PDA

View Full Version : Fire on AT in PA

DuctTape
11-10-2010, 12:55
It's fortunately only a few acres, but this is something you don't hear very often. This is the area immediately "south" of the Lehigh River bridge into Palmerton, near Leroy Smith Shelter.

http://articles.mcall.com/2010-11-09/news/mc-2-houses-saved-from-appalachian-tr20101109_1_fire-chief-keith-weaver-fire-crews-brush-fire

"the rocky terrain made the firefighting unusually difficult." :D

tuswm
11-10-2010, 13:09
I just did a weekend trip there about a week ago. I remember thinking how many fire rings and party sites there was there due to the near by town and many road crossings there.

BAG "o" TRICKS
11-10-2010, 13:37
It's fortunately only a few acres, but this is something you don't hear very often. This is the area immediately "south" of the Lehigh River bridge into Palmerton, near Leroy Smith Shelter.

http://articles.mcall.com/2010-11-09/news/mc-2-houses-saved-from-appalachian-tr20101109_1_fire-chief-keith-weaver-fire-crews-brush-fire

"the rocky terrain made the firefighting unusually difficult." :D

"What rocky terrain"?:eek:

Namaste
11-10-2010, 14:15
Actually the Leroy Smith shelter is "north" of the Lehigh area, just thought I'd mention :)

emerald
11-10-2010, 14:16
There's a seasonal burning ban now in effect on Pennsylvania's state forests until sometme in December.

DuctTape
11-10-2010, 14:31
Actually the Leroy Smith shelter is "north" of the Lehigh area, just thought I'd mention :)

Right I was thinking of Outerbridge, thanks.

Tuts
11-10-2010, 14:50
I do recall this section. There were a lot of road crossings around there. Interesting thing, though. I found that there were a lot of burned out areas as I hiked the trail. Most of them were set by the forest service though. A wildfire like this is kind of a scary thing. I'm sure there were still a few southbounders around in that area who might be affected by it.

RevLee
11-10-2010, 15:48
We were fixing dinner at Marble Spring this year when 14 forest service firefighters walked through our camp. It was a little unnerving, but they said they had just brought the fire on the other side of the ridge under control.

There were also 3 controlled burns that I know of this year. We beat the one just north of Kimberling Creek suspension bridge by a day. While camping at Hog Camp Gap, the firefighters were preparing the brush for one, but went up to do another one at Big Meadows until the wind settled down.

Great bunch of guys and gals who have a tough job. We ended up talking to them a few times on our trip. They were from Idaho and were enjoying the East Coast. Out west they tent camp, but here they were staying in motels.

emerald
11-10-2010, 22:55
I do recall this section. There were a lot of road crossings around there. Interesting thing, though. I found that there were a lot of burned out areas as I hiked the trail. Most of them were set by the forest service though.

Not in Pennsylvania. Forty-five (45) miles of the A.T. traverse 3 state forests and they aren't near Lehigh Gap.

I wonder what percentage of mapless through hikers learn they are called Michaux, Weiser and Delaware and why they are so named?

Jaybird62
11-11-2010, 11:09
:-?I think you're talking about the same area- in my gallery is a picture of the trail south of looking from the north side of the lehigh river. As I was climbing up, I noticed some smoke rising from the trees on the south side....Within a few hours there was a lot of smoke and a couple of fire trucks parked down by the buildings on the south side of the bridge... That was in early January of 2008 I believe.:-?

Tuts
11-12-2010, 00:56
I should have been more specific. As I hiked the trail, I went through many burned out areas (not necessarily in penn... more like in the south) but most of them were set by the forest service.

emerald
11-13-2010, 21:48
It's fortunately only a few acres, but this is something you don't hear very often.

Really? The day after your thread was posted, I read of another start (http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=263484) in Windsor Township requiring a state police helicopter and 60 firefighters to bring it under control.

I've learned of 3 on or near the A.T. this fall alone by reading only my local newspaper and WhiteBlaze. Were I tuned in to the proper channels, I don't doubt I'd have learned of more.

I regularly come across campfires on the A.T. that aren't extinguished properly. It doesn't take much to reignite a smouldering campfire and cause a wildfire.

RGB
11-13-2010, 22:14
I should have been more specific. As I hiked the trail, I went through many burned out areas (not necessarily in penn... more like in the south) but most of them were set by the forest service.

Just watched your LT hike! More vids, please.