PDA

View Full Version : 2005 No. Ruck

mattyg2
12-12-2004, 14:49
Does anyone know when / where the 2005 northern ruck is?

I've been told its usually somewhere in Pa during January, but that's all I know.

Thanks,
Matt

tanichols
12-12-2004, 15:09
The "Get Togethers" Sub-Forum has all the info.

Here's a direct link:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6618

It's the last weekend in January at the Ironmasters in Pine Grove Furnace SP, details are in the link.

The Scribe
12-12-2004, 17:34
Been hanging around this site for a year almost and I have never heard of a RUCK. What is it?

Thanks

PCM

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 17:52
Check out the link, but basically it is a hiker get together where they have siminars and such. Get to spend some time around experienced and inexperienced hikers.

mattyg2
12-12-2004, 18:18
thanks for the info

matt

Spirit Walker
12-13-2004, 12:41
A ruck is a very informal gathering of hikers, mostly just hanging out and talking all weekend at a large houseparty. Any gathering of hikers can be a ruck, and they have been held in Florida, S. Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Oregon etc. At the moment there are two rucks planned in January - the Southern Ruck and one in Pennsylvania. There will be pot luck meals (bring something to share), sometimes breakfast and lunch prepared for the group (if anyone volunteers), usually we will go for a hike on Saturday, sometimes there are slideshows, tuckerizing of packs (how light do you want to go?), general discussions of thruhiking, sometimes someone will show how to build an alcohol stove or there may be a stove light off contest. You can check out some new gear, etc. It is all very informal - just a midwinter chance to hang out with kindred spirits. The PA ruck usually draws 90 or so. You can either camp or stay at the hostel in PA. There is a fee for use of the hostel - both if you stay the night and if you just use it for the day. At PA there is usually a gear swap - bring stuff that is still in good shape but you don't use, anyone who wants it will take it and make a donation. This year the funds will go to the hostel. We've raised quite a bit of money in the past that way.