PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Tec Scout Headlamp

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 18:48
I've been thinking about switching to one of these: http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/scout.html

Anyone have experience with it?

My concern is of course weight, I now have two small LEDs similar to the photon microlights that total at about .8 ounces together. But they are hard to change the batteries in, only have one light level, are not waterproof, and cannot be attached to anything for going handfs free. This seems to be able to beat all that at only an extra once of weight. Also, do you know if the strap weight is included in the 1.85 ounces.

Thanks.

The Solemates
12-12-2004, 19:30
Ive always thought these would be good little guys, but the burn time is much less than say an Aurora headlamp that only weighs 1.15 oz more. and besides that, the coin cell batteries are harder to come by than regular AAA.

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 19:34
So that is a possible no. I also found this cool looking light at about the same weight, anyone try this one yet:

http://www.gerberblades.com/products/view.php?model=0000

It is about the same weight, but uses a AAA. It is just hard to belive it gets 40 hours from a AAA.

TakeABreak
12-12-2004, 19:47
Rock, I would ask a simple question of myself, and that just how will you actually be using the headlamp and for what purpose will you use it, hiking, reading, going to the privy.

If you will be using for night hiking then you may want to go to aheadlamp, but I found a photon II, is all I need for around camp. I night hiked all night once I used a headlamp and was glad I did. It was much heavier than what you are lookig at and definitely go with a light weight one for that, my next was sore at the end of the night from the 8oz'er I was using.

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 19:56
Naw, I don't use a headlap for night hiking. Mainly it is for reading and the occasional set up or cooking task in camp. There would always be the emergency chance of a hike using the lamp, but I have been patrolling in total darkness for years now and perefer not to use a lamp when walking or even when doing most camp chores since it screws up natural nightvision.

The Solemates
12-12-2004, 20:00
I use my headlamp mainly for reading and kicking around camp. However, sometimes I like to go trail running here at home during the night (in winter)and I use it then as well. My Aurora fits these activities well. It is just enough light that I dont meet a tree while running. Besides that, I know the trails well.

The Gerber looks interesting. I am interested to see if anyone has used it. My guess, however, is that it is no where near as bright as the Aurora since it only has one AAA (as opposed to the Aurora's 3) and only one LED (as opposed to the Aurora's 3).

Alligator
12-12-2004, 20:11
I have the Princeton Tech Aurora. I saw the Scout and was thinking that the two LED's would not be enough for night hiking. Provided, that is, that each LED in the Scout was the same output as the Aurora. I tried using a single LED light as a headlamp by velcro-ing it to a simple band I made. It worked fine in camp, but was not enough to hike with. As I find it necessary to have a light that I can hike with for late arrivals, I abandoned this approach. The Gerber that you list might have better output per LED than does the Aurora, so two might be sufficient. I didn't see any light output ratings for the Gerber though.

The 40 hours may not be accurate. The Aurora had higher ratings but was eventually downgraded.

I found a headlamp necessary over a hand held unit. It's very difficult to roll cigarettes, pour shots, and play cards with just one hand...

I agree with The Solemates about batteries. Coin cell batteries are often erratically stocked and the popular sizes are often out of stock, such as a CR-2032 battery. I often have to go to two stores to get them when I need them. Usually about $2.00 each, unless you buy a large lot online. Four coin size batteries for the Scout=$8.00. They are light enough to carry spares though.

Alligator
12-12-2004, 20:18
You know what Rock, I saw a similar styled model with, I believe, two white LED's and one red LED at Advanced Auto near the checkout. And, I think it was $15.00. But I was already out a bunch of money for car repairs and didn't pick it up then. Plus, I didn't have anyone to give it to for Christmas as I bought my nephews headlamps a year or two ago and I thought that the two LED's would not be light enough for hiking at night. So I didn't check on the battery type either:o . If I pass the store, I'll get the company name.

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 20:31
What would be great is a light that runs off a single AA instead of a single AAA, since I already carry a spare set of Lithium AA for my digital camera. This way I could have a common set of back up batteries. There is a Gerber Infinity Ultra that does this, but it isn't a headlamp. Anyone play with one of these?

http://www.gerberblades.com/products/view.php?model=0011

brack
12-12-2004, 21:04
i own the scout. it is perfect for kicking around camp, reading (it has three brightness settings), going to the bathroom at night etc... i have had mine for a year now and use it for all sorts of things on the trail and off. have used it a few times for night hiking. of course it is not as bright as the bigger headlamps but it was always good enough to get me where i was going. also used it to hike 9 miles in the dark while it was snowing. i have not had to replace the batteries yet which is a surprise to me. but i hope this helps let me know if you have anymore questions about the scout...

brack

attroll
12-12-2004, 21:27
I own two of these headlamps. One for my wife and one for me. We use then for everything. I use them for hiking and backpacking, going out into the garage or back yard at night, camping or as a gerneral flashlite. I have had them for almost two years now. They have not burned out yet. Granted I don't leave them on for long periods of time. I do read in my hammock when hiking but usually for not more then 1/2 at a time. I also need to point out that I have not done a lot of hiking with them yet. I don't know how long they will acually last.

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 22:08
Troll, I assume you mean the Princeton Tec headlamp of my original post. So as I take it from you and brack, they work well for my general uses?

grrickar
12-12-2004, 23:14
Hey Rock, For reading and those midnight trips to the privy, I use one of these: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=28780307
It has a nice clip so I can clip it to the top of the tent and use it as a reading light, or clip it to my sleeping bag zipper so it is easy to find late at night. It has three levels of brightness too. The dimmest setting is plenty bright for reading. The newer version of this comes with a clip to clip it on the bill of a hat. It uses coin cells also. I think the new version is called the Eclipse II.

It has an automatic shutoff, and the switch does not require that you keep it depressed (some pinchlights are that way, in order to keep them on you have to keep pressure on the switch).

My Princeton Tec Aurora is great for night hiking. I hiked about 2 hours in the dark to get to Fontana Dam with it last trip.

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 23:24
Looks like it is about as small as those other little LED lights.

grrickar
12-12-2004, 23:51
The eclipse is between a quarter and a half dollar in size, so a decent bit larger than a photon microlight.

Here's a link to the Eclipse II, which sports longer battery life and a clip that will attach it to the brim of a hat: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39151712

The batteries on both are coin cell, but are easy to change.

attroll
12-12-2004, 23:52
Troll, I assume you mean the Princeton Tec headlamp of my original post. So as I take it from you and brack, they work well for my general uses?
Yes I was talking about you original post.

Alligator
12-13-2004, 00:00
Just a thought about backup batteries. With my Aurora, I don't carry them. Most trips are only a couple of days. I rarely turn the power higher than low. If the light looks to be too dim before I set out, I either recharge or replace the batteries. I have a pulsar for backup.

It may have been the Energizer model I saw with the 2 white and 1 red.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=32893787&memberId=12500226

2.5 oz.

Youngblood
12-13-2004, 07:20
Just a thought about backup batteries. With my , I don't carry them. Most trips are only a couple of days. I rarely turn the power higher than low. If the light looks to be too dim before I set out, I either recharge or replace the batteries. I have a pulsar for backup.

It may have been the Energizer model I saw with the 2 white and 1 red.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=32893787&memberId=12500226

2.5 oz.

Alligator,

I also use the Aurora and keep it in with a few other things in a small silnylon stuffsack that I store in the front mesh pocket of my backpack. The ON switch is not recessed and that has been turned on accidentally at times by me when I push its silnylon stuff sack into the front mesh pocket or even when I am stuffing other things into the front mesh pocket. Most times I see it shining through, but one time I didn't and it ran the battery out. Luckily this was on the way home and I realized what had happened when I unpacked... I always check it when I put it away or take it out at home. Have you had any problems with the switch getting turned on accidentally?

Youngblood

baseballswthrt
12-13-2004, 08:02
Sgt. Rock,

I bought an Energizer LED headlamp at Wally World for $9.95. I has 2 white and one red light and uses 3 AAA batteries. At 2.7 oz it is heavier than the Scout by 1 oz, but it is great to use around camp and I could hike with it if I needed to. I like the red lamp for trips to the privy in the night! It helps to have my hands free to set up camp, cook, etc.

Anita

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 08:39
Does the Enigizer wight at 2.7 include batteries? AAA Lithium batteries are now available and I could see going that way:

http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewproduct.asp?sku=EVEL92BP2

baseballswthrt
12-13-2004, 08:43
Does the Enigizer wight at 2.7 include batteries? AAA Lithium batteries are now available and I could see going that way:

http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewproduct.asp?sku=EVEL92BP2
Yes, with 3 AAA batteries.

Anita

baseballswthrt
12-13-2004, 08:59
The light weighs 1.5 oz and the 3 batteries are 1.2 oz. It works well! And it was cheap...

Anita

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 09:03
Does the enigizer come off the band so it can be hoked to a hat or something like the Princeton Tec?

baseballswthrt
12-13-2004, 09:18
No...it is firmly attatched. I did wear it over a ball style cap at a shelter once when my hair was too dirty to be out! LOL!

Anita

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 09:20
I just read a review of the energizer over at www.flashlightreviews.com - said it wan't waterproof. Ever have any issues with water?

Groucho
12-13-2004, 09:47
Got this a few months ago. Uses 3 AA's. 3 lights-1 white led; 2 bank red led; adjustable halogen lamp. Wt-92 g (3.3oz) without batteries. The top headband is removable for a 10 g weight reduction. Under 15 at walmart.Review (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20Hybrid/Rayovac_Sportsman_3_in_1_Head_Lamp/Rayovac%20Sportsman%203-in-1%20Headlamp%20-%20B.%20Atkins/)

I haven't used this on the trail (have the Aurora), but may check it out on a local trail soon. I have read with the white LED and used the halogen to spotlight stuff I was repairing.

SGT Rock
12-13-2004, 11:29
I went down to my outfitters to look at headlamps, the didn't carry the Prisnceton Tec Scout at all, but they do carry Petzl lights. The Zipka Plus looks like a good, lightweight lamp with various power settings. Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?MotRecherche=Quick+Search&pays=0&Langue=en&Gamme=48&Critere=0&Produit=464&ProduitAssocie=

It is supposed to be about 2.3 with three batteries and it is water resistant with multiple power settings.

I also picked up one of these:

http://www.princetontec.com/outdoor_blast.html

It hooks onto the bill of my hat and stays on. VERY bright - but no adjustable light setting for when I want lower light levels. The battery life span is also not what I am looking for in a good backpacking lamp, but it will be nice for the car or something similar.

Alligator
12-13-2004, 11:34
Alligator,

I also use the Aurora and keep it in with a few other things in a small silnylon stuffsack that I store in the front mesh pocket of my backpack. The ON switch is not recessed and that has been turned on accidentally at times by me when I push its silnylon stuff sack into the front mesh pocket or even when I am stuffing other things into the front mesh pocket. Most times I see it shining through, but one time I didn't and it ran the battery out. Luckily this was on the way home and I realized what had happened when I unpacked... I always check it when I put it away or take it out at home. Have you had any problems with the switch getting turned on accidentally?

Youngblood
No, I have never had it turn on accidentally. I just put it in my top lid, things are loose up there. It does have that 1-2 second delay hold-down feature. But I guess if it got stuck up against something it could turn on like yours did. I check it before I go out though for battery strength, dark basement helps. My Petzl used to turn on all the time, the old incandescent style that you twist. Now, I have had the switch break on my Aurora, but I sent it back to REI. It was replaced and I ended up getting another free Pulsar:).

I should say that I may reconsider carrying spares in the winter. I was thinking about this last night. Regular batteries don't work as well in the cold. I do bring three lights though, the headlamp a pulsar, and a photon II in the winter. The only thing is the two small ones would be difficult to hike in with gloves, but I do have a binder clip for the photon II. I had massive light failures in Mahoosuc Notch during the winter once, so I am a little wary.

The Solemates
12-13-2004, 14:57
I went down to my outfitters to look at headlamps, the didn't carry the Prisnceton Tec Scout at all, but they do carry Petzl lights. The Zipka Plus looks like a good, lightweight lamp with various power settings. Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?MotRecherche=Quick+Search&pays=0&Langue=en&Gamme=48&Critere=0&Produit=464&ProduitAssocie=

It is supposed to be about 2.3 with three batteries and it is water resistant with multiple power settings.

I also picked up one of these:

http://www.princetontec.com/outdoor_blast.html

It hooks onto the bill of my hat and stays on. VERY bright - but no adjustable light setting for when I want lower light levels. The battery life span is also not what I am looking for in a good backpacking lamp, but it will be nice for the car or something similar.

Lady Solemates uses a Zipka and loves it. It is almost identical
to the Aurora.

Groucho
12-13-2004, 16:13
Now, I have had the switch break on my Aurora, but I sent it back to REI. It was replaced and I ended up getting another free Pulsar:).
I gave one to a friend. Batteries in, turned it on-great! Wouldn't turn off. Took it apart, but couldn't fix it. Didn't look like a sturdy job at the switch. Anyone else have trouble with the switch? I haven't with mine, but I treat it as gently as possible.

baseballswthrt
12-13-2004, 16:31
I just read a review of the energizer over at www.flashlightreviews.com (http://www.flashlightreviews.com) - said it wan't waterproof. Ever have any issues with water?
I admit, I haven't used it in pouring rain. I use it in the tent and out to the privy and haven't gotten it really wet. I'm sure I've used it in the rain at night to get to the privy, but I usually throw on my Frogg Toggs jacket but I don't always use the hood then. It still works...

Anita