PDA

View Full Version : For those with the large Neoair and a pad insulated with down or synthetic

springerfever
11-11-2010, 19:56
I called this company about a month ago and ordered two of the instaflators. They did not charge me for shipping. I talked to the son for a good fifteen minutes about the product and was impressed with his knowledge and his interest in the backpacking community. Their main target group is the swimming pool and lake crowd with flotation devices(A MUCH larger group !!)compared to us backpackers.

Received the products a couple of weeks ago and they are pretty simple and well made. Material is a little flimsy but with care should last quite a while. I use a Neoair large 25" X 78" X 2.5" and it takes two fillings of the instaflator to top it off. Not bad at all and a very easy procedure. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for high volume pads and ones that you want to avoid moisture in the insulation. Best thing is these babies cost like $4.00 each...here's a great video illustrating the principle :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVJzVadiFs

great stuff !!

link to their website :

http://www.themillair.com/

link to Jason Klass and the inventor :

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2010/10/instaflator-closer-look.html

Weight of the device is about 1.25 oz.

burntoutphilosopher
11-11-2010, 20:04
the first generation eXped downmats had a stuff sack that was a filling bag very similar to this.

loved mine, but they pulled the first gen mats with a new style because the inflation valved had a flaw... and when mine finally leaked they replaced it without the cool suffing bag.

Don H
11-11-2010, 23:37
Does the clear tubing fit a Neo?
Looks like you could save a gram or two by cutting off the extra fittings attached if you're not going to need them for your application.
Looks like they need to review their shipping rates. At $3.99 each there's no need to offer a shipping price for orders up to $3.99 and up to $7.50. $1.85 to ship one is reasonable but $6.85 to ship two?

STICK
11-11-2010, 23:45
I am going to have to pick up one of these eventually. Especially now that the weather is getting colder!

springerfever
11-12-2010, 06:28
Does the clear tubing fit a Neo?
Looks like you could save a gram or two by cutting off the extra fittings attached if you're not going to need them for your application.
Looks like they need to review their shipping rates. At $3.99 each there's no need to offer a shipping price for orders up to $3.99 and up to $7.50. $1.85 to ship one is reasonable but $6.85 to ship two?

Clear section of tubing fits the noeair perfectly and probably any other thermarest or similar valve. Yep, I already cut off the two additional fittings. These folks are great to work with, call them. I'm sure they can help you with the shipping. I told them they might expect a few calls from WhiteBlaze members and backpackers in general.

If I could just figure out another use for the inflator, I would feel a lot better about adding the 1.25 oz to my pack !

rcli4
11-12-2010, 16:50
Clear section of tubing fits the noeair perfectly and probably any other thermarest or similar valve. Yep, I already cut off the two additional fittings. These folks are great to work with, call them. I'm sure they can help you with the shipping. I told them they might expect a few calls from WhiteBlaze members and backpackers in general.

If I could just figure out another use for the inflator, I would feel a lot better about adding the 1.25 oz to my pack !

use it for a food bag

Luddite
11-12-2010, 17:09
I wouldn't carry one in my pack but I am definitely going to get one for my pool raft.

STICK
11-12-2010, 17:28
Be great for air mattresses in sub-freezing temperatures. Keeps the moisture out.

Don H
11-12-2010, 18:40
Use it to blow air on the fire to help get it going!

mweinstone
11-12-2010, 18:43
foam pads have this same problem. wait,...no they dont mat. duh. get out!

leaftye
11-12-2010, 20:20

It could a sort of stuff sack, creek fording floatie, pillow, scarf...

STICK
11-13-2010, 00:10
foam pads have this same problem. wait,...no they dont mat. duh. get out!

They are definitely not near as comfortable as an air pad either...

Just sayin

Speakeasy TN
11-13-2010, 11:45
It could a sort of stuff sack, creek fording floatie, pillow, scarf...

Or a hat, a brooch or a pterodactyl!:D

thelowend
11-14-2010, 00:01
They are definitely not near as comfortable as an air pad either...

Just sayin

and they arent as heavy. backpacking is full of trade offs :-?

burntoutphilosopher
11-14-2010, 13:00
... the neo air full length is 14 ounces.

the Z lite full length is ... dun dun dun, 14 ounces !

...those are the weight leaders of both categories ...obviously the Exped downmat is more comfortable than the neo air ... and the ridge rest delux is more comfortable than the Z lite...
but in my experience the difference between a heavy and a light foam mat is HUGE ... inflatables all come much close in comfort ranges. the difference between the most and least comfortable inflatable mat is far less.

to see the mats i use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV51oFZfTWY&feature=related

Luddite
11-14-2010, 14:27

But the Neoair is much more comfortable and not bulky like the Z Lite. Plus, the Neoair has a slightly better R Value.

burntoutphilosopher
11-14-2010, 16:01
^^ absolutely, i am a proponent of the NeoAir ... i own two.

... the only time i use my ridge rest is for bush camping, when there are no resupply opportunities.

springerfever
11-14-2010, 17:51
I tried the regular sized neoair..20 X 72 X 2.5 ..14 oz, but it just was not quite wide enough for my liking. My elbows were off the sides of the 2.5" thick pad and it just was not comfortable. The large neoair..25 X 77 X 2.5..19 oz solved that problem. Ideally I would have preferred the 25" width with a 72" length, but that's just me. This baby is incredibly comfortable but it does take a while to inflate. No biggie..God knows it feels good to sit down after a long day and whats the hurry....but this inflator makes it so easy to fill the pad with no condensation.

I appreciate all the suggestions for alternate uses, but this baby is made out of a fairly fragile material (think grocery bag). The suggestion to use it to help get a fire started is doable but the bag would probably melt if too close to the heat. Thanks for all the suggestions !!

STICK
11-14-2010, 19:33

...those are the weight leaders of both categories ...obviously the Exped downmat is more comfortable than the neo air ... and the ridge rest delux is more comfortable than the Z lite...
but in my experience the difference between a heavy and a light foam mat is HUGE ... inflatables all come much close in comfort ranges. the difference between the most and least comfortable inflatable mat is far less.

to see the mats i use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV51oFZfTWY&feature=related

My thoughts too. Now if you wanted to compare a NeoAir to something like a ThinLight pad there would be a huge weight savings, but I would definitely pay for it when I tried to sleep on it! (I sleep like a baby on my Neo...)

I love my NeoAir. That has been the best purchase I have made so far. I like it better than both my self-inflating pads and much more than my Exped SynMat. The Zlite and blue ccf pads are not even in the same category, for me.

springerfever
03-30-2011, 08:46
Well, looks like Cascade Design is now marketing this product under their name. I hope the inventor had a patent and is sipping pina-coladas in the Caymans !

http://media.cascadedesigns.com/images/product/highres/presskit2011/Therm-a-Rest%20AirTap%20Pump.tif

NEW WINTER 2011/2012! With the pump, any Airtap ™ Therm-a-Rest ® mattress are inflated almost effortlessly and without the hassle of extra baggage: Simply pierce the bottom of any air-tight plastic bag with the pointed end and connect it to the mat valve. To fill the mat, you have to fill the bag with air, hold, and then roll up and thus squeeze the air from the bag into the mat. This process must be repeated at will. The inflation valve can remain permanently attached to the plastic storage bag or, as it can be supplied by a water-tight seal. Lightweight plastic bags are included in the delivery, but it is also storage bags are used.

leaftye
03-30-2011, 10:39
That looks it'd be a good addition to a stuff sack.

Freedom Walker
03-30-2011, 11:22
Thanks spring fever for the updated post or I would have never heard of this device. I am currently sitting at home recovering from neck surgery and will be off work for three more weeks so I am spending more time on whiteblaze getting good tips and this is one. I own a neoair large and love it but it takes 15 to 16 puffs of air and afterwords I am almost hyperventilated so I am definitely interested in this. One concern I have however is its durability. Does anybody have experience with this. Thanks