PDA

View Full Version : Ship Of Spam

Mother Natures Son
11-13-2010, 18:35
After that cruise ship got back to port (earlier this week), they told of eating mostly cold Spam and Pop Tarts for four days. I got to wonder how many hikers had ate that way on the trail? Wouldn't eating that stuff long enough make your eyes cross? LOL:banana

Luddite
11-13-2010, 18:39
I've never eaten Spam and never will and Pop Tarts make me gag. I probably would have starved on that ship. I have survived for quite a while on Ramen...I don't recommend it.

4eyedbuzzard
11-13-2010, 18:52
Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Luddite
11-13-2010, 18:59
I was reading Wikipedia the GIs in WWII referred to Spam as "ham that didn't pass its physical" and "meatloaf without basic training". Supposedly, the soldiers ate tons of the stuff.

Big Dawg
11-13-2010, 19:00
I think I remember having spam once when I was a kid,,, thought it was gross. The recent cruise news made me consider buying some just to see if I liked it now. My friend used to bring the spam singles on hikes, but I never had the desire to ask him for a bite. He seemed to enjoy them tho. Maybe I'll finally try it again. My adult taste buds may find it tasty. :-?

Iceaxe
11-13-2010, 19:01
I love spam. It tastes even better if you lightly "grill" it in your pot over the alcohol stove. My favorite trail meal was a real cheddar cheese, spam, and mayonaise burrito. Get the mayo packets from towns that have a deli/ grocery store.
Second favorite was nutella and peanut butter burrito with cheddar[salivating!] YUM!. :p
Pop tarts on the other hand get old. I skip them now and just take more snickers bars in their place.
I bet all those folks on that ship thought they might die eating such a diet.
Hey, when you are REALLY hungry who cares what it is as long as it's food!:D

Miner
11-13-2010, 19:10
If they added instant mash patotoes and cliff/power bars to their diet, they would have been eating just like many thru-hikers. I didn't grow up eating SPAM, but I know people who do eat it and have served it to me at their homes. I discoverd SPAM doesn't taste bad eating it straight if you grill/fry it some first. Most people are just turned off at the idea of SPAM and all the negative hype around it rather then the taste of it. On the trail, I often just sliced up those single packets into my dinner of Mashed Pototes, Coscus, Litpon, etc and my meals tasted better for it. I came to like it in my dinners more the tuna which I also did plenty of.

Blissful
11-13-2010, 19:35
I ate that stuff on my hike. I lost 15 lbs. Brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts, yum. Spam is great :)

Rick500
11-13-2010, 19:43
I haven't had Spam for years, but I remember it being salty and not otherwise too bad.

Love Pop Tarts though, although I only eat them when I'm out hiking.

Luddite
11-13-2010, 19:54
Love Pop Tarts though, although I only eat them when I'm out hiking.

They taste like fruit flavored plaster to me.

Rocket Jones
11-13-2010, 20:08
I love Spam, but now get the lower-sodium kind. It's much better grilled and/or hot. Pop Tarts? Only if there's nothing else.

Old Hillwalker
11-13-2010, 20:31
I was stationed in Hawaii from 1961 to 1964. Spam was considered a delicacy there (still is). I ate it at least 3X a week having just gotten married and was a poor E5 so it fit into our budget quite well. I still eat it at least 2X a month. Fried, in a casserole, just plain as a sandwich meat between two slices of bread. A single serving mashed up in the foil pack and then added to almost anything and it,s great!

TheChop
11-13-2010, 20:37
Just to put this cruise ship in perspective...

http://i.imgur.com/TElC3.png

It's unfortunate and I'm sure it wasn't pleasant but the way the news has represented this is stupid.

Northern Lights
11-14-2010, 01:20
I never liked spam, when we hiked the Chilkoot this summer someone in our party had some and I tried it again. After hiking all day that big glob of fat and salt was delicious!

It's definately on my list of things to take on future hikes.

Big Dawg
11-14-2010, 10:54
that big glob of fat and salt was delicious!

Only a backpacker can truly appreciate that statement!!

Rick500
11-14-2010, 13:02
They taste like fruit flavored plaster to me.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm strangely fond of that flavor. :-?

Luddite
11-14-2010, 13:13

http://i.imgur.com/TElC3.png

It's unfortunate and I'm sure it wasn't pleasant but the way the news has represented this is stupid.

The story about the ship (stench, cold food endurance) does seem pretty trivial compared to what Haiti is going through. I didn't even know Cholera was still around.

SweetAss03
11-14-2010, 13:52
TheChop thank you for the post. I was looking for a way to express what a bunch of sniveling spoiled brats. Such a none issue. Sit on you boat for a couple of days and enjoy the time spent without hassles for god sake.

4eyedbuzzard
11-14-2010, 14:50
The cruise passengers were reasonably compensated from my understand. They received a full refund (probably less port fees) and a voucher for a similar free cruise at a later date (again probably of same or lesser value which the likely could upgrade if desired). Port fees, transportation to the port, etc. were likely not included.

In their defense, however, the passenger's vacations were pretty much ruined, and I doubt many WB members, if they had paid for, scheduled, etc. a cruise or other luxury type vacation would have been very happy with the situation. For many it was probably a once in a lifetime vacation and the time lost is hard to put economic value on.

Just because some here don't find the vacation choices of others to be agreeable to them is no reason mock everyone on board - most passenger's took it in stride and chalked it up to "one of life's unexpected experiences".

If the presence of human misery in the world were a reason not to pursue something enjoyable, no one could claim being righteous for spending money, time, or using any "scarce resources" for hiking a trail either.

Just trying to TRULY put it in perspective.

leaftye
11-14-2010, 15:05
I've been hearing a bit about these guys since the ship was pulled here into San Diego.

As to spam. Gross. I never found a taste for it even though I've tried. That's just me though. I'd much prefer corned beef or tuna.

And yes, it seems that the passengers were very well taken care of. I think it's a complete refund of this trip, 25% discount on a future trip, full lodging and transportation. Only 3% of the passengers said they wouldn't go on a cruise again. The employees are being taken care of too with lodging, base pay and pay for expected tips. That's a lot of money for about 2400 people, with half of them being passengers.

sbhikes
11-14-2010, 21:30
The only thing about Spam that is gross is the gelatinous matter that comes with it. One of my favorite meals growing up was scrambled eggs, spam, onions, cheese and potatoes. Mmmm. I brought spam a few times on my hike, but it's not as good dropped into a pot of something as it is fried in a pan so it gets a little browned. Mmmm. Now I want some Spam.

Speer Carrier
11-14-2010, 21:39
I agree on the Haiti thing. Lots of people are having a much tougher time than the cruisers. Going on a cruise is always somewhat of a crap shoot. If weather keeps you out of a port, tough luck, no reduction in fare. Several years ago I heard about a cruise that missed all of it's ports of call due to weather. Just sailed out for half the week, then back to port.

TheChop
11-14-2010, 21:51
Just because some here don't find the vacation choices of others to be agreeable to them is no reason mock everyone on board - most passenger's took it in stride and chalked it up to "one of life's unexpected experiences".

I've got no problem with people taking cruises and eating at AYCE buffets while Haiti burns. That's the way the world works and there's not a lot you can do about it.

My problem is with the media. The way the narrative is presented you'd think people were running around the ship like in the novel The Road. Roving bands of cannibals on deck 7! Fighting to the death over a banana! It's presenting an awkward and unpleasant experience as some sort of humanitarian crisis. If things got really hairy on the ship food and water could have been helicoptered out among other solutions.

TheChop
11-14-2010, 21:53
The only thing about Spam that is gross is the gelatinous matter that comes with it. One of my favorite meals growing up was scrambled eggs, spam, onions, cheese and potatoes. Mmmm. I brought spam a few times on my hike, but it's not as good dropped into a pot of something as it is fried in a pan so it gets a little browned. Mmmm. Now I want some Spam.

My brother was a terribly picky eater growing up but one of the things my mom found he really liked was basically hashbrowns and spam. The oil from the spam fried the hashbrowns. We called it taters 'n spam. I liked it alright but he ate the hell out of it.

leaftye
11-14-2010, 21:57

That isn't the only thing that bothers me. I think it's that it kinds of looks like ham, so I expect it to be like normal ham, but the taste and texture are all wrong. That, and I haven't found any spices to make it complementary to other foods. Whatever, it doesn't matter. People have different tastes. At least the ship had some type of reserves to get them by when things went wrong.

Sierra Echo
11-14-2010, 22:02
I've got no problem with people taking cruises and eating at AYCE buffets while Haiti burns. That's the way the world works and there's not a lot you can do about it.

My problem is with the media. The way the narrative is presented you'd think people were running around the ship like in the novel The Road. Roving bands of cannibals on deck 7! Fighting to the death over a banana! It's presenting an awkward and unpleasant experience as some sort of humanitarian crisis. If things got really hairy on the ship food and water could have been helicoptered out among other solutions.

I'll bet those Chilean miners are relived that they didn't have to endure the horrors the Carnival passengers did. :eek:

LIhikers
11-14-2010, 22:16
I think I remember having spam once when I was a kid........ Maybe I'll finally try it again. My adult taste buds may find it tasty. :-?

If you relish head cheese, then you might like spam!

fredmugs
11-15-2010, 10:56

Why do some people have to take every post and turn it into a fourm for their political views? Start your own post and quit hijacking those of others.

Spirit Walker
11-15-2010, 11:06
Jim used to eat spam sandwiches all the time on the trail. When you're hiking and hungry, the calories are very welcome. I can only eat it if it's cooked. We chop Spam into a lot of our dinners - mac n cheese and spanish rice especially. I've gotten really sick of tuna, but spam is always good. The single servings and small cans are a real plus. When Jim ate spamwiches, he'd open one of the big cans and eat out of it for three or four days. By the last day the meat was gray or green. Yech.

I used to love poptarts on the trail, but they are so heavy and fragile they always ended up two days out as spooncookies. I haven't carried any in years. But if I were aboard the ship, I'd have been happy to eat them.

Old Hiker
11-16-2010, 15:10
I ate Spam when young and at summer camp and didn't like it too much. Just a tad too salty for me. Our camp counselors claimed they took a case of it, sealed it up, tossed in the river for a week and when they pulled it back up, the case had multiplied into 3!

Took a Spam single on a section hike 2 years ago for "just in case". I thought even a small can would be too much weight. Looked at it after 3 days and decided to try a nibble. Ended up licking the wrapper! Tasted great. I'll take several each section hike now. Calories, salt, etc. Won't melt in the wrapper - tastes good cold - not much trash.

Hikes in Rain
11-16-2010, 16:00
I haven't had Spam in a good long while, but the taste always reminds me of camping with my family back when I was a kid. Always a staple for us, usually with eggs. Maybe it's time for a trip down memory lane...

Big Dawg
11-16-2010, 17:25
I was grocery shopping yesterday & decided to p/u a spam single. Well,,, uhhhh,,, not the greatest, but not the worst. It tasted kinda like cheap ham, minced up and reformed into a patty, w/ a load of extra salt. I can imagine it tasting better fried, as others have stated. After a few nibbles, I threw it away. With so many backpacking food options these days, I can't see spam making it into the menu.

Mizirlou
11-16-2010, 17:42
My lifelong Spam sandwich addiction: fry thin slices til crispy dark on both sides, slap it between 2 pieces of toast, apply ketchup. Same with baloney but you've gotta cut a hole in the top so it doesn't turn into a baloney bubble.

Fried shredded wheat is good, too.

beakerman
11-16-2010, 17:57
There are people in this country that have it tougher than those cruise folks...and they live like that every freaking day. I have nothing against taking a vacation...even an expensive one to each his own.

I would hardly call it suffering though to be forced to eat like that. What a bunch of panzies. Crying and acting like thy just got released from Iranian prison. Get a grip and some perspective at no point in time were they in any real danger they did actually have food availible and clean drinking water. OHH the toilets didn't flush for a few hours...big fraking deal. Take it up with management and get your money back and move on.

Anyway I'm done ranting.

I love fried spam on some toasted wheat with a little spicy mustard.

double d
11-17-2010, 04:39
There are people in this country that have it tougher than those cruise folks...and they live like that every freaking day. I have nothing against taking a vacation...even an expensive one to each his own.

I would hardly call it suffering though to be forced to eat like that. What a bunch of panzies. Crying and acting like thy just got released from Iranian prison. Get a grip and some perspective at no point in time were they in any real danger they did actually have food availible and clean drinking water. OHH the toilets didn't flush for a few hours...big fraking deal. Take it up with management and get your money back and move on.

Anyway I'm done ranting.

Well said, in my opinion.

TheYoungOne
11-17-2010, 11:44
There are those indivual packets of spam that seem good for the trail. I'm not a big fan, but I'll eat it. I think I packed it once, and ate it as a breakfast meat. It taste like the inside of a hotdog only softer.

I love Pop Tarts, however I never was able to pack them without them getting crushed. They are pretty cheap, and I notice them a lot in small stores and gas stations. I'm suprised no a lot of thru hikers use them. Oatmeal gets kind of old, and it does not have a lot of calories.

mister krabs
11-17-2010, 11:55
I love spam. Fried on a bagel with mayo. Cubed in lentils or split peas. Diced in scrambled eggs. Fried with onions and potatos.

There's so many ways to make it taste good.

shellanders
11-17-2010, 12:49
I do believe that Spam is not actually food fit for human consumption. I say this based on several things. #1 If it doesn't pass the sniff test, it shouldn't go in the mouth. Ever smelled Spam before eating it or cooking it? Ugh. #2 If your sniffer is broken, and you do try to eat it, yuck. I know there are a lot of people that eat it (and liver); but I just can't take the taste. #3. Final, proof positive it shouldn't be consumed by humans. I have a lab named Gator. He is the ultimate picture of a guy's dog. He's a brute that will eat anything - well, almost anything. He WON'T eat Spam. I mean when a dog, especially this dog, turns his nose up at it - something is very wrong here folks.

That being said, when you get hungry enough, flavor and taste goes out the window; you will eat your shoes if you have to.

Pop tarts - the only flavor I really like is the chocolate. But, then again, ti's chocolate! Wondering how to take chocolate on the trail.....any ideas?

Lone Wolf
11-17-2010, 13:00
#1 If it doesn't pass the sniff test, it shouldn't go in the mouth. Ever smelled cheese before eating it or cooking it? Ugh.

i hate cheese. it stinks

shellanders
11-17-2010, 13:21
Lone Wolf, I guess I have to break a couple of my own rules from time to time. You are right, cheese does stink. That being said, we are a family of rats and will eat cheese anytime and anywhere. Love it. But, I am not sure how it passed the sniff test when I was a kid.

Pony
11-17-2010, 14:52

Anyway I'm done ranting.

While I agree with your sentiment, I'm not sure that's the point. I would guess that a lot of people on that ship had to save the money and schedule time off work to go on the cruise. While not exactly suffering, I doubt many of the passengers intended to spend their vacation eating spam on the deck of a ship. I would be mostly upset that I wasted vacation time and probably wouldn't get the chance to go on another vacation until next summer. I'll bet the majority of the passengers are more disappointed than angry.

leaftye
11-17-2010, 16:59
Until earlier this morning I didn't realize that it was the Navy that provided food for these passengers.

Dkeener
11-19-2010, 18:27
Try this experiment next time you're in a grocery store. Read the ingredients on a can of Spam and then do the same for a can of potted meat food product.

Dennis

Skidsteer
11-19-2010, 21:42
Try this experiment next time you're in a grocery store. Read the ingredients on a can of Spam and then do the same for a can of potted meat food product.

Dennis

At least spam isn't gray. I have a pretty strong rule about not eating gray food.