PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for inexpensive trekking poles

jerseydave
11-13-2010, 10:03
I ordered these from Sierra trading post, and have not gotten them yet so I can not give you a review.

I just wanted to make anyone interested aware of what I think is a good price on some trekking poles.

Mountainsmith Poles - pair for $25 shipped

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1890G_Mountainsmith-Trekking-Poles-Paired.html

TYPE THE WORD PARKS AS A COUPON CODE TO GET THE ADDITIONAL DISCOUNT

Dave

Hikerhead
11-13-2010, 10:06
I'd buy them.

burntoutphilosopher
11-13-2010, 16:46
wowza, weight 1lb 12 oz ( 28 ounces ) a pair !~!~

be careful in using 6061 aluminum, it is nowhere near the strength that the 7075 aluminum most name brand poles are.

Luddite
11-13-2010, 16:51
I like my poles made in the czech republic, not China. Still a good deal I guess.

jerseydave
11-16-2010, 21:50
Came home tonight to find the UPS man left me a present.

For inexpensive poles I'm very happy and impressed.

Obviously haven't tried them out yet, but they seem sturdy, the locks work well, and support my full weight (185) when both are held together without any flexing or slippage.

I think I may have done OK for $25....... time will tell, hopefully try em out this weekend......... back to the DWG area, hiking back to Sunfish Pond but this time from the North, departing from Camp Mohican. Doing an out and back.

Supposedly nice and rocky so I'll be able to put em to good use.

Dave

Sierra Echo
11-16-2010, 22:21
I won't buy anything from Sierra Trading Post because they sell fur. :mad:

Luddite
11-16-2010, 22:24

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but I think thats a good enough reason not to buy from them.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2010, 22:26

fur is good

Helios
11-16-2010, 22:27
I, for one, and interested in how these poles work out this weekend. Keep us posted please!!

Sierra Echo
11-16-2010, 22:27
fur is good

you wouldn't think so if it was being ripped from your body while you were still alive.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2010, 22:30
oy...... :rolleyes:

Luddite
11-16-2010, 22:40
you wouldn't think so if it was being ripped from your body while you were still alive.

You ever hear of live plucking? We might consider geese "feathered friends", but I bet ya they don't consider us friends.

kayak karl
11-16-2010, 22:40
i think its called waxing :D

Lone Wolf
11-16-2010, 22:42

exactly what animal is that done to and where. show real proof

Sierra Echo
11-16-2010, 22:44
exactly what animal is that done to and where. show real proof

it is done to harp seals during the canadian seal slaughter. It is done to foxes, minks, chinchillas etc on fur farms. As for video proof, research it on your own. I have seen enough.

Skidsteer
11-16-2010, 22:46

Salons charge big bucks for that.

Seriously though, do you use down products? IIRC, most down(like 99%), particularly the lower fill weight down, comes from "food geese".

Sierra Echo
11-16-2010, 22:48
Salons charge big bucks for that.

Seriously though, do you use down products? IIRC, most down(like 99%), particularly the lower fill weight down, comes from "food geese".

nope! Never have! my lifestyle is one that is cruelty free.

skinewmexico
11-16-2010, 23:00

Really? Feed starving children, help the homeless, all that?

Luddite
11-16-2010, 23:01

Are you vegan or just a vegitarian?

Luddite
11-16-2010, 23:03
*Vegetarian

Really? Feed starving children, help the homeless, all that?

Cruelty-free - The cruelty-free movement has developed from veganism into a philosophy of life that aims to avoid all the products of cruelty to humans or animals.

burntoutphilosopher
11-16-2010, 23:06
wow this thread exploded ... and not about trekkng poles.

let us know how the bargain poles work out !~!~

Lone Wolf
11-16-2010, 23:07

thousands of small furry mammals are killed, mutilated and maimed during the harvesting of the veggies you consume

burntoutphilosopher
11-16-2010, 23:10
^^ not to mention how the lettuce feels ; )

Sierra Echo
11-17-2010, 00:02
Are you vegan or just a vegitarian?

Vegan. But not quite as strict as I use to be. Every now and then I will have a little honey flavored bread.

Sierra Echo
11-17-2010, 00:05
thousands of small furry mammals are killed, mutilated and maimed during the harvesting of the veggies you consume

I dont think so. All of my veggies come from my grandfathers garden. We grow them and can them. Im sorry my lifestyle choices offend you so, but I really don't care what you think about them. Just sayin.

Lone Wolf
11-17-2010, 02:27
Im sorry my lifestyle choices offend you so, but I really don't care what you think about them. Just sayin.

oh no offense at all. just be aware or your hypocrisy

TheTwanger
11-17-2010, 03:28
hypocrisy,... really?

jerseydave
11-17-2010, 07:06
:eek:
TREKKING POLES
please

Sierra Echo
11-17-2010, 07:11
hypocrisy,... really?

No kiddin!
However, there are people out there who get their panties in a wad when they found out that I choose to live in a compassionate way. Lone Wolf has shown that perhaps his lifestyle isnt as compassionate as perhaps he would wish it would be. Now I think its time for Lone Wolf to grow up and stop with the personal attacks. Remember LW, its never to late to start making a difference.

Rocketman
11-17-2010, 08:32
*Vegetarian

Cruelty-free - The cruelty-free movement has developed from veganism into a philosophy of life that aims to avoid all the products of cruelty to humans or animals.

Does that include complete avoidance of food grown on newly cleared fields which involves the wiping out of millions of insects and small animals?

Pedaling Fool
11-17-2010, 09:16
Came home tonight to find the UPS man left me a present.

For inexpensive poles I'm very happy and impressed.

Obviously haven't tried them out yet, but they seem sturdy, the locks work well, and support my full weight (185) when both are held together without any flexing or slippage.

I think I may have done OK for $25....... time will tell, hopefully try em out this weekend......... back to the DWG area, hiking back to Sunfish Pond but this time from the North, departing from Camp Mohican. Doing an out and back.

Supposedly nice and rocky so I'll be able to put em to good use.

Dave
I think you would have been better off just getting a pair at walmart. We have a new "**outfitter" here in Jax (**I use that word loosely), it's actually like a Sports Authority-type store, but worse...It's called Academy Sports.

Any way they sell Mountainsmith gear and I just wasn't impressed. But I could be wrong, anyone have experience with Mountainsmith?

Elder
11-17-2010, 09:49
Mountainsmith was the best at one time..packs that is. They are not so much now.
The Mountainsmith poles appear to be low bidder...nuf said.
Two poles together did not collapse? Try one at a time.

Yes, I am the Leki guy...:sun

4eyedbuzzard
11-17-2010, 14:11
TREKKING POLES!!!:eek:

Sierra Trading Post (cruel - but cheap) had a 25 / 30 / 35% off deal going on - Leki Corklite poles were under $60 if you purchased $150 or more total for the 35% off.

Luddite
11-17-2010, 14:24

Sierra Trading Post (cruel - but cheap) had a 25 / 30 / 35% off deal going on - Leki Corklite poles were under $60 if you purchased $150 or more total for the 35% off.

And they have carbon Komperdell poles for 120 bucks. Has anybody used these before?

Blissful
11-17-2010, 15:22

Sierra Trading Post (cruel - but cheap) .

This is dumb. STP is a great company. They are not "cruel"
Our society is totally cruel and disgusting and hypocritical for a law that allows aborting our children. We can save the animals but not our kids. I assume cruelty free means also staunchly pro life (and STP is, btw).
Anyway, Get your TREKKING POLES or whatever from a reputable company like STP! (I just got my Royal Robbins hiking pants from them. And my hat. And a gift for my hubby)

Luddite
11-17-2010, 15:46
hey are not "cruel"
Our society is totally cruel and disgusting and hypocritical for a law that allows aborting our children.

Maybe some day when Joel Osteen is president abortion will be illegal and maybe adultery too. And racism, hatred, bigotry, working on Sunday, etc. :banana

Morality and law are not the same.

jerseydave
11-17-2010, 16:31
Mountainsmith was the best at one time..packs that is. They are not so much now.
The Mountainsmith poles appear to be low bidder...nuf said.
Two poles together did not collapse? Try one at a time.

Yes, I am the Leki guy...:sun

I never suggested these were top quality gear.
Never compared them to any other brand.

Simply stated they were inexpensive and was pleased with what I saw when delivered. Gave a heads up for anyone that might be interested.

I'm sure there are much better poles out there, hell these may even be the WORST ones ever built........ I never vouched for them, the brand, the supplier, shipper, or any other soul that may or may not have at one time considered touching them.

I just figured that if there was anyone else out there, like me, that could use an inexpensive set for the few times a year they might find a need for them, it'd be worth a look.

I don't even need them to support my full weight whether it be two at a time or as a single........... I only plan on using them to stab small furry creatures on the trail anyway.

I'm done,
Dave

daddytwosticks
11-17-2010, 17:12
jerseydave...thank you for the information you shared. Sorry you got such a hassle over a simple, thoughtful item you posted. But then again, this is the internet. :)

jerseydave
11-17-2010, 17:34
jerseydave...thank you for the information you shared. Sorry you got such a hassle over a simple, thoughtful item you posted. But then again, this is the internet. :)

..........;)

4eyedbuzzard
11-17-2010, 17:40
This is dumb. STP is a great company. They are not "cruel"
Our society is totally cruel and disgusting and hypocritical. . .

Yep. On pretty much every side of every issue :-?.
FWIW, I was being sarcastic (sorry if I didn't put in a :rolleyes:). LW is the King of pithiness. I reign over sarcasm. :D

Boo-shay
11-17-2010, 18:31
All types of trekking poles can break no matter how much they cost, I have seen it a lot so best to get the cheapest possible!

Elder
11-17-2010, 18:57
All types of trekking poles can break no matter how much they cost, I have seen it a lot so best to get the cheapest possible!
It is not can they break, but When, and Where, and does the company fix them along the trail? :eek:

and, again, Yes I am the Leki guy.
Expect nothing but the best!

Wilson
11-17-2010, 19:39
It is not can they break, but When, and Where, and does the company fix them along the trail? :eek:

and, again, Yes I am the Leki guy.
Expect nothing but the best!
So is the high price because u know you're gonna hafta fix em?

DrRichardCranium
11-17-2010, 19:52
I once bought some cheapo $40 poles at Target. They were crap. One colllapsed immediately and the other one had one of its segments break as soon as I tried to use it. Target was nice about refunding my money.

jerseydave
11-20-2010, 22:44
Used them extensively today for the first time.

10 miles on a rocky section of the AT from Camp Mohican to Sunfish Pond, taking a detour onto Kaiser Road/ Coppermine Trail on the return.

Performed well, relied on them for support and balance without hesitation or caution and was pleased.

If you would like what appears to be a usable pair of poles at a reasonable price, you might like these.

The above is posted with the assumption that you are not going to be traumatized if there isn't a name brand logo ornamenting the shafts of these sticks.

Disclaimer: To my knowledge there where no cute and cuddly furry creatures harmed during the posting of this material.

Driver8
11-21-2010, 00:38
REI is 25% off on their store-brand poles. Went for a pair of Traverse Shocklights. Just couldn't make myself spring for Lekis or BD. Not yet. Also picked up a new day pack - REI 40 large. Christmas coming early!

4eyedbuzzard
11-21-2010, 00:53
I bought a pair of the Mountainsmiths for $18 and a pair of the Leki Corklites from STP for $58 the other day. My daughter gets the Mountainsmiths as a present. Bought two pair of snowshoes too - we're going to try snowshoeing this winter.

Windcatcher
11-21-2010, 09:23
From the merits of discount hiking poles to participation in the cruelty free movement, quite a deviation.

burntoutphilosopher
11-21-2010, 11:33
wait till sierra echo sees my newest trekking poles made from lambs tibulas... we take the bones and bond them together with the sinew of african lions and use those as our trekking poles.

there, i tied it all together. RIP.

Skidsteer
11-21-2010, 12:01
wait till sierra echo sees my newest trekking poles made from lambs tibulas... we take the bones and bond them together with the sinew of african lions and use those as our trekking poles.

there, i tied it all together. RIP.

Not so fast.

Somebody has to call you a Nazi for the thread to be truly complete. :D

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 12:06
http://www.clevelandwomen.com/images/powwow/ge8.jpg

I didn't have to look too hard for a staff with fur, I have personally seen real Hawk & Eagle heads on the top of the staffs. The Indians have a legitimate ability around our current laws for ceremonial purpose.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2010, 12:11
a dude dresseed in "made in china" indian stuff, so?

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 12:15
You think, Haha. Maybe..for some of it. IF you look carefully thats deer hide, Turkey Feathers, and other animal parts.

Still trying to understand how a thread for cheap treking poles went into beating baby harp seals for their hides.

Those poles look a lot like the Walmart ones.

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 12:29

SE I have to call you out on this stupid thread swerve...

Closeouts. Become one with the wild when you gear up in Columbia Sportswear's Sasquatch-inspired Grizzly Bear hunting jacket. A toasty modacrylic faux-fur shell joins a hunter friendly quilted recoil pad for a great balance of warmth and performance.

I am not calling you dumb - just uninformed! I seriously looked the catalog over and I am not going to bother calling them to see if they do. I could not find anything in the store that even suggests they sell fur.

mister krabs
11-21-2010, 12:47
I am not calling you dumb - just uninformed! I seriously looked the catalog over and I am not going to bother calling them to see if they do. I could not find anything in the store that even suggests they sell fur.

Agree that the thread drift is stupid, but to each his own. They do sell fur. (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?allwords=fur&searchdescriptions=True)

mister krabs
11-21-2010, 12:48
warming luxurious fur from delicious animals.

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 12:52
Thanks MK Still a ton of faux fur, small bits of fox and cyote... I just don't see the problem with it, its still a far cry from beating Harp Seals. I stand corrected.

johnnybgood
11-21-2010, 12:59
The cheapest poles ,(the only poles I own) were bought from a hiking buddy of mine who sold them to me for $15. So inquiring here in gear forum would be a good start.

Look for closeouts at on-line outfitters trying to make space for the next years product line coming in.
Also , REI has garage sales where product returns are sold to members at below wholesale costs.
One caveat to mention regarding REI garage sales; the best opportunity to score cheap hiking poles at these sales is to get there insanely early, so as to reserve a spot at being amongst the first group to shop.

mister krabs
11-21-2010, 12:59
Lots of cute and delicious bunnies too. It would be a shame if the carcasses were going to waste. Did you hear that purdue is now making diesel from chickens?

daddytwosticks
11-21-2010, 15:22
While out walking today, I stepped on an ant hill....am I going to hell? :)

Luddite
11-21-2010, 15:32
While out walking today, I stepped on an ant hill....am I going to hell? :)

Depends. Any casualties? I see that you're from Murphy... Is the No Name Deli still around?

It would be a shame if the carcasses were going to waste.

I agree, It would be wasteful. Who knows they might have been killed just for their fur and thats cruel.

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 15:33
Apparently I am, I get up each morning and kill something, bed bugs, ants, roaches, squirrels etc...
Its called Pest Control...look at the size of this guy, he was very heavy and filled the medium sized cage.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/DSCF3523.jpg

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 15:35

Luddite
11-21-2010, 15:42
Jeez, thats a well fed raccoon.

So what do Vegetarians do on Thanksgiving? - Sweet Potato Stuffin?

Tofurky! (http://www.tofurky.com/)

jerseydave
11-21-2010, 15:51
I'm sorry but we are drifting off in the other direction now.......

It's my nature to let my feelings be known, so I couldn't help returning a few jabs about the sensitivity of some of the posts made in the thread.

It's not appropriate however if we hijack the thread in the opposite direction to continually ridicule either.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and justifications, it's what keeps this world interesting (and sometimes dangerous) I suppose.

I'm gonna stop stirring the pot now and ask that no one take any of this too seriously please..... it'd be foolish to create problems between members just because of a thread about hiking gear....... speaking of which, I gotta go back to fondling mine.......

GEAR that is..... get your minds outta the gutter folks.......

Have a good day everyone,
Dave

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 15:59
I agree JD - hense I tried to erase what I said, no matter. Hey it's all in fun.