PDA

View Full Version : Ouachita Trail Water

MuffinMan11
11-11-2010, 09:57
Planning on doing about 4 days on the Ouachita trail over Thanksgiving weekend from Queen Wilhelmina State Park to Talimena State Park. I have never hiked this trail and wanted to get the beta on water supply during this time of the year. Do I need to cache water or is there usually a reliable supply during this time of year? Any help would be appreciated.

Driver8
11-11-2010, 13:00
I've not hiked this trail, but grew up in Arkansas. Will ask my friends on facebook and see if I can find anything for you. I do know it rained a lot this summer. Don't know about the fall, though.

Shutterbug
11-11-2010, 14:28
Planning on doing about 4 days on the Ouachita trail over Thanksgiving weekend from Queen Wilhelmina State Park to Talimena State Park. I have never hiked this trail and wanted to get the beta on water supply during this time of the year. Do I need to cache water or is there usually a reliable supply during this time of year? Any help would be appreciated.

The Ouachita Trail is on my to do list. Please give a report after your hike.

Although I have not hiked the trail, I have spent time in eastern Oklahoma. I wouldn't think that water would be a problem. There are a lot of creeks.

Razor
11-11-2010, 14:46
I am going next week to do some day hikes and a short backpack there at the east end . Will report back water and trail conditions . The books ,for what thats worth, says this is a great time to be there.The Ouachita, unlike the Ozark trails ,go across some dry ridgelines and do have water problems even in wet years. We will see! Good hiking everyone--

Driver8
11-11-2010, 18:48
I am going next week to do some day hikes and a short backpack there at the east end . Will report back water and trail conditions . The books ,for what thats worth, says this is a great time to be there.The Ouachita, unlike the Ozark trails ,go across some dry ridgelines and do have water problems even in wet years. We will see! Good hiking everyone--

The reports I've gotten back are that it's beautiful countryside and good hiking, but no good intel on water.

MuffinMan11
11-15-2010, 10:11
Thank you for info everyone. I will be watching for any other reports up until my trip. Still waiting for my guidebook and hopefully it will help me plan my trip a little better.

Driver8
11-15-2010, 11:44
Thank you for info everyone. I will be watching for any other reports up until my trip. Still waiting for my guidebook and hopefully it will help me plan my trip a little better.

I did get one report, somewhat sketchy, that it's been kinda dry out in that part of Arkansas.

Razor
11-27-2010, 15:13
We tried to view several waterfalls and they were dry. From reports at several stations it seemed that the dry summer has carried into a dry fall > Need to be careful as you proceed down your section. I would carry extra water everywhere and expect the worse!

BigHodag
11-27-2010, 16:55
Been hiking the eastern portion of the trail recently and water is abundant as the trail skirts Lake Maumelle.

You can find a USFS trail guide at:
http://www.friendsot.org/sites/files/documents/TR-01DETAIL_ONRTSegmentMapsa_000.pdf

Based on your trip plan, water is available at:

51.6 ...Queen Wilhelmina State Park lodge

46.0 ...Creek (water not guaranteed, but fairly reliable).

39.2 ...Kiamichi River (good campsites in this area; reliable water).

34.3 ...Pashubbe Trailhead (refill water supply at Pashubbe Creek

29.9 ...Big Cedar Creek (reliable water).

13.4 ...Cedar Branch (rainy season water source).

7.3 .....Bohannon Creek (rainy season water source0

0.0 .....Talimena State Park.

Personally, I'd call the USFS ranger station and have a nice chat with the men in green:

Choctaw Office-Oklahoma District
52175 US Hwy 59
Hodgen, OK 74939