PDA

View Full Version : sports bras

pixel
11-13-2010, 23:44
am hiking the AT in april and recently bought two sports bras to see what i thought. was REALLY surprised to find out how UNcomfortable they are between the chest and underarm. they rub - can't imagine wearing them with a pack. although i do love how they fit everywhere else! is there a sprots bra anyone would suggest?

GracefulRoll
11-14-2010, 00:00
I, personally, have never had any issues with sports bras rubbing with a pack.

Might I suggest you try a Fruit of the Loom t-shirt bra? No wires. Also, there are athletic racer back bras that clip in the front that I find pretty steadying.

I'm assuming you aren't running the trail and you don't have really large breasts, though, which is my case.

Furthermore, why even use a separate bra? Find an athletic tank top with built in support around the breast area. You can probably find these without overly wide straps and thick stitching underneath the armpits (which is probably where a lot of rubbing/chafing would happen).

SugarGirl
11-17-2010, 00:05
If you want ones without any fasteners you might try the Champions line at Target. they are stretchy and supportive and dry fairly quickly. i have a couple that I wear often and never had a chafing problem.

Vinya
01-11-2011, 19:54
I second the champions line. I use them to work out in and never have had any problems with them.

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 20:05
manzeers are bras and belong in this fourum. i will overlook this .ewww, its all girly in here. im out.

Sierra Echo
01-11-2011, 20:59
I have some big boobs and I LOVE nike sports bras. great support and keeps me dry!

skinewmexico
01-12-2011, 00:00
Wow. I'm a guy and I've heard of Title Nine Sports. http://www.titlenine.com/

stonedflea
01-26-2011, 20:59
i have an under armour sports bra and it's awesome... i ride run & ride horses, so a good sports bra is pretty important. i'm a 36c for reference, and i wore my ua on a 5 day hike a month or so ago and had no problems with chafing/bunching under my pack.

Sierra Echo
01-26-2011, 21:02
I actually looked at under armour sports bras at dicks sporting goods today. They look too flimsy for me. But im a 40D.

sonic
01-26-2011, 21:14
I actually looked at under armour sports bras at dicks sporting goods today. They look too flimsy for me. But im a 40D.
I'm a 40D also and I always wear Moving Comfort. They come in both underwire and not. Haven't worn anything since discovering these, for walking, hiking, running, kayaking, they work for any sport. www.movingcomfort.com (http://www.movingcomfort.com). They come in lots of cute colors, too, if that's important.

kanga
01-27-2011, 09:01
second on the moving comfort. i have two champions and they are a little too heavy duty for me, too stiff. moving comfort is sturdy and strong without being stiff. i would really like and ibex balance bra for the winter but i'm not spending $50 on a bra..

jlo
01-27-2011, 16:20
I have the Champion bras from Target and really like them, but they did chafe the first few times I used them. I found that after 3-4 wears, the chaffing stopped (kind of like breaking in a new pair of shoes). But they are stiff and more for running. I've heard some ladies on here talk about sports bras that clasp have a clasp and I'm going to look into that for hiking. Seems it would be much more comfortable and easier to change clothes than a traditional sports bra.

sonic
01-27-2011, 16:29
I have the Champion bras from Target and really like them, but they did chafe the first few times I used them. I found that after 3-4 wears, the chaffing stopped (kind of like breaking in a new pair of shoes). But they are stiff and more for running. I've heard some ladies on here talk about sports bras that clasp have a clasp and I'm going to look into that for hiking. Seems it would be much more comfortable and easier to change clothes than a traditional sports bra.
The moving comfort have clasps. I really hate the kind you have to pull over your head, especially if you or it is the least bit damp.:eek:

goldenhands
02-08-2011, 21:28
my vote is for Moving Comfort. i bought it at a title nine store. i'm a 32DD, maybe bigger... the straps adjust w/ velcro in front, so there's nothing digging into your shoulder blades.

zombiegrad
02-20-2011, 12:23
I purchased the moving comfort (fiona) on recommendations from this thread, and WOW. Love it! I wear size 36DD and this bra packs the girls down nicely and provides incredible support. For the quality, it was cheaper than I expected, too. Very happy. Question: one bra or two for an AT thru?

Fog Horn
03-16-2011, 09:16
I would suggest two, but different designs and here is why:

When you're sweaty all day every day you might start to develop a rash where your bra line is. Nothing, to me, is more painful that a heat rash along the seam of my sports bra. If you have two different styles, you can treat the rash while not aggravating it by wearing the other style that won't fall in the same spot. I have sensitive skin though.

I also plan on taking two so I can trail wash one in a ziplock back while wearing the other one. If there are two items I want clean as much as possible, its the two closest to my skin, my bra and my undies.

Mrs Baggins
03-16-2011, 09:43
I'm not particularly chesty - 38 C - and I only use a stretch camisole (always in black) with a lining in it for the "bra" area. I get them at Target for less than $20. They're much easier to put on than a sports bra (which I find tend to roll up unless I buy them too big), keep my torso warmer, and can be worn around camp like any tank top. They keep things plenty well "braced" for me and I can wear it in camp without looking like I'm about to flop out of something.

CherrypieScout
06-28-2011, 19:10
I'm looking for a sports bra that would dry over night. The dri-fit, wicking type I've found so far are damp in the mornings. Don't need much support for the girls. I would like something that drys out as fast as my shirts do.

carpediemkath
06-30-2011, 01:16
Have you tried the bras from Athleta? They make a few that are antimicrobial and they really work! I took TWO of the Sprint Seamless Bra Tops for a three week section of the AT and they were the most comfortable bras I've ever worn. And they never got smelly. If I hung it up in the shelter overnight, the fog and humidity would make it feel wet and clammy. But if I slept with it inside my sleeping bag, it was completely dry every morning.

Twister2012
07-04-2011, 19:10
:dthank you!

christine_
07-08-2011, 22:30
Hi :) New to the forum and planning a 2012 hike.
Looking for an ultralight sports bra. I'm a B cup so not too much to cover up..
So far I'm leaning toward the Patagonia barely bra (@ $29) -.9 oz //87% Polyester (69% recycled)/13% spandex
I like the Athleta Bra's (particularly for the anti-odor quality) but I'm not sure how much they weigh. Does anyone know or have any other suggestions? Thanks!

christine_
07-18-2011, 13:35
I decided that weight doesn't matter nearly as much as drying power does, since I'll be wearing it :) Can anyone attest to the Moving Comfort Fiona bra's drying speed? Thanks

Bear Cables
07-18-2011, 20:36
Danceskins from walmart...light weight without being flimsy and come in an assortment of colors.

stars in her eyes
07-18-2011, 20:46
If you want ones without any fasteners you might try the Champions line at Target. they are stretchy and supportive and dry fairly quickly. i have a couple that I wear often and never had a chafing problem.

+1 for the Champion sports bra! I buy them in a 2-pack at Costco. They're awesome. Fast-drying and super-supportive. I live in them.

DadSaidNotTo
07-23-2011, 20:34
I'm not a hiker (just a hiker's GF), but I am a fairly well-endowed horseback rider, and I've ditched sports bras in favor of minimizer bras from Wacoal. The model that I prefer is a nylon/poly blend without underwires, and it's incredibly comfortable and quick-drying. It's supportive enough that I can sit a bouncy trot without feeling like I'm in danger of giving myself a black eye, and holds up very well to hard use.

MightyMouse
02-22-2012, 16:52
I'm going to hike part of the Foothills Trail with my husband in April. Being uncomfortable wearing a bra almost any time (56yo, 33nearlyB), and never having found one that suits...I'm just found something on TitleNine, from Moving Comfort, that I'm going to try. Thanks for all the suggestions - hike ON!

Maren
02-22-2012, 18:19
This thread reminded me of a sports bra company whose website has an interesting sales pitch: the Bounce-o-meter. It's, um, frightening and hypnotic: http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/bounceometer/shock.html

Ladyofthewoods
02-22-2012, 19:01
Someone mentioned placing their bra in the sleeping bag to dry overnight. Do you place it in there wet?! I'm about to head out on AT and I've been wondering how to dry my bra without hanging it off of my pack during the day :-)

sbhikes
02-22-2012, 19:14
I use something like this:
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-womens-active-mesh-bra?p=32104-1-374

I find that I really don't need the support of the bra when I'm backpacking. The backpack kind of takes care of any bouncing (I'm a C-cup) because of the sternum strap. What I need is protection from chafing and modesty so something fairly flimsy works best. It dries fast, too, and I can sleep in it without hardly knowing it's there and there are no fasteners so nothing digs into my back.

The other thing I do is wear a tank top that has a built-in shelf bra.

sterling98
02-23-2012, 16:17
target synthetic kind. Champion brand. No problems. Weighs about three ounces but, it's comfortable.

MightyMouse
02-23-2012, 23:21
Once again, I've had a time...I cannot stand racer-backs, they drive me insane - too many injuries in that area, maybe...so after searching Patagonia, Danskin, and every other bra brand mentioned here, I found this at TitleNine, and ordered it today. http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/wicking-sports-bras/310908.do?sortby=ourPicks Being back to an A cup again, and only 33 around, am I going to have to start looking in the girls departments again? That's where my little grandma had to shop...*sigh*

Sierra Echo
02-23-2012, 23:24
Once again, I've had a time...I cannot stand racer-backs, they drive me insane - too many injuries in that area, maybe...so after searching Patagonia, Danskin, and every other bra brand mentioned here, I found this at TitleNine, and ordered it today. http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/wicking-sports-bras/310908.do?sortby=ourPicks Being back to an A cup again, and only 33 around, am I going to have to start looking in the girls departments again? That's where my little grandma had to shop...*sigh*

Enjoy it. I'm DD. My boobs hang out the bottom of my sports bras. It aint cute.