker and easier especially with gloves on. But again, it isn't a huge issue except to a few.

Price. You probably have this figured out already. Cheap poles can be had for as little as $20 or less per pair. Higher end Aluminum $80 to $140. Carbon usually $150 to $200. But check around for sales. I just bought a pair of Leki Makalu's with Corklite grips for $62 on Sierra Trading Post (they're sold out now).

Happy hunting

Thanks buzzard!
I don't think I would like the shock absorber too. I dont need any give going down hills!
my wally world poles are the kind that have the twist lock. they have also an untwist while you walk mechicanism! LOL my dad put some screws in them. So I would believe that i would prefer a flip lock.
This has been a really good trekking pole education for me, and I thank you for taking the time to post this! :)

srestrepo
11-27-2010, 20:29
hey no offense and pardon my french, but i got a friend icing his ass right now because he took a digger on some ice on mt greylock in mass. no thanks to the crappy walmart poles that he was using to support help him along. i'm twice his weight and my black diamond trail ergo's with the cork handles experienced none of the above.

woodstock64
02-28-2011, 08:02
I paid $29.95 for a pair of Alpine Design trekking poles at Sports Authority. The have twist locking mechanisms, carbide tips, shock absorbers (I actually prefer the slight give which BTW, can be turned off when and if you choose). Mine also have cork handles. Are they the best...no, but they have served me well over the last two years and while I have been tempted to purchase higher end poles, I always find myself allocating that money elsewhere as these poles have caused me NO problems to date.

gunner76
03-01-2011, 21:19
I have been using a set of the blue walmart poles with the microscopic compass in the handle for about 2 years. I weight 275-290 lbs and my poles have not broken. The twisting locking mechanizem broke so I used small self tapping screws to lock the poles open. Only drawback is that I can not collaspe them. Good news is that that I don't have to adjust them before each hike anymore. For $20 I consider them a bargin and expect to get several more years of use out of them. I keep them in the back of my van so I always know where they are.

blackbird04217
03-01-2011, 22:19
The walmart poles did great for me. Never had a problems with the locks, unless trying to close the pole down, and they certainly had my weight + pack weight + momentum pushed down on them several times. Only problem I ran into was tip wear, which will happen with any poles. I preferred the plastic/rubbery grip over the cork though - but that's just personal preference at that point.

About 1300m into the trip one of my poles took a ride downstream. : ( I spent half a day in the water looking for it, but it vanished. Ended up using a very solid stick "the staff" from there on out... Did the job just as well, but took a solid week or more for my arm to get in shape using it. I did miss the 'tip' afterwards, but the staff worked when I needed it most.

Papa D
03-01-2011, 22:30
please study the high cost of low price and stay away from walmart - they are awful - find you some poles on e-bay or from a better company - support a local outdoor shop if you can, hell, send me a message if you need some poles and I'll send you some for cheap --old ski poles maybe - I have 5 or 6 pairs of trekking poles too - really - please don't support walmart - I've gone to just one single pole anyway - that seems to be plenty ....

SunnyWalker
03-02-2011, 23:45
I have found carbon ski poles at the local Thrift Stores. They cost about $2.50 for the pair. -Chaplain

SunnyWalker
03-03-2011, 22:56
I also have a pair of Walmart Hiking poles. Work just fine. Never noticed the weight. Used them on various trails including AT and CDT (not thru hikes). Like others, I was dubious about them at first, but they sure helped me going downhill especially. I'll probably keep using the carbon ski poles too. Nice. I don't want to put out say $100.00+ for these. I'll keep using what I have (Walmart and carbon ski poles found at a thrift store.

JaxHiker
03-05-2011, 17:09
Having recently replaced my cheapo Wal-Mart poles with Black Diamond Trail Shock poles I can attest that there's a world of difference. If nothing else the comfort of the handles and wrist straps is a thousand times better with the BDs. The Flicklock mechanism is awesome. I really love these poles and wish I would've upgraded many miles ago.

BD Trail Shock Review (http://idratherbehiking.com/black-diamond-trail-shocks/)

Skid.
03-17-2011, 07:56
Don't overlook snowshoeing poles. I have a set of adjustable Tubbs that came free with my showshoes, and they have worked fine as trekking poles for the past three years, still going strong.

gunner76
03-26-2011, 21:32
support a local outdoor shop if you can

I would love to but the nearest one is a 2 hour drive vrs 20 minutes for WallyWord. There is a Dicks Sporting goods 1 hour away but they just have a larger selction of lower end camping gear like WallyWorld.

When I travel I try to stop of at places like REI but even then I can only get to one maybe twice a year.

BigHodag
03-27-2011, 12:30
I too use a pair of Outdoor Products flick-lock poles that I bought at Walmart. Have used a single ski pole for many years as that is what I used for man tracking during my search & rescue years.

I carry a cheap dollar store knife with a cross-point screwdriver tool for tightening the flick locks from time to time.

I've been real happy with the Outdoor Products brand poles. One does have a slight bend now from arresting a fall, but it still collapses and locks tight. I bought a second set so I can outfit two family members with a set of 2 or four family with 1 each.

I note that many older Outdoor Products gear is no longer being stocked by Walmart. May be time to stock up or buy spares.

swjohnsey
03-27-2011, 17:29
Yep, the flip lock poles are disappearing from Walmart replaced by a twist lock pole sold in pairs.

fredmugs
03-28-2011, 23:30
I bought these a couple of months and are happy with them so far but have only used them locally where the ups and downs are not as harsh.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,3557W_Komperdell-Trekking-Poles-Pair-Contour-Foam-Anti-Shock.html

I needed to replace my Lekis's that had bent really badly when I tried to use them to prevent myself from taking a header into a swamp. I could blame the poles and say Leki poles are crap but we all know that's not true. Anything will break if you abuse it enough.

darkage
03-29-2011, 00:46
yup, i use http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/trail-trekking-pole ... love um.

st0neski
11-09-2011, 16:49
I have a paid of walmart poles and they have been going strong for a while. Can't beat them for $12

July
11-09-2011, 19:34
I have been most pleased w/my Gossamer Gear Poles. General treking... fast packing.

jdg
03-14-2012, 17:18
the blue walmrt poles for me work fine and have held up quite well for over a year now

gunner76
03-18-2012, 20:35
After 2 years my blue wallyworld poles broke. Bought a new set for $20, only now they are red.

louisb
03-18-2012, 22:20
I picked up a set but I decided against using them mainly because the grip didn't fit my big hands right and I found them noisy. Mostly just personal preference stuff. My puppy does love to chew on the handles though. :)

--louis

turtle fast
03-19-2012, 14:03
Walmart has new poles in some stores, these have the outside locking mechanisms...was $23. Anyone else have or seen them yet?

MuddyWaters
04-15-2012, 10:04
the walmart poles are actually reasonably light, the grips are just HEAVY. If you replace the grips with a lighter grips, you can have a set of poles that weighs 13 oz, not 22 oz. Tremendous difference. and unbeatable deal for the $

Khike
04-15-2012, 10:36
My hiking partner uses Wally poles and has had the same pair for 6 yrs now. He has the red ones. Works fine for him on any terrain, easy or treacherous-treachorous? Kevin

Spokes
04-15-2012, 11:18
Wally World poles may last but other products may not....

Many times Walmart is able to sell "brands for less" because companies use cheaper components in their stuff sold at Walmart. I discovered that years ago after buying a Hunter fan that just didn't last as long and needed parts. When the Hunter fan rep asked for the model and serial number they came back immediately and said. "Did you buy that at WalMart? " then clued me in on the dirty little secret.

Spokes
04-15-2012, 11:24
I saw Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Hiking Poles at my local Costco for about $27

http://www.cascademountaintech.com/Articles.asp?ID=253

Wise Old Owl
04-15-2012, 11:29
I picked up a set but I decided against using them mainly because the grip didn't fit my big hands right and I found them noisy. Mostly just personal preference stuff. My puppy does love to chew on the handles though. :)

--louis

When the cam isn't set right and its a three section pole the bottom rattles - you extend it, lock it, and rattles disappear.

Spokes- I too saw that firsthand when Walmart destroyed the "Rubbermaid" brand - it is no longer made in the USA.

There is nothing wrong with Walmart trek poles... but someday you will want something better made - lighter - and better tipped.

SunnyWalker
04-23-2012, 00:27
This week I am going back to a thrift store in Amarillo where I saw carbon ski poles for $2.50 I will pick them up and report back here if you are interested. Fun, fun.

ATSeamstress
04-23-2012, 12:16
I've used the Outdoor Walmart poles for the last 450 miles with no problems.

louisb
04-23-2012, 13:18
I did find they work great for holding up one side of my hammock tarp.

--louis

actionpocket
05-09-2012, 00:44
I'm looking into these. No sticks on the ground where I am going.

GrandCanyonWildflowr
05-26-2012, 10:51
I had a pair from WalMart and the locking mechanism broke, but my friend's husband said it was an easy fix. Took a $20 pair from Target on our section hike and shared with a friend (she didn't want the weight, but soon learned the value). They were great for our 85 miles and still holding up. I like the springy shock absorber action better than the ski poles I used for the Grand Canyon. However, when I picked up a pair of the higher end poles at Big 5, they are much lighter.
Unlike most people on this site, I'm on a budget. My junior tent from WalMart has held up well and is lighter than many UL options and was only $20. And I'm all excited about an aluminum mug I found there for $2.
I would prefer to purchase items made in the USA (are there any?) from a company that treats their employees well.
I appreciate reading the input, especially of those who have used both. Take my friend's advice and use some type of poles!

christoba123
03-24-2013, 16:18
Walmart poles; what could go wrong?

Grinder
03-24-2013, 17:03
I had a set of Leki's that I left on the trail (BOO BOO) in Maine.
I bought a set of the twist lock type at nearest WalMart. Two years later, they're holding up just fine.
I will admit that the grips and straps are not as good (comfortable) as the Lekis. Especially the strap adjustment.
But, fot the cost, I have no complaints. Fully functional.

pgustaf249
03-30-2013, 22:07
When looking for poles I tried the Walmart version right there in the store and found them not to hold the set length, so I didn't get them. The same happened at Sports Authority. I ended up with Leki.

Trebor66
05-08-2013, 22:20
I've been using the REI Traverse poles with cork handles for a few years and have a few hundred miles on them. I couldn't be happier with the poles, their weight, durability, or price. If not mistaken they are made by Komperdale.

philbio75
01-01-2015, 00:01
I bought a set from WM to start with. After realizing how much I liked using them I decided I would invest in Leki's when the elcheapos laid down.
That was 4 years and many miles ago and im still using the same wal mart poles. I use them every time I hike not only for walking but also with my Six Moon.

lbbrown
01-01-2015, 10:16
One word.........PACERPOLE!

AO2134
01-01-2015, 16:27
I bought a pair of $18 trekking poles at walmart. I have hiked 400+ miles with them. I use them in my tent. I took an awful fall and bent them. After the fall, I bent them back. They are still going strong with no problems. I love the price and longevity of my poles.

Singto
05-24-2015, 04:14
Some people are far too concerned about where they buy something instead of taking a look at what they are buying. I am not opposed to paying for a couple percent higher from time to time to support a specialty or mom and pop shop but to throw my money away to support outright uncompetitiveness or gouging is stupid.

Traveler
05-24-2015, 06:29
I have looked at the Walmart products as compared to outfitters and found there is a considerable difference in most of the lower priced poles than what outfitters carry. Grip material can be very different, even similar looking material like cork can have a lot of differences when cost is removed from the product to make it less expensive. The ergonomic fit of the grip can be very important along with the material and adjustability of the wrist strapping. I have also seen inexpensive poles unable to keep rubber tips on due to sizing differences from standard tip diameters.

At the higher end of trekking poles in Walmart, there are the $230 set of carbon fibre poles, $130 flick lock Black Diamond poles, and $110 Komperdell twist lock poles. The higher end poles at Walmart have few differences from similar brand poles found at outfitters, the $14.00 pole have many. It really depends on what you are looking for. If someone has found a pitched grip may be more suitable, or a lighter padded wrist strap being a feature they want, these things will add cost to the product.

Cedar1974
06-21-2015, 10:51
I got a set of Wally world poles for just under $12 from their online store. I mainly got them for my Hammock tarp to put it up in "Porch mode" so I can be under something while I cook. They are pretty go for that purpose. And honestly, if you are just starting out, it is better to buy the cheap stuff from Wally World to see if you even want to continue with this hobby rather than blow money on a set of $100 poles that will last you longer, but after a few hikes you just give up on them.

ExNihilo
06-23-2015, 09:29
Currently trying out a pair of Wally World poles because I want to know if I even like using poles (I do!) and they served me really well on the AT over the weekend. Came across Thru Hiker- RockyMountainHigh- using the same poles all the way from Georgia! She had some repair work done but it was cool to see them carry a hiker all the way up to Pine Grove Furnace. Can't be all bad.
If things go well, I'll pick up a pair of something nice after these fail.

Another Kevin
06-23-2015, 10:50
My brother uses Wally World poles. Durability hasn't been an issue for him.

I tried them for a little bit, and didn't like them. The wrist straps kept loosening on me so that my hands were below the grips, the grips themselves gave me a blister on my thumb, and they were heavy. I went back to my Komperdells with a sigh of relief. I daresay they'd work well enough - they'd be better than two saplings - but I'm glad I can afford better.

AO2134
06-23-2015, 11:04
Just another update. I have used to same wally world poles for 600+ miles. Absolutely no problems. Occasionally, the locking mechanism takes a little longer to "unlock", but they are going strong. I absolutely love my poles. Their $18 price tag and durability makes me like them even more. I would never spend an extra 82$ for a weight savings of a couple of ounces. I can't imagine Black Diamond and Leki poles lasting any longer or bring "more reliable" then the pair I have. From members on here and at other places, it looks like these poles fail just about as often as any other.

Maybe I got lucky and got a really, really great pair of poles from wally world, but it seems like to me all you are really buying is a brand name. I refuse to do that.

Traveler
06-23-2015, 19:51
Just for comparison, I have a set of Black Diamond flick locks ($90 on sale) with just over 2,000 logged miles.

limehollow
11-21-2015, 09:09
I've also used one walmart pole with a gossamer gear grip for many hundred miles. It still works great. Normally, I don't give walmart business, but bought two of these when I read that the flick lock was essentially the same as the BD poles. Anyways I love the pole! It's lasted three hiking seasons and gone all over the world.
32713 (from cat mountain on a the High Falls Loop in the Adirondacks, en route to the Five Ponds! :)

left52side
03-03-2016, 20:05
I have both the orange and the blue with suspension poles that I bought on clearance at wal mary for almost nothing and they seems fine.
I do like the blue ones with the cork grip and suspension in my opinion,but they both seems to work fine for me on my trips,

Christoph
03-03-2016, 22:24
This is an old thread, but for what it's worth... I too bought some WallyWorld poles at 20 bucks a pair. Last year I started my thru attempt unsure of how I would like use of any pole, no matter what brand. Never used them before but thought for the price, why not give it shot. I could always hiker box them if anything. Turns out, I don't know how I ever got along without poles in the past. As for the Walmart ones, I never hesitated on putting my full weight on them. I abused these things and they lasted all 750 miles in my 43 days. Tips were getting worn down but I used them EVERYWHERE and ALL the time I was hiking (and a few angry throwing javelin style events (more @#!!% uphill today?!?! Haha)). They probably would have lasted a good 1000 miles the way I was going. Wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, and I actually did for my upcoming section hike to prepare for my 2nd thru attempt.

MtDoraDave
05-13-2016, 07:28
Yeah, old thread, but my two cents.

Compared the wallyworld poles to some leki's, and they were only an ounce heavier. What the heck, I'll give them a try (even though I really try to avoid shopping at wallyworld).
My first time using them, on a 12 mile out, 12 mile back overnighter - I lost a basket. Found it on the way home - now I make sure they are tight and haven't lost another one since.
The steel or carbide tip fell out of one of them in the first year I had them. Bought single replacement.
Have bent both of them (from slipping and falling on ice) but was able to straighten them out. Also bent one of them on the steel stairs at Amicalola falls... again, it was able to be straightened out.
One of them did unscrew/ loosen on one section with a lot of climbing. I noticed I was twisting my wrist as I put a lot of weight on the poles. Now I make sure they are twisted / locked tightly each morning before setting out.

I will probably buy a better set of poles when time to replace these, switching to flick locks. Wallyworld doesn't now carry the flick lock, only the twist lock, so I'll probably go to a local outfitter and get some leki's like my hiking partner has for about $80. I will continue to own only adjustable poles, as I use them for my tent as well as hiking.

After using them now for over 350 miles, I can't imagine hiking without them - even if I didn't need them for my tent.

Huli
05-13-2016, 09:19
I was looking at getting these as an after Walmart pole. Mid range price with high end specs.
Hiker Hunger 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles - Ultralight & Collapsible with Quick Flip-Lock, Cork Grips, & Tungsten Tips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C60REBO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_NqDnxbHM1D7C3

Secondmouse
05-13-2016, 14:54
you get what you pay for..

not always. or at least sometimes you can get a lot more than you pay for. this might be one of those cases...

MtDoraDave
05-14-2016, 08:45
I was looking at getting these as an after Walmart pole. Mid range price with high end specs.
Hiker Hunger 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles - Ultralight & Collapsible with Quick Flip-Lock, Cork Grips, & Tungsten Tips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C60REBO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_NqDnxbHM1D7C3

Those look like a great deal - but I've heard that the mice like to eat the cork... so I would prefer rubber of some kind. I rarely grip the "grips" so comfortable and form fitting doesn't much matter to me. I use the straps (reaching through from under) and let the straps rest at the heel of my hands, only loosely pinching the grips between thumb and finger. I imagine if a critter ate part of the cork that it would become uncomfortable, even in a loose grip.

Singto
05-26-2016, 23:09
People who say "you get what you pay for" are either very naive, in denial of how manufacturing/marketing works or both. There are MANY products, including hiking poles, that are made by the same generic manufacturing facility, on the same manufacturing lines, by the same people, with the same materials but only the branding and price are different. If you think that purchasing a name is a good value then by all means, spend your money. Me, I look at the product and then buy accordingly, regardless of the name that is printed on the product and/or it's packaging. Cascade Mountain Tech lightweight, composite, quick lock, cork handled poles with a lifetime warranty @ less than $50 per pair at amazon can't be beat IMHO.

frontovik193
08-04-2016, 10:13
My walmart poles lasted a good couple hundred miles before i trashed them a few days ago. My biggest complaint was that the straps slipped once wet, and the twist lock system is not my favorite. They still did their job and I did get my money out of them. I fell pretty hard on a downhill during some rain earlier this week and bent one of the poles pretty badly. Now I have an excuse to "upgrade" to something a little nicer. Thanks for the heads up on those cascade mountain tech poles, I might check those out.

T.Bates
08-04-2016, 14:16
I have the Cascade poles and love them. I finally upgraded to those after to sets of wally world poles, which served their purpose and now lend them to friends. I originally got the poles for the sole purpose to pitch my hammock tarp in lean-to mode and then used one and then started to use both while hiking. I am so glad that I started to use them because of the benefit of balance while walking and the assist from stream crossings to downhill. I would say that the biggest difference I notice is weight and the comfortability. Just starting out i would recommend to get a cheaper pole so you know if you are going to use them or not. After you use them and know what a difference poles make then go ahead and invest in a nice set of hiking poles.