PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Soruck...

yugrekih
12-12-2004, 13:58
http://www.soruck.com

Please click on the link above for information about the 2005 SORUCK, Martin Luther King weekend (Jan 14-17, 2005) on the Appalachian Trail at NOC (milepost 134.1). This is a meet and greet weekend for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts, and is sponsered by the members of the AT-L email list (www.backcountry.net). All enthusiasts are welcome. This is a great weekend for budding long-distance hikers to get good solid information for their hikes. ..

Pittsburgh

A-Train
12-12-2004, 14:05
I'd just like to echo Pittsburgh's comments. Anyone is who in the south and planning a hike in the next yr or so should certainly try to make it for all or part of the weekend. You'll learn tons, meet great people and get questions answered from tried and true thru-hikers. At the Ruck i attended before my hike, I was able to have one on one conversations with multiple hike thru-hikers and ask them the things that I've always wanted to know.

If this Ruck is like the others, folks will be willing to help go thru your gear, help you elminate and pack your pack properly and do demonstrations (such as how to set up a hammock, make an alcohol stove etc.)

Plus you'll meet a ton of great folks, some who you may see out on the Trail. I recommend it!

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 15:55
I think I will put this on my schedule of things to do this year. Any other WhiteBlazers planning to go?

MOWGLI
12-12-2004, 16:08
I think I will put this on my schedule of things to do this year. Any other WhiteBlazers planning to go?

I'd like to go, but I am planning a thru-hike of the Alabama Pinhoti Trail starting next week, and plan on hiking a 60-mile segment of the Florida Trail in January. I can only spend so much time away from home (or my job).

Both Youngblood & I went to the SORUCK last year. Well, part of it anyway. I would highly recommend it to any & all AT enthusiasts. The vibe was very very nice. No arguing or bickering. Just nice folks hanging out & conversing.

Little Bear

Butch Cassidy
12-12-2004, 19:56
Looks like I might just can make this, checked my work schedule and it fits. 300 mile drive one way but I am sure it will be a blast. See Ya there, Dave
(Paladin) :cool:

orangebug
12-12-2004, 20:16
This will be worth attending, but I'd caution folks to follow Pittsburg's instructions and get your reservations in early. From the looks of it, this will be very well attended, and has been increasing by 50% each year. I believe we had over 70 hikers and supporters last year, in a truly out of the way spot in Upstate SC.

shades of blue
12-13-2004, 18:11
rock...are you planning on hammocking at the ruck?

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 18:43
Yes. I have my JRB No Sniveler and maybe I will have my new homemade quiltr. I would really like to get some cold temps to test it out to the full extent.

shades of blue
12-13-2004, 19:03
I'm thinking about going. I have a speer hammock with the pea pod and the speer quilt. I plan on using the quilt in between the peapod and the hammock and getting a winter sleeping bag to use as the quilt. Not sure on what degree rating to go on the bag/quilt. Any ideas? I know you are a hennessey guy, so not the same type hammock. It would be interesting to meet you.

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 19:04
Sure, I plan to go, so lets "hang out" ;)

I'm not sure the set up pattern on these things, but maybe we could get a WhiteBlaze area going in the tent city.

shades of blue
12-13-2004, 19:09
Cool
Have you sent in a reservation yet...or let them know you were coming?

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 19:22
Not yet. I plan to get it done this week. Houshold 6 already aproved of the dispatch. The only question is if my older boy is going to come.

orangebug
12-13-2004, 20:17
You might have problems camping/tenting right at SORUCK Central. I understand that this is forbidden by our hosts. It may be easier to plan to go a bit away on the AT, although you would miss a lot of the evening festivities.

peter_pan
12-13-2004, 20:29
Rock,

Just set the plans in place to be at the Soruck....I'll be travelling light on my motor cycle but will have my hammock and all the cool JRB stuff to use and show off. Will get signed up next week. We can just mosey up the trail a piece and hang on a hillside, no need to go far because we won't need a level spot. Looking forward. PP

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 22:55
Sounds good. Maybe we can stay up the trail. I do remember reading somewhere that there would be camping on the NOC grounds for the ruck, maybe they will make exceptions for this event?

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 23:04
From the site:

If anyone wishes to rough it, there is a shelter 0.8 miles South of NOC on the Appalachian Trail. Going either direction on the AT, there should be a few places to drop a tent. There should be a few good stealth tenting opportunities within the NOC property. Scope it out and stake a claim when you arrive.

I'll make up some sort of WhiteBlaze Hammock Hangers sign and put some up so ya'll can find the spot if'n I ain't around when you show up. I may drive down that way on a day trip prior to and scope the sites out, then we can coordinate a link up at the restaurant or something Friday night for late comers.

shades of blue
12-13-2004, 23:17
That sounds like a plan! Count me in Rock.

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 23:49
Here is the proposed sign I plan to use:

gravityman
12-14-2004, 14:40
From the site:

I'll make up some sort of WhiteBlaze Hammock Hangers sign and put some up so ya'll can find the spot if'n I ain't around when you show up. I may drive down that way on a day trip prior to and scope the sites out, then we can coordinate a link up at the restaurant or something Friday night for late comers.

Typical stealth spot is along the railroad tracks down river. You'll see the spots. They aren't really that "stealth" in that a lot of other people have used them over the years, but it is a nice spot with the river right there.

Gravity

dharmabum86
12-14-2004, 14:59
You "guys" mind if a chick drops in on ya! LOL, after reading more about this I definately want to attend. I am planning on a thru-hike SOBO in '06. This is a perfect way to meet other thru-hikers. Thanks for the info!
Brandi:bse

peter_pan
12-14-2004, 16:30
Rock,
Just don't drop bread crumbs all the thru hikers in training will eat them...PP

SGT Rock
12-14-2004, 22:29
Hey, you know the Army. Change of plans.

Looks like the schedule for my next mission just changed. 75% chance I won't make the SoRuck. I will try to work around it and still make it, but things don't look good now.

shades of blue
12-14-2004, 23:16
Say it ain't so, joe....I mean rock. I hate to hear that. Hope you can work it out to go. If not, have a good hike this weekend!