PDA

View Full Version : Kupilka Kuksas

STICK
11-10-2010, 21:54
So, a while back I came across a Kupilka 21 on a personal blog. It is a cup made from a mixture of pine fiber and plastic. It is based on the original Kuksa's or the Guksi. These are sold by a company in Finland called Kupilka.

Since I came across the review, that gear addiction kicked in and I have been wanting one of these. I contacted the company and they told me that there was no stores in the States yet, but he would be happy to ship me one. Time went my and the intensity died down. The other day, I again came across another review of these cups. So, I decided to go with it this time.

They should be shipping one to me soon, so I am looking forward to holding this cup in my hands rather than reading about it and looking at it on the net. I will be sure to post back more when it gets here.

For now, I have a post that I just posted on my blog if you are interested in any of the details or such.

http://stick13.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/kuksa-cups/

burntoutphilosopher
11-10-2010, 22:32
look cool, full of character ... sometimes weight isn't everything.

as usual i loved you blog.

Mountain Wildman
11-10-2010, 22:34
Looks cool!!
I just have a plain old Snow Peak Titanium Cup, But that's kind of cool also.
May be leaving that home and carrying a GSI Minimalist which is about the same weight but can also cook or boil water, My SP600 is double wall, So no cooking in it!!
I look forward to your review and pics of the cup you receive.
Some have speculated that the cup Jesus Christ used at the Last Supper could have been wood.

STICK
11-10-2010, 22:52
burntoutphilosopher, I agree. Especially on this and at such a small difference. Although, I may get the cup and not feel the same as I do now (doubt it though).

Mountain Wildman, I have wanted each of those pieces too, but do not have them. I have others similar though. The Minimalist is very enticing considering what it is and the price is great too. GSI has some nice stuff too. I have a 1.8 L Dualist cookpot and a Kettle. They are both great quality.

I will still want a old-school traditional, birch burl 100% wood cup I am sure. However, it will take some time for me to spend $120 on a cup... :)

Mountain Wildman
11-10-2010, 23:19
burntoutphilosopher, I agree. Especially on this and at such a small difference. Although, I may get the cup and not feel the same as I do now (doubt it though).

Mountain Wildman, I have wanted each of those pieces too, but do not have them. I have others similar though. The Minimalist is very enticing considering what it is and the price is great too. GSI has some nice stuff too. I have a 1.8 L Dualist cookpot and a Kettle. They are both great quality.

I will still want a old-school traditional, birch burl 100% wood cup I am sure. However, it will take some time for me to spend $120 on a cup... :)

I don't mind paying for quality gear but, $120 for a cup, YIKES!!!!

SMSP
11-11-2010, 00:04
Interesting cup.

SMSP

Franco
11-11-2010, 02:28
Hi Stick
Only a couple of days ago I was playing with the real thing.
One of my mates was in Scandinavia for a few months about 30 years ago and he has some lovely carved stuff from there including some beautiful knife.
His cup has some bone carving at the top of the handle.
Similar to this but with a more intricate and colourful carving .
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/guksi___wooden_cup_by_doaivu.jpg
Really nice gear.
Not really to do with lightweight or necessarily the practical side but definitely good for the spirit.
Franco

STICK
11-11-2010, 20:30
Franco, nice pic. Thanks for sharing. One day I will get a "real" one, but until then I believe I will be happy with the Kupilka.

I also agree with you, these are not exactly lightweight or completely practical. But I am happy to be getting one, and believe that I will be happy to carry it with me. I cannot say for sure though until I have it in my hands though, so we will see...

sporthansa
03-02-2011, 13:44
Hello - I am from Sport Hansa. We are the importer of Kupilka which is now available stateside. The retailer list is available at the Kupilka site -http://www.kupilka.fi/app/dealers/list

STICK
03-02-2011, 19:26
You beat me to it. :)

I have the retailers available in the US detailed on my blog. I called a few and am awaiting emails from one other and have posted the info on my blog if anyone is interested.

http://sticksblog.com/2011/03/02/kupilkas-are-now-available-in-the-us/#more-2015

10-K
03-02-2011, 19:34
...and you can always use it as kindling if necessary!

STICK
03-02-2011, 19:37
...this is true...actually, that is one way to dispose of it...however, I plan on keeping mine for a long time....