PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in George Washington NF

Aesculus
11-13-2010, 14:41
I am planning on doing a section hike in VA from Rockfish Gap to Big Island during Virginia's "Deer Firearm" season. Is hunting allowed in George Washington NF? Unless I am wrong, it appears that for a majority of the time, I will be in the NF. I am planning on bringing a few Blaze Orange items, but I would like to know if I am safe or not, at least legally speaking?

Sly
11-13-2010, 15:15
I think all NF's have hunting season. Shots ringing in the air gets your heart pumping but it's not the type of adrenalin rush I like. If you must, I'd go for a blaze orange pack cover and hat.

emerald
11-13-2010, 15:40
See ATC's Hunting and the A.T. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805497/k.C545/Hunting_and_the_AT.htm) for more information.

Is hunting allowed on George Washington NF?

Absolutely! Please be advised there is no safety zone, posted or otherwise and hunters may have no idea they are near the A.T.

I would like to know if I am safe or not, at least legally speaking?

I have no idea what you mean unless you are referring to the amount of visible fluorescent orange required by law. Pennsylvania may be the only A.T. state which requires hikers to wear fluorescent orange and then only on its State Game Lands from November 15 to December 15 during which its general firearms deer season occurs.

Your question might be best answered by a licensed hunter from Virginia or by calling the regulatory agency.

Cookerhiker
11-13-2010, 15:42
Looks like hunting in GWNF is allowed although this reference from their website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTSw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAng7kaQ!!/?ss=110808&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110200000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&recid=null&actid=null&groupid=null&ttype=activity&pname=George Washington & Jefferson National Forests- Hunting) is rather pithy. I suggest you give them a call.

Skyline
11-13-2010, 15:47
Unless you have a specific reason to hike Rockfish south to James River, consider hiking north from Rockfish into SNP. No hunting allowed in SNP.

Aesculus
11-13-2010, 15:48
I have no idea what you mean unless you are referring to the amount of visible orange you will be wearing.

I was referring to if there would be people hunting there legally versus the off chance somebody was there illegally hunting since it is legal in the counties surrounding the NF. Since it is firearm season for Deer, I am probably going to have to find another place to hike.

emerald
11-13-2010, 16:24
Except for migratory game birds, each individual state has responsibility for regulating game species within its boundaries. Furthermore, county lines don't break at National Forest boundaries.

GracefulRoll
11-13-2010, 16:59
As stated above, yes, hunters may not know they are near a trail, but sometimes they do as was my experience a few days ago on the A. Layne trail on the way up to Tinker Cliffs. The hunter was also hunting very close to if not actually on private property for the nearby cement plant, so I don't know what that was about. I would say it was about 25-35 feet away from trail area that was kept near barbed wire fences to mark the private property.

Had to declare my presence since I wasn't wearing blaze orange. I feel he should have kept a better distance, as I was definitely not the only person walking through, but shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Just be careful.

Aesculus
11-13-2010, 18:27
Unless you have a specific reason to hike Rockfish south to James River, consider hiking north from Rockfish into SNP. No hunting allowed in SNP.

I have been section hiking the trail and have already hiked through SNP.

I feel fairly safe with a blaze on, I wonder now if I am being foolish in hiking despite the fact it is the hunting season. Unfortunately due to the constraints of when I can take vacation, this is one of the few times that I can take an extended amount of time. :(

The ATC hunting season information includes a comment about avoiding the trail during "Deer Firearm Season," so that is continually nagging me.

Any other suggestions for a 5 day hike, preferably somewhere south of SNP and North of Bear Mountain? I am outside Philadelphia, so the southern and northern ends of the trail are out of my driving range.

emerald
11-13-2010, 18:38
I feel fairly safe with a blaze [orange vest, pack cover or hat] on...

The ATC hunting season information includes a comment about avoiding the trail during "deer firearm season," so that is continually nagging me.

The risks assumed by hikers are arguably higher when high-powered, riifled weapons are permitted than when muzzle-loaders, shotguns, crossbows or compound bows are in use. More hunters (including more inexperienced hunters) tend to be afield during the general firearms deer seasons and, given the greater range of the weapons, the potential for misidentifying an intended target increases.

If you cannot hike at some other time and are willing to accept the same risks hunters take, then go for it. It's a calculated risk albeit a small one. You no doubt will assume greater risks driving to the A.T. and back home.

Majortrauma
11-13-2010, 19:18
Obviously you're a non-hunter. Take a chill-pill, wear blaze orange; no one is going to shoot you.

Blissful
11-13-2010, 19:31
I hiked through hunting season this fall from NJ to GA with a blaze orange vest strapped to my backpack. I saw guys hunting right on the trail (though they moved their guns to their shoulders when they saw me). Some had dogs. The only time that kind of scared me was when a rifle shot went off in the woods right next to me while I was hiking (didn't see the hunter, but it sounded very close). Really though, no issues at all.

Blissful
11-13-2010, 19:33
Any other suggestions for a 5 day hike, preferably somewhere south of SNP and North of Bear Mountain? I am outside Philadelphia, so the southern and northern ends of the trail are out of my driving range.

Grayson Highlands area in southwest VA. Lone Wolf can sometimes shuttle you out of Damascus.

topshelf
11-14-2010, 14:24
Just wear orange on your front and pack and you'll be fine

I have been on the AT in VA south of Marion and I have been shot at by a hunter, I was foolishly NOT wearing orange. The bullet whizzed over my right shoulder about 10 feet away. I dropped my pack and tried to chase the guy down, but did not catch up because he was mere feet from a road and he hoped in his truck and peeled out. Many hunters use the AT to get to remote sections of woods easily, one of them being my dad(he won't shoot ya). On Saturday mornings I usually try to make as much human noise as possible so there will be no confusion when the most hunters are in the woods. I just whistle and if it won't drive you crazy you can wear a hiking bell used for bears

Sly
11-14-2010, 14:37
Obviously you're a non-hunter. Take a chill-pill, wear blaze orange; no one is going to shoot you.

No one? Try again...

The CDC did a study (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00044112.htm) for 6 years in the early 90s. Out of 125 people shot by hunters that were mistaken for game, only 6 were wearing hunter orange. If you are hiking in hunting season, at least get yourself a brightly colored shirt or pack. Or wear a bright orange bandanna or hat.

topshelf
11-15-2010, 19:14

Not meaning to be rude, but I was listening to the radio in the car and heard this...

A man was shot and killed by his hunting buddies this weekend in George Washington NF in Alleghany County, VA.

http://www.wset.com/Global/story.asp?S=13503817

topshelf
11-15-2010, 19:15
This posting was started hours after the shooting on Saturday