PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a Tenn Section Hike

Namaste
11-11-2010, 16:49
So I have this aunt who lives in Kingsport, TN. Haven't seen her in maybe 45 yrs. I'm trying to figure out how I can plan a visit to her plus a section hike (a week). I do not have the book/maps for that section but I will order them as soon as I know which one I should order. Is this section part of the Smokies which requires permits? I'm looking to do this in June or July 2011. Thanks for any help.

Cabin Fever
11-11-2010, 17:51
Nothing outside of the Smokies requires permits. First come, first serve for camp sites and shelters. There are two official AT maps for the section you are referring to - Davenport Gap to Indian Grave Gap and Indian Grave Gap to Damascus. I would recommend hiking the section between Erwin and highway 19E.

If you order the Tennessee/North Carolina map set from ATC or buy it from an outfitter, you will get the Smokies Trails Illustrated map, the two maps I mentioned and the guide book for that area.

bigcranky
11-11-2010, 17:59
Plenty of great week-long sections in Tennessee and NC (the trail goes right down the border for a while.)

Ideas:

Start at Davenport Gap and hike north to Erwin. Resupply in Hot Springs.

Start at Erwin and hike north over the NC/TN balds, end near Dennis Cove Road.

Namaste
11-11-2010, 19:46
Thanks, guys, for the info. Now at least I know something about that area, and I always get excited about ordering books/maps for a new section.

58starter
11-11-2010, 20:50
You are about 40 miles for the AT. You can connect to the AT outside of Johnson City, Tn going east on 321. It crosses the AT near Watagua Lake. You can either hike north or south. Going north you can hike about 25 miles and come out at HWY 421. You will cross 4 shelters. You will climb from 1800 to 3600 in the first 6 miles then it is just ups and downs till the 20mile mark then down hill. Get some maps and check it out.

MedicineMan
11-11-2010, 23:46
and if you need any help with shuttles there are lots of WB members usually willing to help in this area and most of us only chage a pay it forward fee :)

Namaste
11-12-2010, 07:28
Thanks, Medicine Man, I appreciate the shuttle info.

Blissful
11-12-2010, 10:23
I would worry about guidebooks unless you like to carry and use them. A data book or the ALDHA companion sheets for that section is enough (downloadable from the Internet)

Jim Obermeyer
11-12-2010, 10:28
Or Hot Springs to Erwin about 70 miles

sparky2000
11-12-2010, 10:30
after uve enjoyed hiking the AT through that section, I've learned that road hiking this same area is really a lot of fun. Erwin to Johnson City, over the mountains to NC>

Cabin Fever
11-12-2010, 14:07
after uve enjoyed hiking the AT through that section, I've learned that road hiking this same area is really a lot of fun. Erwin to Johnson City, over the mountains to NC>

Why in the world would you do that?

tenn_hiker
12-15-2010, 10:26
Namaste, i plan on hiking the georgia and tennessee-northcarolina section over the summer. maybe we can hike together?

Tennessee Viking
12-15-2010, 14:13
I would suggest on doing anything from Devils Fork Gap outside of Erwin to Watauga Lake or Damascus.

Kingsport is only about 50 minutes to most trailheads around Erwin. 50 minutes from Watauga Lake. About an hour from Damascus.

A lot of the TEHCC (area AT maintaining club) members live Kingsport so you can probably grab a shuttle no problem.

Be sure to go up to Bays Mountain. Lots of trails to get you ready for your section hike.