PDA

View Full Version : Today Show - 11/10/10 - AT Segment

Ladytrekker
11-10-2010, 13:42
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/40107153#40107153

If already posted I apologize do not have time to look around but the piece was good and wanted to share it.

Ladytrekker
11-10-2010, 14:02
I should have elaborated have more time now.

This is a short segment about a retired art teacher that hiked as a thru last year by the trail name of Braid.

It was done as an ongoing series by AARP about retirees.

amac
11-10-2010, 14:07
nice, thanks for posting.

StorminMormon
11-10-2010, 14:08
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Luddite
11-10-2010, 14:13
Thats pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

So this was on this morning?

centsless
11-10-2010, 14:40
great video, thanks for sharing.

perrito
11-10-2010, 14:42
Very good press.
:sun

Ladytrekker
11-10-2010, 17:48
Thats pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

So this was on this morning?

Yea I was at work and my Mom called me and said there was this story about the AT right now on the Today Show. So, I went looking to see if they had a video online in which they did.

58starter
11-10-2010, 18:01
great story for all of us that are over 55. right now I will just have to section hike for years to complete the trail.

Rain Man
11-10-2010, 18:06
Great piece! And neat guy! Thanks so much for sharing!

Rain:sunMan

johnnyblisters
11-10-2010, 19:26
I was lacing up my work boots this morning and saw Joe "Braid" Liles on the TV. My significant other shouted, "Isn't that Braid from the AT, the guy who sent you a postcard?!?!?". Whelp, although I was late for work, I still got to see a friend on national TV talking about his amazing adventure!

Best to ya, Braid!

HikerMom58
11-10-2010, 20:56
Awesome!!!

jnanagardener
11-10-2010, 21:15
Thank you so much for this. I too am a teacher and will be 57 at retirement...16 short years. I will be 58 when I summit Katahdin!

Hikerhead
11-10-2010, 21:18
He was at The Gathering this year and he sang his Hiking Song.

Hobbler
11-10-2010, 21:26
It is about time that NBC did a little more to show what the real “Down to Earth” people in this country do for recreation. Finally a great and meaningful story for the trail lovers. They normally pander to the establishment with their stories of cruise vacations in paradise and the main-stream travel tips. There is no shame from them when they burden us mostly with trash in between the commercials and news tidbits that they and the rest of the networks show. The media is frankly in need of re-tooling in this economy when people are tightening their belts. The only problem is the attention and added pressure of increased numbers that this well done segment might bring to the trail....Good work Jane and NBC!

Kudos to Braid

Luddite
11-11-2010, 18:24
http://www.aarp.org/tv-radio/your_life_calling/

Theres a longer version of the story.

tawa
11-11-2010, 18:46
Awesome job Braid. I can't think of a better ambassador to represent his journey on the AT and be able to present it to the masses in such a professional way.

northernstorm
11-11-2010, 19:55
sweet. thanks for posting. makes me more excited for march to come.

Sly
11-11-2010, 20:10
It is about time that NBC did a little more to show what the real “Down to Earth” people in this country do for recreation. Finally a great and meaningful story for the trail lovers. They normally pander to the establishment with their stories of cruise vacations in paradise and the main-stream travel tips. There is no shame from them when they burden us mostly with trash in between the commercials and news tidbits that they and the rest of the networks show. The media is frankly in need of re-tooling in this economy when people are tightening their belts. The only problem is the attention and added pressure of increased numbers that this well done segment might bring to the trail....Good work Jane and NBC!

Geez...

You railed on about NBC and the media not doing enough and spoke of a problem with added pressure and increased numbers.

.... make up your mind.

Birc h
11-11-2010, 23:01
An inspiration. Thanks for posting the link.

On a side-note, I thought it was only me that felt the traffic lights are conspiring, they seem to let everyone else pass :)

Spokes
11-11-2010, 23:19
Made me smile........ Thanks.

Helios
11-11-2010, 23:35
Thought Braid was/is an amazing ambassador. Glad he was chosen to do this. Thanks for sharing!!!

Hobbler
11-12-2010, 09:21
Geez...

You railed on about NBC and the media not doing enough and spoke of a problem with added pressure and increased numbers.

.... make up your mind.

Yes it is true that there is very little coverage to the issues of the trail, and I might add other forms of outdoor recreation...canoeing, rock climbing, non-RV camping etc. and as a viewer, I would like to see more. However, I do recognize the interest that is stirred when being on the national stage might bring in those who never even considered a walk in the woods. That's OK and I welcome it...but I do have an open mind to the issue I do see both sides. The trail is a true treasure and already becoming very heavily used. Just being objective and looking at the impact on it here by playing a little bit "Devil's Advocate" and also cautionary. I don't see the need to "pick" a side. A rigid mind is a closed mind.

Driver8
11-12-2010, 15:23
Very nice piece. Really enjoyed it. I've always felt some days everything, traffic lights included, conspires against you, but most days, not so, and some days, everything goes your way. :)

James GAME2009
11-12-2010, 22:37
He did a really nice job - very professional. I remember running into Braid at a shelter. I believe he shared a few cashews with me over some good conversation. I saw him again at Trail Days and heard his wonderful song. Well done Braid!

-SEEKER-
11-13-2010, 10:51
Made me smile........ Thanks.
Me too! Thanks for sharing.

weary
11-13-2010, 11:29
Geez...

.... make up your mind.
People protect only those things they have come to appreciate. Back in the 70s and 80s when I wrote newspaper stories about a lot of people's favorite mountains, I was criticized by folks who thought I was attracting unwanted crowds. But when developers eyed these same mountains, they asked me for more stories to keep developers away.

The NBC piece did nothing harmful to the cause of mountain protection. It did a tremendous amount of good. The problem is not too many people enjoying the outdoors. But too few people with the knowledge needed to fight for protection of wild places.

pistol p
11-14-2010, 23:33
Nice piece...thanks. :)

northernstorm
11-16-2010, 13:29
its amazing the way the news folks make something like this seem so foreign to the mass public. regardless, it was a very nice video.