PDA

View Full Version : 10 mile days: OK to start the trail???

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 10:45
Looking for some help from experienced thru hikers, familiar with this section of the trail...

We will be starting our thru hike in an unconventional way, beginning in Waynesboro mid April, heading NOBO for the first leg. After looking at SNP's website, the very first resupply option I see on trail that will actually be open is Lewis Mountain Campground. This means we will need 4- 10 mile days and 1- 13 mile day. Questions concerning this:

Is this doable for the very beginning of our hike? I am a bit concerned about the mileage, and pushing too hard too early, as we are in our late 30's and late 40's, and will only have training grounds in flat sunny Florida. If it seems like too much too early, what other options do we have? Elkton is 8 miles prior to Lewis Mountain, which could shorten up the five day average, but our guide doesn't really show any resupply there and it is over 6 miles off trail.

5 days also seems like a really long first leg, but we are assuming we won't have hiker appetites yet, and shouldn't need more than 1lb. of food per person per day for the 5 days. Does this sound safe to you?

Scooby99
11-11-2010, 10:54
I think 10 mile days are fine and doable for the first weeks of a thruhike. Even at 1.5mph average, its only a 6-7 hr day. I would plan on some extra food though, 1 lb seems a bit light. If worried about the weight, you shouldn't need a tent, shouldn't be tons of thru's there at that time.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2010, 11:09
I think your approach is very sensible - allow time for your bodies to adjust (feet, knees, quads, etc.) even if some of you are capable of starting out 14-16 mile days, start slow. You won't regret it.

Re. Lewis Mountain, how are you planning to resupply? The store there is small and caters more to car-campers and those staying in cabins. Since your starting point isn't too far away, it might make sense for you to drop a resupply box there first after contacting the concessionaire to ensure they'll allow you to do so.

Sly
11-11-2010, 11:11
If you go Hut to Hut to Campground, it's 6.2m, 13m, 13.2m, 8.2m, and 11.7m and shouldn't be a problem.

Also be advised, you just can't camp anywhere in SNP. You need to be so far from the road and 200' from the trail.

Even though you'll most likely end up staying in a Hut, it's advised to carry a shelter/tent. Dumb not to.

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 11:12
Re. Lewis Mountain, how are you planning to resupply? The store there is small and caters more to car-campers and those staying in cabins. Since your starting point isn't too far away, it might make sense for you to drop a resupply box there first after contacting the concessionaire to ensure they'll allow you to do so.

We were hoping that there would be enough of a resupply there to get us 1day to Big Meadows where there is better resupply options? DOABLE?

Cookerhiker
11-11-2010, 11:14
We were hoping that there would be enough of a resupply there to get us 1day to Big Meadows where there is better resupply options? DOABLE?

For one night - sure. And of course at Big Meadows, you can enjoy a meal at the lodge restaurant or at least the Wayside if the lodge isn't open yet.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2010, 11:19
...Also be advised, you just camp anywhere in SNP. You need to be so far from the road and 200' from the trail...

One great non-shelter place to camp is atop HighTop Mountain. The top is rounded with plenty of space for tents or hammocks, there's a rocky outcropping with westward i.e. sunset views, and there's actually a good spring on top of the mountain, a rarety.

Sly
11-11-2010, 11:20
In 2011, Lewis Mountain opens 4/9, Big Meadows late march.

DavidNH
11-11-2010, 11:25
10 mile days should be just fine for this section of trail. Experienced through hikers in SNP and Northern VA would have that mileage done by lunch time. 20 mile days I would question but 10 mile days --even with one 13m miler-- should be very doable.

DavidNH

Looking for some help from experienced thru hikers,

familiar with this section of the trail...

We will be starting our thru hike in an unconventional way, beginning in Waynesboro mid April, heading NOBO for the first leg. After looking at SNP's website, the very first resupply option I see on trail that will actually be open is Lewis Mountain Campground. This means we will need 4- 10 mile days and 1- 13 mile day. Questions concerning this:

Is this doable for the very beginning of our hike? I am a bit concerned about the mileage, and pushing too hard too early, as we are in our late 30's and late 40's, and will only have training grounds in flat sunny Florida. If it seems like too much too early, what other options do we have? Elkton is 8 miles prior to Lewis Mountain, which could shorten up the five day average, but our guide doesn't really show any resupply there and it is over 6 miles off trail.

5 days also seems like a really long first leg, but we are assuming we won't have hiker appetites yet, and shouldn't need more than 1lb. of food per person per day for the 5 days. Does this sound safe to you?

Sly
11-11-2010, 11:26
One great non-shelter place to camp is atop HighTop Mountain. The top is rounded with plenty of space for tents or hammocks, there's a rocky outcropping with westward i.e. sunset views, and there's actually a good spring on top of the mountain, a rarety.

I meant to say "you just can't camp anywhere in SNP" which also means be prepared to pay a fine if you're caught illegally camping.

Hightop Mnt. sounds nice.

swamp dawg
11-11-2010, 11:58
I always like to start slow so as to let my legs and body get built up then soon enough the miles will come. I remember a saying a hiker related to me many years ago about starting a hike which goes like this, too fast, too far, to home. HYOH....swamp dawg

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 12:49
thanks a lot for all the input here. this eases my mind quite a bit.

Jeff
11-11-2010, 13:30
Even though you'll most likely end up staying in a Hut, it's advised to carry a shelter/tent. Dumb not to.

Totally agree with this.

Easter is late in 2011 .... April 24th. This may mean there will be more hikers staying at the huts due to school breaks. Bringing a tent makes even more sense with extra hikers on the trail.

bigcranky
11-11-2010, 14:35
Starting around 10 miles a day should be fine. Just be flexible each day -- it's often easier in SNP to set up a tent near one of the shelters ("huts") than to find a legal camp site along the trail. Also, the huts usually have a decent spring for water.

Scooby99
11-11-2010, 14:37
To each their own, but having hiked the AT twice, plus a bunch of sections, I have never been shut out of a shelter. With the shorter days you are planning, if you start by 8a, you'll be done by 2p, bring the tent if you feel like it, but I've never felt like it was necessary.

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 15:23
Yeah no problem either way. But my wife and I are tent first campers. It will be on my back the whole trip.

Blissful
11-11-2010, 17:15
Looking for some help from experienced thru hikers, familiar with this section of the trail...

You could likely do a little more, as I have done the trail without conditioning in my early 40s. AT in SNP is a good trail. And you are right on the food option. When does Loft Mtn open? I guess you will be too early for there? Also at Swift Run Gap (RT 33) you can hitch to Ruckersville and our new Wally World Supercenter. If we are around we can give you a ride, but I leave fore the trail in PA in mid April.

Grampie
11-11-2010, 17:17
Hiked the SNP a few years ago in early May. I also thought that I could resupply in the park only to discover that not much of all was available until around Memorial day. the resturants were open but the camp stores were not stocked.

Blissful
11-11-2010, 17:17
To each their own, but having hiked the AT twice, plus a bunch of sections, I have never been shut out of a shelter. With the shorter days you are planning, if you start by 8a, you'll be done by 2p, bring the tent if you feel like it, but I've never felt like it was necessary.

I have been shut out of a shelter. Always bring a tent. It can also be cold there in April, and a tent is warm. Shelters stink, imo :)

moytoy
11-11-2010, 21:08
If you think about it, Florida is the perfect place to train for an April start. You can walk 7 days a week all winter and never really be held up by weather. So it's flat, you just walk faster longer. I do it almost every day, 8-10 miles at 3.2 miles per hour. I go out during a rain storm and walk just to get used to walking in the rain. Probably the most important part of the training prier to the AT start is to condition your feet.
I only go to the mountains once a year to hike with my brother who trains there in the mountains. I can power up a summit with him and he is younger than me, so training in Florida works.

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 21:21
You could likely do a little more, as I have done the trail without conditioning in my early 40s. AT in SNP is a good trail. And you are right on the food option. When does Loft Mtn open? I guess you will be too early for there? Also at Swift Run Gap (RT 33) you can hitch to Ruckersville and our new Wally World Supercenter. If we are around we can give you a ride, but I leave fore the trail in PA in mid April.

thanks for the heads up on the wally world. and yeah, loft mtn. is closed til may or june.

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 21:23
Hiked the SNP a few years ago in early May. I also thought that I could resupply in the park only to discover that not much of all was available until around Memorial day. the resturants were open but the camp stores were not stocked.

not stocked as in what exactly? no resupply at all??? this is a bit worrisome. please advise.

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 21:24
If you think about it, Florida is the perfect place to train for an April start. You can walk 7 days a week all winter and never really be held up by weather. So it's flat, you just walk faster longer. I do it almost every day, 8-10 miles at 3.2 miles per hour. I go out during a rain storm and walk just to get used to walking in the rain. Probably the most important part of the training prier to the AT start is to condition your feet.
I only go to the mountains once a year to hike with my brother who trains there in the mountains. I can power up a summit with him and he is younger than me, so training in Florida works.

yeah thanks moytoy. we have wekiva springs, the wekiva seminole trail out our backyard, and ocala. we plan on doing just what you are talking of. we were even talking about the rain training too. great thoughts. thanks for helping us realize it will be valuable.

garlic08
11-12-2010, 09:22
Nobody's mentioned your pack weight yet. Ten miles per day is a breeze if your load is reasonable. If you're humping 65 pounds of extra blue jeans and beer, maybe not.

You may be surprised at the miles you put in when you have all day to travel.

Megapixel
11-12-2010, 11:06
29lbs fully loaded a 5 days food and water

garlic08
11-12-2010, 11:15
Then you should have no problem at all!

tuswm
11-14-2010, 23:50
last spring I did a section SNP then up to PA. I had no problems resupplying in SNP. There was also a good resupply at the north end of the park. Then I stayed the night at bears den hostel. you can mail drop there. Then resupply at harpers ferry. I went around the local schools spring break. I remember not seeing a single other person for the first week then the local shelters were over flowing, not even a place to put up a tent. Also there was a freak cold front and I was on top of a mountain in SNP and got frostbite in April in VA. It was a weird hike. you will be fine.

Megapixel
11-15-2010, 19:46
last spring I did a section SNP then up to PA. I had no problems resupplying in SNP. There was also a good resupply at the north end of the park. Then I stayed the night at bears den hostel. you can mail drop there. Then resupply at harpers ferry. I went around the local schools spring break. I remember not seeing a single other person for the first week then the local shelters were over flowing, not even a place to put up a tent. Also there was a freak cold front and I was on top of a mountain in SNP and got frostbite in April in VA. It was a weird hike. you will be fine.

when and where in SNP did you resupply? thanks for the info.

tuswm
11-17-2010, 01:22
when and where in SNP did you resupply? thanks for the info.

I dont know the dates but the school system where I worked has its spring break this year starting April 18th so give or take a week. I do remember it was in April.

there was a large campsite about half way up the trail, I think it was called sky meadows or something like that.

check this out
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/facilities-opening-schedule.htm
I stayed at big meadows with some friends that met me for the weekend. It was mile 51 on the road or about half way. I remember they had backpacker friendly food, fuel canisters, and wine. They also had showers.

Dont skip bears den hostel.

Megapixel
11-17-2010, 02:07
^^^ thanks.^^^

Hikemor
11-24-2010, 12:07
Elkton, VA is a good sized town. It could be reliably used as a primary or backup resupply.