PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal HOSTEL

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 17:04
Any experiences or knowledge of this place. Can't find a website for em. thanks!

Blissful
11-11-2010, 17:24
The only one I know of Terrapin Hostel and i dont think its running (?). I'd resupply in Front Royal (shopping center a few miles down the road) and then go on to Bears Den personally (get there in 2 days).

Jeff
11-11-2010, 17:30
In 2010 Front Royal Terrapin Station Hostel was open from May 2nd to July 10th. They are listed on page 110 of the Companion. Online version with hostel details can be found here:

http://www.aldha.org/companyn/tn-va10.pdf

Sly
11-11-2010, 19:15
The only one I know of Terrapin Hostel and i dont think its running (?).

I think he closed for a year while he hiked the PCT. As far as I know it will be open in 2011.

Description for the 2011 Companion reads as follows...

Hostel: Front Royal Terrapin Station Hostel, 304 Chester Gap Rd., Chester Gap, VA 22623, (540) 539-0509, (540) 631-0777, immediately on your left along paved road is gate and entrance to hostel. Open May 1 – Jul 4, 2011. Includes bunk with mattress and sheets, shower, soap, shower clothes, laundry detergent, washer and dryer. Free computer access, TV, library, air conditioned, games, music, mail drops held for overnight guests only. Fuel, snacks, sodas, ice cream, oven pizza available. Free trip to town each AM for groceries, post office, etc. Free slacks available for multiple night stays. Shuttles available for all others. Cost is $17.00 per night.

chiefiepoo
11-11-2010, 19:33
Stayed there for night this past June. Crowded, tight bunk room in the lower level of a split level home in a residential subdivision. Snacks were offered at a fair price. It was almost full the night I was there and the well / pump had a difficult time keeping up with the demand for showers. Friendly host, board games to play, typical hiker vibe. Free ride to town for overnighters with stops at grocery, PO, gear as needed as stated above. Not my favorite spot but I'd stop in again,

Megapixel
11-11-2010, 20:43
i must seem like the most thankful person ever, but thanks again! Blissful, that confirms what i was going to do, wait until Bears Den. We used to live 20 minutes from Front Royal, so we know the area. Just were unsure about a hitch. But i guess that will all come in time.

Blissful
11-11-2010, 22:58
I know hitching can be tough. Sometimes people are around so you can get rides. But if I can hitch anyone can. :)

brian039
11-12-2010, 13:20
I wouldn't neccesarily skip Terrapin Station for Bear's Den, Bear's Den is more expensive and there's not as much to do there. I had a really good time at Terrapin Station, he lets the hikers stay in his basement and it really has the feel of being at home. He took us into town to a local bar where we played a trivia game and had beer. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

Sly
11-12-2010, 15:06
I wouldn't neccesarily skip Terrapin Station for Bear's Den, Bear's Den is more expensive and there's not as much to do there. I had a really good time at Terrapin Station, he lets the hikers stay in his basement and it really has the feel of being at home. He took us into town to a local bar where we played a trivia game and had beer. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

It certainly seems worth it. Shower, laundry, a ride in and out of town, etc.

sumnere
11-12-2010, 15:15
Tried to stay there in August. He had closed due to unruly neighbors, if it is the same Front Royal Hostel. He still runs a shuttle service though.

runfifty
11-12-2010, 23:21
I ended up having to stay there for four days due to injury. The owner, Mike Evans, was a great guy. He shuttled me to the doctor, Subway, bookstore, grocery etc. with a cheerful smile. A great place to hang out with lots to entertain you.