PDA

View Full Version : Taking Suggestions

Old Spice
11-12-2010, 18:03
Back in 2006 I attempted to hike NOBO, but had to get off trail in northern Virginia due to a lack of funds. I'm planning on hiking GA>ME in 2012 to fulfill my dream of thru-hiking the A.T. I've been doing a lot of reflection on why I didn't make it (other than running out of money) and one thing has become really clear to me: I wasn't as willing as I could've been to take suggestions from those who had hiked before me.

For example, and much to my chagrin, I was convinced I could use a summer bag starting in early April if only I used an emergency bivy to add extra insulation. Lots of people suggested that I'd still be cold. I didn't listen and what I found was that I was cold... very cold on a few nights actually. Furthermore, the emergency bivy got all kinds of condensation in it and drenched my down bag on the first night. I didn't die and most nights my 35 degree WM highlite was fine (with all my clothes and a silk liner), but had I followed the simple suggestion of those who had experience I didn't have, my hike would have involved less unnecessary hardship than it did in this example.

I wonder how much little things like this contributed to my case of the "Virginia Blues" that coupled with low funds made it that much easier to get off the trail.

I guess you don't know what you don't know and its easy to see in hindsight where you could've been more willing to listen. Hopefully this time around I'll be that much more open.

yari
11-12-2010, 18:20
Good for you, it is tough to admit you made a mistake.

I wish you all good luck on your next attempt!

(I would give you some advice but, I haven't thru hiked and am way outclassed on this board. lol)

GracefulRoll
11-12-2010, 18:26
Haven't thru-hiked yet, but...
I know that on cold nights at high elevations (or low ones) either hiking or just camping somewhere, wool is my best friend. While it can be heavy as a coat, I suggest it at least for socks and one layer.

I'd rather carry a little extra weight than be cold.

Cookerhiker
11-12-2010, 18:32
This is more a question than suggestion: you referred to a "thruhike" dream so I guess that's important to you. But since you hiked what, 850, 900 miles or so, have you considered resuming where you left off rather than re-hiking those miles? In other words, completing the AT as 2 long section hikes?

mweinstone
11-12-2010, 18:48
suggestion. your thread starters too long . didnt read it. maby condence it to attract problem solvers from all walks of impatience.just a thaught.good luck, this is a fine site for answers. they will help you here.

Blissful
11-12-2010, 19:49
since you hiked what, 850, 900 miles or so, have you considered resuming where you left off rather than re-hiking those miles? In other words, completing the AT as 2 long section hikes?

I totally agree with this. And its cheaper to do it this way too. If funding was the issue that made you get off last time, makes sense to start where you left off. You get no bigger medal whether you stand on Katahdin on a thru or in sections. But you can have fulfillment knowing that you finished what you began. And I think that is the bigger achievement. :)

Luddite
11-12-2010, 20:09
I attempted a thru in '06 too. Was that your trail name? cuz I think i remember an Old Spice.

I got Mono on the third week I was out and just used that as an excuse to get off the trail. I pussied out. I'm doing it next year though.

You should try again.

DapperD
11-12-2010, 20:48
Back in 2006 I attempted to hike NOBO, but had to get off trail in northern Virginia due to a lack of funds. I'm planning on hiking GA>ME in 2012 to fulfill my dream of thru-hiking the A.T. I've been doing a lot of reflection on why I didn't make it (other than running out of money) and one thing has become really clear to me: I wasn't as willing as I could've been to take suggestions from those who had hiked before me.

For example, and much to my chagrin, I was convinced I could use a summer bag starting in early April if only I used an emergency bivy to add extra insulation. Lots of people suggested that I'd still be cold. I didn't listen and what I found was that I was cold... very cold on a few nights actually. Furthermore, the emergency bivy got all kinds of condensation in it and drenched my down bag on the first night. I didn't die and most nights my 35 degree WM highlite was fine (with all my clothes and a silk liner), but had I followed the simple suggestion of those who had experience I didn't have, my hike would have involved less unnecessary hardship than it did in this example.

I wonder how much little things like this contributed to my case of the "Virginia Blues" that coupled with low funds made it that much easier to get off the trail.

I guess you don't know what you don't know and its easy to see in hindsight where you could've been more willing to listen. Hopefully this time around I'll be that much more open.Hey, give yourself credit for the miles you did do back in 2006, it was a great accomplishment! Many times we all feel we know the answer to things, we have ideas what way things are or feel we have the knowledge and ability to make our own decisions regarding different matters. Sometimes it turns out that maybe it would have been better had we listened more to other's suggestions, then so be it, this sometimes is what it takes for us to learn. Regardless of your decisions, if you made it to Virginia you did great. And running out of funds would pretty much be a hike ender for anybody. I would listen to the suggestions other's have made in regards to maybe just getting back on the trail where you left off. It will increase your chances of finishing the entire trail, and you will be able to enjoy what the rest of the trail and the different towns in the North have to offer. This will make the hike interesting right from the start and may even help sustain the hike and your completion of the entire trail. If you are dead set on completing the entire trail in one season, then go for it. Maybe if time is not a factor, start in Maine and head Southbound. Then if you run out of steam, maybe it won't be until you complete up to the point you had originally left the trail in 2006 and then if you decide you have had enough you can walk away and will have still done the entire trail. Whatever you choose to do, you are a little older and it appears a lot wiser from your original experience and will most likely succeed regardless of the choice you make out there. Good Luck

Pony
11-12-2010, 23:48
This sounds familiar. I got off the trail in Damascus two years ago, for no other reason than I wasn't enjoying myself. This past spring I continued north out of Damascus and was able to finish the trail. Initially I wasn't sure how this hike would go, but a couple of years and a change in attitude did me a world of good. I think the biggest thing that helped me finish was flexibility. The first time around, if I made my mind up I was going to hike 20 miles, I hiked it regardless. This time my plans were subject to change by the minute. I also kept my interests first instead of doing what my friends were doing. The beauty of the trail is that you have absolute freedom to do what you want, when you want to do it, for the most part. If you stay true to yourself and live in the moment I think you'll be fine.

FWIW, I would suggest picking up where you left off, and when you get to Katahdin, if you still feel like you need to hike the entire trail in one year, flip south and finish everything from GA to northern Va. Good luck.

Tuts
11-13-2010, 01:47
It's great that the trail bug bit you because it seems like you really want to get going now. I'm glad to hear it. About the sleeping bag thing... I thru-hiked starting feb 09 with a 40 degree bag and a silk liner. I did have some cold nights but from my experience, if you are motivated enough to complete it... then nothing will get in your way. My advice is to focus as hard as you can on your objective. Want to complete it as much as you can. Anyone can find excuses to get off the trail... they are abound. "The weather's bad" "The trail is too long" "I went too fast and got ahead of all the people I was with and got lonely" "I developed a foot problem" "The weather was too hot" There are thousands of excuses as to why people left the trail, most of them legit... but if you really want it as badly as a person can, nothing will get in your way. Stiffin your resolve and you can make it.
Another suggestion is to do a southbound hike and end in Virginia where you left off if you feel like it. If you don't feel like ending it there then finish up. Lots of options but definitely pick one asap so you can start preparing. Good luck. I really hope you make it.

Blissful
11-13-2010, 13:04
I attempted a thru in '06 too. Was that your trail name? cuz I think i remember an Old Spice.

I got Mono on the third week I was out and just used that as an excuse to get off the trail. I pussied out. I'm doing it next year though.

You should try again.

Not sure how one can say mono is a lame excuse to leave the trail. It's a disease! My brother had it for several weeks and still had after effects from it. Took several months for a full recovery.

Grampie
11-13-2010, 13:19
This is more a question than suggestion: you referred to a "thruhike" dream so I guess that's important to you. But since you hiked what, 850, 900 miles or so, have you considered resuming where you left off rather than re-hiking those miles? In other words, completing the AT as 2 long section hikes?

Cookie hiker got the right idea. You have experienced enough trail so that you are aware of what a thru-hike is all about. This experience will definately help you to finish it.
My first attempt I got to Fontana and had to leave the trail with a stress fracture. The following year, after much thought, I started at Fontana and headed NOBO. When folks asked mw if I was a thru-hiker I said I didn't know. I was just walking north to Maine. Now I just say that I walked the whole trail.

Moose2001
11-13-2010, 13:26
Old Spice.....congrats on being able to see the mistakes you made and being brave enough to admit them. I disagree with the comments about picking up where you left off. It appears your dream is an end-to-end from Springer, North. If that's true, then follow that dream. To do otherwise will leave you wondering about what might have been. Getting a second chance to do a long hike is a rare thing for most people. Make the best of it.

As far as life on the trail goes....there's a great Steve Winwood song that I often quote. Roll with it baby! Be flexible. Keep smiling. Enjoy life. Take a break. Enjoy a town stop. Hang out on top of a mountain. Lay in a meadow and enjoy the sun. Revel in trail life. 6 months passes in a blink of the eye. Live it like there's not going to be another chance.

Luddite
11-13-2010, 13:32
Not sure how one can say mono is a lame excuse to leave the trail. It's a disease! My brother had it for several weeks and still had after effects from it. Took several months for a full recovery.

I felt alright after about 4 weeks and it was still relatively early in the season...I think early May and I got off at New Found Gap. Mono does really suck, especially because of how tired it makes you. Had to stay with family in Hiawassee. I probably could have made it to Maine if I really pushed it, but I was an undisciplined teenager back then.

Anyways...good luck in 2012 Old Spice.

jesse
11-13-2010, 15:35
I say celebrate the miles you walked, don't give a second thought to the ones you didn't walk, and you have plenty to celebrate. Have fun and enjoy 2012.
Don't know if you figured out your sleeping/shelter arrangement, but living in NY, I would suggest you become an expert on Winter camping between now and then. Find what works for you.

Cookerhiker
11-13-2010, 15:36
I felt alright after about 4 weeks and it was still relatively early in the season...I think early May and I got off at New Found Gap. Mono does really suck, especially because of how tired it makes you. Had to stay with family in Hiawassee. I probably could have made it to Maine if I really pushed it, but I was an undisciplined teenager back then.

Anyways...good luck in 2012 Old Spice.

But during those 4 weeks after which you "felt alright," did you mostly rest or did you exercise some (or alot)? Feeling better after a 4 week rest doesn't mean you were sufficiently recovered to strap a backpack on and hike another 2,000 miles.