PDA

View Full Version : Tortillas

swjohnsey
11-11-2010, 14:01
How available are flour tortillas in the stores along the trail?

peakbagger
11-11-2010, 16:18
I found a lot of small places carrying flour tortillas but less carrying corn. In the 2002 to 2005 time frame we were sectioning down south it was surprising to see the number of hispanic day laborers even in the very rural counties of NC and TN. As you go north, the tortillas are less availlable but I usually found them in most towns grocery stores. I had the option most of the time for car support so my supply routes were somewhat wider than a thru hiker.

Serial 07
11-11-2010, 16:21
basic flour tortillas are everywhere...

garlic08
11-11-2010, 17:59
Flour tortillas are pretty much my staple when I hike and I seldom, if ever, have a problem finding them along any trail in the US.

Grampie
11-11-2010, 18:11
Ate them a lot.. Found them most everywhere along the trail. One caution. I brought a package in Rangeley Maine in the IGA store. The next day I opened the package only to find them covered with mold. The expiration date was three months past.:eek:

mudhead
11-11-2010, 20:24
Ate them a lot.. Found them most everywhere along the trail. One caution. I brought a package in Rangeley Maine in the IGA store. The next day I opened the package only to find them covered with mold. The expiration date was three months past.:eek:

What did you do to tick off the cashier? She probably switched them on you.:)

mweinstone
11-12-2010, 09:51
the availability of a thing on the trail is in direct proprtion to the availability of the trail to a person. so if you ask, how available is the appalachian trail/ the answer is, very for those on the east coast. and simularily, if you ask how available are tortilla on the trail, they are as available as trail itself.

Blissful
11-12-2010, 10:26
Can't get them in many convenience stores that I saw. For me they get old quick. I really liked the flat sandwich bread shaped in circles they have now (can't recall the name) holds up well and packs well. Loved them.

Fiddleback
11-12-2010, 15:24

Wow! I've never seen moldy tortillas. I usually have an opened package on top of the refrigerator and the flour tortillas will be several months old at times. Other than getting stiff, they show no sign of age, mold, etc.. Of course, these are 'major brand' tortillas...consequently they are probably loaded with preservatives unlike local made. The current, opened package of flour burritos dates from mid-September and they are still soft.

Off the subject of spoilage...I just 'discovered' "Flatout Flatbread" at my friendly WalMart Super Center's deli counter. I bought the "Healthy Grain Multi-Grain with Flax" flavor. Man! Is that good eatin'!:)

FB

leaftye
11-12-2010, 16:15

I learned the expiration lesson earlier this year. I bought a pack of meat that had been expired for over a year. It had enough freezer burn to cook it well done and turn it into crispy jerky. We still cooked it up and ate every last pattie. The other food we bought from the same store wasn't much better.

Blissful
11-12-2010, 19:56
I learned the expiration lesson earlier this year. I bought a pack of meat that had been expired for over a year. It had enough freezer burn to cook it well done and turn it into crispy jerky. We still cooked it up and ate every last pattie. The other food we bought from the same store wasn't much better.

Wow and another thread is worried about poison in a river... :eek:
Is the trail safe?

:):)

leaftye
11-12-2010, 20:16
Wow and another thread is worried about poison in a river... :eek:
Is the trail safe?

:):)

A little bit of uranium and expired meat...not a big deal when the rest of my life is considered.

MkBibble
11-13-2010, 13:42
almost every grocery store in texas makes fresh tortillas, which i prefer, but they just don't last NEARLY as long as packaged tortillas - usually less than a week. Packit Gourmet did a test that confirmed this.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/The+Everlasting+Tortilla-sp95.html

Spokes
11-13-2010, 14:36
Can't get them in many convenience stores that I saw. For me they get old quick. I really liked the flat sandwich bread shaped in circles they have now (can't recall the name) holds up well and packs well. Loved them.

Blissful, are you by chance talking about "flatbread"? I find the stuff at Wally World here.

The stuff is nearly indestructable- I mean you can literally roll it up in a ball then unfold it and it's just like new! My best analogy is:
Tortillas are like a space blanket but flatbread is like sil-nylon..... if that makes sense.